Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Edit: it's important to understand that the base game factions were definitely taken from the geopolitical ideologies of the time. The expansion got a bit more imaginative with the ideologies, for better or worse.

I wouldn't say it got more imaginative. The Drones and Cult of Planet are both left wing analogues of The Hive and Believers, respectively. Transhumanism and data punk were just the de jure sci fi ideologies of the 90s, and the Nautilus Pirates are very ideologically vague, but according to all their flavor text they're basically 18th century pirates superimposed onto Planet. I say they're right wing anarchists because from what little flavor text they get, they're all about the NAP meaning anything that comes into their property is theirs now.

All the SMAX factions feel weak, because there aren't nearly enough new technologies, base facilities, or wonders to flesh out their factions and ideologies like the original 7 do. The original 7 just get way more flavor text, and the Progenitor factions get almost nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i thought republicans defending pedophilia would be the worst thing i'd see someone defend today lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

and this after you suggested that calling you 'white guilt motivated' was somehow disingenuous. My point is was about moral standards, and how we judge countries, not arguing why china needs more white people or whatever. The fact that you jump to that, that that seemed natural to you, is proof of my claim.

No I just notice that you only ever seem to get really riled up when it looks like you can call reverse racism, because the xenophobia of a country that experienced mass murder and rape by foreign invaders in living memory is somehow equivalent to a settler state that hasn't had a foreign war on its soil in over 200 years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

for those posters who have a hard on for hating the west how do you feel about israels genocide since its not the west

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No I just notice that you only ever seem to get really riled up when it looks like you can call reverse racism, because the xenophobia of a country that experienced mass murder and rape by foreign invaders in living memory is somehow equivalent to a settler state that hasn't had a foreign war on its soil in over 200 years.

um excuse me, Aleutian Islands Campaign much???

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

for those posters who have a hard on for hating the west how do you feel about israels genocide since its not the west

Do you mean the holocaust, or Israel's genocide of Palestinians?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Anyway it's a trick question, because Israel thinks of itself as a western country that practices European Jewish chauvinism.

Autism Sneaks posted:

um excuse me, Aleutian Islands Campaign much???

lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

rudatron posted:

American minorities also have plenty of on-paper programs and such, but all that is belied by their actually-existing experience.

minorities in china get less resume callbacks than ethnic han: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1186/2193-9039-1-12

african migrant workers in china are accused of 'carrying ebola and aids' by politicians, and discrimination is rife and socially tolerated: https://qz.com/945053/china-has-an-irrational-fear-of-a-black-invasion-bringing-drugs-crime-and-interracial-marriage/

they've banned the uyghur language in xinjaing (after massive race riots that killed about ~2000 people): http://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/language-07282017143037.html

and then there's tibet, which we don't even have any information on, because reporters aren't allowed in, but all signs point to 'it's poo poo'

Again: had the same standards we used to judge the US, been applied to china, you wouldn't be defending it.

my goal is more about getting homeex to admit hypocrisy, even if i know that's a fool's errand.

and this after you suggested that calling you 'white guilt motivated' was somehow disingenuous. My point is was about moral standards, and how we judge countries, not arguing why china needs more white people or whatever. The fact that you jump to that, that that seemed natural to you, is proof of my claim.

citing radio free asia where the fourth paragraph of the article refers to the maintenance of the bilingual education system, disproving the headline. great sourcing

Jose posted:

lmao of course home ex comes to post loads of words about how genocide is cool and good because china is doing it

shut the gently caress up jose, the most you ever contributed to this forum was being stupid enough to almost die in a hurricane.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

when israel genocides palestine its european chauvinism when china genocides uyghurs its cool and good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jose posted:

a bit on the nose for israel to fight over a bank imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

maybe home ex just hates muslims like a lot of americans which is why he's fine with it

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

when israel genocides palestine its european chauvinism when china genocides uyghurs its cool and good

genocide by government programs deliberately designed to maintain ethnic and cultural autonomy. again, shut the gently caress up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

genocide by government programs deliberately designed to maintain ethnic and cultural autonomy. again, shut the gently caress up

so genocide is cool and good when its china doing it lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

Israel ethnically cleansed Palestinians during the Nakba to outright seize their territory, and continue to piecemeal dispossess Palestinians of their homes for the purposes of Jewish settlement. The two situations aren't comparable, and your argument that the Chinese are "genociding" Uighurs has more in common with alt-right Eurabia replacement paranoia than anything that comes even close to fitting the acceptable definition of a genocide.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

so genocide is cool and good when its china doing it lmao

keep repeating the same thing over and over and see if it sticks you colossal drunken nincompoop

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

a bit on the nose for israel to fight over a bank imo

:holymoley:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't expect you to suddenly stop being extremely broken in the brain i just want to lol at you defending what china is doing to the uyghurs

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

As far as I'm aware, it wasn't any african countries that invaded china, yet anti-black racism in china is very real and big.

It's the double standard that's grating, more than anything. Neither you, homeex, nor anyone else with similar beliefs such as yourself, is either able or willing to discuss the issue with the frankness it deserves, because doing that would undermine your own conceptions of racism, xenophobia and prejudice, how we discuss those issues, and what their causes are.

And it's not really your fault, you've inherited it from a wider left rhetoric on this issue, that is ultimately unable to be comprehensive and systematic about the issue, because its centered in the political context of the west, and has to deal with the political reality of sharing the same space with out-and-out racists and reactionaries.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Israel ethnically cleansed Palestinians during the Nakba to outright seize their territory, and continue to piecemeal dispossess Palestinians of their homes for the purposes of Jewish settlement. The two situations aren't comparable, and your argument that the Chinese are "genociding" Uighurs has more in common with alt-right Eurabia replacement paranoia than anything that comes even close to fitting the acceptable definition of a genocide.

they just lock them up on mass and accuse them of terrorism no big deal

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

i don't expect you to suddenly stop being extremely broken in the brain i just want to lol at you defending what china is doing to the uyghurs

and i don't expect your blood to stop being a gushy mix of ethanol and cadbury creme

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you'd probably defend whats currently going on in myanmar

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

As far as I'm aware, it wasn't any african countries that invaded china, yet anti-black racism in china is very real and big.

It's the double standard that's grating, more than anything. Neither you, homeex, nor anyone else with similar beliefs such as yourself, is either able or willing to discuss the issue with the frankness it deserves, because doing that would undermine your own conceptions of racism, xenophobia and prejudice, how we discuss those issues, and what their causes are.

And it's not really your fault, you've inherited it from a wider left rhetoric on this issue, that is ultimately unable to be comprehensive and systematic about the issue, because its centered in the political context of the west, and has to deal with the political reality of sharing the same space with out-and-out racists and reactionaries.

The frankness it deserves is that Chinese people having racist opinions on blacks doesn't matter to me, because I'm American and not Chinese. This is a naked excuse for you to pretend that you're a victim of reverse racism because China doesn't want to make it easy for you to become one of their citizens, and that white expats in China are the real victims.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I'm pretty sure the underpaid illegal Filipino immigrants/trafficked people's are the real victims

Edit: among others

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

home ex is so broken brained that rather than say this si hosed up but what can i do he resorts to insults lol

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

you'd probably defend whats currently going on in myanmar

no i wouldn't, because they are different things and unlike you i can keep more than one thought in my head at a time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ace of Baes posted:

I'm pretty sure the underpaid illegal Filipino immigrants/trafficked people's are the real victims

Edit: among others

Sure, but that's not the line that's being drawn here re: rudatron's rant about white guilt.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

home ex is so broken brained that rather than say this si hosed up but what can i do he resorts to insults lol

yeah weird that i'd dismiss your dumb rear end trundling in here and making broad, incorrect statements instead of taking you seriously. not like you've done this, repeatedly, or anything

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

StashAugustine posted:

i basicically didnt play smax but i never really got how cult of planet was ideologically different from the gaians

smax factions are just smac factions but more extreme

drones:hive, cult:gaians, cybernetics:university etc

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Are there any people who're the exact reverse of Homework Explainer, like they're born in China but think capitalism is so cool they'll defend anything the U.S. does

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i don't think they need to because china is capitalist as gently caress

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

right, i guess the difference is that whereas the israelis expel the palestanians out of their territory by making their lives unlivable the chinese make uighur lives unlivable but then dont' even allow them to leave lol

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Are there any people who're the exact reverse of Homework Explainer, like they're born in China but think capitalism is so cool they'll defend anything the U.S. does

i remember hearing a story from the cold war where some polish emigre would defend south africa as a paradise of racial harmony because he figured the government was lying to him about everything so clearly south africa wasnt actually racist

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This issue doesn't affect me, so it's not a problem. Are you even listening to yourself?

Like I'm not talking to the chinese government here, I'm talking to, and about, you and homeex. How are you talking about the issue? So far, it's to not acknowledge it at all, or pull out a tu quoque, or pull out of the same apologist handbook that every other rear end in a top hat does.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Typo posted:

smax factions are just smac factions but more extreme

drones:hive, cult:gaians, cybernetics:university etc
drones are not the same as the hive, and they're not more extreme either

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rudatron posted:

This issue doesn't affect me, so it's not a problem. Are you even listening to yourself?

Like I'm not talking to the chinese government here, I'm talking to, and about, you and homeex. How are you talking about the issue? So far, it's to not acknowledge it at all, or pull out a tu quoque, or pull out of the same apologist handbook that ever other rear end in a top hat does.

pener has already said that since it doesn't affect him he's fine with it so he's presumably fine with israel and saudi arabia

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
it's impossible for non-whites to be racist and when they are it's not really their fault cuz WWII

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jeb! Repetition posted:

try literally any cuban expat

and i guess i should know better than to respond to you, also

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Typo posted:

right, i guess the difference is that whereas the israelis expel the palestanians out of their territory by making their lives unlivable the chinese make uighur lives unlivable but then dont' even allow them to leave lol

I'm pretty sure Jose is drunk, what's your excuse for posting like a loving idiot lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm pretty sure Jose is drunk, what's your excuse for posting like a loving idiot lol

mass incarceration is cool and good if its china doing it ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

should i have been posting ethnically cleansing this entire time instead of genocide