Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I am into Porcupine Tree and I'm just starting to get into vinyl. I will be broke soon :negative:

That artwork though! :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

WASDF posted:

I've never even listened to PT. What album should I listen to first?

I'd really say just pick one and see what you think. All of their albums have fairly different sounds, but I think post In Absentia, they've had a more unified style. So if you want a taste of what they sound like in the last 10 years or so, try out maybe Deadwing or Fear of a Blank Planet. I'd say those are fairly digestible for "the uninitiated". If you want more of an idea of what they used to sound like, check out Lightbulb Sun or Signify. Or The Sky Moves Sideways. I've finally listened to Stupid Dream, and it's also amazing. Porcupine Tree are the poo poo. Basically if you like awesome music, you will like Porcupine Tree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTz002QxRes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_8UmXv5Xac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IsoHNdFUTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To4sAz2g1Aw :rock:

I wish I didn't know about that limited version of The Incident, because I shouldn't be spending money right now...

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

But legitimately, who cares about ring wear this much? It's so lame to do that. Turns buying an album into a scientific process.
I don't really see why this sounds like such a hassle...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Ring wear is literally worse than the holocaust.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
When I get a record in the mail and it's stored INSIDE THE JACKET I lose my poo poo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kevar posted:

When I get a record in the mail and it's stored INSIDE THE JACKET I lose my poo poo.
I think every record I have received has been like that, is that bad?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I agree with you on the "choose an album and see if you like it" but those songs are completely different to the ones I'd introduce people with:

Stars Die (1994)
Signify (1996)
Trains (2002)
Glass Arm Shattering (2005)
What Happens Now? (2007)

Just goes to show how diverse they are, I guess.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

bowmore posted:

I think every record I have received has been like that, is that bad?

Not really. I've seen people spazz out about it though. It CAN cause damage to the jacket. I have a few jackets with split seams because of the record being shipped inside. Most of the labels I order from ship with the record outside the jacket but inside a plastic sleeve.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Are you loving kidding me?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Hey, man. They say it's essential. You calling Insound a liar?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Man, Home Depot is losing a bunch of money. I mean, you get two in the package!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-3-in-Plastic-Line-Levels-2-Pack-585/100353828

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
My SL-D2 is dying. :(

The pitch keeps shifting which is apparently a common problem with older Technics. Googled a bit and found a bunch of forum posts saying open it up and clean/lube the pitch control & power switch. Did that and it just got worse. Am now looking at paying entirely too much to ship a new power switch & pitch control over to Australia. Why the gently caress did I ever sell both of my 1200s?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
I thought that issue was symptomatic of a faulty control IC. The part is NLA.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

david puddy posted:

I've nearly got every song they've ever released on vinyl though

Holy poo poo, how did you find We Lost the Skyline? Did you buy its pressing straight from their store? I really want that album and Stupid Dream but they're both way more than I can afford. Also, I listen to my stuff a ton and would inevitably feel terrible when its worn.

Edit: Jesus, you have the 40 minute improvisation thing Transmission IV.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 1, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Has anyone received their Phantom Menace records from I Am Shark?

Dishonorable Disco
Dec 22, 2009

the sun always shines on TV

Detective Thompson posted:

Man, Home Depot is losing a bunch of money. I mean, you get two in the package!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-3-in-Plastic-Line-Levels-2-Pack-585/100353828

Yeah, but a turntable leveled with a wood-encased level gives a much warmer sound than one leveled with plastic.

Speaking of leveling, where's the best spot to put your level to level out a 1200? I have a bullseye level (like this) and it seems like when it's level in one spot, it's off in another.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

I mean, it's a ripoff, but we're not talking about a 20,000 dollar power cord. One that costs more than my car.

Or how about the 900 dollars USB cable? Man, my iPod would sound so much better with the bits coming from that!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Weinertron posted:

Holy poo poo, how did you find We Lost the Skyline? Did you buy its pressing straight from their store? I really want that album and Stupid Dream but they're both way more than I can afford. Also, I listen to my stuff a ton and would inevitably feel terrible when its worn.

Edit: Jesus, you have the 40 minute improvisation thing Transmission IV.
I got We Lost The Skyline from Discogs, it was like $90. It's the orange version. Also, my Transmission IV is the rarest variant :smug:

e: also you can order Stupid Dream for under $25

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 2, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What would you dudes pay for this, in perfect working order?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I'll take it for the cost of shipping.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Me in Reverse posted:

Nothing. Those old console systems are utter garbage.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Or how about the 900 dollars USB cable? Man, my iPod would sound so much better with the bits coming from that!

quote:

Crystal's conductors are created from pure silver that is impregnated with gold.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I love how it says the cable is protected by an "incredibly thin, but supertough Teflon outer coat". Teflon is many things, but it is not tough at all. You can scratch teflon coatings off with a fingernail.

Edit: vvv And you know some hipster idiot is going to buy them and think it's the hottest poo poo around.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 2, 2013

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Me in Reverse posted:

Nothing.

I always find it really funny when people throw these things on craigslist for 200 dollars thinking "Records are back some audiophile is gonna pay a boatload for
this retro equipment"

My craigslist is hilarious when it comes to records. Some guy keeps putting up a Bill Cosby record for 100 bucks and he posts it just about once a month.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

Me in Reverse posted:

Would you be willing to part with the picture sleeve 45 of Take My Breath Away by Berlin? That's some classic Moroder

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jul 2, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Wow, people really don't let people down easily in here anymore.

Consoles for the most part aren't collectible. The ones that are, are so rare you will never see them, and when you do they only go for $200.

The unit here is very typical 1960s fare. Most console owners are just happy to be rid of them.

Many things come back into fashion, console stereos will never be one of those things.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I love how it says the cable is protected by an "incredibly thin, but supertough Teflon outer coat". Teflon is many things, but it is not tough at all. You can scratch teflon coatings off with a fingernail.

But you see, the Teflon helps the sound slide through more easily. Don't you know that 80% of distortion is just sound waves getting stuck in the cable?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:catstare: I know consoles aren't high-quality but I figured someone would have an appreciation for an old cool thing that I was gonna pay like $50 for.

The loving attitude you guys have sometimes, jesus.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
You really shouldn't be offended when people who know what they are talking about call a spade a spade. There was about 3 really good brands of console stereos and about 40,000 terrrribly average ones.

Not everything that is old is worth saving.

Now if you'd found a Capehart or a New Orthophonic...

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Me in Reverse posted:

:catstare: I know consoles aren't high-quality but I figured someone would have an appreciation for an old cool thing that I was gonna pay like $50 for.

If you really want a console you should be able to get it for nothing. People get rid of them a lot because they take up too much room.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Find Fishers and rip the monoblocks out. Trash everything else.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Me in Reverse posted:

Fun fact: It's now been four months and a week since I was supposed to have gotten my Man With The Iron Fists Deluxe Pak from Soul Temple.

They've ignored in the range of 20 emails now, save one reply two months ago which said "We shipped them out in December, you should have gotten it."

:thumbsup:

Random aside: It's now been over Six Months and Soul Temple still ignores my twice-a-week emails.

gently caress Soul Temple Forever.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Me in Reverse posted:

Now you can buy $50 worth of other cool stuff!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Me in Reverse posted:

For 50 bucks you could probably find a decent vintage turntable that's actually good.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Me in Reverse posted:

Random aside: It's now been over Six Months and Soul Temple still ignores my twice-a-week emails.

gently caress Soul Temple Forever.

Soul Temple sent out an e-mail saying that all the Shaolin Soul Selections box sets would be delivered by May 22nd. It still hasn't shown up, of course, so I sent BandCamp another e-mail, asking for a cancellation of the order and a refund.
Here's their response.

BandCamp posted:

We're in regular contact with Soul Temple now as they address their considerable backlog of orders. They've got their shipments in line now, and we've worked out a clearer process for letting them know when specific shipments (such as yours) have not arrived, and need some special attention. I've added you to their priority list, and this will hopefully mean your order will be shipped soon, if it hasn't gone out already.
From their wording, it sounds like the May 22nd delivery date just evaporated, and they're still flubbing it, over a month later.
So, in another month, I'll probably be sending them the same e-mail again.

e:v Man, I ordered that back in February. The only PayPal option now is to file an unauthorized activity claim and specify that it's a case of fraudulent practices, and I just finished doing that with Alex CF from Fall of Efrafa/Light Bearer. Filing another one for $30 seems a bit less effective than just continuing to appeal to BandCamp's customer support people and suggesting that they drop Soul Temple from their site.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 2, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Personperson14 posted:

For 50 bucks you could probably find a decent vintage turntable that's actually good.

I have plenty of poo poo already, I just wanted to add this thing to my collection, stop picking on meeeeeee

Darthemed posted:

From their wording, it sounds like the May 22nd delivery date just evaporated, and they're still flubbing it, over a month later.
So, in another month, I'll probably be sending them the same e-mail again.

If you paid via PayPal, FILE A CLAIM NOW. Don't let the 45 days pass.
Edit: I misread -- delivered by 22nd probably means you're well over 45 days. My condolences, you'll never get your money or record if history proves correct.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 2, 2013

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

When you're buying a console player, you're buying a piece of furniture. If you like the way it looks in your place, then go for it and don't listen to anybody saying it's not good at actually playing records. The one you posted looks like it's in fine condition and could be a neat addition to a room.

I have a big-rear end console player in my garage. The turntable is garbage but I use it as a radio and a table. I know it's not worth anything and it's not a collector's piece, but not everything has to be valuable to enjoy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Me in Reverse posted:

I have plenty of poo poo already, I just wanted to add this thing to my collection, stop picking on meeeeeee

To elaborate on what the poster above me said, buy the console as a piece of furniture if you like the way it looks.

Consoles make sweet credenzas/record storage/gear tables if you modify them right.

Just tear out all of the mechanical innards and replace with your own stuff. You could probably fit a turntable where the built-in one currently is and ditto for a receiver. Or just pop everything on top.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Soul Temple sounds like some really sketchy people. Its unfortunate that they can just have a name change and none of this poo poo will really harm their future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

WASDF posted:

Soul Temple sounds like some really sketchy people. Its unfortunate that they can just have a name change and none of this poo poo will really harm their future.
Well as of right now the third google result (for me anyway) for "Soul Temple" is a boycott page someone set up on facebook. But yeah if they change their name that obviously won't matter.