Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vanadium posted:

Hey, when/how/in what book did they retcon Star Lord to have a lovely constume, a lovely father and also to not have died in the cancerverse? I haven't been keeping up for a while.

Hasn't been revealed. Any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I don't think there was really anything to Starlord's costume change, most characters got costume changes when Marvel Now started.

Besides, now it's changed again to his movie costume.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Wasn't his costume at the start of the relaunch inspired by his original costume?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kaleidoscope posted:

Wasn't his costume at the start of the relaunch inspired by his original costume?

Yeah, it was more to his original look. Now he's gonna look more like Chris Pratt!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
They had to change it, he was running around in a full face cover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ronya posted:

They had to change it, he was running around in a full face cover.

Like some kind of... superhero!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like that Starlord has military, hero, and scoundrel costumes. Looks to fit his influences.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hakkesshu posted:

I was wondering, what are some of the best essential collections? I was thinking of picking up an entire run of books, but after reading a few reviews here and there, the printing quality seems to fluctuate and not all of them are well-considered in terms of what issues they collect. And I'm assuming the black & white look doesn't benefit every book they put out.

I was mainly considering X-Factor, since I've never read it, but apparently it looks like crap? Either way, I'd be glad to hear some thoughts.

I bring this up every time, but I absolutely suggest Essential Supervillain Team-Up. It's all in one volume and it's a great read. It's about Dr. Doom and Namor being frenemies, going back and forth between being buds and wanting to strangle each other while at no point ever getting around to trying to take over the world together. It has some good closure that acts as a great character study of what makes the two so different and while that ended up killing the series, the story that follows of Magneto and the Champions vs. Dr. Doom is pretty awesome.

The book features a character called the Doomsman (later Andro) who I still can't believe hasn't shown up in 40 years. He's a super Doombot, an Ultron-like being created with Doom's brain patterns who was able to become independent of Doom's rule. In his second appearance, Dr. Doom showed that he allowed his robot underlings to have the freedom of religion because comics, but it turns out that they all worshiped the Doomsman.

A Doom-minded Ultron who is prayed to by robots. How did nobody ever use this character ever again?!

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Went to a con yesterday and picked up Parker's Red Hulk run. Holy crap was that good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

I bring this up every time, but I absolutely suggest Essential Supervillain Team-Up. It's all in one volume and it's a great read. It's about Dr. Doom and Namor being frenemies, going back and forth between being buds and wanting to strangle each other while at no point ever getting around to trying to take over the world together. It has some good closure that acts as a great character study of what makes the two so different and while that ended up killing the series, the story that follows of Magneto and the Champions vs. Dr. Doom is pretty awesome.

The book features a character called the Doomsman (later Andro) who I still can't believe hasn't shown up in 40 years. He's a super Doombot, an Ultron-like being created with Doom's brain patterns who was able to become independent of Doom's rule. In his second appearance, Dr. Doom showed that he allowed his robot underlings to have the freedom of religion because comics, but it turns out that they all worshiped the Doomsman.

A Doom-minded Ultron who is prayed to by robots. How did nobody ever use this character ever again?!

And it ends the way all comic series should end.

With Dr. Doom fighting a Nazi on the moon, in jet powered rocket sleds.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

E the Shaggy posted:

Went to a con yesterday and picked up Parker's Red Hulk run. Holy crap was that good.

Parker has quietly become another Peter David and just puts out quality work. He's had some meh books and sometimes he meanders too much but almost everything he puts out is just a good read.

You should also check out his Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers run (Thunderbolts becomes Dark Avengers at a point but the plot lines continue the same).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's the general take on Original Sin so far? I had no clue there was another event going on, I really liked Infinity and the brief wiki I scanned mentioned a Punisher and Black Widow team up...which sounds awesome. Just wanted to get the general vibe before I spend cash...and besides I'll have wind up owning some of the tie ins by default.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

gfanikf posted:

So what's the general take on Original Sin so far? I had no clue there was another event going on, I really liked Infinity and the brief wiki I scanned mentioned a Punisher and Black Widow team up...which sounds awesome. Just wanted to get the general vibe before I spend cash...and besides I'll have wind up owning some of the tie ins by default.

It's pretty fun so far, and the tie-ins have all been decent because they're naturally taking place within the current plots of those books. The Punisher team-up is with Dr. Strange.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Yeah, it's not as serious as Infinity and is definitely more fun. I haven't read anything that was overtly bad, yet, either.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

rocketrobot posted:

Yeah, it's not as serious as Infinity and is definitely more fun. I haven't read anything that was overtly bad, yet, either.

I thought the Deadpool tie in was kinda eh. Mostly because it really felt like they just tacked in the Original Sin elements.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Infinity kicked rear end. The fallout from Original Sin is cool but the story is meh.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gatts posted:

Infinity kicked rear end. The fallout from Original Sin is cool but the story is meh.

I assume it will be picking up since its only a fourth done.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

kdrudy posted:

In the end Hitler always dodges the bullets and jumps out the window, ready with his next scheme.

I love you for that reference.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Holy poo poo, Cap. I guess that explains the Avengers cover coming up.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In case anyone was wondering, or had forgotten, Moon Knight is still the tits.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

In case anyone was wondering, or had forgotten, Moon Knight is still the tits.

On a writing level, it's still so extremely derivative of Ellis' past works, but when it results in issue this gorgeous I don't really care.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Moon Knights new creative team is Brian Wood and Gary Smallwood according to Newsrama so.....theres that.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Skeematic posted:

Moon Knights new creative team is Brian Wood and Gary Smallwood according to Newsrama so.....theres that.

This isn't the creative team I've been pining for.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Skeematic posted:

Is there anyone at Marvel with the last name Bigwood or Largewood?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Skeematic posted:

That's a shame.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That should be Greg Smallwood.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Skeematic posted:

Oh well this weeks issue was absolutely gorgeous and probably the best issue so far but thanks Marvel I'll pass on a Brian Wood book.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
At least Jordie Bellaire is staying on colours.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was kind of hoping for Sleepwalker.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
New Warriors reached adorable new heights this issue.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Eh. I don't hate Brian Wood but neither does his work set me on fire. I might give it an issue or two. Is that Smallwood guy any good?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I grinned like a little idiot reading Superior Foes and watching Boomerang assemble a team including, Spot, Mirage, Armadillo, and loving Obnoxio the Clown.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Skeematic posted:

Kill me now

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

New Warriors reached adorable new heights this issue.

Aracely is the cutest character.

But yeah, this book is a lot of fun. Kaine got some great lines too.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Really, just about anybody's gonna feel like a downgrade compared to this creative team. They are just bringing it. #4 was sublime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I finally decided to read Loki's ongoing today, and holy crap this is a fun book. Also, very confusing to explain.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Really, just about anybody's gonna feel like a downgrade compared to this creative team. They are just bringing it. #4 was sublime.

True, but I think out of all of Marvel's current stable of writers, this is the blandest option possible. Art looks passable at best.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Eh. I don't hate Brian Wood but neither does his work set me on fire. I might give it an issue or two. Is that Smallwood guy any good?

Yeah, he's good. Comparable to Shalvey in terms of line quality and layouts. Check out some of his pages from Dream Thief.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Brian Wood's the guy that just left untitled X-men and has all that drama going on, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Brian Wood's the guy that just left untitled X-men and has all that drama going on, right?

The serial adulterer and sexual harasser, yes.

• Locked thread