Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"Scouts," Dolan says simply. "Kobolds, humans, and a satyr, all working under the same banner. Likely a banner of rebellion, if this sigil is any indication. I doubt they could have picked anything more cliché if they tried. All six with their throats cut, no signs of struggle which means they were either killed quickly or willingly, and then arranged to make it look like they had been killed in their sleep, all within visible distance of what may very well be a friendly monster army.

"So," he says quickly, and with a long pause, looking to the others. "Who, how, and why? Thoughts?"

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Well, to start fighting. We are in the front sentry camp, they have to have seen us, if it was a Wurm or Bird, then they know we are coming this way. They kill everyone, now it looks like the town south is probing the defenses... which we are. Though this way we are dishonorable, and thus, if they had any sense would just attack without talk." Alec stops talking and then suddenly looks around and adds "However, even better if we are discovered... with the dead bodies around us, covered in our tracks."

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 28, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Friendly GM Reminder/Clarification:

You guys took the north road, which moves off to the north. "Wren" and pals took the northwest road. I think. Either way it won't really have changed things yet, but will alter how the rest of this particular scene goes, so I have to be sure.

This is where I think you guys are, and where I think the Wren-pals went; Lo'el's sighting of the army is off to the northwest (it'll be to the northeast if you went to the other way...) and the aforementioned monsters-in-the-forest landhold is several days travel east; so, Gus, you really wouldn't be seeing them in this situation! :)

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Isit shoots Alec a sour look. "I'm sure Wessdastat warriors never get jumped by spirits in thier dreams either." Lo'el gets a glare next. "Perhaps one day you'll be able to kill a whole sleeping camp of satyrs. What a grand day that'll be." Still frowning, she looks at the others. "We don't know the intent of that camp, but our duty is clear. We need to warn Noah of possible attack, and come back with either diplomats or greater numbers. Perhaps we can parlay perhaps not. But nothing will be done if they are not warned."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec looks to Isit and shrugs, "If the Spirit had killed me, my sword and spear would have been by my side. It is our way, not his. They have died wrongly for you can tell that they have not been given a true chance to fight. However, I agree that we should tell the King Roland of this. To travel as fast as possible is what I feel should be done, but then again, what do we really know? If we are said to do this, he might also just hand us over for their 'justice.' A great dishonor has been done here, no matter the enemy, they at least deserve a chance to fight. If they walk into an ambush that is their doing, but dieing in their sleep?" Alec thinks and shakes his head then looks to Lor'El with a half nod, as if to connect what he said with what was whispered between them before.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 28, 2012

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

"Well, this is certainly more than I expected us to find. A stroke of luck, eh?" The once (and future?) heir to Wallin County nods as if in answer to himself, looking as pleased as a butcher's dog. Now they had information. Now, instead of fumbling in the dark, there was some semblance of a sense to what was going on, which was exactly what Martin had hoped would happen if they came up here to the hill - though not nearly in this way.

"So we know there are campfires, thanks to our keen-eyed friend here," he says, gesturing to Lo'el. "We know at least some of the people there may come from the North, thanks to our friend the Northerner. I think we can guess this army is a new one, as our deceased friends here don't exactly have matching gear." Turning to Dolan, his voice takes on a more solemn quality. "If you are right that it is a rebellion, and what we know about this area is true, then likely it is a simple, and desperate response to a lack of food and water. So they come south, where they know there are good lands. If I am wrong, then someone say so, but I think I am on the right trail here."

"I believe we ought to send word back as quickly as possible. If there is a way that any of you through magic might do so, and thus we can press on, I would find that to be good. I should like to find out more about this army, but we ought not to leave Noah in the dark in the face of this."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"If I come across a sleeping camp of satyrs, I am running the other way." He mumbles the words out, mostly to himself, with his ears drooped and eyes downcast to avoid the elf's glare. They were mindless beasts, nothing more. It did not matter if Isit was angry with his actions or feeling towards the satyr, so long as she and the others were safe from their vicious nature. He looks up and gives Alec a wary smile in return.

"Noah should be warned, I agree. But unless you can attempt a way back through magic, I am afraid that we are stuck with getting back by foot...or hoof. Despite this sudden and urgent news, I must say that I do not like the thought of us all returning to Noah without the captured civilians. I could return myself and re-join you with what help Noah can provide, but I fear what may happen to me during my journey back. Travelling alone is never a wise idea, even if it may be called for."

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 28, 2012

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"If the civilians were captured by that bunch, we won't be getting them back anyways." Turning to Lo'el she shakes her head. "No splitting up. Unless one of you folks thinks we should try parlaying with a camp of what is likely ball kicking centaurs."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"The centaurs mentioned a 'Queen' that they serve, is there no mention of such a person in that book, Alec? Lord Roland said that it was likely the centaurs were grouped with an army heading south near this Paldiski, so perhaps these poor civilians have been taken to their camp. 'Securing no loose information', I believe the Mayor called it. It saddens me to say that their safety may be truly beyond our reach if that is the case." He looks to the others with desperate eyes, he was not used to dealing with such a threat. "So many campfires can only mean an army, yes? Then perhaps it would be best for us all to return and warn Noah immediately."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"There are many words I cannot understand, I assume they are names, but it would take someone who read such things fully. It is hard to tell though, if we take it with us, It might just tell of a boring life of scouting and sentry duties." Alec shrugs his shoulders "I am not sure we have even come in the correct direction, it is possible the tracks have been hidden, or that something killed and ate the centaurs sent against us." At this point there was no denying it, someone knew they were coming and had either misled them and set them up, or hidden far better than they themselves could do. "Eitherway, I have a feeling being here when they send troops to change the watch is a bad idea."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Amen, let's get the gently caress out of here, hide our tracks if we can, and hope the focus on the loving dragon tracks. Keep the journal, it might have information. Also, Dolan, if you can do some magic that can prevent scrying on us, that'd be appreciated. I'm sure mages will scry the scene."

NoControl fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 28, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Good idea, Lor'El help me move these crates, these tracks were mostly hidden we kinda want to make all the attention on them if we can" Alec goes to work trying to give any future trackers clear sign that something bad had come and gone this way.

Tracking (9) Naturalist (9) even take off his boots if needed to push all the attention to the Transforming into a Bird man.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"Right you are." He sets about helping Alec in his task, happy that they would soon be away from the sight and smell of the bodies. "Are you sure of this?" he says, helping to shift a crate. "Whoever, or whatever, killed these people could very well be a possible ally if this deceased group intended us any harm. Although, I suppose that it is best to keep the attention off of us. It is not as if we can become birds if danger should come our way."

Helping Alec. Tracking - 14

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan nods to Isit, and gets to work. "I can guard the area from scryers for some time, hopefully obscuring our presence. Sending a message may be more difficult. I will have to make preparations." Suiting actions to words, he begins Drawing. "This will take a moment, and some effort on my part." Once the runes are Drawn, he sends each of them to appropriate placements. There was no way he could cover the entire camp, but he could cover some of their tracks.

Casting 3 uses of Scryguard at 3 FP each. Putting them in areas we have trafficked heavily and made actual changes to like the Satyr corpse, the human's bedroll where the journal was, and where we moved these boxes around or whatever the hell those two are doing.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 28, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec and Lor'El work on covering the tracks, while Alec says "We are simply pointing them to the true people who did the crime, who tried to set us as the dishonorable wretches. Even if a creature or Man is evil as you say, they still have the right to defend themselves and their honor." Alec starts moving brushes over the tracks they made in the camp, hopefully they would find the real people responsible and not innocent ones.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The attendant hot flashes come readily to Dolan as he begins to cast; if it has any further input on the matter, the voice opts to not share it and not interfere with the casting either. One spell, that covering the bedrolls themselves, goes awry at first for the entirely mundane reasons of a poorly timed cough spoiling his steady hand. It takes a bit more of his energy to set it right, and the dwarf feels thoroughly knackered by the time he's done, but the spells are up and will at least give them a day to get clear before any mages will have a pleasant time figuring out what happened here.

Alec quickly finds that his own foot was noticeably larger than the human footprint that had made the transforming tracks; still, the attempt wants making and he and Lo'el go about trying to obscure their own presence more prosaically than Dolan. Dirt's carefully brushed down flat again save the footprints Alec wants anyone else to see, and though the postmortem spear wound in the satyr's flank isn't something that can really be papered over they do their best to confuse the issue. It takes a few possibly precious minutes, but the army doesn't seem to be on the move towards them.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette finally spared another look at the recumbent forms. They almost seemed to be sleeping. She found herself wondering if there were people worried about them, families and friends and neighbors who will dearly miss them. Even northern scouts surely had these social webs to define them.

"Yes, the book will be helpful," she agreed. Should they acquire a firmer translation, maybe someone ought to send word of what befell these individuals. But then, how many couriers will run that far...?

"Mr. Dolan, before we go, is there a way to do what you were showing me with the cart, the other day? To call up the scenes that they saw? It was so recent..."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 28, 2012

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan nods, then Draws the Rune but does not Channel it. After the multiple attempts to get a single spell properly situated, he was somewhat fatigued. Next time he had the opportunity, he would have to get himself a midorlam. Perhaps Noah could provide one, for a price. "You should be able to do it with just that," he says. "My Channeling means nothing, and neither does the rune, not to you. If you want to do it, you can." He had left the bird tracks unwarded, so if she focuses there, she might be able to get something.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec looks over his work and puts his hands on his hips "Lor'El I think we did it, not perfect but it will lead them to the true killers." He felt somewhat accomplished and patted Lor'El on the shoulder, "Good job. Lets get going then which ever path we go, unless we have other work to do."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

The swordsman looks at Alec quizzically. "Crime? It is dishonorable, I will grant - fighting ought to be face to face, one against one. But look: here we have an army. That is war, and there are different rules than the ones you and I are used to. Especially in these times. Dishonorable, yes, and perhaps it deserves a reckoning someday; and if those that did this can defend themselves against such a challenge then the matter is settled. Crime, though...I just don't know if that's the right word."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He staggers forward a little, caught off-guard by Alec's sudden pat on his shoulder, before he composes himself and carefully treads to the outside of the camp. "It would be best that we be off soon, or we may very well undo all of Sir Dolan's work if we linger here any longer. You can send a message as well, Sir Dolan? Fascinating, I would be blessed to see how such a task is done." Making sure he is ready, the faun steps back to where he could view the campfires on the horizon and points them out to whoever is nearby. "Do you see? They are difficult to make out, but the smoke is quite visible."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

She recoiled from the suggestion that she cast the spell. "Um... I... I guess I could? But I don't... uh, it's hard to remember..."

Dolan had been at other castings for a bit. He looked tired. Could she really burden him with more? She'd had nightmares before — acute ones, especially in the last few months. Whatever that was, it was not before her right now. Her fellows were, and given the importance of their work it would not do to shirk one's part of the burden.

"Okay. I'll give it a shot. But if I start to-" she clamped her mouth shut abruptly. "...No, I'll get it."

She plucked around on the lyre until she was certain she'd found the note she'd started on when she had played in the garage. She stared at the rune, trying to recall how she'd made sense of it last time. Finally, a soft tune began to emerge.

Using one of my two Wild Talents for day three. Effective Skill 15 to cast History where Dolan indicates.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"It is Dishonorable, but it is against no laws of my culture. Isit gave me the impression it was in yours. Interesting, either way, We need to know where we are going and fast, I can't imagine they would keep these men out here long with out reports." Alec says scratching his head. His thoughts were turned to the fate of these men, he remembered Vuoksi and wondered if they would greet death properly or with fear.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He turns from the distant fires to the camp as his ears catch sound of music. He stops and stares at Lette as she plucks away at her instrument and concentrates on the strange symbol drawn on the ground before her. It takes him only a short while to figure out what must be happening. "Magic with music." he says, ears listening only to the tune she plays. "How incredible..."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

With just a hint of inner trembling, Lette begins casting the spell she'd used two days prior once more. All goes smoothly, though with just the tiny hint of a scornful and familiar laugh at the back of Lette's mind; the lyre dances to her tune, and she can... not so clearly as in her dream, but the feel of magic in the air is tantalizingly familiar. The song and spell finishes, and Lette begins to see the last 24 hours. First one, then another soldier makes a lazy and not particularly careful circuit around the walls; little of note happens. Lette can't see what happens, but there's (very) brief sounds of a struggle, then a lot of noises of large weights being dragged.

A man comes into her view, quickly walking down the footsteps he'd left. His flesh begins to melt, shifting fluidly between forms; flesh becomes feathers, his nose lengthens and hardens into a beak, and he spreads his new arms wings to fly; another few steps with his wings beating, and a giant human-sized hawk takes flight and quickly leaves view. The oddest thing is that the face the man wore before transforming was the same face of one of the two corpses cooling behind Lette.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Again, the spell works, though the vision is much clearer than last time. She grits her teeth as one possible reason for that make a scornful little noise. Just a dream, she reminds herself, but is utterly unconvinced by her own reassurance.

"A man," she intones, letting the word hang. When he steps into view, she peers closely, trying to get a better angle by tilting her head. "I don't recogn- no, wait, he's... right there."

As the vision concludes, she shudders at the unnatural transformation. "Nothing happened, and all of a sudden there was a scramble that I couldn't see. They were killed and dragged, that much is right, but this was all done by one man, if that's what he is. When he came this way, he had the same face as that one," she says, pointing. "Then he... became a bird. A hawk big enough to fit those claw marks."

She stares at the matching corpse. "That's all. Very fast, very sudden," she mumbles.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He smiles at the pleasant tune Lette creates, but it soon fades and his face becomes more grim and sullen as she describes what the magic shows her.
"It shared his...face?" He lifts his head to look at the dead man she points to. "This all becomes stranger by the second. I suggest we take shelter from here quickly, in case it should decide to return and we create more tracks. Perhaps better to leave this place and sort our thoughts a good distance from here?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

This news was surprising to him, while not the best versed in the tales of monsters he had a good grasps of either the Spirit born Dågon and the more horrific natural horrors. This was something beyond conception however, and he struggled, almost letting his mouth hang open. "What type of best is this? Do any of you know? I have never heard of anything as strange or as... insane as that. I agree leaving before whatever can come back and appear as a friend would be a good idea."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"If it's a crime depends on who was killed, why, and status in an armed force. Don't know how I gave you that impression Alec. Must be a language issue. Remember, sometimes murder is not a crime. But I can outline legalims later if you wish." Shrugging, she points at the fields. "Not much we can do against a shifter like that but flee. I'm of the mind that we need to put ourselves out of this cursed, lifeless area by nightfall. Before the ghosts of the newly dead can wander." Making a warding gesture over each corpse, she mutters a soldier's prayer to the crow goddess. "Lette, Dolan, you both did well with the magic. Honestly I would have left earlier, but this is good information. If we dont get caught and tortured that is. Let's get going. I'll need help from Lette and Lo'el to cover our trail as we travel."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"Dark news. Well, it's better that we know it, anyway." Shapeshifters, muses Martin, are a very bad sign - if true, anyway. He still has some trouble grasping the more absurd elements of their journeys so far. He is also slightly bemused by Isit's superstitions about the dead, but says nothing out loud about it. Instead, he clears his throat as he begins to move with conviction back the way they came. "Isit is right though," he says afterwards. "We cannot stay here, we need to move quickly."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I don't know what it means, either. I just want to leave." She is relieved when it is clear the sentiment is unanimous.

"We probably won't hit Paldiski for another day. Hopefully the lands in between are not all... silenced, like this."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan nods, standing up again and wavering slightly. "Let's go then, before we're found. Find somewhere safe nearby. I need to rest before I can send a message back."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

If anyone is chasing them, they're not fast enough on the pursuit to catch the party red-handed at the murder scene. With all due haste- Dolan aside- they make it down the hillside and ensconce themselves in the cornfields a half mile from its base. Anyone on top of the hill would be able to see them if they looked closely, but the same could be said of virtually any position within several hours' travel.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

It takes them much longer to make it down the hill than Dolan would like, but the only one he has to blame for that is himself. So exhausted from the recent spellcasting (a foolish idea, to cast so many spells in such quick succession), he finds himself stumbling most of the way in what is nothing more than a protracted, controlled fall. When he finally has a moment to rest, he takes it gladly, and opens his logbook to one of the earlier pages. he still had work to do.

"I'm afraid I must admit, when I said it would take a moment of preparation to send the message, I lied. Preparation is an ill-suited word for this. What words, exactly, would you have me communicate?"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"We need to tell the location of the encampment, and news of a face changing shifter. That's enough I'll news for now I suppose."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

"That should do for now then. I'll send that as soon as I can. Communicating over this distance is difficult, and it may take more than one attempt."

Dolan turns to the earlier pages in his logbook. This would be difficult, but doable. He'd never gone this deep before, but it should be possible. He was more afraid of the side effects than of the actual act. This could easily make for a very interesting few days. Steeling himself, he looks to the runes, those already penned into the logbook months, years, decades, centuries ago. All of them timeless, existing and having never existed. When they were gone, he would have to fill their space with whatever occupied their pages. This deep, he knew not what to expect.

Taking one final breath, he Channeled.

Stars filled the void, glittering and shining and reflecting until there was no void, no time, only their light. In the midst of it all, brighter even than the stars, was a single bar of light, focusing and refracting everything, gathering all the light of the universe.

he reached out, and touched the bar, and saw it for the staff it was. His staff. Slowly it began to Turn, and the stars Turned with it, bending their light to its will. They swirled in a perfectly organized chaos, illuminating countless worlds. He struggled against the light, pushing the staff harder, spinning it faster. The stars burned him as they swirled, and he fought past them. The stars blinded him as they spun, and he fought past them. The stars shot through him as they whipped in the void, and he fought past them. After an eternity the staff ceased to exist, only the disk of its perfect omnipresent form. The void became a perfect singularity of stars existing at all points and no points simultaneously, and Dolan became them.

He was Datan Tuneddud, and he used simple, undetectable magic to find the assassin who would kill his king, and sacrificed himself to protect him.

He was Melbil Ilrathidas, and he probed the weaknesses of men to drive them to insanity, then he turned them on his foes.

He was Deler Ingishbelal, and he was the royal Justiciar, charged with finding the truth where ever it may lie.

He was Sodel Edaningiz, and she scoured the minds of foes as she flayed them alive, learning their secrets and toppling kingdoms

He was Iton Mengegen, and he infiltrated enemy armies for his kingdom, reporting on their every movement then stealing away in the night before they were attacked.

He was Unid Taldonud, and he devised a network of communication between the Mountain Homes that revolutionized trade and turned the dwarves from a loosely banded group of peasants into an economic superpower the likes of which the world had never known.

He was Qurik Limuldur.

He is Dolan Togaldatur.

An instant had passed in six lifetimes as he opened his eyes. Power filled him, and he felt what he was looking for, so far away now, yet right beside him. He slipped in, and he spoke. Captain Dirksen, it is I, Dolan. I am communicating to you across the void through telepathy. We have located an army north of Noah, roughly half way between Noah and Paldiski, north of the fork in the road. We do not know their intentions yet but we believe they may be moving against us. We have also discovered what may be a free agent. A shapeshifter or very powerful mage, able to change into animal forms as well as take on the appearance of men he has killed. How should we proceed?

Spending 5 CP on Sense Foes, Sense Emotion, Truthsayer, Mind-Reading, and Mind-Sending, bringing each to 14, then 2 more on Telepathy, bringing it to 14 as well. Casting Telepathy.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 29, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

A reverberant note filled the air as Dolan did... something. It was as a golden bell — rich and dark in tone — that, once struck, continued to ring unabated.

Lette's breath caught in her throat as she took in tone, the arcane tintinnabulation. She stared off into space, transfixed by the texture of it. Whether it was a change in her own perception, or a change in the magnitude of what the dwarf was attempting, she could not tell; perhaps both. Regardless, the effect was stunning. Intoxicating.

In her own mind, she was once again spinning above a dreamscape, witness to a beauty utterly unlike any she had beheld. Once more, she was laughing... was there more to that scene? What came next...?

An ecstatic giggle escaped from Lette's throat — her real throat — and the incongruity, the torrent of mixed emotions tied to the hideous sound jarred her from her reverie.

Her legs buckled. She staggered forward a step, then steadied herself.

"Sorry," she mumbled to no certain individual. Lo'el and Martin, into whom she had nearly barreled, seemed the most likely intended recipients. "Excuse me." Clearing her throat of her, she took a few steps into the stalks, away from Dolan.

Still, she heard the knell, striking in a beauty she almost resented herself for recognizing.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 29, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun tugs Fenton along behind him as they quickly descend the hill and he leaves the mule to graze as they stop once more in the cornfield. It was good to be away from the sight of the dead satyr, but it was now dawning on him suddenly that their kind must be more common in the world then he had first believed. What would happen if he found himself face to face with one still alive? He sadly suspected that he would not need to wait much longer for the answer. Divine moon bless me and keep me strong.

He breaks from his thoughts and turns at the sound of laughter, instinctively preparing himself to catch Lette as she almost walks into him. "Are you alright, Miss Lette?" A look of concern crosses his face. Perhaps this day was taking it's toll on them in ways he had not noticed. "I think some water and a short rest for now are called for." It's hard to tell if his words have any effect on her, as the girl soon walks off into the surrounding corn.

After giving her another worried look, he takes his own advice and takes a drink of water before turning to the grazing mule.
"Wouldn't do to have you collapse from thirst." he says, pouring some water into his cupped hand and giving it to Fenton. Returning the flask to his bag, he takes out his journal and uses what little time of rest they now have to continue making notes as the recent events are still fresh in his mind. So many strange events. He would have to spend at least a full day with his journals to properly write them all down in detail. He keeps his ears perked up and alert as his quill works feverishly, ready to catch the sound of any voice or movement nearby.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Dolan focuses, his mind turning first inward on itself and then outward, seeking a familiar mind to link with. Past lives run before his head, and a flare of heat rises under his skin; Dolan can feel utter awe radiating from someone else inside his head, the voice struck speechless by what it is seeing through his mind. Alas- picking one man out at that far a distance, particularly an unreceptive man, is not an easy task. He gropes around what he's pretty sure is Noah, before his concentration wavers and he loses the spell. Hesitantly, inside his mind, the voice asks: ...will you accept my help, Dolan? Warmth starts to build up under his skin.

Since the guard captain is assuredly not expecting this distance modifiers apply; with those, it's an effective skill of 9, roll is 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan considers a moment before responding. What will this help entail? He had the distinct impression that receiving help from a spirit would not come without some sort of cost, likely only partially explained and extracted at the most inopportune time.

• Locked thread