Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

lt_kennedy posted:

The Lifeline I frequented because they had amazing craft supplies got flooded recently - gotten so much cool fabric from there that I do nothing with beyond hoarding. Recently I've been on a kick collecting rocks and fossils and found this dragon egg/septarian ash tray with a large amonite fossil at The Red Cross thrift shop but I also had a full punch card so with the discount it came to just under $3.

This is so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Heath posted:

I've been buying a ton of those old Penguin Classics when I find them

I like them a lot, they're high quality paper and they're trade paperback sized so they fit nicely in my bag. The later editions are larger and have less interesting covers to boot. These ones also tend to be cheaper, I can usually pick them up at thrift for 2-3 dollars

Nice!!!

My wife used to be an editor at Penguin. Sometimes I wish she still worked there so that she could bring home free books, because I really like Penguin's classics collection. It has made my life immeasurably better over the years.

Gutter Phoenix has a new favorite as of 06:20 on May 10, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I really like them, especially the newer deluxe editions. They're automatic pickups for me, because they not only look quite nice but they're virtually always books that are worth my time.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Heath posted:

I really like them, especially the newer deluxe editions. They're automatic pickups for me, because they not only look quite nice but they're virtually always books that are worth my time.

Yeah, they are books for people who actually read!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tex Avery posted:

Are you interested in selling the Jarts?

GWBBQ posted:

I was going to ask the same question, I'm still pissed that mine were lost or stolen in college.
maybe, what did you have in mind? seems like a boxed set of jarts is...very expensive on ebay. and this is two sets of 4 jarts/2 rings each in one box.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

maybe, what did you have in mind? seems like a boxed set of jarts is...very expensive on ebay. and this is two sets of 4 jarts/2 rings each in one box.

I didn't have a particular price in mind, to be frank. They're just cool as hell and I want a set. If you're serious about it, shoot me a PM with what you think is a fair price.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I go to antique and thrift stores a lot, driven largely by my wife's desire to do so. Due to this, we've found some cool stuff. Here's a sampling:

(Does facebook yard sale and antique store finds count? I assume so).

First up, I wanted a sling or chest bag for fly fishing. They aren't cheap generally, if you get an Orvis, Fishpond, or other name brands that cater to fly fisherman. I found this camelbak sling for $5:

As I'm typing this post, I'm drinking out of my 50 cent mug I got at the thrift store - this is one of our local small ski hills:

Here's a fountain we got off of facebook yard sale. We cleaned it up and put a tiny pump in it. :3:

Of course, there are always fancy glasses to be found at the thrift stores:

Wife saw this Asian season motif screen for $100 and snagged it. It's now above our bed:

Pachiko machine. Doesn't work, but it hangs on the wall of our kitchen:

Last week, found a working Pachinko machine, so my wife cleaned it up, did some internet homework and it works! We still need to get the lights working but it's very fun for cocktail hour:

That's the best stuff probably. I can walk around the house and post more if anyone is interested. I like this thread.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Where are you that you're finding pachinko? That's actually pretty cool!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Found the other day a book from "Billy" Meier about his UFO photography.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Meier

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DicktheCat posted:

Where are you that you're finding pachinko? That's actually pretty cool!

I've found multiple pachinko machines in Kansas City. Not a lot, maybe 4-5 over the past 10 years, and all but one were at those "mantique" sort of places where they sell neon beer signs, old tools, and sports memorabilia.

I've actually found this same shirt twice (both of which I bought and one of which I later sold), and again as a cocktail dress (which I did not buy and immediately regretted). I wear it to ugly sweater parties.

Now I have matching shoes!

Six skeins of handpainted sock yarn for $30. They had the original price tags on them-- $28 each.

2 foot square aerial photos of Kansas City from 1940 from Weird Stuff Antiques, one of the previously mentioned mantique stores.

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Planet X posted:

Last week, found a working Pachinko machine, so my wife cleaned it up, did some internet homework and it works! We still need to get the lights working but it's very fun for cocktail hour:

was there a period of time in the US when Pachinko was unusually popular? I think my gramps had this exact machine and gave it to us when I was a little kid and I had absolutely no idea what to make of it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not sure if yard sales count as thrift finds, but got part of a pull fire-alarn yesterday:

I'll probably just mount it on the wall of my garage as a curiosity, but maybe I'll find a weird way to, like, rig it up to some lights or my garage door opener?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Both Pachinko machines were purchased in mid Maryland. One at a Habitat ReStore, the other at an Antique mall.

I have no idea any of these machines ended up stateside.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not sure if yard sales count as thrift finds, but got part of a pull fire-alarn yesterday:

I'll probably just mount it on the wall of my garage as a curiosity, but maybe I'll find a weird way to, like, rig it up to some lights or my garage door opener?

Mounting a fake fire alarm anywhere seems like a bad idea.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Definitely mark it as non-functional and/or put a fire extinguisher right next to it. You know it doesn't work, sure, but there may be another person in your house at the same time as fire is visiting.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

amaguri posted:

was there a period of time in the US when Pachinko was unusually popular? I think my gramps had this exact machine and gave it to us when I was a little kid and I had absolutely no idea what to make of it.

My dad had one as well, but he was stationed in Okinawa for a bit, so I just assumed he got it from Japan.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I wasn't planning to go to the Phoebe Bridgers show next week but uh...

RIP me wearing a polyester onesie to an outdoor concert in May.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

RIP me wearing a polyester onesie to an outdoor concert in May.

Choosing to wear that much polyester outdoors in even mildly warm weather is a cry for help if I've ever seen one. Blink twice if you need an adult.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think you need to sweep your floor

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Tex Avery posted:

Choosing to wear that much polyester outdoors in even mildly warm weather is a cry for help if I've ever seen one. Blink twice if you need an adult.

I'm 35 :saddowns:

And the leaves were from a failed experiment to overwinter Boston ferns in the basement. Turns out that when they die all the leaves fall off as soon as you try to move them.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My son’s outfit brought to you by the fact that he works at Goodwill and doesn’t give a gently caress what anyone thinks. Total expenditure - $4 plus socks

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Slimy Hog posted:

My dad had one as well, but he was stationed in Okinawa for a bit, so I just assumed he got it from Japan.

Sears sold a lot of reconditioned ones for a few years in IIRC the early 70’s. You couldn’t pick out a specific one, you just paid $x from the mail-order catalog and they sent you one.

I have one in my garage I had working for a while, behind the pinball machine I had working for a while.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My son’s outfit brought to you by the fact that he works at Goodwill and doesn’t give a gently caress what anyone thinks. Total expenditure - $4 plus socks

I knew three people with that exact sweater in high school. In the 90s.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Your son looks like he has opinions about whether Genesis was better or worse post- Peter Gabriel.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Those are the socks of a bold independent thinker who needs to get some laundry done

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dareon posted:

I knew three people with that exact sweater in high school. In the 90s.

How many Rusted Root shows did they go to?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gleebster posted:

Those are the socks of a bold independent thinker who needs to get some laundry done

I used to date a girl who would only wear odd socks. Like, if she picked up two of the same, she'd put one down. Monster

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

codo27 posted:

I used to date a girl who would only wear odd socks. Like, if she picked up two of the same, she'd put one down. Monster

There was a Finnish politician (I forget who) who was spotted wearing a red sock on one foot and a green one on the other, and it was a loving scandal (slow news week I guess) and he was clearly senile/drunk/otherwise incompetent.

It's like, a lot of people who are into sailing wear socks like that as a lame lark. I'm sure someone in the rags' bullpens even knew that. Just gotta "make a thing out of a stick." (Obviously no-one who is into sailing should ever be in politics but that's beside the point.)

e: You can buy a pair from any boating goods store

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:19 on May 27, 2022

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I wore that exact same poncho every day when I was in high school during the early 90's!! I kept my pack of cigarrettes in the front pouch, like a smoking kangaroo! I also had long hair like that, except lighter blonde, and usually worn in pig tails like a superstud.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I wore that exact same poncho every day when I was in high school during the early 90's!! I kept my pack of cigarrettes in the front pouch, like a smoking kangaroo! I also had long hair like that, except lighter blonde, and usually worn in pig tails like a superstud.

We all thought you died in the 90s, Mr. Hoon

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

gleebster posted:

He does his own laundry, but doesn’t fold/organize/match afterwards.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I did not die in the skeleton suit. Weather was perfect, mid sixties, and the rain didn't start until after I got home. Phoebe Bridgers puts on a great show, highly recommended.

I also wore it into Quik Trip.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Found this today at a local thrift/construction sakvagey/etc store:

Call me crazy... But isn't the one of those bowls churches keep the holy water in?

I didn't buy it, because 18 years of Catholic guilt made me feel like I might actually go to Hell if I did.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My friends and I went bar hopping on st paddy's a few years ago, but beforehand we went to the thrift store to buy vessels to drink out of all night. I ended up with a pint glass shaped like a cowboy boot, one of my friends got a communion chalice

I'm still jealous

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Found this today at a local thrift/construction sakvagey/etc store:

Call me crazy... But isn't the one of those bowls churches keep the holy water in?

I didn't buy it, because 18 years of Catholic guilt made me feel like I might actually go to Hell if I did.

It’s an ashtray

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

BigFactory posted:

It’s an ashtray

That'a a big loving ashtray. It's almost 12" across, and has a perfect corrosion line all the way around the inside where the water level would be.

Like, looks a lot like the thing they baptize babies in) over, that's all I'm saying.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

DrBouvenstein posted:

That'a a big loving ashtray. It's almost 12" across, and has a perfect corrosion line all the way around the inside where the water level would be.

Like, looks a lot like the thing they baptize babies in) over, that's all I'm saying.

For sale: Baby font, never used.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

Serious smokers need serious ashtrays

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Holy smokes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm at the ashtray (what)
I'm at the baptismal font (what)
I'm at the combination ashtray and baptismal font.