Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Assuming linear scaling, SLI and CrossFire are excellent values and a great way to improve the performance of your machine!

I mean, I know what Intel is going for is a lot more scalable, but I'd be pretty impressed if they actually got close to linear performance with first round hardware and drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unless Intel has seriously hosed up, they should absolutely get linear scaling. Multi chip is very different from XF/SLI. GPUs are ultra-parallel computers. Building a multi-chiplet GPU should fundamentally be easier than building a multi-chiplet CPU like Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc.

I expect these products to suck, but that should be because it's a new baby architecture with tons of catching up to do and inevitably immature drivers. The chiplet thing is where everyone is going, AMD and Nvidia are taking their time because they already have existing architectures that are worth working with for now, but they will ultimately end up in the same place.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
In theory it should be, sure. But at the same time, there are reasons that AMD and NVidia haven't gone there yet, and it's not all just because it's easy to keep churning on current arch. If it was that easy, NVidia in particular would likely already be doing it, rather than futzing around with NVLink.

I agree that it's absolutely the future, but getting it working right isn't trivial.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

I'm looking for a pc case.

it must be pinku (thats japanese for pink) or any girl color. It has to be of 2 or more ATX kubota (thats japanese for 2 compartments) and has be be chibi (small) sized for LANs. And has to be really kawaii (cute). Also It has to be about 10-20 bux. And you have to post pics of it first (i want to make shure it's kawaii [cute]). And it would be nice if it came with matching GPU (WITH backplate). OH! and it CANNOT have any cartoon pictures, or be made out of plastic. It has to be made of aluminum, or something like that. Also it would be nice if it was made in japan. and not in china or corea (korea) or whatever. I have found a pc case similar to the one im describing in e-bay, but it was M-ITX, and i dont want my GPU to touch my other things (it can get wet and i would not like that, plus E-ATX looks more kawaii)

same

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
For fiddling with my Pulse 5600 XT settings am I better off using the Sapphire Trixx software or something like Afterburner? I seem to recall some are better than others.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

In theory it should be, sure. But at the same time, there are reasons that AMD and NVidia haven't gone there yet, and it's not all just because it's easy to keep churning on current arch. If it was that easy, NVidia in particular would likely already be doing it, rather than futzing around with NVLink.

I agree that it's absolutely the future, but getting it working right isn't trivial.

Yep. If scheduling was trivial, chiplet gpus would've been a thing ages ago.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Scottish guy made a video about how lovely AMD's graphics drivers are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-QSi_yvoU

I personally have an RX 580 (Polaris) and I haven't had any issues but it sounds like people with Vega and Navi are seeing a lot more issues.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Mr.Radar posted:

The Scottish guy made a video about how lovely AMD's graphics drivers are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-QSi_yvoU

I personally have an RX 580 (Polaris) and I haven't had any issues but it sounds like people with Vega and Navi are seeing a lot more issues.

I seen the black screen for the first time yesterday but only effected my primary monitor which uses display port, a restart fixed it though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much more optimized are games on current consoles compared to equivalent PCs?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shaocaholica posted:

How much more optimized are games on current consoles compared to equivalent PCs?

How long is a piece of string? Some games are better than others. God of War is black magic that has no right running on the hardware that it does, for example.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

How long is a piece of string? Some games are better than others. God of War is black magic that has no right running on the hardware that it does, for example.

So basically, a lot more optimized but never less.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Considering developers know exactly what is in consoles, while they have to design for literally millions of different combinations of PC hardware, it's not exactly surprising that if you got a roughly equivalent PC to console spec, it will never run the same game on equivalent settings quite as well.

There's a reason they can get games like Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 to run on Switch

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol Doom 2016 is on the switch? I don't get out much.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

So basically, a lot more optimized but never less.
I wouldn't state that in absolutes because there are probably a handful of games which would run as well or better depending on how you define "equivalent PC". But in general, yeah, they're going to be more optimized on consoles because that's both feasible (little variance in hard- and software to optimize for) and necessary (if your game doesn't run on consoles, you fail certification - but you can throw your PC version onto Steam and hope not enough people with affected configurations will play it or write reviews before you can patch :v:).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

wargames posted:

I seen the black screen for the first time yesterday but only effected my primary monitor which uses display port, a restart fixed it though.

On the first black it crashed, a restart fixed it tho
A cartridge for a filetree

On the second black it crashed, a restart fixed it tho
Two hours gone, and
A cartridge for a filetree

Imagine how glorious and resonating the choir sounds while singing "a restart fixed it tho" like it's AMDs new company motto lmao

Ahh sick days are such a double edged sword of pants making GBS threads and poo poo posting

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 12, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Considering developers know exactly what is in consoles, while they have to design for literally millions of different combinations of PC hardware, it's not exactly surprising that if you got a roughly equivalent PC to console spec, it will never run the same game on equivalent settings quite as well.

There's a reason they can get games like Witcher 3 and Doom 2016 to run on Switch

Are PCs using a lot more APIs to deal with hardware variance then consoles? It sounds like I'm being snarky but I honestly don't know. I'm assuming that counts for a lot of performance regression.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
One thing to consider is that different hardware has different strengths (for example, one method of achieving something might work better on AMD graphics card of a specific generation than Nvidia cards): With a console, you know the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware and can specifically chose algorithms that favor these machines.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You also don't have to worry about the user setting up unrealistic settings or even wanting customisation options on a console, you set precisely the level of quality you want.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol Doom 2016 is on the switch? I don't get out much.

Been out a while & surprisingly plays well at 720p on it

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Lambert posted:

One thing to consider is that different hardware has different strengths (for example, one method of achieving something might work better on AMD graphics card of a specific generation than Nvidia cards): With a console, you know the strengths and weaknesses of the hardware and can specifically chose algorithms that favor these machines.

I feel like this is less and less applicable with consoles and PCs being so similar now days. Any optimizations/algorithms you do on either platform would most likely be applicable to the other. The only thing I can think of is that generally CPUs are better on PCs because they kind of need to be but consoles have better memory setup like the X with its all GDDR5. It's crazy that the X is only like $200-250 now on the used market.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaocaholica posted:

I feel like this is less and less applicable with consoles and PCs being so similar now days. Any optimizations/algorithms you do on either platform would most likely be applicable to the other. The only thing I can think of is that generally CPUs are better on PCs because they kind of need to be but consoles have better memory setup like the X with its all GDDR5. It's crazy that the X is only like $200-250 now on the used market.

It's more that the game might not run as well as it could if you run methods that work better on AMD cards on an Nvidia card, for example (like specific optimizations for the GCN-era architecture in consoles).

In regards to RAM, consoles are pretty memory starved; and for CPU computing purposes, GDDR5 isn't better-suited than DDR.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Shaocaholica posted:

For all the talk about future GPU's, about the only area that really piques my interest on the PC these days is APU's, specifically what they'll be able to do when HBM finally gets affordable enough to actually include 8+gb in one and still keep it relatively cheap (in other words, not hades-canyon pricing).

They're just so constrained on the PC now with DDR4, and I think the next gen consoles will start to show that contrast in price/perf with the PC more than ever before when the major bottleneck in their APU currently - the CPU - will no longer be the case. I mean according to everything we know, the next PS4/Xbox would make for a honkin' PC in all aspects - storage, cpu, gpu. I mean technically you could use the APU in an X currently being sold as a PC, but it's CPU would be pancaked by any dual-core I3 in everyday tasks and the 2.5 HDD would further compound that. That won't be the case going forward, and albeit an entirely different memory system in the consoles means a transition to a PC product is certainly not easy, I hope AMD takes their experience with building APU's on a power level that haven't existed before and eventually releases something on the PC in the same price/performance class.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lambert posted:

It's more that the game might not run as well as it could if you run methods that work better on AMD cards on an Nvidia card, for example (like specific optimizations for the GCN-era architecture in consoles).

Wolfenstein 2 has a pretty good demonstration of this, they implemented a compute-based geometry culling system to work around GCNs weak raster pipe, but made it optional on PC. It turns out that on Nvidia cards it's usually faster to disable the culling pass and let the raster pipe brute force through everything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

You also don't have to worry about the user setting up unrealistic settings or even wanting customisation options on a console, you set precisely the level of quality you want.

but will you get it?
NO
1080p upscaled to 4k isnt 4k and 60 fps dipping to 30 regularly isnt 60fps

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

For all the talk about future GPU's, about the only area that really piques my interest on the PC these days is APU's, specifically what they'll be able to do when HBM finally gets affordable enough to actually include 8+gb in one and still keep it relatively cheap (in other words, not hades-canyon pricing).

They're just so constrained on the PC now with DDR4, and I think the next gen consoles will start to show that contrast in price/perf with the PC more than ever before when the major bottleneck in their APU currently - the CPU - will no longer be the case. I mean according to everything we know, the next PS4/Xbox would make for a honkin' PC in all aspects - storage, cpu, gpu. I mean technically you could use the APU in an X currently being sold as a PC, but it's CPU would be pancaked by any dual-core I3 in everyday tasks and the 2.5 HDD would further compound that. That won't be the case going forward, and albeit an entirely different memory system in the consoles means a transition to a PC product is certainly not easy, I hope AMD takes their experience with building APU's on a power level that haven't existed before and eventually releases something on the PC in the same price/performance class.

I don't know what the investment level is for HBM3/3E but they seem to have the bus width down that just need to increase clock rate i think.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I mean according to everything we know, the next PS4/Xbox would make for a honkin' PC in all aspects - storage, cpu, gpu.

And according to everything we know, they won't. TDP constrained CPU combined with middle class graphics card and a cheap NVMe controller. They're not going to be honkin'.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 12, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
For the price they should have pretty great performance. $400 doesn't buy you a whole lot of PC, after all. But, yes, otherwise you're right--the overall performance compared to the PC market looks like it'll be decidedly middle of the road. Thing is, that's several steps up from where it is now, which is (understandably) making a lot of people with lower-end PCs nervous about being left behind.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think the combination of being middle of the road while also being massively optimized makes its attractive. Once you put a desktop OS and apps on there it would just be a goofy mid range PC although with a really good price/perf ratio because consoles are loss leaders but they won't let you do that so its merely a 'on paper' metric.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 12, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Shaocaholica posted:

I think the combination of being middle of the road while also being massively optimized makes its attractive. Once you put a desktop OS and apps on there it would just be a goofy mid range PC although with a really good price/perf ratio because consoles are loss leaders but they won't let you do that so its merely a 'on paper' metric.

The specs sound pretty good, people just like to poo poo on consoles for some reason despite the fact the hardware will be faster than a lot of peoples PCs. Too many people forget we’re the outliers here and a ton of people are still running hardware from the bulldozer and sandybridge eras.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sure. I wonder what their pricing will be; current expectation seems to be the $500-$600 range.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Lambert posted:

And according to everything we know, they won't. TDP constrained CPU combined with middle class graphics card and a cheap NVMe controller. They're not going to be honkin'.

So, only a PC better than 90% of Steam survey results then, ok

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

So, only a PC better than 90% of Steam survey results then, ok

To be fair, the public SteamSurvey results are hilariously problematic because of how everything gets counted. People who play a single Indy 2D game on their 5 year old laptop while waiting on hold at work get counted the same as anyone else, yet that person isn't necessarily the type to buy either a console or a gaming PC.

But, yes, upping the base power expectations for new games made for the next gen of consoles is going to force a LOT of people to upgrade off of machines they've been riding happily for years.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's less the laptops skewing the steam survey and more all the poors in China, Russia, and South America.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Yeah, doesn't Steam do something like count each login on the same computer as separate entries in their hardware report? That means low-spec Internet Cafe systems are over-represented in their stats because lots of different people will log in to them (though in a way that is an accurate representation of the market for games on Steam).

The other major public hardware survey I'm aware of is the Firefox hardware survey. According to that report 64% of systems have an Intel GPU (i.e. no dedicated graphics), 17% have Nvidia and 15% AMD (and the rest "other") and the dedicated GPUs tend strongly towards the older (the most popular specific models are cards from the late-00s/early-10s before Intel HD graphics really became acceptable for desktop use). The report also says 1080p screens only passed 768p screens in popularity last year(!) and dual core CPUs are still by far the most popular at 58% of the market, with quad cores following at 32%. Any system with 8 Zen 2 CPU cores (even downclocked) and a Radeon 5700-class (or better) GPU is absolutely better than 95% of the total PC market. Reading enthusiast PC forums really does skew your view of what people are using.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 13, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I don't think anyone's quite sure, but I believe the prevailing opinion is that each account gets counted separately--so yeah, from a certain perspective internet cafes have an outsized impact. From a different perspective, though, that's entirely the point, as you note: 100 dudes who only get to play games on a budget internet cafe don't magically count less than 1 dude who built his own PC. If you're a game developer and want to know what hardware your customers are actually using, those 100 poors may very well be a big chunk of your market.

The FireFox survey is in some ways even more problematic, since now you're bringing in massive numbers of work computers where people literally don't have a choice in what they use. Again, as a developer that's still very relevant information, but as a "what do people use at home" question, it's problematic.

And the "total PC market" is almost meaningless when you're talking about gaming. By that metric 90% of PCs will never be used for games other than maybe Farmville, because they're work machines, momtops, etc. The market of people who are willing to plunk down $500 on a console or $$$ on a PC is quite a bit smaller.

None of this really changes the end take-away, though: a lot of people who play games on PCs are going to need to upgrade once games developed assuming the performance of the next gen consoles start hitting shelves. That's really the only thing that matters.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

And the "total PC market" is almost meaningless when you're talking about gaming. By that metric 90% of PCs will never be used for games other than maybe Farmville, because they're work machines, momtops, etc.

Most of these PCs were replaced with iPads. X86 is overkill for timewaste gaming and less portable/disposable, which is what Mom wants.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I identify with Momtop

Craptacular! posted:

Most of these PCs were replaced with iPads. X86 is overkill for timewaste gaming and less portable/disposable, which is what Mom wants.

Yeah please tell this to MS re: sleep modes

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

B-Mac posted:

The specs sound pretty good, people just like to poo poo on consoles for some reason despite the fact the hardware will be faster than a lot of peoples PCs. Too many people forget we’re the outliers here and a ton of people are still running hardware from the bulldozer and sandybridge eras.

I still have a stack of daily driven Core2s.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Yeah, doesn't Steam do something like count each login on the same computer as separate entries in their hardware report? That means low-spec Internet Cafe systems are over-represented in their stats because lots of different people will log in to them (though in a way that is an accurate representation of the market for games on Steam).

I think they started adjusting for that at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s not that hard. Windows UUID or MAC address.