Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Tallgeese posted:

Wasn't there drama over there when CF did it?

One particular modder got upset with CF over the pace at which they were working and threw some kind of NDA-breaking hissyfit which resulted in his mod/credit being removed from the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

LordSaturn posted:

One particular modder got upset with CF over the pace at which they were working and threw some kind of NDA-breaking hissyfit which resulted in his mod/credit being removed from the game.

Wasn't that some kinda ammo system for guns, too? I wonder if that would have been an improvement over energy, or if we dodged a bullet there.

:v:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I still think the first boss is way overtuned for a first boss, and I've messed around with it some. Here is how I set up, and can pretty much go through with as little risk as possible. I don't include hiding at the very bottom, since the boss completely stops attacking I'm pretty sure that is just a glitch and will probably end up getting fixed.

SETUP
----------
1. All steel armor. This requires 20 steel, gives you +75 armor and +35 hp.

2. A compound bow. Needs 16 steel. This lets you collect food for the buffs, and also kills the normal guys in 2 shots (even if you miss the perfect shot).
3. A cake. You need 1 wheat, eggs, milk, and sugar. You can buy all but the meat at the little shop in the outpost. When you turn this in to the quest guy, he gives you a 2h sword. Or you can craft a steel 2h sword, 16 steel. Crafted ones should kill flesh guys in 2 hits (good for boss, lets you clear adds).
4. A 2h sword. Stats don't matter, this is purely used to parry when you are traveling through the beams. Kill enemies with the bow instead (though it might be good against the first set of 2 at a time flesh guys).

5.A. Sticky Ribs. Use your bow to shoot monsters, the larger longer ones drop ribs. Combine raw ribs and sugar to get sticky ribs.
5.B. Shepherd's Pie. Combine mashed potatoes and cooked meat into a pie. Everything on the ground that doesn't drop ribs drop meat. This recipe bugged out for me so I went with ribs.
Both food options give you +20 max hp, the pie lasts longer and has a bigger health regen, while the ribs have a speed boost but lower healing.
6. A small pile of bandages. You actually don't need a ton of them, but get a good 30+ since you'll end up using them sometime. Heals 30hp.
7. Explore a couple desert planets until you find one with water pools that heal you. Siphon those up with your beam, and collect a bunch of sand. Sand->glass blocks->bottles->healing water. I can't find an exact rate of regen for it, if anyone knows that would be good to put out.

8. A diamond, probably from your first depth dive to get core crystals. Turn this in so you can have 2 tech cards.
9. Dash tech and double jump tech. If you want bouncy as well you'll need to explore the planets in your system until you find another unlock card. Alternately, skip dash tech but know that you'll have to do the entire mission.

THE MINE
----------------
Go through like normal, stop here, which is after about 3 guys in.

Go to your left to the shortcut spot. Crouch, and while holding crouch double tap left to dash. This will move you partway in, repeat until you're halfway through.

Stop and bow this guy, and the next one.

Keep going left, open the door and assist your friends!

Keep going left, drop down to where the switch is with the upgraded flesh guys. Flip the switch, then double jump back up. Shoot him till he is dead.

Walk until you aggro the next one, then run away.

All the way to your hunting platform.

Rest up, eat your food buff if you want. The healing from it is fairly strong as well, so if you want to wait until the 2nd phase when the damage picks up that is perfectly fine too.

THE BOSS
----------------
With full steel, the beams do 35 damage a hit. You've got 155 HP with food, so you can take 5 hits before death even with no healing. A bandage heals 30 of that, and if you've got healing water going that will take care of the other 5, and any small fall damage you take.
If you have just the steel chest but not the other pieces, you can be taking up to around 70 per hit, and have less max hp so you'll probably die in 2 hits.

Here I am after getting hit once, I couldn't get the damage in the screenshot sadly.

When you're planning to pass through a beam, use your right click with the 2H sword to parry. You'll take no damage, especially if you're running at the beam. Running with the beam and the parry might stop before you're through.

Flip each of the 4 switches, then trigger the laser under the boss. Each time he goes into a new phase.
Phase 1 is 2 slow lasers that go in a full circle, and reverse.
Phase 2 is 4 fast lasers that go in a full circle, and reverse.
Phase 3 is 4 fast lasers that cover just the sides.
Move in a clockwise circle, start with the bottom left switch. Parry beams when you can, bandage whenever you take damage, and drink another healing water when it is low, or every time you fire the laser if you don't want to watch the buff.

Phase 3 has a complete safe spot right above the boss here. The lasers kept bugging for me during phase 3, and not matching their animation. So I stopped and waited till full hp before going for more switches.

If you crafted a 2h-sword, you should be able to kill the flesh add in 2 swings, take the time to do this so they don't pile up.
Double jump is pretty useful for moving around the platforms, helps remove some of the wonky feeling of controls.

That should get you to this bad boy here, and off to the wider galaxy!

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

Wasn't that some kinda ammo system for guns, too? I wonder if that would have been an improvement over energy, or if we dodged a bullet there.

:v:

No reason you can't have both.

Energy for standard shootin', fancy ammo for fancy shootin'.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It would give gunpowder at least a purpose. A usefull one.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Guns are awful. I have yet to find a decent one and the crafted suck too. Not to mention, if you dont use the Magitech lovely armor you can only shoot one round before energy needs to recharge.

The Cerulium Technomancy stuff does less than 10 damage to max level humanoid mobs. (Werent those mobs supposed to be balanced with the patch?) Seriously, Impervium gear is the only stuff that semi-lets you live at end game. There are a ton of planets with mobs and humanoids that 1 shot you while taking a minimum of 4(mobs) and 15(humanoids) hits to kill using the strongest 2handed weapons. WTF is CF thinking?

I went from being "OMG AWESOME :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to "gently caress this game, it sucks rear end" in the span of about 10 minutes. But thats also partially becuase Apex Lockers got nerfed and i lost 700+ bars of the 3 end game metals and almost 1k diamonds. gently caress this game. Im gonna go play Terraria which sucks rear end but not as much as Starbound.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Just use a Ferozium rocket launcher and armor, all you have to do then is remember not to kill yourself with it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I could see separating ammo and energy working if they added a lot more in-combat uses for energy. Right now I enjoy using my energy dash and bubble to kite enemies around while I hit em with guns, but without the energy drain from the weapons to consider it would be easy and boring to endlessly evade any enemy. More tech slots with combat-oriented techs could be fun and open up a lot of different combat styles, sorta like augmentations in Deus Ex.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Just use a Ferozium rocket launcher and armor, all you have to do then is remember not to kill yourself with it.

Ferozium Rocket Launcher hits for just under 1200 before armor.

my 1827 damage per shot sniper rifle does 36 damage to the guards in this Avian Tomb... the rocket launcher? 3.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Guns are awful. I have yet to find a decent one and the crafted suck too. Not to mention, if you dont use the Magitech lovely armor you can only shoot one round before energy needs to recharge.

The Cerulium Technomancy stuff does less than 10 damage to max level humanoid mobs. (Werent those mobs supposed to be balanced with the patch?) Seriously, Impervium gear is the only stuff that semi-lets you live at end game. There are a ton of planets with mobs and humanoids that 1 shot you while taking a minimum of 4(mobs) and 15(humanoids) hits to kill using the strongest 2handed weapons. WTF is CF thinking?

I went from being "OMG AWESOME :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" to "gently caress this game, it sucks rear end" in the span of about 10 minutes. But thats also partially becuase Apex Lockers got nerfed and i lost 700+ bars of the 3 end game metals and almost 1k diamonds. gently caress this game. Im gonna go play Terraria which sucks rear end but not as much as Starbound.

This is the best grimcreap'd post to date

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Haha holy poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
oh starbound thread

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Ferozium Rocket Launcher hits for just under 1200 before armor.

my 1827 damage per shot sniper rifle does 36 damage to the guards in this Avian Tomb... the rocket launcher? 3.

Coordinates?

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

grimcreaper posted:

welcome to Starbound :henget:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'll grab em when I get home from work.

Sadly I loaded up terraria and realized even with my pissed off attitude towards starbound... Starbound was still the better game.

My biggest annoyance was the apex locker change. I tore down 4 of those wierd bases that are made of pressurized steel to use for my base. Do you know how long that takes? For loving ever. And I lost half of that work because cf has some retard who can't even post a "hey guys were changing these storage containers soon. Just a heads up!"

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

grimcreaper posted:

Or you could just use admin commands to restore what you lost.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Inverness posted:

Or you could just use admin commands to restore what you lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1yMhuoAxxc

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

grimcreaper posted:

I'll grab em when I get home from work.

Sadly I loaded up terraria and realized even with my pissed off attitude towards starbound... Starbound was still the better game.

My biggest annoyance was the apex locker change. I tore down 4 of those wierd bases that are made of pressurized steel to use for my base. Do you know how long that takes? For loving ever. And I lost half of that work because cf has some retard who can't even post a "hey guys were changing these storage containers soon. Just a heads up!"

What does their PR person even do? Whatever it is, it sure isn't "ever talk to the community about the game".

I guess maybe she helped get the sale put together, which was a really cool move because just two months ago she personally told someone who was asking whether to buy now versus holding out for a sale, that they definitely weren't going to put it on sale during Early Access.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So if you take the energy armor, and make the crystal staff, you can beat the testing site boss in 2 cycles. He didn't even get a 3rd phase, it is pretty hilarious. It is a bit dangerous because his attacks really hurt if they hit, but you can have nano-bandages by then, which really do some work.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Damnit I haven't played since forever and I don't remember any of my pun character names :qq:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Did bombs always destroy the ore that might be in the way? Because I met the frog merchant, bought enough bombs to level a planet, and now...

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Re: packrats whining about losing their supermassive storage lockers:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/tiered-chests-multiplayer-compatible.1516/

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

StringOfLetters posted:

With the 'Boat' tech expansion (which slots into your head?) you can sail across oceans of poison or lava. Or just activate it during a regular jump, and be sitting around in a boat anywhere. You can use a grappling hook and pull yourself around while boated, for tryhard landcaptains.

And if you dig down to a world's molten core, you can boat around on the lowermost layer of magma. And just sail underneath the richest deposits of the rarest minerals. Even down there, you may find occasional wooden chests with 300 pixels and a mediocre crossbow.

If you think that's fun, try jumping in your boat with Rocket Boots activated!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Boat tech is a good start. Minisub that can blast poo poo would be a cool upgrade to see eventually.

I wish poo poo like that in Starbound felt more material though. Like the Mechs etc, you just click a tech and VOILA! There's no real sense of the object being "there" aside from visually (and of course in blowing poo poo up) because its kind of just a giant sprite/weapon swap. You even keep your stats (HP, energy etc) for the most part.

And summoning the Jeep etc in midair.

Anyone else think this poo poo's kinda lame?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
someone needs to add a "hall of shame" to the mods section of the OP

someone please mod in dickbutt S.A.I.L. TIA

pfffahahahahaha

quote:

Furry hybrid race

also add this to the goon mods section (I don't know who made it though), it reworks the lovely cavegen so you don't have to move an assload of dirt just to get to the next interesting thing

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

First Bass posted:

also add this to the goon mods section (I don't know who made it though), it reworks the lovely cavegen so you don't have to move an assload of dirt just to get to the next interesting thing

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/morecaves.2484/

i did.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

turt did

also I will eventually do that, I've been sick so I haven't been motivated to do anything

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Did anyone else experience unavoidable, rapid damage on phase 3 of the Crystal fight thing on the moon base? I can blast it no problem the first two times, but in phase three, no matter where the lasers are, I'm taking a third of my health as damage every second or so. I'm on like attempt 16. I just want to explore and build poo poo, why does there need to be a buggy rear end platforming boss before I can do that?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Since they seem to have made large settlements more infrequent, a really fantastic ship upgrade would be sensors that allow you to get more information on planets, so you have a better idea what you're getting into. You could have scan upgrades like...

Energy Scan: Searches for settlements. Low energy readings indicate traveling merchants or abandoned labs, while high readings indicate cities. Upgrade this and it will be able to read energy signatures to tell what type of settlement you're looking at.
Mineral Scan: Shows how dense the planet is with various minerals. No upgrades I can think of.
Geo Scan: Shows surface biomes. Upgrade this and it will show subterranean biomes.
Bio Scan: Shows you a picture of every monster on the planet. Upgrade this and it will tell you which ones are friendly and which aren't.
Eco Scan: Shows the planet's farmable crops, and their density. No upgrades I can think of.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FrancoFish posted:

Did anyone else experience unavoidable, rapid damage on phase 3 of the Crystal fight thing on the moon base? I can blast it no problem the first two times, but in phase three, no matter where the lasers are, I'm taking a third of my health as damage every second or so. I'm on like attempt 16. I just want to explore and build poo poo, why does there need to be a buggy rear end platforming boss before I can do that?

I got mystery damage from nothing, yeah. But I was lucky and pulled through my second go. Having eaten a sheperd's pie before I started the fight (Potato = mashed potato. mashed potato+cooked meat = better I guess) helped take the edge off between shoving bandages down my throat, throwing switches, and shield perfect guarding the actual beams themselves while taking damage from absofuckinglutly nothing at all.

EDIT: If we ever get a new thread title, I suspect it will be along the lines of "Admin *insert pun here*"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 4, 2015

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
The worst part of that fight isn't even the fight. Its the incredibly long trek back to the fight. I got so sick of it, I just used /admin to make myself invincible and rushed through the base.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's just so stupid to have all of the game's content behind a idiotic wall.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

FrancoFish posted:

It seems to be a common thing, yeah. http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-boss-shot-invisible-laser.90808/

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Its not about losing the space so much as no warning and losing all the materials i had in there for my base.

Also, i didnt know the /admin command unlocked literally everything for crafting even when its off. While nice on one hand, i now have 0 reason to explore. (appearently i lied. I just failed to take off the /admin before i checked. Derp. All is good in the starboundhood.)

Man, i cant wait for more mods to get added. I really want Fracken Flora, Extra Biomes, etc.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 4, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

FrancoFish posted:

I've noticed in phase 3 sometimes the lasers get out of sync with animation. I made a giant gently caress-off post about beating the mine boss at the top of the page, how close to that are you?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

x: 84510553 y: -66927251 Gamma Fribbilus Xax 056, IV, the big Ice ball planet.

The avian tomb is directly to the right of spawn, like 1 screen over or so. If you need the Moon Emblam, just run in, drop down the center and head straight over to the left. there should 1 or 2 in there.

These coordinates are for the 64bit client btw, the planet

The basic monsters will 1shot you in impervium armor here. I did find some seriously powerful 2h weapons when digging down from spawn, not to far down there are some glitch tomb things with chests, got a 2h bone hammer that hits for almost 2k damage. High enough to pop the armor of the avians in 3 or 4 shots as opposed to the Impervium 2h 1200 damage hammer taking 10 or more hits.\\

Sidenote to this planet: head to the left, when you start getting into the glowvine plant stuff, look for purple chests. 2190 damage per swing swords and Lightbows seem pretty common and tons of the chests spawn.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 4, 2015

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Is there a particular planet type where diamonds are more likely to spawn? I've core dived my home planet and a moon but haven't seen any of the fuckers.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

The harder the planet is the more diamonds seem to be there. Are you using the glowing ores mod? It makes mining about a million times less annoying, and lets you spot those 1 or 2 diamond ores instead of having almost no chance of ever finding it. There won't be a ton on your starter world, but you should be able to find a few.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I spent about an hour with the base game before I was tearing my hair out at the abominable pace of mining/resource extraction and exploration; I decided to edit the matter manipulator and tech files, and holy poo poo, the game is so much more tolerable. Combat still feels rather lovely and demoralising, but circumnavigating planets and reaching their cores in a good time frame is actually feasible and even enjoyable.

With much less time spent in any single screen/area, the procedural generation elements actually go much further towards their intended purpose of evoking a truer sense of discovery and exploration, particularly because I don't have to labouriously slog through a hellbeast-infested jungle or the dingy, barren crust of a planet for ages upon ages. It just feels considerably more "fluid" now, like there's actual mastery over these filthy xenos and their habitats as opposed to a continuous, mind-numbing struggle.

basically, this is one of the few games where "functionally" cheating feels good and is in fact necessary towards making it feel like an actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
So I've been looking at the other ships on the wiki, and I'm wondering if non-novakid ships can actually upgrade all the way to the 8th ship version yet? or if the files are just in the game but unused? I've been quite happy playing novakid, but some of the other races look like the have some really cool ships, the Hylotl and Floran ones stand out to me. I also think it would be more fun to wire emergency bulkheads and stuff in them, since all the rooms aren't in a straight line.

• Locked thread