Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Bongo Bill posted:

Mobile versions of 5 and 6 are identical to the DS versions. 1 and 2 on mobile are the best versions available, mobile 3 is basically the same as SNES version except it has an excellent new translation but the enemies aren't animated.

Is the NES version of 1 worth playing for the whole historical factor or should I just jump straight to the mobile version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do you love grinding the same enemy for an hour and then grind some more for upgrades? That is the start of the game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ROFL Octopus posted:

Is the NES version of 1 worth playing for the whole historical factor or should I just jump straight to the mobile version?

IMO yes, but only in an emulator so you can boost the speed through grinding and play the game in a few hours. It's neat to see the genre initiators.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Any remake will give you the same historical context, but in much less time. The original version's incredibly shallow EXP and gold curves are not the part that is interesting to experience.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I'm playing 1 on my hacked NES mini right now and I can confirm its a bit painful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would say its more interesting to revisit the original warts and all because remakes kind of remove what make the game interesting in the first place. Like the best remake of DQ1 would make me just thinking "I'd rather be playing DQ4,5,6,7,8 or 9".

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bongo Bill posted:

Mobile versions of 5 and 6 are identical to the DS versions. 1 and 2 on mobile are the best versions available, mobile 3 is basically the same as SNES version except it has an excellent new translation but the enemies aren't animated.

6 has some slight balance changes in the mobile version, like Terry being buffed, and slight modifications for classes.

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.
I finished the first one on mobile recently and really enjoyed it. It's such a simplistic game that I don't think I would sit down and play it otherwise. It was perfect in bite size pieces: open it at lunch or in a waiting room or whatever, grind a little XP, quick save, and continue whatever I was doing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In Training posted:

IMO yes, but only in an emulator so you can boost the speed through grinding and play the game in a few hours. It's neat to see the genre initiators.

That's what I did and it only took like 4 hours to get through. It's a neat game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Allarion posted:

6 has some slight balance changes in the mobile version, like Terry being buffed, and slight modifications for classes.

They buffed Terry? The dude that comes with good stats and as a Gladiator out of the gate?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Last Celebration posted:

They buffed Terry? The dude that comes with good stats and as a Gladiator out of the gate?

Apparently they gave him some additional base vocations learned so he's not so slow to build up.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Last Celebration posted:

The guy who's woefully behind the rest of your party unless you are avoiding as many fights as possible, yes.

Getting him in the SFC version was only good for the Thunder Sword because he wasn't anywhere near as developed as the rest of my party.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
On my first play though he was pretty behind, but once you actually know where to go you'll fight way less enemies so he'll actually be on par with your guys. Which isn't outstanding still, but since 6 loves to throw OP stuff at you it's still giving you a dude with Roundhouse Kick, Falcon Slash and Knuckle Sandwich.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finished dq5 last night. I mostly looked the story despite it being depressing as gently caress, but the last boss/ending were kind of a wet fart after dq4. I kinda want to do another play through with Debora but I feel little motivation when I have plenty of other RPGs on my list, and I kinda need a break from DQ games after I beat one anyway.

Do you even need the ~•~legendary hero~•~ in your party to win the game? He barely did any actual damage, mostly kabuffed and insulatled everyone else while my golem tossed back paxa punches and focused to hit the boss for 500 damage.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I had Parry on Multiheal duty, but yeah, it's kind of a deliberate thing that the Zenithian armaments aren't as strong as in their heyday, and that the legendary hero is barely ten years old. But yeah, you bring Parry and Madchen everywhere like a good dad so it hardly matters anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think you CAN be a deadbeat dad and just leave them at Patty's and go out for cigarettes, I mostly only had my son with me and kept the wife and daughter in the wagon at the end unless they needed to swap in to cast Oomph. I just never tried it, and it seemed pretty funny that they went to all these lengths to tell you how essential and powerful the Legendary Hero is the whole game, only for him to be on support for the actual ultimate battle while you pummel this utter wuss of a Dark Lord.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Are any of the phone ports decent? I haven't played a DQ game since 4 and was feeling nostalgic. Is 5 any good on mobile? Also is 5 a good place to jump back in?

Nodelphi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 18, 2017

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

Nodelphi posted:

Are any of the phone ports decent? I haven't played a DQ game since 4 and was feeling nostalgic. Is 5 any good on mobile? Also is 5 a good place to jump back in?

Yes to all of these.

5 mobile is pretty much identical to 5 DS so go nuts.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
As I understand it, the best version of 5 is supposedly the fan-translated PS2 port, due to having a huge graphical upgrade that didn't get brought to DS/Phone, but other than that, Phone is always the best option for any of the DS ports.

Assuming you're willing to put up with crappy Phone controls, obviously.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Supremezero posted:

As I understand it, the best version of 5 is supposedly the fan-translated PS2 port, due to having a huge graphical upgrade that didn't get brought to DS/Phone, but other than that, Phone is always the best option for any of the DS ports.

Assuming you're willing to put up with crappy Phone controls, obviously.

PS2 doesn't have Debora, automatically disqualifying it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

in dq8 my main character is working on the unarmed skill tree but it doesn't seem to be paying off. should i stop and switch to something else or does it become really powerfull if i stick it out?
i just got the +20 damage while bare handed upgrade

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Only useful thing about fisticuffs is that thing that makesdefend block more damage, and thin air.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Fisticuffs blows except for thin air which you don't need for hero, and defending champion which isn't really needed until post game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Balls. What should i switch to?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Swords or spears, and courage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Avalerion posted:

Swords or spears, and courage.

Ok. I got plenty courage at least.

I put a bow on angelo - good choice?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yup, bow's the go to on him it seems. Gives him something useful to do when not on heal bot duty.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nodelphi posted:

4-6 are nearly identical to the DS versions. They're better than playing on DS imo because it's more convenient to quick save and whip out your phone at another time to continue playing, but the drawback is that there's no controller support so you're stuck using the lovely touch controls to walk around and that can be annoying for the rare times when you need precision movement.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
4 is straight up better than the DS version because in addition to party chat I'm pretty drat sure at this point that they did a new MIDI soundtrack for it, which sounds super good coming through headphones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Am I missing something by only using party chat when I get stuck somewhere?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Len posted:

Am I missing something by only using party chat when I get stuck somewhere?

Depends on the game. 7 only has it for each area/plot triggers and some random bits, same with 8. 4 is halfway between that and 5/6, which go all the gently caress in and give at least half your non-monster members a line for every NPC you talk to, and it's the only time stuff like Madchen inheriting the Hero's ability to tame monsters comes up. And even in 7/8 it's cool to hear your party talk about the new places/events since they hardly ever get dialogue after they officially join, especially the great ones like Maribel/Yangus.

Basically just talk to them if you wish they talked more, I guess.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Should I be looking up alchemy recipes or just throwing whatever I have into the pot?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

FYI for anyone still looking for DS copies of IV and V, Videogamesplus.ca has new copies of both for 40 Canadian bucks. No idea how shipping to America is, etc., but I've been ordering from them to Britain for more than a decade and never had a problem. VI doesn't seem to be available there, but it's pretty available on UK Ebay for 25 quid or so ($30-ish).

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 20, 2017

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Unmature posted:

Should I be looking up alchemy recipes or just throwing whatever I have into the pot?

Honestly I suggest at least looking at one of the Alchemy guides on Gamefaqs, you can do a lot by tossing things into the pot, but some recipes make worthless junk, like Dragon Scales make two very good pieces of equipment, and two pieces of equipment you threw away three cities ago. If you cook two very expensive cheeses they turn into a regular cheese instead, that sort of thing. You can accidentally re-curse equipment if you get sloppy. Magic Beast Hides make either one of the most important endgame items, or leather armour.

Save a lot, anyways.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

YggiDee posted:

Honestly I suggest at least looking at one of the Alchemy guides on Gamefaqs, you can do a lot by tossing things into the pot, but some recipes make worthless junk, like Dragon Scales make two very good pieces of equipment, and two pieces of equipment you threw away three cities ago. If you cook two very expensive cheeses they turn into a regular cheese instead, that sort of thing. You can accidentally re-curse equipment if you get sloppy. Magic Beast Hides make either one of the most important endgame items, or leather armour.

Save a lot, anyways.

The main, obvious difference being "anything you make with one Dragon Scale is crap, anything you make with two Dragon Scales is way better" (or in other words: wait till you get the third alchemy ingredient slot).

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can someone remind me if DQ9's a good game to play in a wifi-less world

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone remind me if DQ9's a good game to play in a wifi-less world

yes unless you lament the loss of an extremely grindy post-game

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is there a post-game that isn't grindy though?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any recommended order/checklist for VIII post game stuff? Game wants me to go to the dragon altar so guess I should go do that first, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Avalerion posted:

Any recommended order/checklist for VIII post game stuff? Game wants me to go to the dragon altar so guess I should go do that first, right?

Yes, that's several orders of magnitude easier than the new post-game dungeon, not to mention it has to be at least partially completed to even access the new one (assuming you're playing the 3ds version)