Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I'm sure they probably thought of that and worked it into the contract. They all probably get a share equal to the longest of any of the 3 splices. Sounds like the kind of thing fiends would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

DoctorTristan posted:

Each gets V's soul for a period equal to the duration of their respective splice. So the chaotic evil guy won't get him for very long, since the splice to the necromancer ended quite quickly. The other two get him for somewhere around 10-20 minutes (probably).

And Sabine will get V's soul for a few minutes because of her finder's fee.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

HKR posted:

Eventually they'll come in contact with a working gate/snarl, and twenty minutes is plenty for them to do what they want with it.

Unless they want to perform the same ritual that Xykon does, which would take weeks.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

DoctorTristan posted:

Each gets V's soul for a period equal to the duration of their respective splice. So the chaotic evil guy won't get him for very long, since the splice to the necromancer ended quite quickly. The other two get him for somewhere around 10-20 minutes (probably).

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure that the dark-skinned necromancer chick was the neutral evil one, wheras the world-conquering conjurer was lawful evil and the goofy sorcerer (who was ironically dressed like a stereotypical 'wizard') was chaotic evil.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Vicissitude posted:

I'm sure they probably thought of that and worked it into the contract. They all probably get a share equal to the longest of any of the 3 splices. Sounds like the kind of thing fiends would do.

They don't. Bottom of the first page here - they only get his soul for as long as their particular splice lasted.

Liberal_L33t posted:

Just for the record, I'm pretty sure that the dark-skinned necromancer chick was the neutral evil one, wheras the world-conquering conjurer was lawful evil and the goofy sorcerer (who was ironically dressed like a stereotypical 'wizard') was chaotic evil.

Quite possibly. I assumed the necromancer was CE because she was colour-coded to match the purple fiend, and I assumed he was the CE one based largely on the order of the lineup at their first appearance. I always felt that the distinction between NE and CE was pretty sketchy anyway.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

IMJack posted:

And Sabine will get V's soul for a few minutes because of her finder's fee.
It wouldn't shock me one bit if Sabine was a key figure at the point V gets turned for a bit. I get the feeling that they will require an agent to pull V's strings and Sabine still seems more likely to me for filling that role than the imp.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
But in that case, Sabine would be just as likely to use V to kill Haley as she is to follow orders.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

They didn't mention the possibility of leasing out control of his soul to a third party, so I very much doubt that they can without the agreement being void and them suffering some pretty hefty backlash.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

They didn't mention the possibility of leasing out control of his soul to a third party, so I very much doubt that they can without the agreement being void and them suffering some pretty hefty backlash.

My understanding of the deal was that he was agreeing to basically do exactly what the souls spliced to him were doing: at some point in the indeterminate future, they would take his soul for about twenty minutes, and let someone else use it as they will.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Oh, waffleimages. I miss you already.

Seven weeks? Has it been 45 weeks since the original death sentence?

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
Haley wouldn't sabotage the mission to win 10 gold. She'll simply lose the bet and then never pay her debt, just like every other time since this comic started.

[edit] altho I was hoping for a quick jaunt into the underworld to see the three fiends for comic #666 :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Seven weeks? Has it been 45 weeks since the original death sentence?

It was before the end of this year, not within the next year.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MikeJF posted:

It was before the end of this year, not within the next year.

In comic year, so I think he's just demonstrating how much time has passed through all these strips.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I love O'Chul's line. I'm interested in how belkar will finally go as well. Under a mountain of goblins? Or will he be another victim of xylon to demonstrate again how powerful he is.

He's beaten 2 of the PC's at this point without much effort

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So how hard will it be for them to beat Xykon? Would they have to surprise him alone? Would they stand a chance in hell against Xykon, Redcloak and the MitD? I mean a epic level sorcerer lich, an almost epic evil cleric and someone with access to wishes?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
It's looking likely that the MitD will switch sides during the final battle.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Even Mordenkainen's Disjunction isn't a sure bet. I haven't played 3.5 in over a year, but I believe each item gets a Will save equal to the item's save or the owner's save, whichever is higher. Xykon's got to have a good will save.

Touch attacks still are probably the best way to go. I'm sure he's probably got a boost there, but the Lich +5 Natural Armor doesn't help him at all.

Or, they'll simply find the McGuffin and beat him.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

And O-Chul continues his trend of being inordinately badass and noble at the same time. Even though I know it's unlikely, I hope that O-Chul goes with the group on their quest to destroy Xykon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If Xykon goes, my money is on Roy throwing him into the Snarl.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

And O-Chul continues his trend of being inordinately badass and noble at the same time. Even though I know it's unlikely, I hope that O-Chul goes with the group on their quest to destroy Xykon.

Doing so would take away his bad rear end paladin powers, wouldn't it? As for Xykon, he's not all that strong. He almost got destroyed by Soon's ghost after all. V had a pretty good run at him too, despite what Xykon himself might think. His real strength at this point is plot armor, I don't see him kicking off until the end of the story.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cliff Racer posted:

Doing so would take away his bad rear end paladin powers, wouldn't it?

Unless O-Chul is secretly a 10th level Gray Guard, out of Complete Scoundrel, it would. Seeing as, among other things, he'd need to be 15th level at least, I wouldn't bet on it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Cliff Racer posted:

As for Xykon, he's not all that strong. He almost got destroyed by Soon's ghost after all.

Cause, you know, that wasn't the ghost of an Epic level Paladin who sealed the gate in the first place and specifically set it up so he could come back to fight whatever threatened the gate. Nope, just some ghost.

Soon's Ghost was both 1) A ghost and immune to most of Xykons usual tricks (Evocations out the wazoo and Energy Drain until they fall over) and 2) A class who specializes in fighting evil and undead. That was the most stacked fight against him that Xykon has encountered since fighting the duid while he was still human and getting shut down by a magical virus

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 30, 2009

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Roy did manage to hit and damage Xykon before, though there is the problem of his phenomenal epic casting prowess, magic items, 20-odd d12 worth of HP, and his legion of minions dead or otherwise. The only question is if they'll fight it out at both gates or just one.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

LightWarden posted:

Roy did manage to hit and damage Xykon before, though there is the problem of his phenomenal epic casting prowess, magic items, 20-odd d12 worth of HP, and his legion of minions dead or otherwise. The only question is if they'll fight it out at both gates or just one.

He did even better when he was mad enough.

I reckon the Order have a few things going in their favour still. It'll take Xykon a while to find his phylactery and start moving, so they should be able to get to the gate first and set up an ambush. I think that if MiTD stays out of the fight, and they can corner them in a confined space where Xykon and Goth chick can't fly up out of melee range, and if Roy's grandfather's feat can disrupt Xykon's casting well enough, then they may be in with a fair shot.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

DoctorTristan posted:

I like that V ended that battle paralyzed as well.

line number
Feb 14, 2002

DoctorTristan posted:

I effin LOVE the bouncing crown.

so perfect

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Haha, Tiamat. Such a lame joke, but it got a laugh out of me all the same.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I would imagine that is one pissed off dragon-god, all things considered.

Enderwastaken
Oct 11, 2007

by angerbot
So V's headband it isn't a fixed ring, but a scrunchie? Huh.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Enderwastaken posted:

So V's headband it isn't a fixed ring, but a scrunchie? Huh.

I think it's a chain, but I could be wrong. (I too was surprised it was flexible.)

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I hope they washed that cloak before putting it back on

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FredMSloniker posted:

I think it's a chain, but I could be wrong. (I too was surprised it was flexible.)

Real elvish rope!

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I personally would have been disappointed if there wasn't at least a reference to an extremely pissed of Tiamat.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Maldraedior posted:

I hope they washed that cloak before putting it back on

Apparently the Heal spell also cleans and repairs clothing. Who knew?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Strontosaurus posted:

Apparently the Heal spell also cleans and repairs clothing. Who knew?

It always has in OOTS.

As to the hair thing, maybe it expands and contracts at V's desire, though that's kind of a useful property to waste on a scrunchie.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

it's definately a ring in the one where V got polymorphed into a lizard: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
I think I may have missed something . . . why is it, exactly, that Tiamat is pissed off? (Tiamat is a Western God in this pantheon, is she not?)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pyre_89 posted:

I think I may have missed something . . . why is it, exactly, that Tiamat is pissed off? (Tiamat is a Western God in this pantheon, is she not?)

Tiamat is, specifically, the god of evil dragons. Such as black dragons.

V wiped out a sizable fraction of Tiamat's flock, and the three fiends are the ones who empowered V to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

ConfusedUs posted:

Tiamat is, specifically, the god of evil dragons. Such as black dragons.

V wiped out a sizable fraction of Tiamat's flock, and the three fiends are the ones who empowered V to do so.

Ooooooh...that's gonna be a PR disaster.

Nice wrap-up, though I'm concerned that V's soulbind secret will get out and be really ugly.