Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
holy poo poo nightchill was an eldergod???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

holy poo poo nightchill was an eldergod???

[MoI] Yep, she is mentioned very early on in the series as the "sister of cold nights", and that's why Kallor says something to the effect of "Nightchill? oh how original :rolleyes: "

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Iskar Jarak, Bird That Steals, sits astride a black horse And looks to command once more
(From the poem at the start of TTH chapter 14)
I really hope this is implying what I think it's implying!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

cptn_dr posted:

Iskar Jarak, Bird That Steals, sits astride a black horse And looks to command once more
(From the poem at the start of TTH chapter 14)
I really hope this is implying what I think it's implying!

Sorry but it's not the mule.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tommofork posted:

My first thought when I read this was Foundation.

I should probably reread Malazan again

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Tommofork posted:

That would have been the next best option.

But it was wonderful to see Whiskeyjack again, however briefly. I have no doubts I'll be seeing him again...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
At the end of the series, I liked when Whiskeyjack makes Toc a Bridgeburner after all the poo poo he had been through

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mustang posted:

At the end of the series, I liked when Whiskeyjack makes Toc a Bridgeburner after all the poo poo he had been through

Same. [TCG] It was one of the most heartwarming moments of TCG for me, right up there with Bent the dog "protecting" Gesler's corpse from Hood.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm nearly at the end of my reread of the basic series and I'm so sick of Eriksen fellating his own characters that I might not finish.

I'm sure in the first few books his characters actually did things that were amazing, rather than doing very little but being told how amazing they are on every other page (Trull, the Imass, Malazans, Marines, Tavore, Rake, Nimander, Fiddler...)

Tavore annoys me the most because every time she appears someone observes how unremarkable she is, and how it's surprising they have all come so far, but then she offers a pregnant woman a chair and suddenly 'always she has the capacity to surprise us with her insight, Masan Gilani's bared breasts swelled his admiration for the Adjunct...'

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I never really got the admiration for Trull but the Malazans (and Fiddler) are definitely badass.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

acumen posted:

I never really got the admiration for Trull but the Malazans (and Fiddler) are definitely badass.

It's when characters that barely know them stop in their tracks to talk about how remarkable and special they are, and how they're "the best of us" that gets to me. Because it keeps happening. Some of them make sense in terms of worship & Ascendancy but that doesn't make it any more fun to read.

Karsa (who I hate) is along the same lines eventually (via Samar Dev's tiresome infatuation) but there's usually enough actual action to prop him up.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

acumen posted:

I never really got the admiration for Trull

Wait. What???

I mean... I could stand with you guys on some of these points but TRULL?

[MT->RG] Trull is the only one of his brothers with the balls to stand up to Rhulad the Tyrant, he fought Icarium to drat near a standstill until his weapon fell apart in his hands, and he might have been the most sympathetic and caring character in the whole loving series. I loving cried when he was killed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fenrir posted:

Wait. What???

I mean... I could stand with you guys on some of these points but TRULL?

[MT->RG] Trull is the only one of his brothers with the balls to stand up to Rhulad the Tyrant, he fought Icarium to drat near a standstill until his weapon fell apart in his hands, and he might have been the most sympathetic and caring character in the whole loving series. I loving cried when he was killed.

Hedge has a whole section where he falls in love with trull despite knowing him for 5 minutes because of course trull is just that amazing a guy. So compassionate, so brave...

Also the literal falling in love that happens in an even shorter time.

It's over the top, but early enough in the series it's not too annoying.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, I can't blame them. I fell in love with Trull.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Holy gently caress Anomander just straight up decapitated Hood.
I've been finding TtH kinda slow and comparatively a little lacklustre, but book 4 has been amazing so far, with some of the best writing in the whole series. I've got to get up at 5.30 for work, but I don't know if I'll be able to go to sleep til I'm finished.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly think all that philosophy of the ox is there to lull you into a false sense of security for the fireworks that follow.
The Andii parts obviously get a lot better once you've read Forge.

Darujhistan still sucks balls and should be leveled the next time Karsa drops by.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It's odd. I have really enjoyed the philosophy and the ox and the whole narrated by Kruppe deal, it's just the actual plot has been slow as balls.

That said, book four is more than making up for that. I had the widest grin on my face when Whiskeyjack started commanding the army of the dead.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I skim over everything Kruppe says. It's Eriksen's long-winded, rambling style taken to an extreme. As a character, bearable, but hey let's write half the book from his perspective...

Top 5 Eriksen characters I hate - Kruppe, Karsa, Mallick Rel, Tavore, Leoman of the loving Flails.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

It's odd. I have really enjoyed the philosophy and the ox and the whole narrated by Kruppe deal, it's just the actual plot has been slow as balls.

That said, book four is more than making up for that. I had the widest grin on my face when Whiskeyjack started commanding the army of the dead.

Dude the last 200 or so pages of TtH are flat out loving awesome, consider it your reward for sticking through what most of us consider the weakest book of the series.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly think all that philosophy of the ox is there to lull you into a false sense of security for the fireworks that follow.
your approach to reading depresses and terrifies me

cptn_dr posted:

I've been finding TtH kinda slow and comparatively a little lacklustre, but book 4 has been amazing so far, with some of the best writing in the whole series. I've got to get up at 5.30 for work, but I don't know if I'll be able to go to sleep til I'm finished.
it's definitely a slow read but a re-read cemented it as my favourite in the series

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 15, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

e: nvm

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 15, 2016

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's definitely a slow read but a re-read cemented it as my favourite in the series

My re-read improved TtH for me a lot but I still think my favorites are DG, Bonehunters and TCG.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Finished TtH. For those last couple of dozen pages, I was torn between laughter, sobbing and smiling happily. While I don't think it'll ever be my favourite of the series, goddamn did that ending more than make up for it all. That had to have been the most Ascendants per square metre since the Chaining. Gonna start DoD on my way home from work, I think. The end is in sight... I might post all my current theories and predictions later on, so we can all see how laughably wrong most of them are.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I mercifully finished Night of Knives pretty quickly last week. I have mixed feelings on the book - on the one hand, there's a lot of really interesting details and worldbuilding there, but unfortunately the writing is just mediocre. I might bother myself with Return of the Crimson Guard, but it won't be much of a loss if I skip it I feel.

On a more positive note, I've raced through half of The Bonehunters in two days and holy poo poo it's really loving good. Getting to see everybody again was great, and the new characters are just as fun. Or the worst. Rest in peace Joyful Union :(

I read the entirety of the Siege of Y'Ghatan last night. That was nasty and brutal - not quite as bad as Capustan or Coral but it came close. Incredible, nerve-wracking writing. I can't wait to see what's next.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

cptn_dr posted:

I might post all my current theories and predictions later on, so we can all see how laughably wrong most of them are.

Please do this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Captain_Person posted:

I mercifully finished Night of Knives pretty quickly last week. I have mixed feelings on the book - on the one hand, there's a lot of really interesting details and worldbuilding there, but unfortunately the writing is just mediocre. I might bother myself with Return of the Crimson Guard, but it won't be much of a loss if I skip it I feel.
please don't do this to yourself

Fenrir posted:

My re-read improved TtH for me a lot but I still think my favorites are DG, Bonehunters and TCG.
Yeah, Bonehunters improved massively on a re-read, it's definitely up there now. I didn't like it much first time through, reading the books as they came out and trying to remember who the hell everyone was

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Okay, before I start in on the home stretch, here are some of my feelings/ideas/theories about what I think is coming. Just gonna spoiler block the whole thing, just in case.

-The Crippled God isn't quite as bad as he's being made out to be. Obviously he's not a good guy, but he seems more pathetic than evil.
-Following on from that, he might get Shield Anvil'd. Potentially we'll see Heboric come back and do it?
-The Otataral Dragon we saw however many books ago will show up and cause trouble.
-Someone will have to replace Hood, and my money is on Dessembrae or Iskar Jarak.
-Fiddler will blow up... I'm gonna go with at least 3 ascendants.
-The Forkrul Assail will play more of a role than they have so far. The K'chain will show up, living in eastern Lether. Short Tails will be somewhere around, too.
-Most Warrens are made through a mixture of Krul's blood and the soul (essence? Being? Mind?) Of an Eleint.
-Ganoes and Tavore will be reunited, may learn about Felisin.
-Urb will confess his love to Hellian, and it will be adorable.
-The Mule will be, gently caress, I dunno. An Ascendant of some kind.
-Karsa will kick rear end, take names, throw down with a dragon, be Witnessed.
-Everyone I love will die, but at least half will come back to life

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
A couple of those are pretty obvious at that point but it's worth noting that you're one of the most perceptive readers I've seen since I started reading this thread.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

acumen posted:

A couple of those are pretty obvious at that point but it's worth noting that you're one of the most perceptive readers I've seen since I started reading this thread.

Four years of English and Comparative Literature: finally doing more than gathering dust.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah I'm seriously impressed with your predictions. Even discounting the more obvious ones, a couple of them are frighteningly close to the mark.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Better than my predictions were at that point in the series.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He's read the wiki.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

cptn_dr posted:

My favorite part of that sequence, of that whole book, was when Hood arrived in Darujhistan and and triggered a few needful deaths. Some people get choked up over Trull's death, but it was that vignette of the broken man caring for his dead mother, and Hood sending him to her again, that got me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

sassassin posted:

He's read the wiki.

Yeah, and likely a lot of thread spoilers or a reread somewhere.

No other way.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair most of that stuff is foreshadowed.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Or maybe I didn't spoil myself in the name of nonexistent internet points. I mean, sure, maybe I picked up a spoiler or two somewhere without remembering and so think I'm cleverer than I am, it has been six months since I started reading so it's possible. And I admit to following the Tor reread for book 1 and some of 2 before I gave up and decided to just read the drat books on my own.
But I didn't go out and ruin my fun just to make myself look smarter.

Anyway, starting DoD this morning. That's a hell of a Dramatis Personae.

Edit: DoD Prologue: Well, I understood about half of what was going on. That's a step up from earlier books.
I liked the Geigeresque nightmare realm of the K'chain. Christ, it's all so bleak.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 16, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Man, I don't remember Forge of Darkness at all. Who are all these assholes and why are they all mad at each other?

don't answer this

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Maybe the Tiste were made wrong on purpose, like some cruel god spawned a race that are particularly vulnerable to Seasonal Affective Disorder as a joke

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This Gruntle poo poo in MoI is so boring so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

RC Cola posted:

This Gruntle poo poo in MoI is so boring so far.

Don't worry. It...builds up.