Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm too late for this but I'm actually in the opposite camp - drive the Ferrari and make it NBD. If you have a special fetish car you only use for special occasions, and you don't consider seeing her special occasion, it makes you look like an old man with a garage queen Corvette and runs the risk of her feeling unspecial.

TLDR you shouldn't have to talk about your car either way and a 348 is a sign of connoisseur, not a badge snob, as long as you show you're ready to enjoy it.

Also Lamborghini and Porsche are both VAG so she gets a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

blk posted:

I dunno, that's kind of like confusing a 2000s Volvo and Jag because they were both Ford products.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

I'm assuming she was confused because the Lamborghini wasn't on fire at the time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

I'm too late for this but I'm actually in the opposite camp - drive the Ferrari and make it NBD. If you have a special fetish car you only use for special occasions, and you don't consider seeing her special occasion, it makes you look like an old man with a garage queen Corvette and runs the risk of her feeling unspecial.

TLDR you shouldn't have to talk about your car either way and a 348 is a sign of connoisseur, not a badge snob, as long as you show you're ready to enjoy it.

I agree, except cars like that you have to go "ok this is the door handle and please don't lean on the window when you get it and I'm sorry I don't want to take that spot between two bro trucks please don't kick the door open please don't slam the door thanks!" which totally kills the IDGAF mood.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The date went well enough, and I broached having another car, so I'll report back if I manage to show it to her if she can ID it. I'm hoping not so I can make up some joke Italian brand and see if she buys it.

The door is high enough that it healthily clears a normal height curb. In my Z06, my roomate once opened the door onto an uneven brick sidewalk and scraped the corner of it pretty bad.
The 348's not a car that I would street park just anywhere in Boston, though I've done it a couple times. Between the parking brake handle and the dog leg gates, I don't really trust it to a valet.

Date wise, I see it coming in for driving up or down the coast and getting food at a crab shack, that sort of thing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
All sports cars are Porsches to people who are not mentally defective. Anyway find a nice girl that drives a Pantera and live a happy life.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

RIP Paul Walker posted:

please don't kick the door open

loving rude. If you do that to my car, I don't care who you are, you're not getting back in.
:goonsay:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Signed up for Mass General's patient portal, since they're not in my normal network. One of the creepy background questions was about the 348:

I guess they can plug into the RMV database?

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

kimbo305 posted:

Signed up for Mass General's patient portal, since they're not in my normal network. One of the creepy background questions was about the 348:

I guess they can plug into the RMV database?

After helping integrate Experian data with a health insurance verification system, one of the biggest user complaints we had was "this is creepy" - we actually had a feedback widget (yeah, one of those annoying floaty things, added by kicking and screaming) with an option "Why do you have this information?"

Basically any verification system that ties into the three big creditors databases will have a frightening amount of information about you. I think 99% of people don't get asked what color their Ferrari is though, so you're totally winning that system.

If I would have come across test data with a 348 I totally would have thought it was some bored QA tester's sick joke, so that's worth buying an Italian steed any day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that's super creepy.

As for Ferrari dating, I've felt self conscious showing up in a Miata before because to 90% of the people it might as well be a Bugatti. Never mind that it cost little to buy and nothing to run, a two seater convertible gets enough attention in central europe as it stands out like a sore thumb from the sea of beige compact hatchbacks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Goddammit, curbed the right rear wheel again. A pretty minor scratch, but I'm gonna have to stock up on NOS wheels if I wanna make selling this car easy.
I thought I was way further away from the curb than I was.

Got a nod from an old man driving a puce blue R107 and a thumbs up from a black GD WRX or STi.
Also a point from my friend driving around in his ND, but doesn't count.

Lots of traffic, so didn't really get to drive it. I've noticed that if I'm driving one-handed, it means I'm not going hard enough to make the car really shine. The car isn't so analog that you can appreciate the dynamics at any speed.

Checked the oil when I parked - 80%, but a lot of small bubbles. Color was dark but not cloudy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Invest in some curb feelers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

Goddammit, curbed the right rear wheel again. A pretty minor scratch, but I'm gonna have to stock up on NOS wheels if I wanna make selling this car easy.
I thought I was way further away from the curb than I was.

Got a nod from an old man driving a puce blue R107 and a thumbs up from a black GD WRX or STi.
Also a point from my friend driving around in his ND, but doesn't count.

Lots of traffic, so didn't really get to drive it. I've noticed that if I'm driving one-handed, it means I'm not going hard enough to make the car really shine. The car isn't so analog that you can appreciate the dynamics at any speed.

Checked the oil when I parked - 80%, but a lot of small bubbles. Color was dark but not cloudy.

If you look at the curb in front of mass pharm I'm pretty sure there are purple flakes forever embedded in it. Gotta get in close cause there isn't a lot of space on RT9, just got a little too close :(

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I think style is the reason but it'd be nice if wheel.and tire manufacturers had a little mercy and provided just a bit of sidewall horizontally so it wasn't so easy to scratch them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Pilot Super Sports on my Z06 had a very generous offset just above the rim that saved me from the curb many a time. I would definitely pay extra for a rally-style ring around the sidewall there to protect the wheels.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kimbo305 posted:

The Pilot Super Sports on my Z06 had a very generous offset just above the rim that saved me from the curb many a time. I would definitely pay extra for a rally-style ring around the sidewall there to protect the wheels.

Look for a tire with a "Rim Protector" or "Rim Protector Bead." Nice, solid chunk of rubber that takes a casual curb rub instead of hitting the rims.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ferrari listings roundup. $20k V12 project: http://bringatrailer.com/2016/04/18/running-automatic-project-20k-1982-ferrari-400i/
Not a bad price for a Testarossa: http://bringatrailer.com/2016/04/18/sub-100k-1988-ferrari-testarossa/

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

$45k in service over the past 20k miles. I knew Ferrari's were expensive but jesus.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

$45k in service over the past 20k miles. I knew Ferrari's were expensive but jesus.

:catstare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:catstare:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

quote:

The seller took ownership in 2001, and notes three engine-out services in that time, all carried out by professionals. The first took place in 2003 at 26k miles to the tune of $5,700, the next at 36,500 in 2010 ($30k), and the final, most recent from December of last year (46k miles and $10k).

It that standard?

You have to pull the engine for every minor service interval?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Automotive Insanity > to run one, you have to afford two

Indeed.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
There's an interesting ebook on Amazon called "one year with a Ferrari" or something where the author buys a 355. I forget the dollars per mile in operating costs but IIRC it cost him $80 to take his daughter out to ice cream.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

spog posted:

It that standard?

You have to pull the engine for every minor service interval?

10k intervals -- this guy's probably changing his belt every other time. The factory recommended interval for the Testarossa is 15k miles or 5 years, though those are regarded as extremely conservative.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Are Ferrari incapable of implementing a timing belt that lasts longer than that or is it a combination of "while you're in there" and (relatively speaking) cheap insurance against replacing an engine?

I'm assuming the latter. :v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's a good question. I can't think offhand what the other engine-out services are needed on the 348. Valve shimming is something you do with the timing belt, but only recommended. I'll have to look at the manual.
It's the 355 where even the headers are a wear item until you put in aftermarket ones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

How are those costs split in parts and labour? You could afford a lot of tools at home with that budget. But I guess DIY servicing would do its market value no good.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

blk posted:

There's an interesting ebook on Amazon called "one year with a Ferrari" or something where the author buys a 355. I forget the dollars per mile in operating costs but IIRC it cost him $80 to take his daughter out to ice cream.

I remember an article about this, he concludes if he'd have leased a new one he'd have driven it twice as far for slightly less per mile.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ola posted:

How are those costs split in parts and labour? You could afford a lot of tools at home with that budget. But I guess DIY servicing would do its market value no good.

A lot is labor for sure. There's a couple of very decent writeups on how to drop the engine out of the 348/355 using transmission jacks, a lot of jackstands, and a ton of patience. You still need space to let the body and engine sit while you do the service, of course.
I've been thinking about how to pitch my 348 when I want to sell it. Condition-wise, it's at best a 8/10. While it doesn't have that many miles on it, I'd say 45+k will make it more than any pristine model.

So I'd probably be targeting other enthusiasts who are ok with well-done DIY work and have at least seen the same writeups on FerrariChat. This car is never gonna be a no-questions asked, perfect condition deal.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you had plenty of room, say a double garage with a little shop space, a quick google says could get a lift for $2k. So if you squint at the numbers (and had room, skills, inclination etc), you could probably service it yourself, bank the savings as "retained car value" while driving happily for years and mentally writing the car value down to zero.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
There's a local guy that has 3 308s, a 512BB, a Countach and a Diablo. He does all the maintenance himself and looking at his project thread it does not seem that different from any other cars. It seems quite manageable if you have a garage with a lift, some patience and willingness to accept the tinkering as a part of the hobby.

He seems to be always browsing Alfa/Fiat/Lancia parts catalogs to figure out from which parts bin the expensive Ferrari/Lambo parts have been taken from. Often they are more readily available and a fraction of the price as a Fiat part. Although the guy does also advise against buying a 348/355...

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

DoLittle posted:

There's a local guy that has 3 308s, a 512BB, a Countach and a Diablo. He does all the maintenance himself and looking at his project thread it does not seem that different from any other cars. It seems quite manageable if you have a garage with a lift, some patience and willingness to accept the tinkering as a part of the hobby.

He seems to be always browsing Alfa/Fiat/Lancia parts catalogs to figure out from which parts bin the expensive Ferrari/Lambo parts have been taken from. Often they are more readily available and a fraction of the price as a Fiat part. Although the guy does also advise against buying a 348/355...

Got a link to the thread? Sounds cool.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Ormy posted:

Got a link to the thread? Sounds cool.

It is on a forum that requires registration and it is only in Finnish, so...

He also has a Testarossa, which I forgot from the list in the previous post.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Ola posted:

If you had plenty of room, say a double garage with a little shop space, a quick google says could get a lift for $2k. So if you squint at the numbers (and had room, skills, inclination etc), you could probably service it yourself, bank the savings as "retained car value" while driving happily for years and mentally writing the car value down to zero.

And pulling the motor on that is one of the easiest motor pulls anyone has ever designed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tonight, I was pretty wrecked from kickboxing. It's especially hard on driving -- the acting of clutching makes my knee ache.*
I was looking at my remote charging setup (jump battery -> inverter -> tender) and considering using it to top off the battery.
"Or, you could go loving drive it," I thought to myself. I at least put on Sabelts -- even my pretty not-bulky Primeknits get hung up a bit in the pedal box.

I picked a route that favored number of underpasses and tunnels over nice winding roads.
With the harmonics at 3k and 6k, it is almost psychologically impossible to waver from those RPMs. It's like my private version of Speed.
Whenever a car in front of me is slightly slower, I'm going "move over, move over, need to stay at 3k."

Going under a bridge or tunnel at hard throttle makes me cackle for the next several seconds. I really wish the sound picked up the way it does irl on video.
Thinking back to the Boxster Spyder, I'm more sure I made the right pick. That car might handle better and be more practical and reliable, but it doesn't sound like this.

*actually, that used to be my go-to excuse for concluding a private sale test drive on a car that didn't do it for me. I'd just say, hey, the clutch is a little heavier than I was expecting, instead of having to fess up that I just didn't like it.

Garbage Dick
Mar 27, 2015

by Hand Knit

Preoptopus posted:

Is your ferrari footwell full of empty mikes hard lemonade cans? If not it should be.

"I have a Camaro, a six pack of Mike's Harder, and no curfew" works so well at Hot topic it should be illegal.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
STATUS UPDATE:
I raced the Ferrari with the widened rear axle. The rear still feels a bit too soft or just not enough grip, although it was faster compared to one of the benchmark cars from last time I drove it. The softness is great in the wet, or I'm a god at wet driving, because I managed to hold onto fastest street tire time against a Cayman Gt4 and a slew of other unreasonably fast cars until the track finally became actually dry.

The exhaust is absolute nirvana holy unbelieveable poo poo. It sounds absolutely unreal in person. Every single person had their phone out to record it at some point, working on course or in the paddock. I sent Kimbo a text informing him the Ferrari broke sound and he replied "never lead with "the Ferrari broke"" :lol: I got some good video of driving it but couldn't get clean audio.

https://youtu.be/N_jueE-k3Lg

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 8, 2016

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Holy poo poo that looks like so much fun

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Going under a bridge or tunnel at hard throttle makes me cackle for the next several seconds. I really wish the sound picked up the way it does irl on video.

I have a pretty decent video camera with an external microphone. If you ever want to hook up I can see if that will capture it better than whatever you've tried with up until now. I'd love to see that thing in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I have a pretty decent video camera with an external microphone. If you ever want to hook up I can see if that will capture it better than whatever you've tried with up until now. I'd love to see that thing in person.

Sure, let's plan a drive in the later spring once things warm up even more. I think with the targa top off, wind noise isn't that bad in the middle of the cabin.

• Locked thread