Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is stoneskin really gone?

Also holy poo poo since when has Balance been 20%
You can make that a fuckin' 10% buff for all damage, there's no way AN- clearly I'm behind the curve here. But jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Grondoth posted:

Also holy poo poo since when has Balance been 20%

Since 3.4.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

As a vet player, the main thing I want that might spit in the eye of new players is a god drat dungeon blacklist. Let me never have to step foot into 3-5 dungeons ever again. I have been playing this game for 3+ years now and I am so over copperbell mines (and sastasha, totorak, halatali and tam tara, in that order).

That would be nice because I feel like a monster when I get sastasha in leveling roulette and leave immediately. I just can't do it it anymore.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Yes let's let players black out the four dungeons new players need to do to progress in the story at the very beginning that is a good idea yes

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Verranicus posted:

Yes let's let players black out the four dungeons new players need to do to progress in the story at the very beginning that is a good idea yes

People would black out other dungeons as well. There are several dungeons that could easily displace those first 3 dungeons for a lot of people, such as aurum vale, sastasha hard, both hullbreakers, arf, and neverreap. Hell I bet a lot of mediocre healers would choose The Vault.

New players are cool and good, but this game is fast approaching being 4 years old. The number of times I have run Sastasha has got to be close to 100 at this point. Like Nuru I am at the point where if I get a poo poo dungeon I am just going to eat the lock out timer and that's not any good for new players either. If you tied the blacklist to the combat mentor achievement or the 2000 dungeons achievement I doubt you'd see too much of an increase in queue times and the people with those achievements have certainly "earned" it.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 29, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Wait are you saying the reward for becoming a mentor should be the ability to opt out of the dungeons that would most benefit from good mentors?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Failboattootoot posted:

People would black out other dungeons as well. There are several dungeons that could easily displace those first 3 dungeons for a lot of people, such as aurum vale, sastasha hard, both hullbreakers, arf, and neverreap. Hell I bet a lot of mediocre healers would choose The Vault.

New players are cool and good, but this game is fast approaching being 4 years old. The number of times I have run Sastasha has got to be close to 100 at this point. Like Nuru I am at the point where if I get a poo poo dungeon I am just going to eat the lock out timer and that's not any good for new players either. If you tied the blacklist to the combat mentor achievement or the 2000 dungeons achievement I doubt you'd see too much of an increase in queue times and the people with those achievements have certainly "earned" it.

The first four dungeons of the game having hour+ long queues is not a good image to project to new people/the media/whatever because a few precious babies don't like them. For every one of you babies who can't handle a braindead dungeon there are some people who will suck it up and do it, though that would change if people could choose dungeons to skip. It's a poo poo idea.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, I'm not a bad healer, but I'd definitely love to trash The Vault. It always goes tits up at Charibert.

Quick NIN advice needed: If I don't intend on getting into Savage Creator, the Dun Scaith head piece is the best choice, yeah? You lose so much crit going from that to even the upgraded Shire piece.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I assumed the whole point of the relic grinds was to funnel players with the highest tolerance for grinding into low level dungeons and FATEs in case there aren't enough players doing the roulettes or running around the overworld. I've never actually tried any of the relic grinds though so maybe they send you somewhere else now

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I think any new players who have played a videogame before in their lives/have a pulse would probably like to skip the first 3 dungeons too because they're the blandest things ever and have no story.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I've done most leveling dungeons around 100 times now. Queueing for the highest one out of all classes before the roulette was put in.

Whenever I hop into leveling roulette I only care what I get if the party sucks. Otherwise the dungeons are no problem and it's fun teaching new people the ropes while helping out as much as I can.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I assumed the whole point of the relic grinds was to funnel players with the highest tolerance for grinding into low level dungeons and FATEs in case there aren't enough players doing the roulettes or running around the overworld. I've never actually tried any of the relic grinds though so maybe they send you somewhere else now

It does. Having done both relics now is a significant reason I am tired as hell of the old dungeons. The Stormblood relic won't though since it's going to be self-contained in Eureka, whatever that turns out to be (hot-take speculation: it's going to be the next Diadem and just as maligned). Unless they've changed plans anyway.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
today i did a 15-minute tam-tara and it was mostly painless. the low-level dungeons are only bad if you have bad groups who play their classes poorly, which, to be fair, will probably be the case if you get the people actually doing that stuff for the first time.

i can't remember the last time i got a new bonus in one of those low-level runs, though. maybe like copperbell three months ago.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The real fix is that duty roulette needs to prioritise better. I've done a ton of Shatasha or Copperbell where none of us were at level for it. If roulette can't match you with someone who is queued outside of roulette then it should put you into the higher level dungeons.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The problem with levelling roulette is that it is an actual game of russian roulette where it can pull Stone Vigil, Dzemael or Aurum Vale and that means you just lost the lotto.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I just reached the part of ARR where you literally give Cid his goggles in his memories.

gently caress this game. I love this game.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Dungeon roulette compromise:
Add the dungeon blacklist, but it only applies after you get matched to a party. If someone in the party was only queuing for dungeons you had blacklisted, too bad, you're going there anyway.

E.g. I blacklist totorak. I get matched with John Newbie who is queued specifically for totorak. I end up in totorak.
I queue the next day, same situation. Now John Newbie is also using LLDR. We don't go to totorak.
Next day. This time John Newbie is queued for totorak and tam-tara. I don't have tam-tara blacklisted, so we end up there.
Next day. I remember to blacklist tam-tara again. However, John is queued for both totorak and tam-tara again because he's a fucker. It picks randomly between the two of them.

If, for some reason, every possible dungeon is blacklisted by at least one person in the party, it just ignores the blacklist. This is unlikely except at very low levels because there seems to be general consensus as to what dungeons are the loving garbagiest.

There, newbies have their story clears unaffected while higher leveled players can see certain dungeons less often on average, which is at least a bit of a win.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'd be happy if they just revisited how dull / sluggish the early dungeons feel.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah honestly if they just cut the health of everything in the early dungeons by 30% or something it would go a long way. As it is they tend to wind up taking as long or longer than endgame dungeons just because nobody has AOE and you often have to slow pull stuff, on top of the obvious issue of new players still being at the point where they're fumbling around with how to play.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Klades posted:

Dungeon roulette compromise:
Add the dungeon blacklist, but it only applies after you get matched to a party. If someone in the party was only queuing for dungeons you had blacklisted, too bad, you're going there anyway.

E.g. I blacklist totorak. I get matched with John Newbie who is queued specifically for totorak. I end up in totorak.
I queue the next day, same situation. Now John Newbie is also using LLDR. We don't go to totorak.
Next day. This time John Newbie is queued for totorak and tam-tara. I don't have tam-tara blacklisted, so we end up there.
Next day. I remember to blacklist tam-tara again. However, John is queued for both totorak and tam-tara again because he's a fucker. It picks randomly between the two of them.

If, for some reason, every possible dungeon is blacklisted by at least one person in the party, it just ignores the blacklist. This is unlikely except at very low levels because there seems to be general consensus as to what dungeons are the loving garbagiest.

There, newbies have their story clears unaffected while higher leveled players can see certain dungeons less often on average, which is at least a bit of a win.

If people care enough about blacklisting dungeons they don't care enough to actually complete them either when forced to.

I sort of wished for some kind of matchmaking that tried to match people together who are looking into playing max level dungeons only via LDR but I'm conflicted: getting Ifrit LDR is basically free exp for minimal effort at any level. 🤔

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if Stormblood will finally include "24 man queues actually go into the dungeon when one DPS chucklefuck can't click commence" tech.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Asimo posted:

Yeah honestly if they just cut the health of everything in the early dungeons by 30% or something it would go a long way. As it is they tend to wind up taking as long or longer than endgame dungeons just because nobody has AOE and you often have to slow pull stuff, on top of the obvious issue of new players still being at the point where they're fumbling around with how to play.

Or they could give every class an AOE ability at level 15, which would also encourage people to actually use their AOE abilities.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Or, just let people keep their abilities when syncing down

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

homeless snail posted:

This, honestly, would be such a huge QoL change. It would do a lot for the early dungeons if you weren't mostly hitting three buttons max on your way through them.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

I don't know your friend obviously but every friend I've ever had who got "wrongfully banned" for RMT in 10 years of MMOing eventually admitted that they were in fact RMTing

including me :v:

Update: friend had his sister use account for a little while when he was in the hospital and she tested out botting for MGP and didn't tell him until he told her he was in GM jail tonight after coming back from his 72 hour ban. They removed his MGP and that's about it.

So... you were right! :v: wasn't RMT though.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

jyrque posted:

If people care enough about blacklisting dungeons they don't care enough to actually complete them either when forced to.

I sort of wished for some kind of matchmaking that tried to match people together who are looking into playing max level dungeons only via LDR but I'm conflicted: getting Ifrit LDR is basically free exp for minimal effort at any level. 🤔

I, for one, would definitely care enough to blacklist some of this old crap but I still slog through it when it turns up.

I don't see them letting us keep abilities when we sync down, though. You'd basically be getting one more thing (players who are actually of level for the dungeon) to get disappointed by when you get a crappy low level dungeon in roulette, which would drive some people to bail on the dungeon again.

They really just need to go through and shorten up the old dungeons slightly. Most of them are... more or less fine once you get into the 30+ region but those lower level ones are a terrible slog.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's both funny and sad because the only reason the vault is hard on healers is your dps is trash. Two good DPS and a dishonest healer vs two mediocre dps and an honest healer is the difference between dumpstering grinnaux after 3-4 rifts (that are all stacked on top of each other) and running out of space to put rifts. Trash packs actually die while tank cooldowns are up and Ser Charizard doesn't do nearly as much unavoidable damage as most pubbies think they do (break your god drat chains jesus christ). The problem is they're all soft enrages so it's not dead clear that it's the DPS's fault things went to poo poo, so they blame the healer instead for not erasing their stupidity.

The answer to almost any problem, as in dota, overwatch, or 99% of other games you care to mention, is to just murder the problem.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Daynab posted:

Update: friend had his sister use account for a little while when he was in the hospital and she tested out botting for MGP and didn't tell him until he told her he was in GM jail tonight after coming back from his 72 hour ban. They removed his MGP and that's about it.

She borrowed the account for a brief period and learned how to bot and began botting in that time?

Their uncle work for Nintendo?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'm kind of amazed that this is still not a thing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That would probably really screw up the health/damage balance of early game dungeons, since you have access to more potency and damage buffs with more abilities.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Daynab posted:

Entirely possible your friend's telling the truth, but the percentages are against them. Siblings are a common and usually fabricated excuse for suspensions/bans. Based on the information so far I think they're just ashamed they got caught and don't want to admit it. They got off light if they can play again - even if MGP is an isolated and glamour-focused currency.

Dr Pepper posted:

That would probably really screw up the health/damage balance of early game dungeons, since you have access to more potency and damage buffs with more abilities.

^ this. Not like the early dungeons are that difficult, but abilities like Enochian, Broil, Blood of the Dragon, etc. would trivialize these dungeons and (this is reaching but MMO communities are fragile) potentially stigmatize lower level players. Auto-scaling ability ranks (like Stone) coming in Stormblood are a great compromise.

isk fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 29, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How many sands do you need to reset stat allocation on your i240+ relics?

I'm finally a single umbrite away from finishing this step but I probably wanna redistribute the stats even though there's no chance I'm making it to i275 before SB.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Klades posted:

I, for one, would definitely care enough to blacklist some of this old crap but I still slog through it when it turns up.

So basically nothing would change. :v: Blacklisting content is just dumb as there's always someone who would like to run the content (yes, even piss vale or Totorak). Blacklisting only shrinks the number of applicable players for no added benefit with the disadvantage of making the search take longer for some poor newbie. Which is exactly the reason DF exists in the first place, to matchmake people together to do content. As things are right now everything seems fine with newbies getting their clear and making progress and veterans get their daily/newbie clear bonuses.

The problem case is only when a full premade group queues into yet another poopoo-rak even if their minimum level would allow clearing way higher level dungeons as well. I guess the instance creator algorithm just picks randomly between all content available to all players in the party.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

isk posted:

Entirely possible your friend's telling the truth, but the percentages are against them. Siblings are a common and usually fabricated excuse for suspensions/bans. Based on the information so far I think they're just ashamed they got caught and don't want to admit it. They got off light if they can play again - even if MGP is an isolated and glamour-focused currency.

Haha, yeah that's true. I'll probably never know. Hopefully that teaches them a lesson either way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Oh no totorak is gonna take slightly less time to run

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Making the dungeons less boring or having your full skill set would both be better solutions but also probably significantly more difficult and expensive to implement. If we're lucky they will rearrange the level you get abilities at in stormblood. If I were entering sastasha with a 3 hit combo and an AE skill that would be good enough for me.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The handful of lowest-level dungeons aren't exactly interesting but I don't really mind doing them if they come up in a roulette either. Personally I don't think it's so big of an issue that it requires a complete system overhaul or whatever, though I figure opinions on the matter vary largely depending on how long you've been playing the game.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Thumbtacks posted:

Boy that pink cat sure has a glamour

what is it

You're probably mostly talking about the windsilk pants, dyed metallic sky blue. They are a red plaid by default.
As said by another, the top is the sky pirate one, and the shoes are the tidus ones from buying live stream of the fanfest.

Lots of people talk about fancy brd hats, but if you are fancy enough you don't even need a hat!

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

If you don't think players are going to votekick other players for not having spells, you are wrong. Pubbies will poo poo their pants if you don't cast Protect on them a good 25% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I doubt a votekick will happen but they'll definitely want you to take X or Y of marginal use and then also whinge about waiting for your cooldown to reset after you swap.

• Locked thread