Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
One of the things about the Khabib/Islam situation is that part of the strategy is taking the opponent down specifically very close to his own corner, which is then immediately followed by Khabib providing specific step-by-step instructions on what to do, watching Islam fights I know exactly what he's about to do because I can hear Khabib yell it a couple seconds before, it's actually really insightful in terms of knowing exactly where I should be looking, as a viewer.

They have near-identical strategy on the ground, so I just think if anyone comes up with a specific method or skillset to out-grapple Islam, they would've been able to do the same to Khabib, and if it turns out that nobody does, well then I have no reason to believe Khabib's fights would have ended up any differently.

Now, keeping the fight on the feet? Catching him standing or on the way in? That's a completely different story, that can/could've happened to either fighter (and in fact, it did, as Islam's not undefeated), I guess I should have been more specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Brut posted:

They have near-identical strategy on the ground, so I just think if anyone comes up with a specific method or skillset to out-grapple Islam, they would've been able to do the same to Khabib, and if it turns out that nobody does, well then I have no reason to believe Khabib's fights would have ended up any differently.

Yes, their fighting style is similar on the ground, but they don't share the same body. If Islam goes on to win his next 20 fights with Khabib-like ground attacks, you couldn't use that to infer that Khabib would have too. I've been watching MMA for too long, I know there are no guarantees, no sure things. Their body, mind, age, are all different. The same punch affects people differently. One might just glace off Khabib, or it could KO Islam (like Adriano Martins already did), or Islam might be able to absorb strikes that would have downed Khabib. Maybe Khabib would have torn his ACL next fight, but a younger Islam wouldn't. We will never know.

Its also a matter of boredom. Khabib and GSP talked about towards the end they were just bored with the fight game. Being able to mentally put all that aside and keep defending your belt year after year makes you the GOAT.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

These two shared not only yheir background and training environments but their DNA, and they still were not the same fighter physically, technically or relatively to their division.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1498512097466060802?s=20&t=mNDRtImgLJUjPzJjVr6_MQ

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Jake Shields was super dirty and kept poking GSP in the eyes. I think GSP said to his corner he couldn't see out of one eye? That's why GSP kept throwing those crazy overhand punches, he couldn't see well enough for accurate jabs.

Jake Shields also just threw lots of bad punches in every fight. He also outstruck Akiyama by some gigantic margin. He was loving terrible at it, though. He's the only fighter on bully beatdown to actually lose the striking round to the bully

Fun fact, he also threw that overhand because they'd seen Hendo have success with it and so figured he might do the same.

CarlCX posted:

The only truly acceptable answers are Mighty Mouse, Jose Aldo, and Matt Serra.

I'd actually genuinely agree with this. DJ and Aldo, despite still being active and good, are past their peak and so their careers can be judged in something like completion, and they're the best two examples we've had yet of the wrestleboxer and the sprawl and brawler respectively, which are the two most consistently successful archetypes of fighter (though that's kind of pointless since, if you really boiled it down, all fighters could be lumped into one of those two categories)

Matt Serra is simply Matt Serra, and thus beyond comparison

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Bluedeanie posted:

These two shared not only yheir background and training environments but their DNA, and they still were not the same fighter physically, technically or relatively to their division.

One fed carrots to a bus and one was run over by a truck!

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CarlCX posted:

The only truly acceptable answers are Mighty Mouse, Jose Aldo, and Matt Serra.

Throw in Sakuraba and you've got a sale.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Whoa, interested in reading the complete story of what happened when its released.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Whoa, interested in reading the complete story of what happened when its released.

https://twitter.com/newsdamian/status/1498545899521253378

Doesn't look good.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jon Jones and Conor's reach relative to height is pretty close. Conor is 1.08in in reach per height with jones at 1.11. A 5'8" person, like McGregor, would have an inch and a half more reach with Jones' wingspan (75.6 vs current 74). That isn't going to stop Khabib from taking them down and smashing their face.

ya I'm not talking about that. Conor has long arms for his height. but he's not as tall compared to his division as JJ is. in the example of a mini-Bones, he would be 6'2" with a 6'7" reach. i think his size + strength + fight iq + skills make him the favorite in any fight ever, even against Khabib at the same weight. DC is not as freakish of an MMA grappler, but he is insanely strong + good, and JJ dominated him twice. i think it looks like that if you did the reverse and made Khabib some big rear end LHW.

i also think GSP would out-wrestle Khabib. but I think Khabib is probably #3 in my bullshit hypothetical ratings.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

ya I'm not talking about that. Conor has long arms for his height. but he's not as tall compared to his division as JJ is. in the example of a mini-Bones, he would be 6'2" with a 6'7" reach. i think his size + strength + fight iq + skills make him the favorite in any fight ever, even against Khabib at the same weight. DC is not as freakish of an MMA grappler, but he is insanely strong + good, and JJ dominated him twice. i think it looks like that if you did the reverse and made Khabib some big rear end LHW.

i also think GSP would out-wrestle Khabib. but I think Khabib is probably #3 in my bullshit hypothetical ratings.

DC and Khabib are almost the same height.

Also Jones is not so tall for LHW that a LW version would need to be 6’2”. Jones, himself, is only 6’4”.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Hes been charged with attempted murder

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Pretty impressive that literally shooting a guy doesn’t make you as much of a piece of poo poo as Jon Jones.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sea Level Cain really is terrifying

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Dang, they really do try to kill each other sparring at AKA

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Snowman_McK posted:

59-4 in strikes, 11 (of 11) in takedowns. loving hell what a massacre. GSP was actually pretty consistent in having wide striking margins, even against very busy fighters like Condit and Diaz. The only exceptions are Johnny Hendricks (not surprising) and Jake Shields (loving lol)

I remember watching the hardy fight and being impressed at how many times I thought his limbs were broken but him sticking with it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bluedeanie posted:

Sea Level Cain really is terrifying

nordichammer posted:

Dang, they really do try to kill each other sparring at AKA

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Come join us in March, a good month where nothing bad is happening or will happen.