Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

It goes down slightly, that's a sign to buy more bitcoin while it's cheap, because it'll go up.

This guy gets it - the secret behind making a Smart Passive Income from Home by Investing In Bitcoin, which is the title of the ebook i am going to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

This guy gets it - the secret behind making a Smart Passive Income from Home by Investing In Bitcoin, which is the title of the ebook i am going to write.
the secret is not doing this

https://twitter.com/BitmexRekt/status/926046780642545664

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

True, bitcoin mining takes as much electricity as the entire country of Nigeria regardless of whether anyone is submitting transactions. But despite that, it's still worth pointing out the incredible wastefulness of proof of work-based blockchains

Rephrase that. Even if nobody is using Bitcoin, humanity as a whole is still spending as much money on keeping Bitcoin alive as is required to provide energy to all of Nigeria. Roughly speaking.

But this is a perfect long-term store of value, better than gold. It can only go up.

(Until people realize it's a pyramid scheme and/or Tinkerbell. It only continues to exist so long as all the Chinese keep clapping.)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Inept posted:

Well yeah that was kind of my point. Ham Sandwiches is acting like bitcoin is viable for real world stuff when it's not.

It’s very viable and becoming more so over time. If you wanted to live without using dollars for anything important you pretty much could. Not being able to convert btc to fiat hasn’t been an issue in the first world for years now.

The secret isn’t that it’s not viable, it’s that no one does it because virtually everyone who has owned bitcoins over a prolonged period of time thinks they’re a market god and never spends them.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Adar posted:

Not being able to convert btc to fiat hasn’t been an issue in the first world for years now.

I'm talking about using bitcoin for paying your cable bill or buying a game on steam like Ham mentioned. Why would you ever do these things with bitcoin when you have to pay a $5 fee to transfer 300 bytes of data.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Inept posted:

I'm talking about using bitcoin for paying your cable bill or buying a game on steam like Ham mentioned. Why would you ever do these things with bitcoin when you have to pay a $5 fee to transfer 300 bytes of data.

But the fees have nothing to do with that. The true believers have a large number of ways to get the fees down to nothing (prepaid crypto debit cards, converting to eth, lowering the gas and paying early...) They won’t use any of them because bitcoin can only go up and why would you pay a bill in money that only goes up?

Ironically, as soon as it hits a 3 month bear market the fees will come down to zero again. It will still not be used, though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Adar posted:

But the fees have nothing to do with that. The true believers have a large number of ways to get the fees down to nothing (prepaid crypto debit cards, converting to eth, lowering the gas and paying early...) They won’t use any of them because bitcoin can only go up and why would you pay a bill in money that only goes up?

Ironically, as soon as it hits a 3 month bear market the fees will come down to zero again. It will still not be used, though.

Common security advice is to keep your own wallets and to keep them offline so that you're not vulnerable to someone else getting hacked or just running away with your bitcoins. Moving bitcoins from your cold wallet to <any of those options> still takes more time and costs several dollars more than just whipping out a credit card

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Adar posted:

It’s very viable and becoming more so over time. If you wanted to live without using dollars for anything important you pretty much could. Not being able to convert btc to fiat hasn’t been an issue in the first world for years now.

The secret isn’t that it’s not viable, it’s that no one does it because virtually everyone who has owned bitcoins over a prolonged period of time thinks they’re a market god and never spends them.

I dunno it still seems like most of the interest in BTC these days is in how many USD you can buy with it, now how many goods/services. Like, it's trivially obvious that at the end of the day what people really want is more USD not more BTC.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well I got out early at $5400 but I can't really be too sad, it was basically found money from 2014 after all.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
oh poo poo,

Yes, Your Old Canadian Tire Money Could Be Worth $3,000

To give you an idea, a 50-cent bill from 1958 is currently worth more than $1500, points out Maclean’s, who has written an extended feature on Canadian Tire money and its cabal of collectors.

A $2 Canadian Tire note sold from 1989 went to auction with a $3000 price tag.

Stacks of Canadian Tire cash can also be sold. Currently, on eBay, a brick of 25-cent bills from 1992 is going for more than $1000.

But, as with all collectibles, the standard stuff isn’t going to garner any interest. Only rare or peculiar pieces of Canadian Tire money are going to draw in collectors who will throw down big bucks.

For example, a $2 Canadian Tire bill from 1992 that had a misaligned serial number on the back can be sold for thousands. A $2 note from the same year, without the defect, won’t get nearly as large an offer.

So who designates how much a bill is worth? And who is actually going to buy these Canadian collectibles?

There’s a group for that: the Canadian Tire Coupon Collectors Club.

https://www.mtlblog.com/whats-happening/yes-your-old-canadian-tire-money-could-be-worth-dollar3000

better start rooting through your grandpas 56921357943256 bags full of those stored in the garage or basement. you might get rich!

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
bitcoin weekend status: I'm up like 450 dollars on my bitcoin stock and I'm going to spend it all on pizzas.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where can I buy a bitcoin burrito tho?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

bitcoin weekend status: I'm up like 450 dollars on my bitcoin stock and I'm going to spend it all on pizzas.

To celebrate, those pizzas should have pepperoni arranged to look like a bitcoin.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

To celebrate, those pizzas should have pepperoni arranged to look like a bitcoin.

You're talking a lot of sense here, my man.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

mojo1701a posted:

touching the poop is one thing but some things you just shouldnt eat

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"I'm big, you're small. I'm right, you're wrong."

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Bitcoin update my bitcoin stock is up 12% today and I've made 500 dollars or, roughly, 50 pizzas.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bitcoin update my bitcoin stock is up 12% today and I've made 500 dollars or, roughly, 50 pizzas.

Wow you must be very dumb because this is going to crash any minute now

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Wow you must be very dumb because this is going to crash any minute now

is the fork or spork gonna happen today or whatever?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

something v bad has happened to ethereum :rip:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poverty goat posted:

something v bad has happened to ethereum :rip:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/07/a-major-vulnerability-has-frozen-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars-of-ethereum/

quote:

A major vulnerability has frozen hundreds of millions of dollars of Ethereum

Stay safe poverty goat

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Shamelessly stolen from yospos where the guy took ownership of the library that handles transactions then killed it so theres no protocol for handling transactions now:

His defence for dumping $150M+ in the void:

Ethereum's smart contracts don't seem very smart.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This is good for bitcoins.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao

"What does this function do?"
*shuts down entire financial platform*

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

The amount of ethereum nuked is closer to $300 mil now

Just

Lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Time to purchase more ethereum coins, as it has just become much more rare than before!

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Imagine a man stumbling Mr. Magoo style into a bank, then ending up in a series of events that destroys several hundreds of millions of dollars, and you will be picturing the butt coins

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
That's good for bitcoin,time to make 10.000 dollars in pizzas.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

COMRADES posted:

lmao

"What does this function do?"
*shuts down entire financial platform*

As secure a platform as MTGOX when they had most of their bitcoins stolen. No doubt this has probably hit an exchange and they will probably run as a ponzi scheme until they meltdown.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I hate to think about bit coin and the fortune I could have had... Sitting at work like a chump while the guy who dried raspberries on his computer is rich........ FML

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Think about the guy who sold his house for bitcoin when it was around $1000. Bitcoin went up almost as much as the Canadian housing market in the same time.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Smythe posted:

I hate to think about bit coin and the fortune I could have had... Sitting at work like a chump while the guy who dried raspberries on his computer is rich........ FML
rotten strawberry guy lost his money in exchange theft
also you can dwell on about 10s of thousands of opportunities for easily becoming wealthy in a more realistic (can actually cash out your whole wad without crashing the market youre trying to cash out from) way that are all readily apparent in hindsight. its just nobody in gbs is making threads about scams and stocks and sports bets

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 7, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

rotten strawberry guy lost his money in exchange theft

how do u know of this factoid? just curious...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i was just trying to soothe your mind with sweet likelihoods

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smythe posted:

Think about this while you're at it

OBAMAAAAAAAAAA

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This thread is still going? gently caress. Should I close it? Or just leave it to rot?

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
Thread is just people's reactions to a risky investment, whole market is blowing up, short VIX etc, Ether being hacked isn't newsworthy. kill the thread

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

This thread is still going? gently caress. Should I close it? Or just leave it to rot?

I mean, etherium just had 300 million worth deleted by poor coding, so I'd leave it open for that alone

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
If you close the thread, you may close all of SA by the smart contract made when you opened the thread in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I was wondering why btc jumped 200 bucks inside an hour last night, guess money was fleeing eth!