Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Put the phone in airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. See if you can continue the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Put the phone in airplane mode, then turn on WiFi. See if you can continue the update.

I was at work driving through backwoods. I really dont like that the phone can just decide to update poo poo on my data without prompting me. That poo poo sucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Galaxy phones do have a switch that says "Auto download over Wi-Fi" under Software Updates.

That's the thing, there is no way to choose auto-download on cellular. Cellular is always going to prompt to download while wifi has to option to prompt only or auto-download.

You think maybe you accidently brushed against the notification and initiated the download by accident?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

bull3964 posted:

Galaxy phones do have a switch that says "Auto download over Wi-Fi" under Software Updates.

That's the thing, there is no way to choose auto-download on cellular. Cellular is always going to prompt to download while wifi has to option to prompt only or auto-download.

You think maybe you accidently brushed against the notification and initiated the download by accident?

I really don't think so, but I hope so.

It doesn't seem to have eaten into my cap by much anyway, but that was still less than ideal. Out in the middle of nowhere, my phone adamant that now is the time to download a security update with seemingly no way to cancel. Ugh.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
So, got the s21 ultra and set it up. Thing is absolutely massive.

Coming from the iPhone, the 120 hz screen and the fingerprint sensor are super nice. Also, android has really come a long way since when I last used it in like 2014.

No iMessage really sucks though, as SMS/MMS just doesn't feel up to par in this day and age. I get that Apple doesn't play nice (nor does Google- RIP windows phone), but hangouts would have been a perfect replacement.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Zarfol posted:

Coming from the iPhone, the 120 hz screen and the fingerprint sensor are super nice. Also, android has really come a long way since when I last used it in like 2014.

No iMessage really sucks though, as SMS/MMS just doesn't feel up to par in this day and age. I get that Apple doesn't play nice (nor does Google- RIP windows phone), but hangouts would have been a perfect replacement.

if you have a mac, you can use something like airmessage (or the upcoming beeper) that uses a little java applet on macos as an imessage relay so you can use it on your phone.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

if you have a mac, you can use something like airmessage (or the upcoming beeper) that uses a little java applet on macos as an imessage relay so you can use it on your phone.

Interesting - thanks I'll have to check those out.

Would be a lot easier if Apple just had a subscription fee for iMessage and FaceTime. The amount of $$$ saving on an android phone value iPhone makes up the difference pretty easily.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can also sync up with the Your Phone app on your computer and do your texting and stuff from there, you can in fact control the whole phone from the computer.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Does anyone know how to get around the "screenshot is disabled due to security policy" thing? I use a stock trading app that blocks it for I guess my own protection but I usually swap stuff with friends but I can't take SS's now with the latest app update ☹️

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cr0y posted:

Does anyone know how to get around the "screenshot is disabled due to security policy" thing? I use a stock trading app that blocks it for I guess my own protection but I usually swap stuff with friends but I can't take SS's now with the latest app update ☹️

Someone printed an article on it just today. Some of the "solutions" require a second phone though.
https://www.techytab.com/cant-take-screenshot-due-to-security-policy.html

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Zarfol posted:

The closest thing in the android ecosystem is WhatsApp/Signal/Telegram/FB Messenger- but it's obviously not preinstalled, and different regions and groups prefer different ones.

I personally like Signal - you can set as your default SMS client, and then it smoothly upgrades if you talk to another Signal user. The one complaint I've heard is that it's not great if you routinely send SMSes to groups, but I can't remember doing that the last decade.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I still don't understand Google's reason for axing Hangouts and Google Reader. 2 perfectly fine products, but apparently something wasn't right for the overlords, I'd be really curious what it was.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hangouts isn't dead, it's just moving to Chat.

Reader is just a sign of the times, I'm surprised Feedly is still around as I can't imagine RSS is very popular anymore.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Reader is just a sign of the times, I'm surprised Feedly is still around as I can't imagine RSS is very popular anymore.

there's a whole ecosystem of rss services and apps alive and thriving on ios

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Use of RSS for end users peaked in like 2006 and awareness today is very low. Everyone gets their news updates from Twitter and Facebook or the curated news app on their mobile platform of choice.

There may be a hardcore group of users that trade in apps and RSS is still used in a lot of machine to machine communication, but it's not surprising that Google dropped it when they did.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I always assumed it was killed off because reading articles from RSS feeds allowed you to bypass the ads on the source site itself.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I always assumed it was killed off because reading articles from RSS feeds allowed you to bypass the ads on the source site itself.

If they had kept it alive, I imagine google would have pushed for some sort of integration with Amp, with an excuse about rich content. (The real reason obviously being adsense).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Google Reader died because Google wanted to move the Reader community (and their browsing) into Google+, and couldn't think of any way to convince people to use Google+ instead other than killing Reader and touting Google+ as the way forward. From the third link:

quote:

While Google did technically “own” Reader and could make some use of the huge amount of news and attention data flowing through it, it conflicted with their far more important Google+ strategy: they need everyone reading and sharing everything through Google+ so they can compete with Facebook for ad-targeting data, ad dollars, growth, and relevance.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

Use of RSS for end users peaked in like 2006 and awareness today is very low. Everyone gets their news updates from Twitter and Facebook or the curated news app on their mobile platform of choice.

Yeah, and I keep missing updates because Facebook and Twitter algorithms decided not to show them to me. I maintain that killing Reader ruined the internet.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Uthor posted:

Yeah, and I keep missing updates because Facebook and Twitter algorithms decided not to show them to me. I maintain that killing Reader ruined the internet.
rss didn't die just because google killed reader

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

rss didn't die just because google killed reader

Yeah, if people were nerdy enough to use Reader, they just moved on to something else like Feedly.

Reader being killed wouldn't have had a blip on RSS use.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

LastInLine posted:

I guess I'd check the card in a PC or Mac and see if there are any SD utilities that might help.

You said the space appears to be used, if you copy the "empty" folder to another location on the card using Solid, does the available space decrease and the new folder remain empty?

I finally took a look at the SD card on my computer today, the songs still weren't there, no hidden files I could see, and the space used on the SD card seemed to match the contents. I just copied all the music back on and it's fine. So the moral of the story is I don't really know what happened or why but the issue is resolved. :shrug:

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
What causes this white light?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

three posted:

A culmination of theological and political differences between the Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Churches.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

A culmination of theological and political differences between the Catholic Church and Eastern Orthodox Churches.

:golfclap:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

You can also sync up with the Your Phone app on your computer and do your texting and stuff from there, you can in fact control the whole phone from the computer.

I've been looking all over and can't find this on my Mac or Chromebook anywhere!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Reader was killed because it conflicted with Google's goal of ~the algorithm~ deciding what you saw, rather than a chronological start-to-finish list from user-specified sources

three posted:

It looks to me like the 'this is the top of the page' indicator, showing that you can't scroll any further.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Okay for gReader, I get it's about advertising.

But Hangouts I still don't get: they had a one-stop solution that could have rivaled iMessage, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, etc. but they tore it down, and split all of its features across several apps: SMS Messages, Allo, Duo, now Chat... Is there really such a huge benefit for them to have it split up like this?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a bunch of sites producing blogs, news etc. How the gently caress am I supposed to learn about them posting new content if not rss? I check my feeds daily with Inoreader.

Do people, like, manually go to every page they want to follow, every day, just to check if there's something new? Or how does that work?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I have a bunch of sites producing blogs, news etc. How the gently caress am I supposed to learn about them posting new content if not rss? I check my feeds daily with Inoreader.

Do people, like, manually go to every page they want to follow, every day, just to check if there's something new? Or how does that work?

Nah, you're supposed to follow all of those pages on FB, IG, Twitter, etc. and then check everyone of those pages manually; the algorithm will decide what content you crave :v:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ihmemies posted:

we found the guy they make those "do you want to allow this website to send you notifications" popups for

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

three posted:

That's the indicator that motion sense is checking for quick gesture actions using the Soli sensors built in to the Pixel 4.

It shows up when you're playing music, have an alarm going off, or the phone is ringing. You can do swipe actions over the phone to dismiss alarms/phone calls, change tracks, or pause/play music.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I use a password manager (bitwarden), and far too often I have to resort to copying and pasting the username and password. Occasionally the autofill API will pop up in gboard suggesting that I have a password in bitwarden, but far more frequently nothing pops up. Is there a way to trigger this that I just don't know? On the desktop you can just click the bitwarden icon but obviously that's not a thing mobile.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Grumpwagon posted:

I use a password manager (bitwarden), and far too often I have to resort to copying and pasting the username and password. Occasionally the autofill API will pop up in gboard suggesting that I have a password in bitwarden, but far more frequently nothing pops up. Is there a way to trigger this that I just don't know? On the desktop you can just click the bitwarden icon but obviously that's not a thing mobile.

It seems to depend on the app (or maybe website for browsers). Some apps will pop up the autofill prompt every time, some won't.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Chikimiki posted:

Okay for gReader, I get it's about advertising.

But Hangouts I still don't get: they had a one-stop solution that could have rivaled iMessage, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, etc. but they tore it down, and split all of its features across several apps: SMS Messages, Allo, Duo, now Chat... Is there really such a huge benefit for them to have it split up like this?

My understanding from a few engineers who worked at Google, the only way to get promotions is to ship a new product or "large" feature. There's zero incentive to maintain and improve an existing product. So that's one reason every app gets it's own chat application (you forgot Google Photo chat), it's an "easy" feature to ship and get a promotion. What happens after that? Deprecate it and pretend this is a good system for users

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I've been using a Pixel 5 for a while and I'm mostly happy with it, but there's one persistent issue I can't figure out. In some apps (but not all), the bottom of the screen will be unresponsive, unless I swipe up to make notifications visible. I use gesture navigation rather than the three button nav, which is definitely what's causing it, because when I switch to 3-button, it works fine. It seems to be only apps that hide the navigation by default; other apps that leave it visible work fine.

What I can't figure out is if there's anything I can do to make it work, or if it's just a problem with the apps themselves. I haven't found a setting in either Android or in Nova Launcher that affects it. Am I just out of luck?

In most cases it's just a minor annoyance, but I've run into one or two games that become unplayable because the navigation buttons are both along the bottom and small enough they're entirely covered by the dead zone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nighthand posted:

In some apps (but not all), the bottom of the screen will be unresponsive, unless I swipe up to make notifications visible.

What does this mean? Is this some kind of shortcut you're using in Nova? It's not a feature of gesture navigation.

Grumpwagon posted:

I use 1Password and it integrates with Gboard so even if an app doesn't autofill (and 1PW seems particularly bad at associating apps with passwords if I'm being honest, especially compared to LastPass) then the opportunity to search 1PW is in the suggestion bar. Does Bitwarden not do this?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

LastInLine posted:

What does this mean? Is this some kind of shortcut you're using in Nova? It's not a feature of gesture navigation.

The best I can describe it is some games "go fullscreen" and hide the nav buttons/swipe area at the bottom and the notifications bar at the top (+ bubbles like Messenger's chat heads). It doesn't seem to be a Nova feature, as it still happens when I switch back to Pixel Launcher and test it. I dunno what the behavior is specifically called or if there's a setting to tweak it anywhere, I haven't found it in poking around. It seems to be entirely in games, though to be honest I don't use my phone for too many apps other than games.

This game (Shootero), for example. Left side is normal operation, right side is after I swipe up to reveal the nav/notifications (and make the buttons more functional while they're visible). The red boxed-in area on the left side is approximately the area that's non-responsive until I swipe up or down.

Some other games do it, some don't, and all of the non-game apps I regularly use (Blink, my bank's app, Awful) don't.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think that's because "full-screen" can display over the navigation area, but it can't prevent input because if it did you wouldn't be able to leave. I think full-screen apps that do it properly hide the navigation line until you swipe up, so you can interact with that part of the screen until you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nighthand posted:

The best I can describe it is some games "go fullscreen" and hide the nav buttons/swipe area at the bottom and the notifications bar at the top (+ bubbles like Messenger's chat heads). It doesn't seem to be a Nova feature, as it still happens when I switch back to Pixel Launcher and test it. I dunno what the behavior is specifically called or if there's a setting to tweak it anywhere, I haven't found it in poking around. It seems to be entirely in games, though to be honest I don't use my phone for too many apps other than games.

This game (Shootero), for example. Left side is normal operation, right side is after I swipe up to reveal the nav/notifications (and make the buttons more functional while they're visible). The red boxed-in area on the left side is approximately the area that's non-responsive until I swipe up or down.

Some other games do it, some don't, and all of the non-game apps I regularly use (Blink, my bank's app, Awful) don't.

Maybe verify the entire screen works with something like this? I've never used that tool but if you can find one that goes into Immersive Mode (that's what that mode you're referring to is called) that'd be best. Maybe that term will help you search for others with the problem too, but personally I'm out of ideas.