Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
people around my workplace have been getting a ton of those, and i have no idea where from. have i been pwned says the common link is a linkedin leak from god knows how long back, but surely linkedin didn't have cleartext/unsalted passwords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Truga posted:

but surely linkedin didn't have cleartext/unsalted passwords?

Hmm.

e: Lol, I thought I remembered reading this
No salting at all.

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jan 17, 2019

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truga posted:

people around my workplace have been getting a ton of those, and i have no idea where from. have i been pwned says the common link is a linkedin leak from god knows how long back, but surely linkedin didn't have cleartext/unsalted passwords?

well, are they getting it for a lovely password then? i should have been in the linkedin leak but had a password that is reasonably hard to force, and have gotten no threatening emails

wouldn't be too surprised if plenty of passwords were weak enough to be worth forcing despite salt though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
everyone tells me "no, i only use this lovely password for lovely things like <obscure forum/webapp account>" but lol.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
so how about that big dump

https://www.troyhunt.com/the-773-million-record-collection-1-data-reach/

haveibeenpwned says my email is in there but i don't know which password
where do i sign up for the blackmail spam

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

suffix posted:

so how about that big dump

https://www.troyhunt.com/the-773-million-record-collection-1-data-reach/

haveibeenpwned says my email is in there but i don't know which password
where do i sign up for the blackmail spam

"Collection #1 is a set of email addresses and passwords totalling 2,692,818,238 rows. (And yes, fellow techies, that's a sizeable amount more than a 32-bit integer can hold.)"

Uh, Troy, about that...

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

James Baud posted:

"Collection #1 is a set of email addresses and passwords totalling 2,692,818,238 rows. (And yes, fellow techies, that's a sizeable amount more than a 32-bit integer can hold.)"

Uh, Troy, about that...

we don't talk about unsigned integers around here

also it's referring to a tweet he made earlier where he tried to do count(*) and sql threw an exception

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

evil_bunnY posted:

how’s the payload delivered?

suspicion is some kind of drive-by but since its being processed in-memory from the wire and then nuked actually recovering conclusive evidence is proving difficult

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

unfortunately too many people go into the same cycle due to the toxicity, and it's hard for a pushback against toxic culture to happen without majority opinion or you'll be seen as causing drama yourself

the post wasn't directed at you, more at any lack of awareness at how a loud portion of the industry acts

Flakes on the non-toxic side of the issue don't help matters. I don't follow this stuff on social media enough to remember names, so I don't know who all the insane people are.

I stopped going to one conference because each year the keynote speaker would be an old white lady that just talked about how forward, non-toxic, and unbiased she was. Sometimes they'll also have a Native American ancestor, and then tell us a story from their tribe.

The one that made me give up on the conference was a lady that took this online test https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ She said she would tell minorities about how high her scores were, after doing the test multiple times until she'd get the score she wanted, some people would get mad and she didn't understand why. The only thing that made things worse was when you get to the Q&A and the both the speaker and the person asking the question are the types that always have to be the last person to speak in a conversation and nobody is willing to step in and stop things when there's that tiny gap before one of them starts talking again. 45 minutes for two people in the audience.

I also work in a female dominated industry and it took me awhile to notice how sexist a lot of the men are. I started picking up on it with incidents like a co-worker (female) explaining to a consultant (male) that the idea they have, isn't going to work. The consultant just kept pushing it via email for around a month, until I jumped in and said the same thing as her. Then all of the sudden he magically understood.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chemosh6969 posted:

Flakes on the non-toxic side of the issue don't help matters. I don't follow this stuff on social media enough to remember names, so I don't know who all the insane people are.

I stopped going to one conference because each year the keynote speaker would be an old white lady that just talked about how forward, non-toxic, and unbiased she was. Sometimes they'll also have a Native American ancestor, and then tell us a story from their tribe.

The one that made me give up on the conference was a lady that took this online test https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/ She said she would tell minorities about how high her scores were, after doing the test multiple times until she'd get the score she wanted, some people would get mad and she didn't understand why. The only thing that made things worse was when you get to the Q&A and the both the speaker and the person asking the question are the types that always have to be the last person to speak in a conversation and nobody is willing to step in and stop things when there's that tiny gap before one of them starts talking again. 45 minutes for two people in the audience.

I also work in a female dominated industry and it took me awhile to notice how sexist a lot of the men are. I started picking up on it with incidents like a co-worker (female) explaining to a consultant (male) that the idea they have, isn't going to work. The consultant just kept pushing it via email for around a month, until I jumped in and said the same thing as her. Then all of the sudden he magically understood.

at least it's not steve bannon

he was giving a speech about economic opportunities for minorities in tech, presumably that he thought there were too many and should be harder to get

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

chemosh6969 posted:

I'm going to assume you copied this from reddit.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

quote:

I bet gbs would love to hear your stories about this

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

am i rite

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Hexyflexy posted:

I'm going to assume you copied this from reddit.

speaking of reddit, there's been quite a few people lately complaining about sextortion emails. The twist is that these threats include proof that someone really has gotten a hold of the victims' homegroan, probably from actually using the compromised credentials

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Employee Falls for Fake Job Interview Over Skype, Gives North Korean Hackers Access to Chile's ATM Network: Report

https://gizmodo.com/employee-falls-for-fake-job-interview-over-skype-gives-1831801832

quote:

A Redbanc employee found a job opening on LinkedIn for a developer position. After setting up a Skype interview, the employee was then asked to install a program called ApplicationPDF.exe on their computer, trendTIC reports. The program was reportedly explained to be part of the recruitment process and generated a standard application form. But it was not an application form, it was malware.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chemosh6969 posted:

characterizing a philosophy by its most extreme proponents is a ridiculous place to start from. not to mention the people you're dismissing as flakey or toxic have likely taken *a ton* of abuse over the years and have reached appoint where they just can't do anything but be angry when poo poo happens.

gently caress, i've been accused a lot of times of being an SJW and being hyper-sensitive and flying off the handle for no reason, and to an extent it's true in the sense that I tend to go from 0-100 really fast when something bothers me and I don't really let up on it, but that's a pretty natural result of 30 years of trauma coupled with an insane uptick in the amount of abuse I started to receive after coming out as trans.

so when people start whining about "crazy loud sjws", they're really saying "I tortured you until you couldn't do anything but scream and I think that's your fault".

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

suspicion is some kind of drive-by but since its being processed in-memory from the wire and then nuked actually recovering conclusive evidence is proving difficult
do you have some kind of exec logging? some parts of our org are still on Symantec, I’ll ask if they’ve seen crashes.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

so when people start whining about "crazy loud sjws", they're really saying "I tortured you until you couldn't do anything but scream and I think that's your fault".

well either that or "this problem doesn't exist/isn't really that bad because i'm not personally affected by it, therefore you're making it up for attention, wouldn't it be better if we all just got along and left the politics out of it???"

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

ymgve posted:

did organizers wipe it from the whiteboard when they got the report tho, and if so did they do it before or after complaining on twitter

It wasn't even a white board, so they couldn't wipe anything away (sec fuckup #2). Instead someone put BrakeingSec podcast stickers on it

https://twitter.com/deborahlindseyl/status/1048401909353209856

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

It wasn't even a white board, so they couldn't wipe anything away (sec fuckup #2). Instead someone put BrakeingSec podcast stickers on it

https://twitter.com/deborahlindseyl/status/1048401909353209856

my new favorite is the one that just says "hedgehog" :yayclod:

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

characterizing a philosophy by its most extreme proponents is a ridiculous place to start from. not to mention the people you're dismissing as flakey or toxic have likely taken *a ton* of abuse over the years and have reached appoint where they just can't do anything but be angry when poo poo happens.

gently caress, i've been accused a lot of times of being an SJW and being hyper-sensitive and flying off the handle for no reason, and to an extent it's true in the sense that I tend to go from 0-100 really fast when something bothers me and I don't really let up on it, but that's a pretty natural result of 30 years of trauma coupled with an insane uptick in the amount of abuse I started to receive after coming out as trans.

I'm not saying I'm basing all my things off the extremists. I'm also old and just don't care for social media because it's filled with a lot of extremists that drown out whatever info I'm looking for.

Someone taking a test that measures your biases repeatedly to get the score they want, is completely missing the point of the test. I think people trying to be something they aren't are just flakey. I'm also an ally and have a safe space in my office, so I'm not attacking you or anyone else except lovely people.

Please don't be mad at me.

edit: I'm not saying someone with issues being trans, or whatever they id as, is a flake but anyone that does things like putting their hands on their head to sync up their heartbeat with their head, is a flake for that reason. It doesn't have anything to do with what they id as.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 17, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

chemosh6969 posted:

anyone that does things like putting their hands on their head to sync up their heartbeat with their head, is a flake for that reason.

wait what? is this a thing people do? what does it have to do with anything else?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Holy poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lol @ hearing the words "social justice warrior" and attaching a negative valence

what does that make you, big boy? the warrior ... against? justice?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ hearing the words "social justice warrior" and attaching a negative valence

i mean, the phrase sjw was literally created as an insult. it's stupid but that's where it came from.

I like to expand the acronym to "social justice wizard" personally

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i mean, the phrase sjw was literally created as an insult. it's stupid but that's where it came from.

I like to expand the acronym to "social justice wizard" personally

can be both wizard and warrior, you need the warrior so your party doesn't get overrun by kobolds

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
whoopsie doodle
https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/1085828997013954560

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Shame Boy posted:

wait what? is this a thing people do? what does it have to do with anything else?

Based on what interaction I had with her, I'd say it's one of those new age type of things. I grew up in an area full of hippies, new age type stuff, vampires (ugh Anne Rice), white witches (not race white but white magick) and I'm 100% biased against their beliefs. Someone in the LGBT group doesn't phase me at all because that's just how they are. Insane new age stuff is something learned about and decided to go with because it seemed like a good idea.

I'm know I have to be in the minority on growing up with stuff like this but I think it's better than being a dude in a MAGA hat.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chemosh6969 posted:

Based on what interaction I had with her, I'd say it's one of those new age type of things. I grew up in an area full of hippies, new age type stuff, vampires (ugh Anne Rice), white witches (not race white but white magick) and I'm 100% biased against their beliefs. Someone in the LGBT group doesn't phase me at all because that's just how they are. Insane new age stuff is something learned about and decided to go with because it seemed like a good idea.

I'm know I have to be in the minority on growing up with stuff like this but I think it's better than being a dude in a MAGA hat.

I think the disconnect is why are you bringing any of this up in the context of men not being qualified to dismiss women's reports of harassing behavior?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

I really wanna know how many lovely Wordpress pluggins there are that have exactly this same problem

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I think the disconnect is why are you bringing any of this up in the context of men not being qualified to dismiss women's reports of harassing behavior?

I woke up at 4am and just started digging myself a hole? I don't know what I was thinking.

I didn't want people to think that just because someone was LGBT, that I instantly assumed they were a flake. I probably get overly defensive when people think I'm toxic like that.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 17, 2019

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

my new favorite is the one that just says "hedgehog" :yayclod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzhzCYOZ-o

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

I woke up at 4am and just started digging myself a hole? I don't know what I was thinking.

I didn't want people to think that just because someone was LGBT, that I instantly assumed they were a flake. I probably get overly defensive when people think I'm toxic like that.
Yeah go back to sleep

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it makes me a big and important burly manly man with a tough outer skin!!!

*posts hundreds of tweets about how I’m never buying Gillette again due to a commercial that says “be nice to women”*

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Not a sec-gently caress but on topic as of late, this person SLEEPYCATT had another Minecraft music festival with donations going to the Trevor Project, kind of neat https://minecraft.xxx/. Second festival of theirs I've heard of but there might have been more. Luckily no second life style goons have infiltrated their events yet as far as I know with flying dicks and the like.

Unrelated but apparently custom Minecraft servers made tons of money at least as of a couple years ago, from donations and people paying to buy extra items and such. A lot of DDOS attacks at a previous hosting company I worked for were aimed at Minecraft servers, apparently hired by other server operators trying to knock their competition offline. Krebs has been reporting on an increasing number of "booter" providers getting arrested lately, Mirai copycats and the like, darn.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

sadus posted:

Luckily no second life style goons have infiltrated their events yet as far as I know with flying dicks and the like.

Why in the name of god would you say that to us lot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

chemosh6969 posted:

Maybe stop digging though?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
can we move on? i am tired of bad opinions in here about non-secfuck stuff

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the thread title says “security fuckups” not “insecurity fuckups”