Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:swoon: Okuyasu!!!

He is among my favorite Jojo characters. Way after Dio, no one is better than Dio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ascalapha odorata posted:

Ha, I had wondered what the musical connection was there.

it's definitely one of the more confusing ones. typically the musical references are pretty outright, but the hand isn't immediately obvious since it's more of a language-based pun than anything. when in doubt, check the wiki! or in this case, most people in this thread probably shouldn't. could very well be a hive of spoilers.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Wh-what? You mean it's not for the Invisible Hand of the Free Market? :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on further checking the internet, it is also totally that. okuyasu is #1 libertarian in morioh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't remember if Okuyasu ever says "Talk to The Hand", but I hope he does.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Okuyasu the Libertarian makes me laugh a lot more than it should. It makes me think of him with yellow clothing and a zig-zag mustache.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Supersonic Shine posted:

Okuyasu the Libertarian makes me laugh a lot more than it should. It makes me think of him with yellow clothing and a zig-zag mustache.

But does the clothing have a gold fringe?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Supersonic Shine posted:

Don't forget the bow tie.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okuyasu is the best.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Uh, Amazon two versions of the Jojo season 1 DVD listed. A three disc version, and a non three disc version I guess? Is there any meaningful difference between the two? The three disc version is slightly more expensive.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have no idea and see no clarification at all and it pissed me off when I originally tried to pre-order it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
These next few chapters are where Diamond is Unbreakable seems to find its footing, imo. We learn a lot about these characters, especially Josuke. The end of this arc is where this part stopped being a curiosity and started being something I couldn't stop reading.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The product details are different. Different in that the 3-disc version has product details. It says "box set," so maybe the 3-disc version is a special edition. I have no idea what else would make this version the "special edition."

Lol, my order price would be double the cost of vanilla edition if I want it day of release. $60 is a lot for something that I only vaguely understand what it is, and apparently the DVD itself is poo poo. What is going on with this release?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 18, 2015

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The JoJo DVD set that RightStuf sent me is a box that the case slides into. The case has three discs, one for PB and two for BT. They've got nice purple designs on them but are otherwise normal discs.

Also the case liner isn't reversible.

e: I don't really care to rewatch the series, but will double check the subs tonight. The incidental characters in the dub sucked from the like 6 minutes I watched.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think I might cancel my order and just get it on Amazon video. I can probably make a better Jojo DVD.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I'm just gonna stick with my Amazon Video downloads. The DVD sounds really bad in every way and I'll wait for a chance at a better one down the road.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's been a while since the episode I brought it up during aired, but the new video game labeled Part 4 Jotaro's Stand as Star Platinum: The World. I guess he does rename it during the final battle with DIO.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is the Amazon version a rental or is it a digital copy that I own forever?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's a digital copy you own forever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hell yeah, I got a spare giftcard I was gonna use on a used PS3 but since P5 got delayed, that can wait.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Xibanya posted:

It's good to be back, folks! If you missed any previous entries, please click the ? under my name or go to https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/ And if you're all caught up, welcome back to

So I only just noticed this, but I think you might want to make a new banner, since right now it says Jojo's Summer-Colored Miracle (夏色な奇跡) instead of Bizarre Adventure (奇妙な冒険). Not sure how that might have happened.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

melodicwaffle posted:

So I only just noticed this, but I think you might want to make a new banner, since right now it says Jojo's Summer-Colored Miracle (夏色な奇跡) instead of Bizarre Adventure (奇妙な冒険). Not sure how that might have happened.

lol

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
LOL

I grabbed it from Jojo wiki while searching for the series logo. I'll endeavor to find a proper one. Thanks for the catch!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
To be fair, "JoJo's Summer-Colored Miracle" first Part 4 pretty fuckin' good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mods, requesting a name-change to 'JoJo's Summer-Colored Miracle'

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

melodicwaffle posted:

Life is beautiful

edit:I hope this is the part 4 credits song

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I imagine Queen are an expensive band to license but it'd be a tremendous waste if they couldn't get that song for Part 4-II end credits

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Yes, 『Bicycle Race』 would be the perfect way to cap off the second half of Part 4.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Normie Slayer posted:

Yes, 『Bicycle Race』 would be the perfect way to cap off the second half of Part 4.

I'm glad someone gets it!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Supersonic Shine posted:

...you think all libertarians are Wario? :psyduck:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Reminder, if you missed a previous entry, you can catch up by clicking the ? under my name or by going to https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/lets-read-jjba/

JJBA Chapter 275
Chapter 10 of Diamond is Unbreakable
The Nijimura Brothers (Part 2)

Translation: Invincible Trio

Okuyasu and Josuke stare each other down as Koichi bleeds out. The moment is interrupted when Okuyasu's brother starts shouting unsolicited advice at him. Man I loving hate it when my brothers try to tell me what to do when I'm playing Dark Souls or something. Just shut up and let me play! Okuyasu has the same reaction.

"Your stand is my finest work, use it to its maximum potential," Okuyasu's mysterious shadow-shrouded older brother tells him. So can he control the type of stand someone gets with the arrow? Okuyasu turns away from his brother and back to the fight, but in the time it took Okuyasu's older brother to backseat punch fight, Josuke managed to get behind Okuyasu.

"You're...pretty stupid." says Josuke. It's interesting that he looks kind of sad as he says this, like he's sincerely delivering Okuyasu some bad news without a hint of malice.

Crazy Diamond attacks Okuyasu directly, knocking him to the ground. Josuke runs straight for Koichi...

()Heh, Josuke's eyes.)

...but Okuyasu is already hot on his heels.

These next few pages just have such amazing energy and momentum that I'll let them speak for themselves.

Crazy Diamond grabs The Hand's arm before it can land a punch but can barely hold it. Josuke sweats nervously. "drat, that right arm of his is unbelievably strong! I don't feel good about this!"

The Hand knees Crazy Diamond in the side, causing Josuke to caugh blood. The Hand frees itself and strikes the gate.

"Josuke, don't try to escape! Do you want to abandon your friend? My right arm hasn't even gotten excited yet!" Okuyasu tells Josuke while one of his dollar sign accessories floats around for some reason. Josuke glances at Koichi, who is still bleeding out from arrow impalement in case you forgot, and then turns his attention back to the fight at hand. "There's something special about your right hand, isn't there?"

The place where The Hand struck the gate seems to have smoke or vapor rising from it.

In the next panel, ominous sound effects fly around the scene. "That door is different. Hmm...strange," Josuke says in an intese panel.

Offhand I don't see the difference. I ended up flipping back and forth between this page and earlier ones going "Huh?" It's probably easier to spot if you read kanji.

"You can...you can cut space!?" Josuke says with a "drat, poo poo just got real!" look. Okuyasu's smug expression confirms this. Wait what? OK I think I get what The Hand does, I just don't think I would have figured it out the way Josuke did.

Okuyasu confirms that this is correct. "Whatever my right hand touches will disappear! The edges of the erased space will then join together to restore the gap! As for the parts that are cut off..."

"Even I don't know where they end up!"

Interesting! I could see a lot of really creative applications of this power. Nice. I had heard that the punchghosts in part 4 really make best use of the idea of stands so I'm looking forward to seeing some examples!

The Hand raises its, er, hand and prepares to strike! So I suppose if he hits someone's head or something then they'll be fuckin' dead.

Okuyasu cuts the space between himself and Josuke and basically teleports himself right up to Josuke, totally violating his personal bubble. That's pretty neat! Okuyasu prepares to strike Josuke, but before he can follow through some potted plants smack him in the face. Huh?

I suppose I understand in a sort of abstract way how that would work but I'm not really sure how exactly that happened. How would cutting the air in front of Josuke cause potted plants to fly at him? Atmospheric pressure? I reread this part several times and I still don't quite follow, but I'm sure one of you guys will explain it and then it will seem really obvious.

"A stand that can teleport objects and erase space...that could have been really dangerous...if he wasn't such an idiot," Josuke says again, not with anger or contempt, but with pity.

Hmmm. Excited about this interesting stand power, but I hope it isn't always this confusing when its used! Also now I suspect that the stuff The Hand cuts probably ends up somewhere and that this will be a future plot point. Not too much else to say on this one since not too much happened story-wise, but I have plenty to say about the next chapter. Also another Let's Cold Read Duwang is coming up soon and I have a feeling you guys are gonna dig it even more than "That many already? Chinese!"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the best way to think about the hand's power is that stands more or less operate on their own set of rules, so their abilities kinda operate the same way. when the hand slices through something, the surrounding area will try to fill in the void like a vacuum as best it can. some things move more easily than others based on size and a void that is big enough to pull josuke in will more than likely pull in anything smaller near josuke as well, and since a potted plant can pick up way more momentum than a person, well, we all saw what happened!

like a lot of things in jojo's it just kinda works if you go with it. with great power comes great responsibility. and a faceful of terracotta.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
okuyasu is real and he is my friend

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Pomp posted:

It's true, my uncle who works at Nintendo told me.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

Okuyasu is everybody's friend.

I hate it every time Okuyasu is called stupid in DiU. In his defense it's kind of incredible to me that other teenagers would have stand mastery, like Josuke being that capable with his own should be the anomaly here. :smith:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The Hand is probably a little easier to understand if you compare it with its spiritual predecessor, Vanilla Ice's Cream. Both stands operate by cutting space, but Cream leaves a "Hole" while The Hand "Knits" the hole together, bringing everything closer together. While Okuyasu's maximum range is never explicitly established, the implication is that by cutting out the space between himself and Josuke, he also displaced some potted plants behind Josuke. Josuke and the pots come flying, Josuke ducks, and the pots smash into Okuyasu.

Also, expect a big ol' post tomorrow about this and the previous chapter. Sorta.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 19, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's also more than one comparison that can be made between vanilla ice and okuyasu, which i'm sure will be elaborated on in the near future by either me or someone else :whatup:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not Doraa?

Anyway, The Hand. Basically Vanilla Ice's ability on a smaller scale. It's kind of interesting that the two characters with space erasing abilities both end up being really dumb, though you could argue that Vanilla Ice is more single-mindedly devoted I suppose.

That being said, that hand swipe of Okuyasu's is a really great trick. For all the crap he gets about being dumb, it's a really clever move to pull off, especially considering his Stand excels at close ranged combat even without its ability.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
OH! I think I get it now!

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way that all star battle depicts it also gives a good idea. the vacuum effect only happens like, a second after the swipe with his hand. it's an actual, distinct suction that takes place after the initial attack.

• Locked thread