Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FoolyCharged posted:

I just noticed that the plaid on Stan's jacket is a fixed grid, so that when he moves the pattern on it changes.

This has been the case in every single Monkey Island game. It started out as a graphical limitation, but it's something they've refused to give up. It's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FoolyCharged posted:

I just noticed that the plaid on Stan's jacket is a fixed grid, so that when he moves the pattern on it changes.

SirSamVimes posted:

This has been the case in every single Monkey Island game. It started out as a graphical limitation, but it's something they've refused to give up. It's beautiful.

Yeah, that was a trick they used in a lot of animations to do patterned clothes without having to actually redraw the pattern constantly but by the time the third game had rolled around the devs had decided that it was an integral part of Stan's design. It really does work well with his crazed arm waving too :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
The last video for chapter four has been recorded, I thought it was going to take two but a lot of "courses" were very short to complete. It'll be up tomorrow, I'll also be recording the first episode of chapter five for either Monday or Tuesday.

I completely forgot how this chapter ended, it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I've been pleasantly surprised by the writing throughout this chapter. For all the general Monkey Island goofiness, it's been quite engaging.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Tales Of Monkey Island - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood 05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue0ZrI1jmh8

Guybrush manages to complete the rest of the courses and saves the day. Surely he must, chapter five will be one long party, right? RIGHT?!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I've been pleasantly surprised by the writing throughout this chapter. For all the general Monkey Island goofiness, it's been quite engaging.

Yeah it has gotten a lot better. One of the lines near the end of the chapter is a nice callback to the first episode I really wasn't expecting. But then there's stuff like the repeat of callbacks to the earlier games that sort of brings them all down just a bit.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That is the most brilliant Lost Woods puzzle I have ever seen.

However, if the court only deals with pirate on pirate crimes, why imprison voodoo lady.

And it wasn't quite addressed here but hinted at but I'm going to call MlF not being dead. La singe was completely ineffectual at holding elaine back or dealing with guybrush in the first episode, I really can't imagine him being able to out-swordfight someone who was evenly matched with Elaine. Why she'd imply he did or other details I have no idea.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Rita Repulsa posted:

That is the most brilliant Lost Woods puzzle I have ever seen.

However, if the court only deals with pirate on pirate crimes, why imprison voodoo lady.

And it wasn't quite addressed here but hinted at but I'm going to call MlF not being dead. La singe was completely ineffectual at holding elaine back or dealing with guybrush in the first episode, I really can't imagine him being able to out-swordfight someone who was evenly matched with Elaine. Why she'd imply he did or other details I have no idea.

Plus la Singe doesn't explicitly admit to killing her. I suspect what happened will have something to do with Guybrush's ultimate fate.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

LeChuck probably killed her.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
LeChuck was in prison at the time though.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Come on guys, it was clearly Guybrushes magnetic monkey friend seeking vengeance for being framed.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Wow. That.

That was a thing that just happened. Goddamn.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Iretep posted:

LeChuck was in prison at the time though.
LeChuck was also "in prison" when he murdered Guybrush Threepwood.

Seriously, Guybrush just spent several episodes breaking in and out of this prison, and LeChuck has been actively trying to do things Guybrush's way.

Also, we're playing a Monkey Island game, and villain-of-the-week De Singe apparently knew nothing about it, so it defaults to LeChuck.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I drew a thing a while ago, and I feel it's a perfect opportunity to share it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just a note that went unmentioned, you pulled a lion's paw out of an injured thorn.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Le Chuck really baited Guybrush into that line. That was actually quite cool.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Also, when LeSange was thrown to his untidy demise, there was the very beginning of a Wilhelm scream.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Air is lava! posted:

Le Chuck really baited Guybrush into that line. That was actually quite cool.

It's really well done. It simultaneously makes you laugh and feel like you've been kicked in the gut.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er... WHICH LINE? :supaburn:

(I'm looking at the imdb page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1538526/trivia?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu for your reference.)

On that note, I'm guessing the fact that Guybrush had a hand chopped off without any repercussions earlier is explained by Pox... And the fact that after the removal of the Pox he didn't bleed out in agony...? What I'm getting at is, does his sudden reversal to vincibility have to do with anything else except "narrative" logic?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Le Chuck: "Something something unholy matrimony."
Guybrush: "Unholy what?"
Le Chuck: "Unholy this!"
Then he stabs him the same way Guybrush stabbed him when he said that in episode 1.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh. That's certainly something Le Chuck would remember. Hurr.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I liked the fingergun. Guybrush's severed hand is a cool dude.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I love the name for episode 4. It's called 'The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood' and you spend the majority of the episode puzzling your way out of the trial to avoid Guybrush's execution. Then Guybrush gets stabbed anyway.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Procrastinator posted:

I love the name for episode 4. It's called 'The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood' and you spend the majority of the episode puzzling your way out of the trial to avoid Guybrush's execution. Then Guybrush gets stabbed anyway.

The title is great misdirection as it implies that the execution was going to be by the townspeople's hands then BAM, LeChuck was your executioner the whole time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Gotta admit, I was legitimately mildly surprised by what really should have been the most obvious of 'sudden but inevitable betrayals'. LeChuck was never to be trusted (NOR the voodoo lady, for that matter, but, eh, needs of the plot), but he was fairly charming as a bumbling human git while it lasted.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I'm guessing the escaped pox hand is what ends up bringing guybrush back? Since we didn't see it get de-jujued?

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
I was kinda hoping for the noble sacrifice plot-line (Guybrush/Elaine: "Oh no - la esponja cannot absorb all of the Vodoo pox! We need another vessel to store it in..." Le Chuck: "I volunteer as tribute!", etc.), but that was an interesting ending. I'm honestly surprised that Le Chuck did immediately reabsorb all that Vodoo power - he just seemed so happy to be human again!

EDIT: Whilst looking up the spelling of 'esponja' I found that SpongeBob Squarepants is called 'Bob Esponja' in Spanish. This tickled me!

NeoAnjou fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

NeoAnjou posted:

I was kinda hoping for the noble sacrifice plot-line (Guybrush/Elaine: "Oh no - la esponja cannot absorb all of the Vodoo pox! We need another vessel to store it in..." Le Chuck: "I volunteer as tribute!", etc.), but that was an interesting ending. I'm honestly surprised that Le Chuck did immediately reabsorb all that Vodoo power - he just seemed so happy to be human again!

I actually thought it was interesting that he did seem so happy and willing to play nice since in the first game's lore (and I think at least one exposition dump) they established that LeChuck was a pretty nasty piece of work when he was alive, and his experiments with voodoo that turned him into a fearsome Ghost Pirate only started after he had been rebuffed by Elaine, who would continue to do so for as long as he wasn't casting a voodoo mind control spell on her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They managed to throw enough curveballs and suspicion and such with LeChuck that you forgot to keep being suspicious of him. Well played.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Goddamn first we lost Morgan and now Guybrush too. Although come to think of it I guess now we know who offed Morgan as well, or at least we can hazard a guess.

Playing as Elaine should be interesting, it will be nice to actually have her be more involved again instead of just being more of a set piece. Well that was more what she did in earlier games but hey :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Aces High posted:

Goddamn first we lost Morgan and now Guybrush too. Although come to think of it I guess now we know who offed Morgan as well, or at least we can hazard a guess.

Playing as Elaine should be interesting, it will be nice to actually have her be more involved again instead of just being more of a set piece. Well that was more what she did in earlier games but hey :v:

Although she was literally a set piece in 3, I think they did a pretty good job overall of showing that the reason Guybrush only rarely runs into Elane is because she's off having her own adventures in parallel. It's particularly true in 1 where she not only got herself free of LeChuck, she also replaced herself with two monkeys in a dress, somehow got her own bottle of root beer for the monkeys to use, and then even managed to get onto the roof of the church just so she could make a dramatic entrance.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Man. I was thinking that I'd just skip watching this one for now in order to not be slammed with another massive cliffhanger.

gently caress.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I know I said I'd have an update earlier in the week, it's happening tomorrow. I forgot about a family reunion last Sunday which ended up with getting home far too late. I'll have another update up Sunday or Monday.

There's still a fifth chapter, so there's still some hope that Guybrush can save the day...

For now, here's the 5th "I wonder what happens in Tales of Monkey Island."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2TLm_uzdCU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, so I'm pretty sure the Voodoo Lady had to tell LeChuck how to get all that out of the sponge.

Or maybe it just was his so it all came back to him.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Catching up on the videos (it's been a thoroughly lovely month) and just watched Murray's first scene. The sudden grin Guybrush gives is awesome.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tales Of Monkey Island - Rise of the Pirate God 01

http://youtu.be/BZgsuzwMvyk

Guybrush meets a few old friends and makes a couple of new ones. I won't spoil anything as it's a new chapter but in this episode there's some grog, some sword fighting and a sock. Where the hell has Winslow got to?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Glazius posted:

Okay, so I'm pretty sure the Voodoo Lady had to tell LeChuck how to get all that out of the sponge.

Or maybe it just was his so it all came back to him.

It's entirely possible he figured it out himself, he knows a lot about Voodoo in his own right.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The two coins on the eyes thing was originally a Greek tradition, something to pay the ferryman Charon to take the soul across the river Styx. Also, it's a nice touch that dead Guybrush's skeleton is visible through his jacket, since that's how they presented ghosts back in the first game, too.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tales Of Monkey Island - Rise of the Pirate God 02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCVK4xQKv-8

This episode is a little shorter than usual as I had to make several cuts. I managed to not only miss some, but I also made some in the wrong order then wrote them again where they should take place. But any way, I got there in the end and even managed to leave this episode with another shock at the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
That update felt pretty short, but it was the normal length. It's fairly interesting where we're at now.

• Locked thread