Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for how to survive and thrive in act 2? I got to the point where I could squeak out a victory against the prospector and fisherman, but the merchant wrecks me. So I tried the other area, with the necromancer guys, and beat her three guys, got to the boss, and she just hits like a truck. I feel like I'm never doing okay in the card game in this act, I never have enough blood to get anyone on the board, everything costs too many bones to really be worth it, and I don't have any good cards from the other 2 card types yet to make a deck of them. I can't go to the training dummy yet, I can't grind against anyone, and I'm not good enough to beat the fights left available to me.

skeletons are squirrels that can attack

you now know everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
The key thing is just to use a variety of card types. There are certain ones which have great resource utilization without requiring any commitment into that type, like the energy mage which powers up using the energy that otherwise wouldn't be using each round, or the bone guy with a similar mechanic.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hwurmp posted:

skeletons are squirrels that can attack

you now know everything

My only source of skeletons is from the gravedigger card, I picked the blood deck to start with

The leshy blood deck sucks in act 2, and I cannot build up the power now to try to overkill anyone, not that I have anyone to grind against

I feel like I overlooked something big but don't know what

edit: and how does one even build up a significant supply of bones if you're spending bones just to get skeletons on the field, how do you save up 13 for some of these crazy expensive cards, I don't last anywhere near long enough to stockpile that much of a resource. I have only gotten two mage cards, the battery cards all feel hugely underpowered, and I can never draw enough blood cards to get the good stuff out before I'm being overwhelmed by my opponents

edit 2: Losing out on being able to draw a squirrel per turn has massively gimped my ability to get new stuff out, I feel like I'm overlooking a key gameplay feature

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 27, 2022

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Starting a new game helped.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

rotinaj posted:

My only source of skeletons is from the gravedigger card, I picked the blood deck to start with

The leshy blood deck sucks in act 2, and I cannot build up the power now to try to overkill anyone, not that I have anyone to grind against

I feel like I overlooked something big but don't know what

edit: and how does one even build up a significant supply of bones if you're spending bones just to get skeletons on the field, how do you save up 13 for some of these crazy expensive cards, I don't last anywhere near long enough to stockpile that much of a resource. I have only gotten two mage cards, the battery cards all feel hugely underpowered, and I can never draw enough blood cards to get the good stuff out before I'm being overwhelmed by my opponents

edit 2: Losing out on being able to draw a squirrel per turn has massively gimped my ability to get new stuff out, I feel like I'm overlooking a key gameplay feature

there should be cards that are just skeletons, which are free. Make your deck like half-skeleton so you always have a good chance to draw something to sacrifice. You can also do this to just instantly win every fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GSPLDTt658&ab_channel=Sifd

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Be deliberate in your deck building. Focus on one mechanic and make sure you can almost always make a play. It's best to have a smaller deck so you can be more likely to get a card you want and can use. Remember the goal isn't to do the most damage, but to tilt the balance. If you can do 5 damage on the first turn, you win; if you can prevent the other player from causing you damage, you win; if you can always do more damage than they do, you win. Do stuff to collect and buy more cards.

Bones and blood have a decent synergy at least.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I had a moment just like that in Act 2 when I started with Mage. I actually regretted mage and figured if I could go again I'd start with blood or bone since magic had so many self-dependent things I didn't have enough of yet. When you say started a new game helped, did you mean it lets you pick a new deck in act 2 and roll different packs, or did you just start over in act lol. I just stuck with it after some perspective/strategy shifting. If you did straight up start over, do yourself a favour and make sure to fucks with the mushroom huts in act, there's some secret side stuff that you can only get if you use the mushroom huts enough in act 1.

What got me through that hump was starting my deck over entirely, stop trying to build a "mage" deck and just put in things I know I could reliably get on board as long as I draw them. lots of the little/cheap cards from the packs you get put together don't seem like a good deck but all you need is to tip the balance enough at any moment. Then you can get a nice rub going on cheap beasts leaving behind bones to toss at cheap skellies and boney things. Each fight also has a specific kind of gimmick or predictable puzzle problem of sorts to solve. There was one npc, not sure who, that had a set-up I just couldn't beat and i looked them up shamefully but quickly found some strategies specific to that battle that helped me through.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

rotinaj posted:

Is there a guide anywhere for how to survive and thrive in act 2?

Ouroboros

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Act 2

There seems to be two balanced decks in the game, in the first part it is the blood deck, in the second part it was the energy deck. I played through act 2 with the energy one and I killed everyone but Leshy first try. granted there was some other decks mixed in for flavor (except magic since it is so specialized) and I never had to cheese anything like Ouroboros. I mean, it makes sense for the energy deck to have the second most effort put into building it

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

For Act 2, I'm really convinced all 3 of the non-mage starter decks work very well. The key is that splashing other types is extremely beneficial, because no matter what your gameplan is you'll have creatures to sacrifice, and energy/bones to spend on cards. The mage starter deck isn't bad per se, but it does kinda require you to lean into the gimmick to go anywhere.

For what it's worth, yeah, my end deck was just a big grab bag. I mostly had energy cards for the low cost stuff, sacrificed those cards to summon big blood creatures, and I fit in the Bone card that lets you sacrifice bones for +1/+1 to finish out games. Didn't include anything super cheesy, just because I wanted to play fair.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
the guy who plays Luke Carder is doing a stream of Inscryption right now

https://twitch.tv/kevinsaxby

also when did they add the ability to link to twitch videos wow

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
:psyduck: I chose Mage and never used any non-Mage cards, I don't think I lost more than one or two matches.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Well, the best way to play mage is to never choose any non-mage cards, that's kinda his gimmick, so good job.

Anyway, progress update picture:

It actually feels like I might be able to finish these things in time, which is nice. I've also got a whole buttload of props we've been buying and making but those get immediately shipped to the person who is closest to where the event is being held. Gonna see if I can't get him to take a picture of the collection tonight.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This looks awesome already.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That is so cool lol.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It looks significantly less awesome now. Apparently one of the glosses I was using never dries. So after a few days in their box the cards stuck to each other and ripped to pieces when I tried to separate them. So now I need to redo three weeks worth of work in five days. If I had just stuck to the one gloss I would have been fine, but nooo, I wanted to have slightly different gloss levels on the front and back, and now I pay for my greed!

So no more gloss, and I'm probably gonna have to cut some corners by doing things like not cutting the corners. Should have enough time to redo them all and finish everything else but hot drat if I thought I was cutting it close before I'm DEFINITELY cutting it close now.

The rest of the props are going really well though. Ironically enough the fake teeth look real and the real bones look fake, hah.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gently caress, thats awesome

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do wonder if anyone is going to take us up on the alternative item we've introduced to replace the knife/pliers.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I do wonder if anyone is going to take us up on the alternative item we've introduced to replace the knife/pliers.

Alternatives? If they play well enough they won't need to utilize particular game mechanics :colbert:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Is it "hand me your phone, Leshy gets to post a message of his choosing on a social media account"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Im just imaging someone for real yanking one of their teeth out in front of you and every watching going :kstare:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Im just imaging someone for real yanking one of their teeth out in front of you and every watching going :kstare:

"I didn't think you'd actually do it."

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Is it "hand me your phone, Leshy gets to post a message of his choosing on a social media account"

"Step on this lego"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

All cards printed and packed up. Got a lot of copies of each card since we're gonna be destroying or altering, like... the majority of these in various ways throughout the course of the event, and it's hard to know which ones so I need extras if practically everything! (lots and lots of copies of anything that shows up in the starter deck especially) and then a solid number of blank cards to fill in any gaps and let us make death cards.

Making solid progress on the scripts, the tutorial was the longest bit and that's done now, and I've finished about 1/3rd of the battle plans and 1/3 of the route maps. Only a few days left before I head out to get that stuff done, and unfortunately school has been cancelled tomorrow due to the weather conditions. So not a lot of time on any of those days to actually do them.

I was actually supposed to be done with everything today, but... yeah, having to redo all the cards from scratch put me a bit behind schedule. I've decided I'm still going to round the corners though! It's just gonna be my "waiting at the airport/on the plane" activity instead of something I waste time here doing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I beat Leshy, but I killed the moon with instant death. Does that change something? Afterwards I got the videos etc (which i didn't watch) and continued on but all that has changed so far is my name card is on the door and there was a voiceover clip after I beat the prospector.

Just checking if there's something I'm missing or the way to continue is to just continue playing the board.

I feel like I've already mastered the card game by just focusing on things like instant death, ouroboros, mantis god and infinite sacrifice cards, while ignoring bones and trying to get rid of all cards I don't want. I'm winning most games in the first round like this, not even getting into all the other tools. It really gives you loads of ways to win. Does it get harder again?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

roomtone posted:

I beat Leshy, but I killed the moon with instant death. Does that change something? Afterwards I got the videos etc (which i didn't watch) and continued on but all that has changed so far is my name card is on the door and there was a voiceover clip after I beat the prospector.

Just checking if there's something I'm missing or the way to continue is to just continue playing the board.

I feel like I've already mastered the card game by just focusing on things like instant death, ouroboros, mantis god and infinite sacrifice cards, while ignoring bones and trying to get rid of all cards I don't want. I'm winning most games in the first round like this, not even getting into all the other tools. It really gives you loads of ways to win. Does it get harder again?

Have you gotten the caged wolf from those cabinet puzzles? If you have, let it die

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Also, make sure to use all your items, some of them have secondary effects.

Basically: You've got the combat stuff down, but it sounds like you still haven't solved the room puzzles. You need to do both to continue progressing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
This is a hint I gave to a friend of mine who was stuck in potentially a similar situation to you. They had defeated Leshy three times without figuring out something important due to constantly getting good combinations with the Squirrel totem. They had also done everything in the main room except the clock. So if that doesn't apply to you, (for example, if you haven't done all the cabinet puzzles like the other poster mentioned) feel free to skip this hint:

In order to get further you must be not as good at the game as you have been. Imagine you were very very desperate to get past one of the fights but you hadn't yet learned how to build an overpowered deck

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Superrodan posted:

is a hint I gave to a friend of mine who was stuck in potentially a similar situation to you. They had defeated Leshy three times without figuring out something important due to constantly getting good combinations with the Squirrel totem. They had also done everything in the main room except the clock. So if that doesn't apply to you, (for example, if you haven't done all the cabinet puzzles like the other poster mentioned) feel free to skip this hint:

In order to get further you must be not as good at the game as you have been. Imagine you were very very desperate to get past one of the fights but you hadn't yet learned how to build an overpowered deck

Is this supposed to reference using the knife to take out your eye? because I'm not sure what you mean and I beat the game

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is this supposed to reference using the knife to take out your eye? because I'm not sure what you mean and I beat the game

Yes

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's worth looking around the world with a fresh set of eye.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, make sure to use all your items, some of them have secondary effects.

Basically: You've got the combat stuff down, but it sounds like you still haven't solved the room puzzles. You need to do both to continue progressing.

Superrodan posted:

This is a hint I gave to a friend of mine who was stuck in potentially a similar situation to you. They had defeated Leshy three times without figuring out something important due to constantly getting good combinations with the Squirrel totem. They had also done everything in the main room except the clock. So if that doesn't apply to you, (for example, if you haven't done all the cabinet puzzles like the other poster mentioned) feel free to skip this hint:

this'll be it. i haven't exhausted the stuff in the room/messed around with all of my items yet. i thought at least some of that stuff was for later or was optional.

thanks

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Interesting discovery: If you make a card that is too OP in Kaycee's mod, Kaycee herself will nerf it (and Leshy will call her out for it)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Maps are nearly done. Last day to do them, I have to finish the small final map (one section of normal locations, then boon stop on a long trail, then tent/cabin) but I also really want to finish an alternate variant of the first map for anyone who plays a second time since right now its just the boring mostly choiceless tutorial variant. I also really want to add decorative elements to the maps like the trees and some other stuff but that cam happen at the event if necessary whenever I'm bored. Even the alternate forest map is still optional though, Ill definitely have the mandatory stuff done which means... I did it! I will definitely have finished enough that I can actually hold the event.

What a loving relief, I was really worried there when I had to start over from scratch, and this was really cutting it close to the wire.

No pictures of the masks yet, but I've seen them and they are wonderful. Mask maker experimented with a new material for them and hates how they came but I think they look great. In a couple of days I'll be on site and we'll be doing our dress rehearsals so you'll get some real good pictures of it all coming together, but for now I can only offer this.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 7, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh my god this looks fantastic, I wish I could play in it!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

https://m.imgur.com/a/W0cqZxQ

Game is going well, had a few people tell me it made their day

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GlyphGryph posted:

God drat.

I never asked, do you have eight grizzly bears with Reach to deploy if you run out of content?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

So loving cool

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009
Got any more pictures? That's so neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I do! But the internet is bad and intermittent out here so I won't upload them until I get home tomorrow.