Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I was getting tickets sorted out for something completely different at the Garage when I noticed that they don't have a listing for the Chikara shows. So I checked with the box office and they still have the 6th listed as being unbooked. I'm going to assume that theres nothing untoward going on here, but between this and no one knowing who they're co-promoting with in London, buyer be aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Heidi Lovelace is going to be on STARDOM's 2/7 show.

Actually didn't realize that STARDOM has a US branch now run by Cheerleader Melissa which is pretty much just what they're using to help them book gaijin wrestlers. Wonder if that means there's a chance of a Team STARDOM at next year's KOT as well; that'd be neat.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Suben posted:

Heidi Lovelace is going to be on STARDOM's 2/7 show.

Actually didn't realize that STARDOM has a US branch now run by Cheerleader Melissa which is pretty much just what they're using to help them book gaijin wrestlers. Wonder if that means there's a chance of a Team STARDOM at next year's KOT as well; that'd be neat.

:pray: I want this to happen more than anything, especially if YOSHIKO gets to show up and lady hoss some ants

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Special update from the BDK -- Jakob, Pinkie, and Nøkken -- and featuring the brief return of a familiar face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3jfxhlGFo

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Special update from the BDK -- Jakob, Pinkie, and Nøkken -- and featuring the brief return of a familiar face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f3jfxhlGFo

drat, how long has it been since the Haze was last seen, 3 years? Going by her hand she still looks quite skinny, though it's hard to fully tell from that camera angle.

Anyway, could that present be the Eye of Tyr?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Germansimp posted:

drat, how long has it been since the Haze was last seen, 3 years? Going by her hand she still looks quite skinny, though it's hard to fully tell from that camera angle.

Anyway, could that present be the Eye of Tyr?

2011 was when she was written out of Chikara. The 12 Large: Summit required participants to be voted in by their peers. Claudio Castagnoli ordered the entire BDK to vote him in, and since he couldn't vote for himself, gave his vote to Sara Del Rey. Daizee voted for her as well. After Sara beat Claudio, he beat them both down, and kayfabe-injured Daizee and put her on the DL. So, yeah, about 3 years.

The box almost unquestionably contains the Eye of Tyr. It's not unheard of for it to pass from one owner to another, and then back to a former owner. It's assumed that's what Ares did when he used it to double-brainwash Delirious; Ares gave it to his father, who kept it until Mantis challenged Ares to the Lucha de Apuesta at "High Noon." Then Ares got it back from his father, lost it to Mantis, and... well, then the Eye was used to de-brainwash Delirious, who smashed it. Then Jakob (disguised as Cosby Sweater Dr. Cube) had the Cube-minions retrieve the shards and reforge it. Then Jakob used it to earn Nøkken's loyalty, and gave it to Delirious, who used it on Hallowicked at "Tomorrow Never Dies." If that box does contain the Eye, then it's back in Jakob's hands.

Honestly, though, I think the Eye of Tyr is a MacGuffin that's served its purpose and should probably get shelved for a while.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jay 2K Winger posted:

The box almost unquestionably contains the Eye of Tyr. It's not unheard of for it to pass from one owner to another, and then back to a former owner. It's assumed that's what Ares did when he used it to double-brainwash Delirious; Ares gave it to his father, who kept it until Mantis challenged Ares to the Lucha de Apuesta at "High Noon." Then Ares got it back from his father, lost it to Mantis, and... well, then the Eye was used to de-brainwash Delirious, who smashed it. Then Jakob (disguised as Cosby Sweater Dr. Cube) had the Cube-minions retrieve the shards and reforge it. Then Jakob used it to earn Nøkken's loyalty, and gave it to Delirious, who used it on Hallowicked at "Tomorrow Never Dies." If that box does contain the Eye, then it's back in Jakob's hands.

Reading that gave me a brain tumor :stare: . And here I thought WWE was the king of milking a gimmick dry way past its welcome. Then again, it shouldn't surprise me, because Quack.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Germansimp posted:

Reading that gave me a brain tumor :stare: . And here I thought WWE was the king of milking a gimmick dry way past its welcome. Then again, it shouldn't surprise me, because Quack.
Quack is making a comic book that retains the same writer and a flowing story from beginning to end. Which is awful to anyone who happens to show up and wants to learn what the heck is going on

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

Quack is making a comic book that retains the same writer and a flowing story from beginning to end. Which is awful to anyone who happens to show up and wants to learn what the heck is going on

Allegedly, Chikara's supposed to be easier to pick up for newbies starting from this past season, but there are so many callbacks that it still is hard to follow.

Hell, I wrote a massive infodump thread over on the 101 Forums, covering from late 2007 to the present day, broken down by year, and it was a massive undertaking.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

It's probably easier to just jump right in anyway and when there's a call-back you can go look it up afterwards.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

It's probably easier to just jump right in anyway and when there's a call-back you can go look it up afterwards.

Pretty much this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Just like you would with comics. Hell they used to be helpful and give you an asterix and an issue number.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it works like a comic in that you can jump in on issue #426 and just pick up on things there but stuff will come up from the last 425 issues so if you're chilled out you can roll with it and just get occasionally confused or if you're an obsessive nerd you can spend a fortune reading a lifetime's worth of comics you missed so that you understand everything. So it works on both levels and the only way I think it falls apart if you get caught somewhere in the middle. I'm an obsessive nerd who loves the backstory but I don't NEED to see it all to enjoy the current product. It just enhances things.

I mean, when I was a kid I picked up comic books and just started reading. I was behind the story but I caught up. Sure sometimes I'd remember that asterisk and buy an old issue, but mostly I just played catchup. And back then there was no internet or Wikipedia or Youtube for the quick info dump or answers to questions.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I do kinda feel that a "Previously on Chikara" cold open or promo reels recounting important points of feuds would be really useful for them. Admittedly I've watched like two Chikara events so maybe I've gotten bad ones, but they haven't really done that much from what I've seen.

You can talk about comic books but if you opened a Marvel book about Thanos, page one would tell you 1. Who that dude is, 2. What that gauntlet he wears is and 3. What the different colored gems in it do, and while you may not know every detail about when he and Captain Marvel fought in the 70s, you would get enough to understand what was going down.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Angular Landbury posted:

I do kinda feel that a "Previously on Chikara" cold open or promo reels recounting important points of feuds would be really useful for them. Admittedly I've watched like two Chikara events so maybe I've gotten bad ones, but they haven't really done that much from what I've seen.

You can talk about comic books but if you opened a Marvel book about Thanos, page one would tell you 1. Who that dude is, 2. What that gauntlet he wears is and 3. What the different colored gems in it do, and while you may not know every detail about when he and Captain Marvel fought in the 70s, you would get enough to understand what was going down.

They used to do these a lot more often, IIRC. The problem was that they wouldn't do them consistently, so it would still be a bit of a wonky timeline mess. They should bring it back, definitely. I came on around the BDK era, and it was still a bit weird to keep up with all the stuff going on in the last season.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Angular Landbury posted:

thelazyblank is right that Chikara did do the occasional "previously on Chikara" videos, but they haven't done them in a while.

I've given some thought to trying my hand at something like one of those kinds of videos, but my experience with video editing is virtually nil.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Speaking of storyline stuff Jimmy Jacobs wrote up a blog post on the Chikara site. The gist of it is that he's basically Loki and he feels he should be honored as the one behind Deucalion's downfall because he set it all up.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
I started watching Chikara this year and I mostly just read basic recaps, watched current stuff, and looked up old stuff on youtube/google when needed and for the most part I've been good. Really liked Chikara this year and I can't wait for 2015.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Most of the crazy supernatural stuff and the longterm continuity happens in YouTube videos or as occasional asides. The Eye of Tyr, for example, appeared in an actual CHIKARA ring for about two minutes combined this year, and was only used for one plot development. For the most part you can watch the shows as "good guys want to beat up bad guys", and the commentary will fill you in on the specifics when they aren't making dumb jokes.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
New BDK is giving me vibes of Neo Solar Temple when it was Mantis, Crossbones and Hydra. One of my all time favorite trios and some of my favorite Chikara promos. Don't care that much about the Eye, just want to see more of their promos.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Chikara's also changing up its roster page. The Flood section has been removed, and the people in the Flood have not been re-added to the page yet.

This seems to suggest the Flood will be less of an uber-faction in the coming year, so it could be an indication that the sub-factions of the Flood, like nuBDK, will get more attention.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Chikara made a huge mistake with this year's show names theme.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Heidi Lovelace is part of Kyoko Kimura's Monster Army group (along with Kimura, Kris Wolf, Hudson Envy, Dragonita and Act Yasukawa) now since her/Act/Dragonita lost a match to Kimura's group so I guess that means her working with Stardom wasn't a one-off thing.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Suben posted:

Heidi Lovelace is part of Kyoko Kimura's Monster Army group (along with Kimura, Kris Wolf, Hudson Envy, Dragonita and Act Yasukawa) now since her/Act/Dragonita lost a match to Kimura's group so I guess that means her working with Stardom wasn't a one-off thing.

She's probably staying in Japan for 3 months.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Perry Normal posted:

what are they

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

KungFu Grip posted:

what are they

Arrested Development episode titles.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

DM Punk posted:

Arrested Development episode titles.

gently caress. Nice subtle joke Perry.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Perry Normal posted:

A lot of those are just nice names for shows. Last year's was way worse, since they were all so obviously Bond films.

Key Decisions
Storming the Castle
Shock and Aww
Spring Breakout
Sword of Destiny
Out on a Limb
Making a Stand
Smashed
A New Attitude
It Gets Better
Off the Hook

There are lovely names, there are reasonable names, but most aren't too obvious.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

So Chikara has its first show of the season on Sunday, just up the road, more or less, and a few hours from the Rumble at the old ECW Arena.

Main Event for the Grand Championship of Chikara
Icarus defends vs Chuck Taylor

Obvious story here is the two are former teammates in F.I.S.T. Chuckie T has won almost every other accolade Chikara has to give-- Young Lions Cup, Rey de Voladores King of the Flippy Little Boys, King of Trios-- and has gone up against some of the best the indies have produced, and once made Bryan Danielson tap out. Icarus is making his third defense of the title.

Six-Man Tag
The Colony (Fire/Silver/Worker Ant) vs BDK (Jakob Hammermeier/Pinkie Sanchez) & Soldier Ant

Jakob Hammermeier is becoming drunk with power since taking over the BDK. He received some box from Delirious after the season finale last year ("a deal's a deal") which he claims contains "power." He has some kind of control over Soldier Ant since his return from his absence, with Soldier Ant seemingly converted into some kind of brainwashed cyborg. Soldier Ant won the Cibernetico at "Tomorrow Never Dies" and shrugged off almost every attempt at offense against him. Pinkie Sanchez has returned to the BDK after his own absence, and once infiltrated the Colony as Carpenter Ant. The Colony are hoping to see if there's anything left of the old Soldier Ant left in him.

Five-on-Five Tag
Sidney Bakabella's Wrecking Crew (Smashmaster/McMassive/Rumblecrunch/Jaka/Oleg the Usurper) vs Hatfield/Touchdown/Cottonbelly/Shynron/Kimber Lee

Sidney Bakabella, "King of Manager," is supremely confident of his Wrecking Crew, and with good reason. The Devastation Corporation are King of Trios champions. Max Smashmaster & Blaster McMassive are the Campeones de Parejas. Jaka & Oleg the Usurper won the Tag Team Gauntlet at King of Trios. So he made an open challenge to any five people to face his team. The Throwbacks, the dethroned Campeones, accepted the challenge and have on their side the 'world's sweetest man' Jervis Cottonbelly, 'Princess' Kimber Lee, and 2014 Rey de Voladores Shynron. To say that Bakabella's team is confident is understating it. As soon as the tecnicos accepted the challenge, the Wrecking Crew took one look at them and declared "We've got the day off!"

One-on-One
Eddie Kingston vs Kid Cyclone Kevin Condron

At "Tomorrow Never Dies," moments after Kingston defeated Jimmy Jacobs, he was attacked by Kid Cyclone, who unmasked and started using his real name, Kevin Condron. Condron saw the fact that Kingston was "easily forgiven" for his defection to the Flood last year as a wrong that needed correcting, one of many. Kingston was only too happy to come looking for revenge. Condron, however, has pointed out that King is sitting on three points toward Grand Championship contention, and seems to have no problem with provoking King into "castigo excesivo" to disqualify him and cause him to lose those points...

Tag Team Match
The Batiri (Obariyon/Kodama) vs Hallowicked/Frightmare

The Batiri are looking to get back in the tag title hunt. They spent most of 2014 looking for #Vengeance4Kobald, with points being secondary to that. Hallowicked & Frightmare just defected from the Spectral Envoy, after Delirious used the Eye of Tyr on Hallowicked to turn him against UltraMantis Black. It's worth noting that Frightmare seemed affected by the Eye's power due to his mental connection to 'Wicked, and even then, seemed in pain or resistant to its effects, and only turned because Wicked commanded it. We'll see how things shake down here.

Winner Has Three Points
Ophidian vs Nokken

Both men are sitting on two points toward Grand Championship contention, so the winner of this match will have three points and can challenge for the title, while the loser will be reset to zero and have to start over. Nokken, Jakob Hammermeier's monster in the BDK, has the obvious size and power advantage, but Ophidian has the experience and agility edge. Jakob is certainly hoping Nokken will win so the BDK can get its hands on the Grand Championship. Ophidian, meanwhile, has recently expressed his doubts in the authority of the Egyptian Deities that he and Amasis have always paid fealty to, and suggests that something will change so the Osirian Portal can get out of its stagnation.

Tag Team Match
N_R_G (Hype Rockwell/Race Jaxon) vs Colony: Xtreme Force (Arctic Rescue/MISSILE! ASSAULT! ANT!)

N_R_G didn't do a whole lot in their rookie year. They had a brief appearance in the Tag Team Gauntlet, and some losing efforts in the fall. Race Jaxon is still full of energy and confident in their ability, while Hype Rockwell seems to be as drained as Jaxon is pumped up. The CXF are looking to get back in the title hunt themselves, especially after MISSILE! ASSAULT! ANT!'s failed attempt to capture the Young Lions Cup XI trophy.

One-on-One
UltraMantis Black vs Juan Francisco de Coronado

No real story going into this one. Coronado is looking to regain momentum after losing to Ashley Remington at "Tomorrow Never Dies," and a win over a Chikara Gen-1 Original like Mantis will certainly help. Mantis is looking to get momentum of his own after Delirious caused the Spectral Envoy to dissolve with the Eye of Tyr's power.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'm taking a friend to his first Chikara match, and I'm sad there's no Ashley Remington or Archie on the card.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Sockser posted:

I'm taking a friend to his first Chikara match, and I'm sad there's no Ashley Remington or Archie on the card.

Well, it's still possible Remington will be at the show, even if he's not in a match. Selling merch, doing commentary, that kind of thing.

As for Archie, he was murderized by Deucalion last autumn, and barring an appearance from Archie via time travel shenanigans, he's not coming back. However, it's worth noting that when Archie debuted in Chikara, and ate a Backfist to the Future from Eddie Kingston, Archie allegedly did get sent to the future where he bought a sports almanac. The date of his arrival was never specified, I think (and I'm too lazy at the moment to go hunt down the promo where he made these claims), and even if changes have been made to the timeline since then, it's still possible that Archie might reappear one day.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chikara is doing a UK tour this year and I need to figure out how the gently caress to get to it.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Jay 2K Winger posted:

As for Archie, he was murderized by Deucalion last autumn, and barring an appearance from Archie via time travel shenanigans, he's not coming back. However, it's worth noting that when Archie debuted in Chikara, and ate a Backfist to the Future from Eddie Kingston, Archie allegedly did get sent to the future where he bought a sports almanac. The date of his arrival was never specified, I think (and I'm too lazy at the moment to go hunt down the promo where he made these claims), and even if changes have been made to the timeline since then, it's still possible that Archie might reappear one day.

It would make sense for him to return this year considering 2015 is the year Marty McFly goes to in BttF 2 and Quack is a big nerd.

Aside from him and Thunderfrog though, I'd say the Deucalion-killed guys are probably gone for a while/forever (which, other than Kobald, doesn't really matter since it was all either guys that won't be missed or part-timers).

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Bobtista posted:

Chikara is doing a UK tour this year and I need to figure out how the gently caress to get to it.

If you mean, "how to get tickets," chikaratix.com is the best place to look. If you can't get the tickets directly from there, there should be links to the appropriate site to get them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jay 2K Winger posted:

If you mean, "how to get tickets," chikaratix.com is the best place to look. If you can't get the tickets directly from there, there should be links to the appropriate site to get them.

This is it, aces.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

BodyMassageMachine posted:

It would make sense for him to return this year considering 2015 is the year Marty McFly goes to in BttF 2 and Quack is a big nerd.

Aside from him and Thunderfrog though, I'd say the Deucalion-killed guys are probably gone for a while/forever (which, other than Kobald, doesn't really matter since it was all either guys that won't be missed or part-timers).

You could easily bring Proud Oak back. What I'm saying is I want to see a Latvian Proud Sprig bouncing in a flower pot to Jackson 5 songs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I figured Archie got killed off because of that Ring of Honor contract situation. There were three ROH guys in Chikara. Archie got killed, Delirious lost a "loser leaves" match and Jacobs got smoothly written out in a way that lets him return later down the line if he wants.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Looks like Jolly Roger is no long gonna be at any CHIKARA shows. He changed his Twitter handle to JRo_Wrestling (used to have CHIKARA in that name). He also tweeted a few angry tweets about knowing your worth and not accepting less.

So, I assume Quack lowballed him or something and he pretty much quit. I wonder if there was gonna be any payoff to the Jigsaw/Jolly Roger storyline? The good news is Kimber Lee is sticking around, so that makes me happy.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I wonder if Chikara's pay is really as bad as I've heard. Their ticket prices aren't the lowest I've seen and they draw ok crowds. I saw a drat billboard near Tony Luke's earlier today for A New Start, I didn't even know they had the budget for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
The ticket prices have been higher this year than I remember them being in years past. I was (probably naively) hoping this meant that Chikara wrestlers were getting a biger amount as part of the gate or something.

I'm bummed that I'll be missing the first show of the new year, especially one with Chuck Taylor in the main event, but as soon as I have my tax refund money and knock some bills away, I'm gonna get anniversario tickets.

• Locked thread