Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I'm not able to comment on performance, because this unpacking process is taking years (gently caress you Steam), but apparently a huge chunk of the negative reviews are from Chinese Steam users review bombing because they're pissed about some marketing fuckups that happened in that market?

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1494236360328323075

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, two things that a lot of people neglect when it comes to their income are blue line skills that increase income from battle/sacking, and the fact that a lot of people just automatically occupy every settlement they defeat instead of sacking them. Sacking settlements with the help of skill bonuses can cram your coffers and make the difference between choosing between recruiting some new units or constructing a settlement building, to being able to afford both options on the same turn.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I skipped the tutorial and started as Ogres to see how it works, I left the advisor on high but there are some weird things it doesn't tell you about as far as I noticed. Some are Ogre specific, like where the 'make camp' command is (easily found but still) or how Names work (just had to guess) so I assume the tutorial also didn't mention those.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm not able to comment on performance, because this unpacking process is taking years (gently caress you Steam), but apparently a huge chunk of the negative reviews are from Chinese Steam users review bombing because they're pissed about some marketing fuckups that happened in that market?
They've been throwing a hissy fit for a while now because some Chinese streamers that got early access were "undeserving" of the honour bestowed upon them of some such nonsense.
The internet makes you stupid:shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I heard one of the streamers kept making a fart noise on a soundboard every time he clicked end turn

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Accidently installed this on my normal hard drive instead of the SSD so after this morning's session I'm reinstalling it on the SSD

Started with Katarin and Kislev, super fun but a little weird to get used to, was fine fighting the Norscans but fighting other Kislevites took me a little bit due to the AI having their entire army on skirmish mode (?)

Luckily I figured it out and have a proper gunline setup to unite Kislev with so I can blast them to pieces as they mill around

Oh and I'm starting to get a little tired of settlement battles already but that might just be due to the aforementioned army wide skirmish mode on all the Kislev settlements I fought

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Third World Reagan posted:

Other than that, don't play on ultra unit sizes. Ultra is dumb.

Ultra is the unit size that the game is best balanced on or at least it was in wh2.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

game pass omes with ogre kingdoms fyi. yay saving 80 bucks!

edit: poo poo im wrong

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mahasamatman posted:

So far the game is having a lot of issues for me at 2560x1440. It launches in 1920x1080. I can swap to my resolution but it drifts up the screen a little bit (mouse cursor is slightly off too.) If I set it to "window" it drifts even more. Setting it back to fullscreen works until I hit a loading screen or change focus. Cut scenes also seem to gently caress it up.

weird, same. for me even setting the UI scale back to 100% didn't fix it (though dear god the 200% scaling looks AWFUL). fullscreen is fine but borderless is never quite the right resolution, which is annoying in a game that you tend to tab out of as much as TWWH. apparently -popupwindow in the Steam exe args improves it? haven't tried yet. i have no idea why that arg appears to fix so many games misbehaving in borderless--you'd think by this point devs would have figured that problem out and included whatever magic it works by default

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The game has a funny idea of "low" advisor frequency.

i dearly wish there was a faction-specific hit+new wh3 stuff setting. every turn i'm flummoxed as to why i can move my army until i realize the advisor desperately needs to teach me what attrition is

bonus points for him telling me about how i needed to move my army out of dangerous terrain to stop attrition, when my ogre army was out of meat and doing cannibalism. he never explained how the meat mechanic and the consequences of running out worked.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Played through the prologue which reminded me of why I hate snow battles in this series. The white backdrop is plain awful, it tires my eyes to look at and you can't see a bunch of the light blue targeting effects.

I do think some of the textures look a bit blurry, but it might just be some graphical option. I'll try fiddling with settings tomorrow. Other than that game's good so far.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Can the Gamepass version play multiplayer with the Steam version? I've been burned by that before.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Performance in the prologue is just fine on a 3070 at 1440p, using whatever the ultra preset settings are. Not seeing the hitching problems that folks are talking about in Steam yet.

Also looks loving great in game, 8/10 will be 11/10 when immortal empires releases.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah I'm running into some weird UI fuckery when using 1440p, unfortunately as this monitor is 1440p I don't really have a choice in the matter and therefore must await a fix.

The siege battles really, really suck for the attacker if you don't have cannons and poo poo; a historical and practical truth but I don't like having to relearn the fact. CA's love for OP towers once again infuriates me (yes I know towers can be shot down by chaff very easily, it's still a pain in the rear end).

Everything else is mwah, I love this series.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I played a bit of the Cathay and Demon Prince campaigns

The game is good. Definitely buggy but so far it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect out of Total Warhammer and the new additions are neat, can't wait for the combined map.

Cathay is a lot of fun, cool units, interesting campaign mechanics. The Storm Dragon LL is rad. I want to poke around in Kisliev and Ogres before I settle into a campaign but this will probably be my first.

Demon Prince didn't grab me. There sure are a ton of units, which I generally like, but at least the early-game roster lacks a lot of visceral oomph despite being strong and it's largely lots of very similar units from different gods. The body part selecting isn't as interesting as I hoped and it's weird that you can swap constantly on the fly for free, so if you want to min/max it you could tailor your body for each individual fight and choosing between parts is pretty meaningless. Plus you unlock so many of them that you're constantly flooded with notifications and more slightly-different-stats arms to choose from. I'll probably like the mono-god factions more despite what I expected pre-release

e: Played some Kislev - they're extremely boring, literally not a single exciting or cool unit in their entire roster, no fun campaign mechanics to play with... but I felt that way about them before I ever played them so ymmv. I've never been into bear cavalry / gruff russian soldier type memes and that's pretty much their entire army, plus ice witches. I'm not super jazzed about Ogres either but maybe they'll surprise me. Overall I'm more excited to play against these factions than as them (except for cathay, which owns). Kislev has a ton of hybrid units which I think will probably make them popular but I'm not a fan of hybrid units personally

e2: My 3070 was struggling a little on Ultra settings in 4k but I dropped to a 2k res and dropped the settings to High and now it runs well. In 4k the main menu was constantly giving me warnings about not enough video memory :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 17, 2022

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Ultimately it's more of the same in a franchise that I've very much enjoyed, I wasn't expecting a revolution of the format and I think that with a few patches this will be amazing. Some of the refinements seem like a step back though, mostly UI stuff and, whilst I haven't fought any yet, the siege changes do sound awful.
My ageing 970 handles medium settings well in the prologue, but I will say that it looks like poo poo. Gonna try inching the settings up as WH2 looks great and runs fine on higher graphics.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

All settings on High or better, and my 1070 is handling it like a champ. No chugging, solid frame rate. It's a beautiful game.

Not really feeling Kislev in the prologue, though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah I'm running into some weird UI fuckery when using 1440p, unfortunately as this monitor is 1440p I don't really have a choice in the matter and therefore must await a fix.

The siege battles really, really suck for the attacker if you don't have cannons and poo poo; a historical and practical truth but I don't like having to relearn the fact. CA's love for OP towers once again infuriates me (yes I know towers can be shot down by chaff very easily, it's still a pain in the rear end).

Everything else is mwah, I love this series.

This might help, they were having UI issues too at 1440p.

Mahasamatman posted:

Going to quote myself because I fixed this by changing the UI scale to 100%. Apparently CA has had this issue with a few games. Changing the resolution was defaulting the scale to 200% which threw information off the screen and caused the cursor to not line up. It's under Advanced Settings > UI Scale

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I just love the manic giddyness of Tzeentch horrors :allears:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

This might help, they were having UI issues too at 1440p.

Yeah, I used that fix earlier. That said, 100% UI scale at 1440p still sucks rear end. A friend recommended a fix, I'll try it tomorrow.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

deep dish peat moss posted:

In 4k the main menu was constantly giving me warnings about not enough video memory :shrug:

whats it using after playing a while? The menu barely eats 5 and the battle benchmark doesn't cross 8 in 4k

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The kislev roster feels very... samey. Everything is both ranged and melee, so there's really not much differentiation, it's just a whole army of lothern sea guard.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Whoof early game Cathay feels dire to me. You're playing dwarfs except your units are way shittier, your tier 2 artillery are cannons instead of catapults(cannons aren't bad but catapults are waaaay better for smashing low tier stacks early game), and your characters(outside of the dragon siblings, who are incredible) are all comically frail nerds.

It's not particularly unwinnable but it feels like a huge slog on VH/H.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The Cathay dragon siblings feel like they'd be great Mortal Kombat characters.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

Ultra is the unit size that the game is best balanced on or at least it was in wh2.

No, it wasn't. That size was large. I believe SFO might have balanced for ultra though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ravenfood posted:

No, it wasn't. That size was large. I believe SFO might have balanced for ultra though.

Yeah, WH2 was 100% balanced for large sizes. I believe they've said TWW3 is balanced for Ultra, though.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Someone mentioned it already but god drat the fog setting is such a hog. Turning it down made a massive difference.

EDIT: Can't understate this. I was actually upset about this game's performance on my 2080 until I switched fog to Low.

Coquito Ergo Sum fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 17, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dont really like this new UI, a lot of the colouring makes things hard to see, like the icon that tells you you can construct an upgrade in a settlement.

the skill trees are untouched apart from making lightning strike a 3/3 talent so now you've gotta waste 2 more levels before buying anything fun

the new reinforce system seems really strange on defence, it takes a minute or so for your reinforcements to show up so you... just wait for a minute while the enemy politely waits too so it adds nothing except a time waste.

why does it want to alert me that a garrisoned lord hasn't moved, yes thats the poiint? oh CA please stop adding more poo poo to turn off every time you press end turn in these games

anyway those are my gripes so far, its still TW:WH though so im gonna play this all day once work is over

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kanos posted:

Yeah, WH2 was 100% balanced for large sizes. I believe they've said TWW3 is balanced for Ultra, though.

It's so weird that they decided to balance around a non-standard-sounding size. You'd have thought they'd balance around medium - "large" sounds like a setting you'd have to opt into.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Communist Thoughts posted:

why does it want to alert me that a garrisoned lord hasn't moved, yes thats the poiint? oh CA please stop adding more poo poo to turn off every time you press end turn in these games

pretty sure that was in the last game, there's a way to turn it off permanently for individual armies iirc

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Did anyone have the game crash when loading the battle?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

VanillaGorilla posted:

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1494236360328323075
Possibly a case of Hurt Feelings over Cathay not including the nine-dash line.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I had one CTD while playing the prologue, mid-battle. Also a bug where my quest wouldn’t progress after the first tutorial battle.

So, you know, day 1 release with all that entails.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Just got done unpacking. Going to set units to ultra and go from there. What are some of the advanced settings that can be turned down low or off that won’t have a noticeable effect on graphics. Someone said fog effects earlier. I usually set the portraits to 2D as well.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Nash posted:

Just got done unpacking. Going to set units to ultra and go from there. What are some of the advanced settings that can be turned down low or off that won’t have a noticeable effect on graphics. Someone said fog effects earlier. I usually set the portraits to 2D as well.

Water is usually a big one. I don't know if they still do it, but most TW games have a constantly rendered layer of water beneath the ground layer, even on a 100% land map. If you can take the minor visual hit, turning Anisotropic from 16x to 8x can make a big performance difference.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I suppose it could be that, or it could be standard mad that others got early access

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

If you can take the minor visual hit, turning Anisotropic from 16x to 8x can make a big performance difference.

Wait really? I always thought anisotropic was one of those things that basically had no performance impact

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Wafflecopper posted:

pretty sure that was in the last game, there's a way to turn it off permanently for individual armies iirc

nah it was in the last game for units standing around outside of garrisons but not when garrisoned im pretty sure

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Shumagorath posted:

Nah it’s mostly because CA’s PR department prioritized early access codes to big streamers (that turned out not to be Total War or strategy game fans) over the people playing Total War in China. Imagine if they gave a code to Pewdiepie and not Turin for example, and then Pewdiepie made a video talking poo poo on total war because he can’t win the fights.

Also, I don’t get what’s wrong with the trees? They just look a bit bigger and there’s fewer of them.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
So people got into the files and found a potential list of all the immortal empire settlements/provinces: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sujy21/combined_map_regions_from_the_game_file/

tl:dr : 192 provinces and 508 settlements in this map.

Here's a meme picture of what that map could look like considering those settlements: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/sul41q/warhammer_3_mortal_empires_based_off_the_game/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sure enough, TWW3 is already the biggest launch in the Warham series, hitting over 130K concurrence already, more than either previous game. Gonna install it now and see how it runs on my 1070 given all the Steam performance complaints (probably mostly from people on generations-old cards trying to run it on max). I'm seeing that low fog and FXAA instead of TAA can make a big difference.