Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Bunk Rogers posted:

Heard nothing but dislike for Milkbar which bums me out. Is their line still ridiculous?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Bunk Rogers posted:

Heard nothing but dislike for Milkbar which bums me out. Is their line still ridiculous?

Milk bar in NYC is incredibly average. I haven't been to the DC one yet, but I wouldn't spend a second standing in line there.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DARPA Dad posted:

Milkbar is trash, Momofuku itself is pretty great but I'd stick with the non-ramen dishes. This does not mean avoid all the noodle dishes -- the beef noodle soup or whatever it's called is super good. But for ramen, Toki Underground or Daikaya is better.

This is sad news :(
Milkbar in NYC is pretty good but the line is always ridiculous. Momofuku is still tits though and worth the wait. Watermelon slushies, pork buns and chilled spicy noodles are my go-to.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is sad news :(
Milkbar in NYC is pretty good but the line is always ridiculous. Momofuku is still tits though and worth the wait. Watermelon slushies, pork buns and chilled spicy noodles are my go-to.

I don't think I've never seen a line at the milk bar in prospect heights.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

2DCAT posted:

I don't think I've never seen a line at the milk bar in prospect heights.

Good to know!
Holy poo poo they closed the one in SOHO? I usually hit up the one on 13th st. It's across the street from Ssam bar and a couple blocks from that momofuku around St Marks.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

God of Evil Cows posted:

Anybody know a good place for brunch on a Saturday near the Chinatown/Metro Center area? Preferably a place that has good vegetarian options (eggs, fish and dairy are fine).

Daikaya?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Even David Chang says the BC one isn't where it needs to be yet.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Finally made it to Rose's Luxury. Showed up early and the line was huge, but it was well-managed and once they opened we got in pretty quickly. There's a nice little tea shop a few doors down so we got something to sip in line. When we got to the front of the line we were sent up to the bar to wait for a text telling us our table was ready. This was a mistake- the bar was super-crowded (they serve the whole menu there so it's basically a second dining room) and the bartenders were so busy it took forever to get a drink. Once we got seated the experience was great, though. The service was impeccable- very personable and friendly. The food was lovely and perfectly executed but not particularly adventurous or inspiring.

Komi has absolutely ruined me forever. Nothing impresses me anymore.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

Komi has absolutely ruined me forever. Nothing impresses me anymore.

I feel the same way.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Just for your FYI

http://dc.eater.com/2016/1/7/10733162/tail-up-goat-foie-festival-returns

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

I'll stop rubbing my chopsticks the second they stop giving me crap chopsticks.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

2DCAT posted:

I'll stop rubbing my chopsticks the second they stop giving me crap chopsticks.

Oh I was actually posting about the Foie Festival, I should actually read the links I post.

Here ya go.

http://boundaryrd.com/foiethewin

I've never had Foie Gras, and I'm wondering if I should put morals aside and try it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

CherryCola posted:

Oh I was actually posting about the Foie Festival, I should actually read the links I post.

Here ya go.

http://boundaryrd.com/foiethewin

I've never had Foie Gras, and I'm wondering if I should put morals aside and try it.

Oh! Sorry. I would. I had a foie gras burger with a foie gras milk shake down in Atlanta and Richard Blais' place and it was pretty awesome. My favorite reblochon dish has foie gras in it too. *shrugs* if you can watch the vids of the process and everything (whether it be cow butchering or whatever) and are still okay with it, then why not. If you watch vids of the production process and object, then don't. Ethics and everything aside, its delicious.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Also http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/12/the-physiology-of-foie-why-foie-gras-is-not-u.html

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I actually kind of want to go to Komi one more time before I leave the area in June. Mr. W isn't as much of a foodie as me and I don't think my parents will be in town before then. Any of you goons want to go on the world's most expensive goondate? I promise I am pleasant company, a witty conversationalist, and willing to share a wine pairing.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I went to the Carving Room for the first time and really enjoyed it. Had a burger which was good, and the pastrami poblano which was great. Service was good and the price was fair. On Mondays after 7 they do 10% off, I don't know if it's a limited menu or not. Are there other places that do poblano peppers that people'd recommend?

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 21, 2016

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Quick! Where is the best pho in NoVa?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Wachepti posted:

I'm interested in this as well. My current favorite is probably Minh's in Arlington/Courthouse

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Pho Real in Silver Spring. Or Pho Nguc Hung on Bailey's Crossroads

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

I actually kind of want to go to Komi one more time before I leave the area in June. Mr. W isn't as much of a foodie as me and I don't think my parents will be in town before then. Any of you goons want to go on the world's most expensive goondate? I promise I am pleasant company, a witty conversationalist, and willing to share a wine pairing.

I'm totally up for going! We should make it an official goon-meet just to be ridiculous.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

DARPA Dad posted:

Or Pho Nguc Hung on Bailey's Crossroads

Gonna check this out, seems legit and pretty close to me.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I really like Viet House. It's out in Fairfax, so a bit of a hike, but they're really good and they have great tripe, which is a big part of the whole pho experience for me.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Wachepti posted:

Pho 75. No contest.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
oh ya, Pho 75 is really good too. really, really, good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Do people feel like the Pho 75 in Rosslyn isn't as good as the Falls Church one? Or did I just have bad luck when I went there?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I haven't been to the one in Falls Church so can't compare, but I really liked the Rosslyn one both times I went.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I was pretty disappointed by the Rosslyn one, but there's one in Herdon or Reston that was slightly better. The pho was similar to everywhere and the service was poor.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

mystes posted:

Do people feel like the Pho 75 in Rosslyn isn't as good as the Falls Church one? Or did I just have bad luck when I went there?

Probably depends on what qualifies as bad in your book. Pho 7...

ChickenArise posted:

I was pretty disappointed by the Rosslyn one, but there's one in Herdon or Reston that was slightly better. The pho was similar to everywhere and the service was poor.

Haha, you posted this right as I was about to post. :) Yeah exactly this. The pho is quality and super cheap but the service is practically nonexistent, verging on rude. I consistently order pickup from them because while it's super tasty, there's really no reason to eat there more than once. That being said, it's sort of a quintessential DC dining experience.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
AFAIK Pho 75 in Reston isn't the same one that's everywhere else- I'm talking about the one in the Tall Oaks shopping center. It's a mom and pop place. I like them out of all of the pho I've tried here in the VA 'burbs, however I am biased because it's less than a mile from my house.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I was actually thinking of the one in Herndon Center (RIP Tortilla Factory). Not to be confused with Pho Dulles 75 nearby, also in Herndon. Pho 2000 is also near there, but I've only tried the Herndon Center spot.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I know the request was for NoVa, but if we're talking general pho of quality, I do also like Sprig and Sprout on Wisconsin behind Joe Biden's pad.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
If you see a Mod PIzza - you have to try it because holy crap it is so so so good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thunder Moose posted:

If you see a Mod PIzza - you have to try it because holy crap it is so so so good.
Seconding this. Went to the one in Gainesville last week (maybe 2 weeks ago?)
drat fine.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

DARPA Dad posted:

Pho Real in Silver Spring. Or Pho Nguc Hung on Bailey's Crossroads
I wasn't super impressed with Pho Real (despite the fun name). Mi La Cay in Wheaton is decent in MD (also: Pho Hiep Hoa tasted weird to me but it's highly recommended by others). For VA, Pho New (formerly Pho 99 I think, changed names a number of years ago) in Herndon is probably my favorite, though I'll admit I haven't been exhaustive in trying pho places.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
BTW, as a completely unsolicited and off-topic recommendation, Kabob & Karahi in Cloverly (Silver Spring north of Colesville) has maybe the best kabobs I've had, I've been thinking about going back there a lot recently.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I haven't lived in DC in years- it loks like an old favorite, Il Pizzico, got a renovation. Has anyone been recently? Is it still good?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

het posted:

BTW, as a completely unsolicited and off-topic recommendation, Kabob & Karahi in Cloverly (Silver Spring north of Colesville) has maybe the best kabobs I've had, I've been thinking about going back there a lot recently.

It's very good, and there's a reasonably dope Indian grocer next to them. Okra all the time! :peanut:

Karl Hungus
Sep 28, 2001
Mine dispatcher says there's something wrong mitt deine kable.
Nap Ghost
I ate what I think is the best burger I've ever had in my life. 1/3 lb beef, soft brioche bun, brie, sauteed mushrooms, caramelized onions, and cabernet glaze.

Holy Cow ... It's just outside DC in VA but is worth the trip...

http://www.holycowdelray.com/build-your-own-hamburger-menu.htm

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Hit some restaurants this weekend.

A Baked Joint - Awesome bakery. Country ham sandwich does not get better.

The Pig - Face bacon. Sounds horrifying but was awesome. Definitely going again.

Izakaya - Japanese Tapas, so stupid good. Might be my new favorite.

Acadia - Fancy Cajun. It's good but the price is too high. The balsamic old fashioned was the highlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Bunk Rogers posted:

Hit some restaurants this weekend.

Izakaya - Japanese Tapas, so stupid good. Might be my new favorite.

Izakaya what? An izakaya is just a japanese gastropub type thing. There's Daikaya on 6th St, Seki on V St, and there used to be Kushi on L but that's closed so obviously not that one.

• Locked thread