Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mange Mite posted:

But the new armor looks like a lamer, melty version of the old armor. im not talking in-universe justifications I'm saying that the new designs aren't just derivative but also look worse than the originals. they look like poorly made chinese knock-off props

Nah, the new sleek look is a natural progression of the old plastic armour and I like it more than the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

also all the bad guys were way too young to take seriously. and all the slightly altered stormtrooper costumes and spaceships were lame and made the whole thing look more like a cheap ripoff

Pretty sure that's intentional. They're neo nazis trying to live up to this grand empire they weren't even alive to see.

And I thought it made complete sense that they beefed up their tie fighters now that they don't own a galaxy of resources to mass produce them with. They switched to quality over quantity.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, the new sleek look is a natural progression of the old plastic armour and I like it more than the originals.

It would be cool if in one of the next two movies the First Order runs into another less well off faction of the Empire and they're all tooling around in 30 year old star destroyers, their Tie fighters are falling apart, and their stormtrooper's armour has turned a yellowish colour from age. The exchange is pretty much word for word one of those really awkward conversations you have when you run into a guy you went to high school with who is now pan-handling.

"Yeah, good luck with the Resistance. . . Hey? You got any Sith laying around that you could spare? I just need one until I get back on my feet. . . . no? OK, then maybe a super-laser?"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ignorant Hick posted:

Pretty sure that's intentional. They're neo nazis trying to live up to this grand empire they weren't even alive to see.

And I thought it made complete sense that they beefed up their tie fighters now that they don't own a galaxy of resources to mass produce them with. They switched to quality over quantity.

Then how do they make the giant planet gun

Why do neo nazis get bigger weapons than the actual nazis? How are neo nazis scary? It's dumb because the way they were presented they just looked like angry teenagers and weren't threatening at all. You can make young actors look intimidating or substantial, but the director failed to do so

There's just this disconnect in scale where you feel like it's supposed to be a smaller movie in scale but then you get an even bigger gun than in the original movies because of one-upmanship

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 2, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's been 20 years, I think that's long enough to give the TIEs a new paint job and to design some new armor.

they also have shields now, which is a small detail i liked. now that they aren't a giant empire anymore they actually put the investment in keeping their pilots alive

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mange Mite posted:

Why do neo nazis get bigger weapons than the actual nazis? How are neo nazis scary? It's dumb because the way they were presented they just looked like angry teenagers and weren't threatening at all

The new stormtroopers should all just be skinheads with face tattoos and baseball/cricket bats covered in nails. Instead of Max Rebo, they listen to Skrewdriver.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Blistex posted:

It would be cool if in one of the next two movies the First Order runs into another less well off faction of the Empire and they're all tooling around in 30 year old star destroyers, their Tie fighters are falling apart, and their stormtrooper's armour has turned a yellowish colour from age. The exchange is pretty much word for word one of those really awkward conversations you have when you run into a guy you went to high school with who is now pan-handling.

"Yeah, good luck with the Resistance. . . Hey? You got any Sith laying around that you could spare? I just need one until I get back on my feet. . . . no? OK, then maybe a super-laser?"

"Do you mind blowing up this planet for us? We'll pay you back just as soon as we can, we just need something to hold us over until we can build a new Deathstar"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mange Mite posted:

Why do neo nazis get bigger weapons than the actual nazis? How are neo nazis scary? It's dumb because the way they were presented they just looked like angry teenagers and weren't threatening at all

I just sort of interpreted it as, "Starkiller base is larger, but the actual parts that they had to make are smaller than the death star. While it's more powerful, it's also less useful since it's not going anywhere, unlike the other two death stars." Still, we don't even know what the First Order has resource wise? Are they 80% of the Empire's strength at the beginning of ROTJ, or are they now on an even footing with the resistance? Hell maybe the resistance is even worse off than the rebellion? Finn says that everyone should run from the first order, but is that only because of their starkiller base, or are they that strong with their conventional forces? I'm hoping we get a little explanation in the next film, hell a map and 30 seconds could make everything abundantly clear.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

Why do neo nazis get bigger weapons than the actual nazis? How are neo nazis scary? It's dumb because the way they were presented they just looked like angry teenagers and weren't threatening at all. You can make young actors look intimidating or substantial, but the director failed to do so

There's just this disconnect in scale where you feel like it's supposed to be a smaller movie in scale but then you get an even bigger gun than in the original movies because of one-upmanship

Nah I'm with you on Starkiller base, thought that was dumb and they didn't need to do it. But I unno, I think quality over quantity still works. They could have concentrated all their resources on building that one thing rather than having to support a large empire but since I don't know the scale of the first order I'm just bullshitting.

I'll still stand by the young actors choice because it ties in so well with Kylo Ren's character, who I thought I was gonna hate when I saw the marketing. He's also a young, lame rear end in a top hat trying way too hard to be a badass that he wasn't around to see.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i liked kylo ren as the bad guy quite a bit, when they revealed he just wore the helmet because he felt inadequate compared to vader or whatever that was a really solid moment

so much more character than darth maul

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Kylo is the best character in the movie because he is essentially a satire of Star Wars fans. He is an emotionally damaged man child who is obsessed with the legend of Darth Vader and has estranged himself from his parents with his wish that he could be as cool and badass as him. He even has a Star Wars toy which he plays make believe with. He is twenty something and older than Rey and Finn because the movie is making the point that if you care about Star Wars as an adult, you are a fuckup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

skasion posted:

Kylo is the best character in the movie because he is essentially a satire of Star Wars fans. He is an emotionally damaged man child who is obsessed with the legend of Darth Vader and has estranged himself from his parents with his wish that he could be as cool and badass as him. He even has a Star Wars toy which he plays make believe with. He is twenty something and older than Rey and Finn because the movie is making the point that if you care about Star Wars as an adult, you are a fuckup.

Yeah I too find it odd that the Kylo toys aren't selling as well as the Rey toys.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think people have legitimate gripes with story stuff or whatever with the movies, I am find with the type of stuff it did tho for the most part, but man I just can't see disliking most of the characters. Like they nail that poo poo down.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

skasion posted:

Any time someone makes a post like this I'm reminded of Charlie Kelly talking about wanting to bash some nerds.

"Good. Goooood. Let the self hate flow through you."

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mozi posted:

i liked kylo ren as the bad guy quite a bit, when they revealed he just wore the helmet because he felt inadequate compared to vader or whatever that was a really solid moment

skasion posted:

Agreed.

I guess some people think he should've been more intimidating. Like the movie should've gone for the obvious "He is even more powerful than Darth Vader!" bullshit and played it straight. Those people are basically Kylo Ren IRL.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

skasion posted:

It also created one of the best Twitter account.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KyloR3n/status/731957028860628992

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Mozi posted:

Yeah but the EU grabbed on to him like the only hot person left in a club at last call. I can't even count how many spinoffs he got. Because he made the whole Jedi/Sith fight scenes more to do with fast-paced martial arts and acrobatics than - what now seems to be - the bland fencing duel in ANH.

I saw TPM when I was 14 or so and remember loving the character even though he got like two lines in the whole movie. My first sw experience was Empire, which my dad rented for me (ironically in preference to some Disney movie) and told me "just watch this and if you don't like it, we'll go back and rent the one you want." When my family and a few friends went to see Phantom on the first day, he was unimpressed with Mr. Maul, saying only "he sure dances real purty." :shrug:

I thought they tried too hard to make Ren emo as hell, but that's prob'ly just ol' JJ trolling the fans as is his wont.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PBS Newshour posted:

I think people have legitimate gripes with story stuff or whatever with the movies, I am find with the type of stuff it did tho for the most part, but man I just can't see disliking most of the characters. Like they nail that poo poo down.

The characters were definitely the strongest part of the movie, and the casting was spot on. I immediately liked Rey/Finn/Poe/Ren, and even the imperial general was good with his, "I was brought up to be a superman, but we're not meeting our full potential, and I'm super frustrated" speech. The "bro-ness" developed a little too quick between Poe and Finn, but like I said, they were really pressed for time with all the stuff they were trying to cram into the movie.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Poe calls everyone buddy, even in the comic books. It's charming. :3:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Blistex posted:

The characters were definitely the strongest part of the movie, and the casting was spot on. I immediately liked Rey/Finn/Poe/Ren, and even the imperial general was good with his, "I was brought up to be a superman, but we're not meeting our full potential, and I'm super frustrated" speech. The "bro-ness" developed a little too quick between Poe and Finn, but like I said, they were really pressed for time with all the stuff they were trying to cram into the movie.

Hux is great, his hitler speech may not be the best thing ever but whatever.

Showing that the New Order is not as well put together as the empire by having the vader and tarkin fan boys not getting along and sniping at each other was a good story bit.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I liked the new movie, I thought it was fun and was going to see an outdoor showing of it, but it got cancelled due to rain. :(

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PBS Newshour posted:

Showing that the New Order is not as well put together as the empire by having the vader and tarkin fan boys not getting along and sniping at each other was a good story bit.

Showing the two of them fighting for Snoke's affection was pretty good, and even asking for permission to leave an exploding/imploding planet was :laffo:

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

Seriously, it's great. Kylo doesn't even kill a single subordinate like his granddaddy would have for doing next to nothing. Probably knows they can't spare the men.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Like, TFA's got it's issues,but whatever, it's still enjoyable to me.

But I can't help but feel a flash of rage when the bring back the 'Made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs' thing.

I just wanted Han to say "It was 12. And parsecs don't work that way anyway!" :(

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The only real issue I had was not knowing what the scale of the First Order was. They might control half the galaxy and be equal in strength to the Republic, they might be a handful of crazies ("handful" being a relative term when speaking on a galactic scale) and nearly all their strength was on Starkiller base.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter within the movie itself but it does leave questions about what exactly the destruction of the base meant beyond stopping the immediate threat. Like, is the loss of the base a minor setback, or a backbreaking blow that they're desperately reeling from? I guess the answer is "wait until Episode VIII" but this is the kind of thing that could have been taken care of with a single line of dialogue referencing the First Order's multiple planets or their skulking in the shadows or something.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Spoiler: the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Why can they see all the other planets go kaboom instantly and simultaneously if the weapon is firing through hyperspace anyway? I forget where they are when they see that but there must be plot tachyons radiated by the resulting explosions

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

kaschei posted:

Why can they see all the other planets go kaboom instantly and simultaneously if the weapon is firing through hyperspace anyway? I forget where they are when they see that but there must be plot tachyons radiated by the resulting explosions

Stuff like that and ships making sound in space are things I am willing to overlook.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Blistex posted:

Stuff like that and ships making sound in space are things I am willing to overlook.
Let me tell you why lightsabers are unrealistic:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

kaschei posted:

Let me tell you why lightsabers are unrealistic:

Let me show you my cost analysis of the clone wars and why the droid armies were economically feasible and clone troopers weren't.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'm willing to forgive it but I guess to me having both hyperspace and faster than light explosions is pointless? I like hearing TIE fighters but if there was also a stealth TIE that made no sound in space it would bug the poo poo out of me and that's basically what that scene was.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

This counts as EU right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:siren:controversial opinion:siren:

I appreciate the work it took to create that animation, but I can't loving stand the cheap anime look or the lovely music

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the early verisons without music were loving awesome

if you are going to make star wars into anime tho it needs to look like early gundam and be about poe and have like a synthpop soundtrack

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:siren:controversial opinion:siren:

I appreciate the work it took to create that animation, but I can't loving stand the cheap anime look or the lovely music

i think it is good and will fight you on this point until one of us dies, rather than accept that people have varying tastes and something being "good" is subjective

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Blistex posted:

I just sort of interpreted it as, "Starkiller base is larger, but the actual parts that they had to make are smaller than the death star. While it's more powerful, it's also less useful since it's not going anywhere, unlike the other two death stars." Still, we don't even know what the First Order has resource wise? Are they 80% of the Empire's strength at the beginning of ROTJ, or are they now on an even footing with the resistance? Hell maybe the resistance is even worse off than the rebellion? Finn says that everyone should run from the first order, but is that only because of their starkiller base, or are they that strong with their conventional forces? I'm hoping we get a little explanation in the next film, hell a map and 30 seconds could make everything abundantly clear.

Starkiller didn't seem necessarily more sophisticated than the Death Stars, just a more ingenious use of resources. The Death Star was a galactically-mobile small moon built from scratch, able to generate on-demand enough power to annihilate a planet. The delay in ANH was from the need to get a firing solution on the Rebel moon, not to charge the death ray.

The Starkiller was immobile, built onto the surface of a planet somewhere, and took a long-rear end time to charge with what were like...aggressive solar panels, I guess? It had long range, but lacked the precision to blast one planet. It was like the cosmic doomsday weapon version of an improvised explosive device or a zip gun.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Starkiller didn't seem necessarily more sophisticated than the Death Stars, just a more ingenious use of resources. The Death Star was a galactically-mobile small moon built from scratch, able to generate on-demand enough power to annihilate a planet. The delay in ANH was from the need to get a firing solution on the Rebel moon, not to charge the death ray.

The Starkiller was immobile, built onto the surface of a planet somewhere, and took a long-rear end time to charge with what were like...aggressive solar panels, I guess? It had long range, but lacked the precision to blast one planet. It was like the cosmic doomsday weapon version of an improvised explosive device or a zip gun.

At least according to Wookieepedia, the first Death Star's superlaser took 24 hours to recharge. I think it was kinda like a capacitor though - you had to wait 24 hours, but after that you could fire whenever you wanted, so the delay was from waiting for the moon to move from behind Yavin.

Do they actually say anywhere that the First Order explicitly built Starkiller from scratch? maybe it was an Imperial project that they took over or even more like the Star Forge or Centerpoint and is the trash of some ancient civilization.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Cthulu Carl posted:

Like, TFA's got it's issues,but whatever, it's still enjoyable to me.

But I can't help but feel a flash of rage when the bring back the 'Made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs' thing.

I just wanted Han to say "It was 12. And parsecs don't work that way anyway!" :(

The EU Fixed that.

You see there are a series of black holes........also a third deathstar

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah but Wookieepedia is garbage and that nonsense doesn't count any more. In ANH, they roll up to Alderaan, have that quick "power up the space beam" sequence, then toast the planet. In ROTJ, the Death Star takes a bunch of potshots at the Rebel fleet with the world-ending cannon. Everything in the original trilogy suggests that the Death Star can fire the big death laser pretty goddamn often. Since JJA was obviously devoted to the OT and only the OT, I feel like it's fair to use it as the only frame of reference for Death Star/Starkiller comparisons.

e: That was all in response to Cthulhu Carl's post^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

The EU Fixed that.

You see there are a series of black holes........also a third deathstar

Yeah, but I like the idea that Han was trying to :techno: some impressive sounding bullshit on the old dude in pajamas and the dumbass farmkid better.

It meshes with the theory that Han is also kind of a lovely smuggler as well.

Squizzle posted:

Yeah but Wookieepedia is garbage and that nonsense doesn't count any more. In ANH, they roll up to Alderaan, have that quick "power up the space beam" sequence, then toast the planet. In ROTJ, the Death Star takes a bunch of potshots at the Rebel fleet with the world-ending cannon. Everything in the original trilogy suggests that the Death Star can fire the big death laser pretty goddamn often. Since JJA was obviously devoted to the OT and only the OT, I feel like it's fair to use it as the only frame of reference for Death Star/Starkiller comparisons.

e: That was all in response to Cthulhu Carl's post^^

I just meant more that it could have taken a while for the laser's batteries to charge and they were at full charge and ready to go at Alderaan. And DSII is something something partial power to take out capital ships something something more advanced laser.

Also,I thought the point of multiple shots from Starkiller wasn't a "Well, we're too inaccurate to hit the capital so let's shotgun this baby" and more "Let's wipe out every planet in that system" Because it looked like most of them connected with a planet.

• Locked thread