Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
drat, they both the Alesis and Roland sound pretty good and are cheap enough that I can get both. Thanks for the reccs.

I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
For reverb VSTs there's so many fantastic ones. Raum is a huge favourite of mine, going from basic to really spacey. There's also Soundtoys or Waves, and a bunch of others. I don't use VSTs much tho.

For outboard reverb (my favourite) there's so many good options. I love the old Alesis units (MIDI, Micro and Quadraverbs) and they're dirt cheap. They aren't going to be cutting edge, high end studio sound, but gently caress they sound amazing. I use my Midiverb a gently caress tonne with input cranked, output to tame and mix full wet, and use it to absolutely crush drums, and then blend it back in. Amazing.

For more hi-fi I go to my trusty Lexicon MX300. I got it for like AU$100 (like 30 US Cents) and it is wonderful. If you can get the MX400 or MX400XL even better. The algorithms are great, it's flexible and reliable. I use it on basically everything, and it's essential for me. I don't think I could mix without it, or an equivalent, honestly.

Other fun outboard items: Ibanez DM2000. It's a digital delay, with modulation. Also the digital is not amazing and that's part of the charm.

Even better the modulation is not strictly chorus, instead working as a tape delay would. It takes the dry signal, and speeds it up and down like ramping a tape. You adjust the delay and speed and depth and you can get flange, chorus, slapback and delay. Or turn the dry off and get a great wobble.

Buy cheap old gear. See how it is. A lot of stuff that was considered "the absolute worst" in production can be great as an effect. And they're dirt cheap. My Ibanez was thrown in as a freebie lol

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So I found the simplest solution to the RF noise problem I was having, just use the usb port on the mixer. Bam, no more noise.

fankey
Aug 31, 2001

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a solution to record live video ( from a webcam ) along with live timestamped automation events ( osc but could be translated to something else if necessary ). I'd then like to playback both the video ( ideally through a virtual webcam on a PC ) and automation keeping the synchronization between the two. The recording and playback systems don't have to be the same but obviously the formats need to be compatible. It seems like most DAWs will allow you to import video and then record automation on top of that but I haven't been able to track something down that records both at the same time.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Why not record a "sync clap" of you visibly pressing a button that records an osc event in a DAW while also recording the video elsewhere?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

fankey posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a solution to record live video ( from a webcam ) along with live timestamped automation events ( osc but could be translated to something else if necessary ). I'd then like to playback both the video ( ideally through a virtual webcam on a PC ) and automation keeping the synchronization between the two. The recording and playback systems don't have to be the same but obviously the formats need to be compatible. It seems like most DAWs will allow you to import video and then record automation on top of that but I haven't been able to track something down that records both at the same time.

OBS has some plugins that can allow it to react to midi triggers, with enough screwing around you can get your DAW to output MIDI to OBS and have OBS do with it pretty much whatever, so you can effectively let OBS do video/recording things fully automated from a DAW. It'll take some setting up though.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

how the hell do you set up asio4all? i open the settings for it in whatever DAW, check my H4 zoom as mic input, and have tried everything else for output - i've got realtek audio on this laptop - but there's just no sound even though it's registering an output on the visualizers.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I currently have a home recording studio that I am trying to convert to a Twitch streaming studio.

Currently I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo that I plug my microphone and guitar into. The Scarlett Solo is then plugged into my PC via USB. This all works great. I also use the headphone jacks on the Scarlett Solo to monitor my guitar and to listen to music from my PC.

To convert it to a streaming rig, I just moved the Scarlett Solo off my PC, and onto my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S20 (via USB type-A top type-C dongle). The plan is to stream using my phone, since the Scarlet just plugs right in, and it has good cameras. I have tested this and the sound is great and everything is awesome.

The only thing left is getting music from my PC to play through the headphones. I think I need a mixer of some sort to do this. To make matters more complicated, sometimes I also play piano, which is a USB piano that plugs into my macbook via USB, and then the audio comes out the 1/8" plug on the macbook.

So my mixer needs to have 4 inputs: one from my microphone, one from my PC audio, one for macbook audio, and one to get guitar monitoring from the Scarlett Solo (plugged into the phone). All these audio sources goes into the mixer, and then comes out my headphones. Also the mixer will have an output cable that connects it to the mic input of the Scarlett so that I can stream the Macbook audio and sometimes even PC audio, as well as microphone.

So basically I'm trying to mix audio in two directions. All input sources gets mixed into my headphones, and all output sources get mixed into the one mic input on the Scarlett Solo (plugged into the phone).

There one more detail that makes this complicated: sometimes, I want the audio coming out the PC to "cross over" to stream, but most of the time I do not. Sometimes I just want the audio from the PC to just play through the headphones, and not make it to the stream. Other times I do want it to go on stream.

I do have this piece of equipment: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-10...ps%2C137&sr=8-1

I bought it a decade ago for a different purpose, but I still have it, and it turns on and appears to work fine. Whats weird about it, is that for all inputs it takes them as two separate 1/4" (presumably mono) plugs. In order for me to use this at the very least I'd have to get a converter to convert stereo 1/8" to dual mono 1/4". On top of that the Behringer XEXYX 1002FX doesn't seem to have any switches/buttons on it to do the kind of switching I need. All it seems to have is knobs (which I really have no use for).

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Theres mixers specifically designed for livestreaming/podcasting.
Check these guys, they might have what you're looking for.
TC-Helicon

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
If you're using OBS you can pretty much just hook it up to any MIDI controller (including a virtual one running on your phone or w/e) and set that up with most of the functionality those dedicated streaming interfaces have, managing your various streams and mixes through OBS scenes is probably also the best practice for most scenarios, you just need an interface that has enough inputs.

From my personal experience RME interfaces are absolute powerhouses for streaming because you can use their submixes and loopbacks to create mixes which you can then present to OBS as audio inputs and then you just need to switch through scenes, it's a shame those things are so expensive though.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I posted this is another thread but I feel it’s relevant here:

…Well I’m thinking of doing a crowdfunder for a studio I'd let random people use and teach them the poo poo I know. Is that selfish or self-indulgent? Here's the pitch so far:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/duttyprofessorstudio

I'm genuinely interested if this is me being greedy or not. I couldn't afford it otherwise

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
How much would a decent set up even set me back seeing as I don’t have a desktop computer yet. I’m talking soundcard, decent mic, decent keyboard, a few sound toys. What I’m really interested in is software licenses for VSTs and the like, any recommendations for bargains or “must haves”?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm a behringer stan so i say spend 300 bucks on a UMC1820, a tiny bit on a mic*, no clue on the keyboard, and I'll let others comment on plugin suites because I have, uh, unconventional sources for my software. Focusrite also has excellent interfaces for the money if you want to avoid Uli's Trash Fire.

* My audio chain is a $19 Nady SM57 clone into a $100 tube preamp into a $200 comp/gate/eq into a $300 mixer into said $300 interface and I constantly get 'you sound like NPR guy' comments. If you're recording instruments you may need to get a bit deeper on the mic but I love my $3600-on-candles setup.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Is that selfish or self-indulgent?

My life's dream is to start a commune in the western US where I buy a lathe and a welder and a planer and a drill press and let people use it for free, because buying a $5k lathe and using it 3 hours a week offends me, but if it's being used 40 hours a week by a bunch of others when i'm busy, it's perfect. I say go with it!

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 7, 2022

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

My life's dream is to start a commune in the western US where I buy a lathe and a welder and a planer and a drill press and let people use it for free, because buying a $5k lathe and using it 3 hours a week offends me, but if it's being used 40 hours a week by a bunch of others when i'm busy, it's perfect. I say go with it!

You would absolutely love this place that opened in Philadelphia. It's makerspace warehouses with full electronics (they even provide basic parts for prototyping), woodworking and metal shops + rental rooms. It used to be a lot cheaper but $200 for unlimited access to all of that + classes it's something every community should aspire to have (edit: actually all communities should aspire to have a free makerspace with classes).

https://nextfab.com/

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 7, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

You would absolutely love this place that opened in Philadelphia. It's makerspace warehouses with full electronics (they even provide basic parts for prototyping), woodworking and metal shops + rental rooms. It used to be a lot cheaper but $200 for unlimited access to all of that + classes it's something every community should aspire to have.

https://nextfab.com/join/

There’s a really nice one of those in my area (Adam Savage even visited it once) that I was meaning to join before COVID happened

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Jonny 290 posted:

Thanks man the fundraiser is now live but I really don't know how to promote it

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/duttyprofessorstudio

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Not sure if this is a great place to put this, but I figure I'll shoot my shot:

I'm looking to get some basic hardware (or potentially software) for changing my voice over Discord and for live streams. Specifically this is to change or modify my voice for D&D and other tabletop RPGs.

I'm not sure what to get or how viable this is, but I want to dip my toes in and see what's available. I'm also not sure how much of a budget I should set aside for this, but let's say I'm willing to spend $300 to start and go from there.

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2018 as my primary computer, and the software options I've seen (Voxel and a few other free options) are sadly not working for me. Some of the more common options built specifically for Discord don't work on Mac hardware, which is why I'm turning to you guys to perhaps point me in the right direction or suggest things for me to get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i've used a Roland VT-3 plugged into my old macbook for this exact thing before and it worked pretty well. it functions as an external audio interface so you can't use the computer's built-in mic for it, but it accepts either XLR or 1/8" mics so a headset mic should work. i will say the i've started having compatibility issues with other interfaces in the last few discord updates, so i would recommend having a friend jump in a channel and make sure they can hear you at some point during the return window if you get one.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CaptainViolence posted:

i've used a Roland VT-3 plugged into my old macbook for this exact thing before and it worked pretty well. it functions as an external audio interface so you can't use the computer's built-in mic for it, but it accepts either XLR or 1/8" mics so a headset mic should work. i will say the i've started having compatibility issues with other interfaces in the last few discord updates, so i would recommend having a friend jump in a channel and make sure they can hear you at some point during the return window if you get one.

My current microphone is a cheap USB mic, I'm assuming I'd need to get a new mic as well?

I'm also currently looking at the VT-4 since the VT-3 is unavailable on Amazon. Is there anything else besides a compatible mic that I'd need to connect it to a macbook pro 2018?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Verisimilidude posted:

Not sure if this is a great place to put this, but I figure I'll shoot my shot:

I'm looking to get some basic hardware (or potentially software) for changing my voice over Discord and for live streams. Specifically this is to change or modify my voice for D&D and other tabletop RPGs.

I'm not sure what to get or how viable this is, but I want to dip my toes in and see what's available. I'm also not sure how much of a budget I should set aside for this, but let's say I'm willing to spend $300 to start and go from there.

I'm using a Macbook Pro 2018 as my primary computer, and the software options I've seen (Voxel and a few other free options) are sadly not working for me. Some of the more common options built specifically for Discord don't work on Mac hardware, which is why I'm turning to you guys to perhaps point me in the right direction or suggest things for me to get.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I hate to be the OBS evangelist guy but if you use OBS for streaming you can insert VST 2 plug-ins on the mic path, there's a bunch of free voice changer VST plug-ins out there, some of them even support mac os probably - https://hiphopmakers.com/best-free-voice-changer-vst-plugins

OBS can also output a virtual mic and cam so you can output it to any voip app.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I hate to be the OBS evangelist guy but if you use OBS for streaming you can insert VST 2 plug-ins on the mic path, there's a bunch of free voice changer VST plug-ins out there, some of them even support mac os probably - https://hiphopmakers.com/best-free-voice-changer-vst-plugins

that’s rad! Can it use AUs?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I actually ended up getting the Roland VT-4 and an AT2020 microphone but I'm running into some issues, not sure if anyone can help me out.

Basically, on Discord the audio is really bouncy, it goes up and down in volume. Also they can pick up the audio from my computer, which is weird because I have headphones on. My headphones are connected to the phones jack on the VT-4, could this be causing the issue?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
it seems OBS doesn't support AU, I'm really not a mac guy but some googling suggests that there's an apple provided app that lets you put AU on core audio streams - https://www.apple.com/apple-music/apple-digital-masters/ - you could probably use that and something like soundflower to put audio effects on your mic stream without needing OBS or anything else I guess? really not a mac guy

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Verisimilidude posted:

I actually ended up getting the Roland VT-4 and an AT2020 microphone but I'm running into some issues, not sure if anyone can help me out.

Basically, on Discord the audio is really bouncy, it goes up and down in volume. Also they can pick up the audio from my computer, which is weird because I have headphones on. My headphones are connected to the phones jack on the VT-4, could this be causing the issue?

to solve the second problem, make sure you select the vt-4 as your audio device for both output and input, and if that doesn't fix it then check the manual for how to turn off the USB return on the vt-4 itself. the first problem with discord cutting in and out a bunch is the compatibility issue i mentioned before. the only fix i've found so far is sending it through another virtual audio device (i use one called Loopback but i think you could do the same thing for free in OBS) before it gets to discord, and even that has seemed a little dodgy sometimes. if you find a better fix, i would love to know!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

CaptainViolence posted:

to solve the second problem, make sure you select the vt-4 as your audio device for both output and input, and if that doesn't fix it then check the manual for how to turn off the USB return on the vt-4 itself. the first problem with discord cutting in and out a bunch is the compatibility issue i mentioned before. the only fix i've found so far is sending it through another virtual audio device (i use one called Loopback but i think you could do the same thing for free in OBS) before it gets to discord, and even that has seemed a little dodgy sometimes. if you find a better fix, i would love to know!

I’ll check into your fix!! The only solution I’ve found for the discord situation is using the browser app as opposed to the Mac app, which apparently has issues dealing with this kind of hardware.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

I just discovered that when you record on the Tascam DP-24SD 24-Track Digital Portastudio and download the tracks to work on them on your laptop instead of doing mixdown in the machine that it appears to save every take you make so you can go back, download them and revisit parts any other machine would have recorded over.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

So, I went and bought my dream rack mount preamp/compressor units only to discover that running a trumpet through a $100, 20-year-old delay guitar pedal isn't the best way to get a natural reverb. Any suggestions for a sub-$500 rack-mount reverb unit?

Is rack mount a non negotiable? VST is easier and a lot of the pro tier hardware reverbs are in stomp box format these days.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I'm still suffering this computer audio through transmission problem. I've heard I can use soundflower to fix the issue, and I installed it, but I have no clue how to swap channels properly to prevent the audio from transmitting in the way the manual says it is. Does anyone here know how to use soundflower on mac? Or would some other application help me get this done? I'd be happy to throw some money your way if you can help me fix this problem!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

The newest stuff here is the small neck lamp to use the OP-1 at night in the dark, but the main thing is that I've had a week off between jobs and I finally have everything setup how I want it again and going through a cassette tape loop no less.

At the same time I'm forced to admit I have too much gear, very little skill, and I don't put enough time into this. When I do gently caress around with it all it's some of the most "fun" I have as an adult, though, and my kids seem to love twisting knobs.

I need to just devote 30-40 mins a day to this, again. And to guitar. And to writing. gently caress

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

massive spider posted:

Is rack mount a non negotiable? VST is easier and a lot of the pro tier hardware reverbs are in stomp box format these days.

I agree that VST and in the computer are easier but I play/compose for a bunch of instruments and am trying to build a "garbage in/garbage out" mentality. It's too easy to think that I can fix it in the computer so I am trying to get the best performance I can before I switch to producing/mixing in the box.

Edit: also I like playing with knobs.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I could use some advice on how someone more experienced would have all this set up, honestly. The way stuff is routed now has been a matter of adding things in weird ways. Right now, the KP3 is the aux send channel, and also returns to the board, so the inputs to the allen & heath board are:

OP-1
KP3
Electribe
Mother32
(Ipad)

The mother32 is controlled by itself and the beatstep, the beatstep does nothing else right now. The 0coast is connected to the axiom25. The recording loop on the board goes to cassette but the master outs go to a behringer USB interface and then come in to the PC (and Studio One) as discrete L/R. The nektar is connected directly to the PC and mostly setup to be happy with Studio One.

I don't think this is the worst thing in the world; I can record whatever I want into the PC and multitrack from there, or sometimes just ignore the PC entirely and gently caress around with making obnoxious walls of drone sound. But, I don't really know poo poo about any of this stuff, just started picking up one thing at a time as it amused me like 10 years ago and here we are now. If nothing else, the beatstep is really underused and I've never taken the time to really figure it out.

If someone who knows more than I do was going to set all this stuff up freshly, how would you wire it? Would you add anything additional (more channel mixer, etc)?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Awww gently caress off cmon. Why mixers gotta use quarter-inch jacks. I just wanna run all these 3.5 outputs into my headphones together.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pollyanna posted:

Awww gently caress off cmon. Why mixers gotta use quarter-inch jacks. I just wanna run all these 3.5 outputs into my headphones together.

If you’ve got 1200$ burning a hole in your pocket, Teenage Engineering has your back

https://teenage.engineering/products/tx-6

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:chloe: Uhh mmm boy I think I smell some 3.5 adapters in my future. Edit: I’m going to need a lot of these adapters and TRS cables aren’t I

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 27, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

I just discovered that when you record on the Tascam DP-24SD 24-Track Digital Portastudio and download the tracks to work on them on your laptop instead of doing mixdown in the machine that it appears to save every take you make so you can go back, download them and revisit parts any other machine would have recorded over.

Oh dang thats really nice, would you recommend a portastudio over a laptop? Ive drooled over portastudios for like 20 years now, but lappys feel like they have way more utility.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh dang thats really nice, would you recommend a portastudio over a laptop? Ive drooled over portastudios for like 20 years now, but lappys feel like they have way more utility.

I prefer recording on a computer (specifically a Mac), but I get the appeal of devices like those. The couple I did try worked well and even had a pretty decent microphone. So I’d say they’re useful, and if recording like that appeals to you, try one. They had a 4-track one for a while even, so you don’t necessarily have to go big to start.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Cool Ill keep that in mind.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

DreadUnknown posted:

Unfortunately, it's a "what works best for you" situation. I grew up recording on cassette tapes and even the mythical two-track reel-to-reel dad had in the basement and it feels natural to me- doing stuff on the computer only isn't awkward when I am doing orchestration or writing things out in MuseScore.

I've used both and I prefer to record to the Portastudio but I am unfocused and will easily use shortcuts or accept poor performances from myself + I am recording trumpet, clarinet, guitar, drums, xylophone, etc. so rather than be able to say "I'll cobble it together. Time to move on!" I am trying to force myself to get a good take.

If you can swing it, the 8-track Portastudio is amazing, super portable, super flexible, can run on batteries and you can export individual tracks. Use it to sketch out stuff or hang with other musicians and record and then bring it back and do production with a computer. It's only a couple hundred bucks and comes with onboard effects and phantom power. You can plug an instrument in or sing into the onboard mic, hit record and go.

Picture: my mind when faced with the limitless possibilities of recording In Reaper.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah thats kind of my main anxiety when I use DAWs, I have to basically just plow in and try to finish as fast as posssible. Like I know it takes me about 30min to finish a 4 minute song if I want to be a sassy showoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I learned the difference between balanced and unbalanced TRS cables :) :) :)