Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I really want to do the back of the dragon and southern VA in general. Did you go to new river valley? The stuff around snowshoe is pretty, I've done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
Yeah, the rafting trip was on the New River, and I rode a bunch of random twisties around the gorge. Really pretty scenery, and I found some scary cliff drop off turns with no shoulder or rail, which was kinda fun in that adrenal fear sort of way. A few roads cut through old mining tunnels, and that was rad.

Lots of gravel on the roads around Snowshoe, but I suppose that's to be expected this time of year.

The guys at Ace Adventure seemed amazed that I was willing/able to ride the street triple up to the cabin with my street tires.

I've also discovered that while it takes a longer than the freeways, getting up and down VA is a LOT more fun via Blue Ridge Parkway. Despite the constantly active riding/braking/turning, I feel a lot less exhausted after 4 hours on BRP than 3 hours straight down 81.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Matthew Bueller
Aug 23, 2013

Anal sunshine when she's gone. It's not warm when she's away. Anal sunshine when she's gone. And she's always gone too long. Anytime she goes away.

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I've also discovered that while it takes a longer than the freeways, getting up and down VA is a LOT more fun via Blue Ridge Parkway. Despite the constantly active riding/braking/turning, I feel a lot less exhausted after 4 hours on BRP than 3 hours straight down 81.

Last year I-81 was f*ing horrible, way too many truckers and cars. When I got ahead of you guys I stopped at one gas station and talked to some other dudes who were going up US-11, then at the next stop they were actually pulling out of the gas station as I pulled up. I think I'm done riding I-81 for the most part.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Matthew Bueller posted:

Last year I-81 was f*ing horrible, way too many truckers and cars. When I got ahead of you guys I stopped at one gas station and talked to some other dudes who were going up US-11, then at the next stop they were actually pulling out of the gas station as I pulled up. I think I'm done riding I-81 for the most part.

It clears up enough south of Lexington, but it's still just tedious, mind and body numbing interstate from there on.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
HNasty and I are heading to cars and coffee tomorrow morning. If anyone wants to join we'll be meeting at the Georgetown Exxon at 7:30am

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

My in-laws are in town this weekend... which means I'll do everything in my power to get out of the house early enough to get there.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Has anyone looked into this indoor track in elkton? i'd give a call but I'm normally asleep during business hours if they still are into business.

http://www.cornerspin.com/ridextreme.html

I found this thread where they link video at the end on another thread. Not find anything else beyond that.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f32/r-i-d-e-llc-indoor-minibike-track-layout-elkton-va-61878/

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Saw a pretty nasty wreck on my way home. It was on Georgetown Pike just after the Difficult Run parking lot. Dude wedged his bike under a guardrail. It looked like the front forks just snapped off near the triple clamps. The front wheel and forks were just sitting there totally separate from the rest of the bike. I didn't stop because it looked like the rider was walking around and there was already a cop at the scene, but definitely made me take it easy the rest of the way home.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yikes, glad to hear he was walking around.

And if you were wondering, Dogbonez made it home alright lol. Turning actually felt a little smoother B-)

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

hot sauce posted:

Yikes, glad to hear he was walking around.

And if you were wondering, Dogbonez made it home alright lol. Turning actually felt a little smoother B-)

You need to put a sticker on the bike "Tuned by Hnasty"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HNasty posted:

I really want to do the back of the dragon and southern VA in general. Did you go to new river valley? The stuff around snowshoe is pretty, I've done that.

Look up the other roads, back of the dragon was overrated imo. The first half mountain from Marion is decent but the second is just back to back blind 180 degree turns covered in gravel.

That part, gently caress u dragon.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

nsaP posted:

Look up the other roads, back of the dragon was overrated imo. The first half mountain from Marion is decent but the second is just back to back blind 180 degree turns covered in gravel.

That part, gently caress u dragon.
Yup, worth doing to do it if you're out there. Then move on and hit the Snake and 58 through Cherokee National Forest in one loop.

Just finished up my Corner Spin weekend. It was every bit as awesome as you guys said. I really want to try that indoor track now.
The "werideinside.com" site appears down, but I found this: http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f32/r-i-d-e-llc-indoor-minibike-track-layout-elkton-va-61878/

There's a drawing of the track layout, and more info here: http://www.dcsportbikes.net/forum/f85/new-indoor-sumo-riding-track-61467/

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 9, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone want to do cars and coffee on Saturday morning?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

hot sauce posted:

Anyone want to do cars and coffee on Saturday morning?

Yeah I'll be there, cause the poo poo is down the street from me, I'm prob going riding after wards, leave there around 9:30, prob the usual country roads, maybe try a new restaurant.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Sure, I'm in. Hot Sauce, do you want me to stop by your place beforehand to check about squeezing the bike through your door?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

Sure, I'm in. Hot Sauce, do you want me to stop by your place beforehand to check about squeezing the bike through your door?

That'd be great. I'll text you

Hnasty, we can meet you over there if you don't want to waste time riding into the city.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

hot sauce posted:

That'd be great. I'll text you

Hnasty, we can meet you over there if you don't want to waste time riding into the city.

Yeah that would be good.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

welp, been a good season yall, see you in september

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This was the forecast for a lot of our group rides last year. Embrace the humidity :fyadride:

e: There was one storm where the rain was too hard to ride in though. Hnasty and I got stuck under a bridge on 66 due to visibility being so low. Another friend riding with us just powered through it somehow.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 16, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm about to mount one of those handheld misting fans to my handlebar

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Honestly, not to underplay the lovely summer, but at a certain point you just have to accept that anything you do outside will result in you being soaked. Everybody has to deal with it so don't feel awkward arriving somewhere dripping. Just leave a change of clothes at work and learn to love living in one of the northernmost tropical cities in the world.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Seconding this, fighting it only makes it worse. If you keep the bike parked on weeks like this one you may as well winterize it again because this is how it'll be for 3 months.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Acceptance is like four stages away, man! I'm currently at denial. Oh, 95? Ehhh, I bet it's not THAT b:supaburn:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

No, really, just say gently caress it, and go ride out to the shenandoahs or something. If you just sit around complaining about how miserable riding is then what's the point in having a bike? Not being hot shouldn't be a reason anybody takes up riding. And the weather isn't that bad. Stop lights suck but otherwise you don't notice the heat. Even given lovely DC traffic, it won't take more than 30 minutes wherever you are to get to roads that move. Just stay hydrated and you'll be fine.

We might get some pretty heavy downpours on an almost daily basis but even those rarely last more than 45 minutes or so. There's no reason not to ride almost any day here.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, I'm not complaining because it's just uncomfortable, I'm complaining because the last time I was stopped for a few minutes midday, I started seeing black spots in my vision. I handle heat about as well as an ice cube.

But I agree, it's lame of me to keep whinging about it everywhere, sorry dudes.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

The trick here is to always complain about the heat, but at the same time don't let it stop you. I have been here my entire life and still let out a "god daammmit" when I walk outside into Satan's taint every morning.

I'm actually looking forward to getting caught in some rain soon, my bike has like 1000 bugs stuck to it and I don't have a hose lol

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

M42 posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining because it's just uncomfortable, I'm complaining because the last time I was stopped for a few minutes midday, I started seeing black spots in my vision. I handle heat about as well as an ice cube.

Carry a camelback for hydration. If you really start feeling the vapors, take a sip and squirt some water down your back. Ride on.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands

hot sauce posted:

I have been here my entire life and still let out a "god daammmit" when I walk outside into Satan's taint every morning.

I explain it to out of town friends as "getting hit in the face with Satan's post-game jockstrap". But yeah, after moving back here from Germany and taking all of last summer to get re-acclimated I realized you eventually just kind of come to grips with it. So it gets better! Embrace the grossness and pretty much follow sane advice for hydration and breaks and you'll build up a tolerance.

On a related note, realizing after my MSF that I probably had mild heatstroke was at the time less than fun. Took that during the big heatwave last summer :supaburn:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anyone interested in riding around NE US/Canada in August? I'm currently looking into taking a week off work to find some cool roads up there. Probably going to be Aug 16-23, but nothing is set in stone yet. I still haven't decide if I want to camp or do the hotel thing, the main goal is just to find cool scenic roads.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Yo are we still going to the Rallycross thing at our track this weekend?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I forgot that was this weekend and planned some family stuff. I'll still be in town but can probably only go on Sunday.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I'll be at the Red Bull Rally thing both days. Did we still want to do Queen Vic for breakfast before hand?

Hot Sauce - I'd be interested in that road trip, pending I'm back on my bike by then. Def leaning toward hotel / crashing at friends houses though.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

McLarenF1 posted:

Hot Sauce - I'd be interested in that road trip, pending I'm back on my bike by then. Def leaning toward hotel / crashing at friends houses though.

Great, we can talk about route ideas this Sunday if I make it over to the rallycross event.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc0ZF3dTyWE

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Don't think I can do anything this weekend. Just got back from a business trip to NJ and need to catch up on some family and work things.

Related - I rode my bike up to Jersey and holy hell is that a lovely state. Apparently they don't trust you to make left hand turns and one of my coworkers was rear ended hours after he got there. The other driver popped out of his car and demanded to know why my coworker stopped in the middle of the rode... at a red light.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Anyone want to ride my bike out to Winchester for me? I'm dropping the SF off for a major service and need to change the tires out on the GT, ride 2 bikes there together, get tire change, ride back nuts to butts? LMK

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Koruthaiolos posted:

Don't think I can do anything this weekend. Just got back from a business trip to NJ and need to catch up on some family and work things.

Related - I rode my bike up to Jersey and holy hell is that a lovely state. Apparently they don't trust you to make left hand turns and one of my coworkers was rear ended hours after he got there. The other driver popped out of his car and demanded to know why my coworker stopped in the middle of the rode... at a red light.

NJ has the worst people, possibly in the entire world (sorry Jersey goons)

HNasty posted:

Anyone want to ride my bike out to Winchester for me? I'm dropping the SF off for a major service and need to change the tires out on the GT, ride 2 bikes there together, get tire change, ride back nuts to butts? LMK

If I'm done hangin with the fam on Sunday early enough I can help you out, assuming you buy me dinner first ;)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

You'll get to demonstrate some of your newly learned Dale Quarterly riding techniques!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

what's up, I'm back. let's go riding so yall can show me your sweet cornerspin skillzzz

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I should be free pretty much whenever I want the whole weekend, so whatever works for everybody else I should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

I'm out of town till next week but yall have fun.

• Locked thread