Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I like this video here. She explains everything quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

I also started out knitting English style, then moved to continental after about a year. It was awkward at first, especially with purling, but I think I had a bit of an advantage because I started out with crochet before I was knitting, and continental style is much closer to how crochet works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Purling in Continental definitely takes some getting used to. I recommend just doing garter stitch until you are comfortable with holding the yarn in your left hand, then work on purls. There are many different ways to do purls in continental knitting, so try variations on hand/yarn positioning until you find one that is kind of comfortable.

For "normal" purls, I end up sticking my index finger straight out just below the needle on the right side, and using it to bring the yarn up and around the needle.

But most of the time I just do a kind of backwards purl, where I can rest the yarn over my index finger (between index and middle finger) just like I do when knitting, but with the working bit of the yarn slipped in front. Then I use the right hand needle to push the yarn down and through the stitch. It makes the knit stitches on the front twisted, so I just knit them through the back loop, and voila. So much easier.

I also don't bother with any of that wrapping the yarn around my pinky or whatever. It always gets too tight, or tangles, or falls out and I have to drop the right-hand needle to try to get it back in place, because I can't seem to do that sweeping loop-ti-loop with my left hand. Holding it between my index and middle finger is enough to give me consistent tension.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah I had a hard time with purling because even after I could do it consistently, it would hurt my finger after a while if it was a long purl row or ribbing, so I started doing it like this (pardon the lovely phone pictures).

Rather than pivoting my whole left index finger downward, I hook my finger and catch the yarn on my fingertip, then I just tilt slightly to complete the stitch and pull it through. However there's also the Norwegian purl, which keeps the yarn in the back, but you do have to have the yarn in your left hand or the motions are sort of pointless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DkwcejowiI

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Ah, here is a video of how I purl, though I don't have my index finger sticking up like the lady in the video. It's awesome for doing ribbing. Maybe I'll try to take a video of that.

http://youtu.be/INSdE2UD9GY

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Since I learned to crochet before I learned to knit, I picked up the habit of using my right index finger (or thumb depending on the stitch) to hold the yarn in place as I work the stitch. I also do that thing Safari Disco Lion described--using my left index finger to wrap the yarn around the working needle.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Ah, here is a video of how I purl, though I don't have my index finger sticking up like the lady in the video. It's awesome for doing ribbing. Maybe I'll try to take a video of that.

http://youtu.be/INSdE2UD9GY

Holy moly, I just watched that video and now I think I've been wrapping the yarn backwards when purling. I've never noticed anything weird, it looks fine and when I go back for the next round/row I don't have any issues. So does it matter?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

If it doesn't look like it affects anything, probably not.

Confession: i thought knit through back loop was a knit stitch the first 10 years I knit. Woops.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

a friendly penguin posted:

Holy moly, I just watched that video and now I think I've been wrapping the yarn backwards when purling. I've never noticed anything weird, it looks fine and when I go back for the next round/row I don't have any issues. So does it matter?

That is a backwards purl (I. E. She wraps the yarn the opposite way it is wrapped in a "normal" purl stitch), so if you're doing it the way in the video, and still knitting through the front loop on the reverse knit stitches, then you are making twisted knit stitches.

If you go around the opposite way, that is the usual way, and you knit through the front loop on the reverse to make a normal stitch, or through the back to make a twisted knit stitch.

I find the backwards purl significantly faster and less painful, and knitting through the back loop is basically the same as knitting through the front loop, unless you are doing lots of increases and decreases, which do require a little bit more effort in this method, so I use it most of the time.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I like this video here. She explains everything quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRLFl36tDY

This video is how I knit- I use that middle finger to position things like she explains. I purl like this though:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/purl-stitch-close-up

only I bring my right needle up behind the left when completing the stitch instead of in front like she shows in this video.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

That is a backwards purl (I. E. She wraps the yarn the opposite way it is wrapped in a "normal" purl stitch), so if you're doing it the way in the video, and still knitting through the front loop on the reverse knit stitches, then you are making twisted knit stitches.

If you go around the opposite way, that is the usual way, and you knit through the front loop on the reverse to make a normal stitch, or through the back to make a twisted knit stitch.

Thank you for explaining. I understand now. And good to know. I mean, I did just learn through books and videos, so it was very possible that I was doing crazy things without knowing.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I struggled a lot with purls when I learned to do Continental as well. I dunno how to explain it exactly, but it kind of clicked for me when I learned to use my left thumb to push the yarn down in between the needles to do the purl.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I finished something! :D

This is the Monica Shawl pattern that I found on Ravelry, but with beads instead of nupps, like a few of the other knitters have done. This shawl traveled with me to New Zealand and back, and I did spend a fair bit of time threading beads onto the stitches in a moving four-wheel-drive going 100 kph on crazy mountain roads while we were there. The yarn I got at Sheepfest this past May and I can't remember what the brand is or anything else, but the color is amazing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Oh, that's so pretty! I love the bead colour you went with, it looks great with that yarn.

Poppet
May 13, 2003
I had a very productive school year! Hats for babies/preemies, to be donated tomorrow.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Those are awesome! I'm really enjoying the variety in colors and patterns.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
That is an awesome shawl!! So jealous.

I finished a pair of standard ankle socks

and am working on a pair of Hermione's Everyday Socks.

Also almost everyday I work a little on the Beekeeper's Quilt on the bus, I think I'm up to 70-80 puffs since I started in Feb.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Halfway done on the first sock ^^^
I messed up the eye of the partridge heel on some of the rows but oh well the socks are for me and it's hard to tell anyways

I should really stop buying variegated yarn :sigh: They never turn out as well as I hope they would
Here is the original skein

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Not too crazy about the color scheme, but those look like some good cozy socks. The heel looks great, too! I usually don't do slip-stitch heels because they're a pain and I think they make the socks look weird, but that one looks pretty nice.

Right now I'm working on some boot socks on us6 needles and it's so nice to make a sock so quickly. :allears: I'm using a modified version of this pattern, except I'm making mine toe-up with a fleegle heel. I've kind of fallen in love with fleegle heels because they're so easy to do (when I remember how to do them and don't have to rip back several inches of knitting). I might wear these all the time when they're done, even if it's the middle of summer.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

jomiel posted:

I should really stop buying variegated yarn :sigh:

I hear you :hf:

I always wanted a zauberball and recently there was a shop with 40% off everything. I bought one, I'm now looking at it wondering what the hell am I going to do with it.

Although sometimes variegated yarn works out:

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 3, 2014

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

jomiel posted:

I messed up the eye of the partridge heel on some of the rows but oh well the socks are for me and it's hard to tell anyways

I should really stop buying variegated yarn :sigh: They never turn out as well as I hope they would

I think they look great!

i will take any unloved variegated sock yarn and give it a good home

quote:

Although sometimes variegated yarn works out:

Ooooh, nice!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

jomiel posted:

I love Eye of Partridge heels! So pretty.

And I agree with you on varigated yarn - at least, when it comes to anything BUT socks. For me, when it comes to socks, apparently good taste goes right out the window. I'm making some right now that are pooling in a rather fetching way:

(Believe it or not, the colors in that picture are actually rather subdued compared to the real thing)

But yeah, I see people making shawls or ugh, sweaters out of insane multi colored yarn with three inch color sections and I'm like, what are you doing. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Haha yah shawls or sweaters in variegated is horrifying. I like it when people can pool repeats in interesting ways though.

I've been queuing sock patterns that work better with variegated yarn and also maybe pair it with a gray or something to make stripes.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

jomiel posted:

I like that yarn but I know exactly what you mean. I've never actually finished a pair of socks because every time I've tried with variegated and every time I've realized midway through that they look weird cuz of the yarn so I move on quickly. I don't know how it works exactly but I somehow have the attention span for lacework but not the attention span to finish a pair of socks.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Knitgoons, I need help/inspiration:

I bought a shitload of Lopi on craigslist for $20 and have no idea what to do with it. Its all chunky, and im not much of a scarf person. I was thinking maybe doing a blanket, but all of these are colors I'd actually wear so thats good. The only thing is I'm not a scarf guy so thats out.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

You could easily do a sweater if you mix a few colors like the dark grey and the white and maybe the light blue.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Funny enough I just ran into a guy at work today whom I started a conversation about knitting with (the one advantage of working a craft store), and he said he had a real nice pattern for a fair isle sweater using Lopi that he was going to email me. I can repost it if he actually remembers and sends it to me. :)

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Graduated stripes are another good option for tying smaller amounts of color into a larger project. Reflected Lines and Navona are good examples, and it's easy to apply that kind of horizontal striping to just about any pattern.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
I have a (probably stupid) question related to circular knitting.

If I am knitting in the round on circulars and I wanted everything to come out as garter (all knit), I would actually alternate knitting one round and purling one round. If I wanted stockinette, I would actually knit all the row, but it would come out as if I had knit a round and purled a round.

I finally figured out how to do the magic circle knit tonight. However, there is a point where my pattern calls for 3 rows of garter (just knit rows). With the magic loop, if I knit 3 rounds, will they come out as garter (like flat knitting) or will I get stockinette (like knitting in the round with circulars)?

Sorry about the crappy explanation. I hope that made sense.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

laertes22 posted:

I have a (probably stupid) question related to circular knitting.

If I am knitting in the round on circulars and I wanted everything to come out as garter (all knit), I would actually alternate knitting one round and purling one round. If I wanted stockinette, I would actually knit all the row, but it would come out as if I had knit a round and purled a round.

I finally figured out how to do the magic circle knit tonight. However, there is a point where my pattern calls for 3 rows of garter (just knit rows). With the magic loop, if I knit 3 rounds, will they come out as garter (like flat knitting) or will I get stockinette (like knitting in the round with circulars)?

Sorry about the crappy explanation. I hope that made sense.

Magic loop should work just like circulars or knitting in the round on DPN's. So for your 3 rows of garter stitch, you'd want to purl one full round, knit the next round, and purl the third round.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
In stockinette, you knit the knits and purl the purls. In garter you knit the purls and purl the knits.

So if you're doing stockinette in the round, and it's knit side out, you just always knit because you're always working on knit stitches.

And if you're doing garter in the round, if the previous row was a knit, you purl it. And then the next row you have all purl stitches so you knit.

That's how I think of it, anyway.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Dearest goons, I have a request. I would really like to knit an elephant for my grandfather for his birthday (its in september, so maybe I can make a whole family of elephants? Lets push it...). I found a pattern I REALLY LIKE, but its a old pattern out of a newspaper (magazine?) and I can't follow the pattern at all. I can start it, and then a leg appears? And I'm supposed to cast off? What am I doing.

So I ask you kind, smart goons. If any of you would be able to maybe explain what things are missing from the pattern that wouldn't be obvious? Or perhaps if you know of an elephant pattern that is extremely similar to this...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/38394790

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

What it looks like is you are making all those pieces. Then, once you're done, they should be sewn together and that's what creates the legs and so on. If you look at the 'to make up' section, the fact you need 2 backs and 1 underneath sounds like it's all assembled together after knitting--you'll sew each back to the other and the underneath piece. Then add your tucks, tail, ears.

The little blanket is added at the end.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Very old patterns are usually advanced, not beginner stuff, because so much has changed and they assume you know things that aren't common knowledge today. You're working uphill the whole way.

Unless your grandpa had THIS EXACT ELEPHANT when he was six and he's super married to it, I would find a modern pattern. They're clearer to start with plus a lot more help is available. There are a bunch of options even if you don't want a cartoony/cutesy one.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elephant-4
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elephants-3-sizes-and-woolly-woolly-mammoth
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elephant-27
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elephant-10
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elephant-noahs-ark
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-stitch-elephant

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elephant-pattern - my favorite and it should be easy

For the rug, you would just knit a rectangle and slap it on.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
FelicityGS:
Oh. Duh! I don't know how I missed that the back was in two parts. Thanks for the clarification.

Anne Whateley:
I would rather not do a convoluted pattern if a better one exists that will get me the same or similar results. Somehow on my cursory search through ravelry I only came across one or two realistic elephants and felt I had to do this one, but look at all these great elephant patterns that I would gladly do instead!

Thank you goons!

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Haha when I was almost done with my first sock I realized that I did the eye of partridge heel inside out :downs:

The correct heel

I'm already almost done with the second sock though and the socks are just for me so oh well!!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

jomiel posted:

Haha when I was almost done with my first sock I realized that I did the eye of partridge heel inside out :downs:

The correct heel

I'm already almost done with the second sock though and the socks are just for me so oh well!!

Those are some beautiful socks! I noticed you used metal DPNs. Did you have any issue with the needles slipping off? I love metal needles so much more than wood or bamboo, but I am terrified that the stitches will come off the needle in transit or by accident (and I cannot for the life of my fix stitches once they come off the needle, so I'd have to start over).

I made my first sock a couple months ago (only did a single one, because reasons). Now I'm about to start my first complete pair, and considering doing them magic loop style on metal circulars (since I just finally figured out magic loop last night).

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Yeah sometimes if I'm not careful I might push the needles out but that's pretty rare. You can get needle holder caps to go over the ends if you want to tote your project around. I used some over the stitches held while I was working on the heel. Or you can just loop rubber bands at the ends instead of buying something.

Sock knitting is awesome and the feel of knitted socks on feet is the best!! Dooo ittt

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
And fixing dropped stitches or mistakes will come in time! I used to be not able to do it either, but I've gotten better. Now I just concentrate on sticking the yarn on the needle, and fix where the loops align on the next pass when I knit it back up. Try to give yourself a few min to look at your knitting and try to fix it before you give up :)

I'm still bad at fixing yarn overs that I'm knitted normally instead of through the back loop...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
That reversed eye of partridge heel is great! :)

Metal two-at-a-time magic loop socks are the best, do the socks, doooo eeet.

Dropping stitches:

I have a tiny crochet hook I use to ladder them back up.

If they are in a place that's impossible to fix (I have found stitches I dropped before turning the heel when I'm well into the cuff-- Lorna's Laces is sticky yarn) I just tie them to their neighbor and wash my hands of it.

(That goes for larger items too. Sometimes I am much too lazy for my own good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

You can buy a tiny rug latch hook too--a knitting convention I went to included them in the goody bags and though I don't often use it sometimes when I'm feeling lazy it just makes everything so much easier.