Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Haha and im deciding whether a bonavita gooseneck kettle is a good buy...

That kettle is my favorite coffee related item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Miko posted:

Wow that's a pretty machine, with a pretty price tag to boot. How does that brew paddle work?

Here I am scratching my head over getting a Crossland CC1.

On the Linea mini the brew paddle literally is just an on/off switch. On the paddle equipped GS/3 it's actually a real paddle like on La Marzocco's larger machines.

I've been lusting after a GS/3 for awhile, and I still think I'd want it over the Linea, but the Linea is cheaper...

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

What's the general rule on brewing old rear end coffee? I have some beans that are a month old or something and I want to use them up before I get more. Should I have a longer or shorter brew time with older beans?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

inferis posted:

What's the general rule on brewing old rear end coffee? I have some beans that are a month old or something and I want to use them up before I get more. Should I have a longer or shorter brew time with older beans?

I use old stuff for cold brew because the age doesn't show through so much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I use them for iced coffee. I usually add milk to that anyway.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

My new company has terrible coffee, so I'm going to bring in a french press and my own coffee that I grind at home. Does anyone else do this? Trying to strike a balance between convenience (ie not bringing in freshly-ground coffee every day) and taste (ie bringing in too much and then having to use old coffee). I suppose bringing in a sealed tub on Monday with enough coffee for a week would be enough?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Depends on how fussy your taste is. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with five day old grinds, they'd still be better than the swill on tap.

I have several office mates that do what you're suggesting. I have a camping grinder but using one of those twice a day in a cube farm might get you killed.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You might consider taking some cold-brew concentrate instead of brewing at work. If you've got hot water it's about the easiest way to get decent coffee at work.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Dr Cheeto posted:

You might consider taking some cold-brew concentrate instead of brewing at work. If you've got hot water it's about the easiest way to get decent coffee at work.

Definitely do this instead. Used becoming's concentrate recipe for hot water and it works great.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You're not a real coffee lover if you don't buy a work grinder :colbert:

(seriously though just do the cold concentrate thing)

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
My girlfriends birthday's coming up, and since she's a big coffee drinker I picked up a Bonavita 1900TS to replace our Mr. Coffee, I found a few local roasters, and next paycheck I'm getting a burr grinder to replace our current bladed one.

That being said, she usually drinks flavored coffee. (Specifically, http://www.torkecoffee.com/collections/flavored-coffee.)
After trying the fresh roast, if she still perfers the flavored stuff is there a good way for us to flavor the fresh roast ourselves? Or at the very least does anyone have any higher quality flavored coffee recommendations?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You could probably just get some good quality syrups and add those at the end? :shrug:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Pretty much every coffee place I've been in has bottles of sugar syrup to flavour lattes with. Caramel, hazelnut, vanilla, that sort of thing. You can get them in just about any flavour, I believe, but most of the more exotic ones are probably for cocktails and not coffee.

I wouldn't buy them from a coffee chain though. I've been told that Makro (a bulk-buy place) will sell the same 1L Monin-brand syrups we use, for £6. We sell them for £14.95. gently caress that.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Y'know, I never even considered that they'd sell just the syrup, haha. I assumed flavoring coffee was like, something they had to be done during the roasting process to ensure a balanced flavor...Yeah, I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I put in a lot of work to eliminate an entire fling cabinet drawers worth of paperwork we used to keep on hand. This cabinet drawer now houses a virtuoso, jennings scale, a bag of beans, boxes of filters, chemex, and a v60. I donated a electric hario kettle for public use for "tea". So far nobody has discovered my secret.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sextro posted:

I put in a lot of work to eliminate an entire fling cabinet drawers worth of paperwork we used to keep on hand. This cabinet drawer now houses a virtuoso, jennings scale, a bag of beans, boxes of filters, chemex, and a v60. I donated a electric hario kettle for public use for "tea". So far nobody has discovered my secret.

Office coffee gollum

Nasty Stanky Bitch
Dec 20, 2008
Does anyone have a recommendation for non-acidic coffee?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

oaok posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for non-acidic coffee?

Brazilian. Also try cold brewing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

rockcity posted:

Brazilian. Also try cold brewing.

Definitely cold brew. It is like chocolate milk mix for adults.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What's a stylish looking grinder to match my Bodum Press?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

A Baratza vario or preciso.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

dik-dik posted:

You're not a real coffee lover if you don't buy a work grinder :colbert:

(seriously though just do the cold concentrate thing)

An entire desk in our office is dedicated to the Baratza Encore, electric kettle, multiple Aeropresses, a french press, and a chemex.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

An entire desk in our office is dedicated to the Baratza Encore, electric kettle, multiple Aeropresses, a french press, and a chemex.

Im going to guess. ...small IT firm?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Im going to guess. ...small IT firm?

Research lab.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Oh hi saturday morning coffee thread people. I'll just leave my toy here...

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

I was going to guess this.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The BV1900TS which is ranked quite highly among coffee makers, can be had from surlatable.com for ~$152 right now (depending on your tax situation).

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1774900/

Promotion Code: MAKEHERDAY15 (20% off)

Was even better for me since I had a $10 off $50 Amex reward as well (If you have amex check your offers section).

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

MrEnigma posted:

The BV1900TS which is ranked quite highly among coffee makers, can be had from surlatable.com for ~$152 right now (depending on your tax situation).

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1774900/

Promotion Code: MAKEHERDAY15 (20% off)

Was even better for me since I had a $10 off $50 Amex reward as well (If you have amex check your offers section).

Thanks you just solved Mother's Day gifting.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought #2 filters instead of #4 cause I wasn't paying attention. I should still be able to use them in a clever coffee dripper right? I have the large version. I figure it'll either just be too big or small but still be just fine.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I bought #2 filters instead of #4 cause I wasn't paying attention. I should still be able to use them in a clever coffee dripper right? I have the large version. I figure it'll either just be too big or small but still be just fine.

Yeah, it's fine. It'll be smaller than the CCD but it really won't make any difference.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JohnCompany posted:

Oh hi saturday morning coffee thread people. I'll just leave my toy here...

About your electric kettle... that looks like exactly what I need, not wanting to shill for a separate kettle and warmer. Where'd you get it, and does it hold that magical temperature well?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Can't speak for how well it holds temp, but it's the Bonavita 1.0L Electric Kettle BV3825B, which you can find in a lot of places. It's the non-variable version of the popular bonavita gooseneck kettle.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah. I haven't done any pseudoscientific tests, but I get really nice, pretty controllable extraction using it. I normally wet the flannel (or chemex) and then take 20-30 seconds to drain this water and then add the grounds and then bloom, so that 20-30 seconds seems to get the job done in dropping the temperature from boiling to ~200.

Anyway, as long as you brew roughly the same each time in terms of time between "boil-off" and starting to bloom, you can isolate the temperature as a variable, and even if it's not perfectly ideal you can mess around with other variables in your control and figure out a pretty good profile.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If you need to hold temperature, absolutely get the Bonavaita that has the base with the temperature settings. I've had mine for about 2 years and it's amazing. Heats up super quickly and holds temp very well.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

rockcity posted:

If you need to hold temperature, absolutely get the Bonavaita that has the base with the temperature settings. I've had mine for about 2 years and it's amazing. Heats up super quickly and holds temp very well.

2nding this. It rules so hard. Hell I use it for tea and heating up filtered water for bread making.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Obligatory Toast posted:

2nding this. It rules so hard. Hell I use it for tea and heating up filtered water for bread making.

tripling this. I've got the readout and the non temp readout and best investments. If you're leering of dropping a lot of money at once go for the one without the readout. Also, check goodwill/salvo. I've seen some in there.

Curious if anyone is interested in an idea I had for green coffee buying. In short, I'll sell you some of my green with a small markup. This place green coffee buying club does it and add's .50 to the purchase price plus paypal fee and shipping. I won't make much but it would help increase my purchasing power for green coffee. I've been eyeing up some coffees the importers pitch as blenders but work ok on their own if you really temper your expectations. The three I've liked are from 1.82-2.47 a pound. I'm open to suggestions or whatever.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I have a Bialetti Moka Pot and I love the coffee it makes, but maybe I can love it more? I buy Pilon ground coffee, but I'm interested in grinding my own (pre-roasted beans) for a better cup.

What beans would you guys suggest I buy if I want a great tasting, authentic "Cuban cafecito?" Any suggestions for a good, inexpensive grinder for said beans? Not looking to spend more than $50 on all of this.

Also, I'm interested in what I would need to make a coffee house style latte/cappucino in addition to my Moka Pot. I imagine a milk steamer/frother might be pricy?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Buy beans that have a roasted ON date and no older than 2 weeks.

If you can stretch that budget a little, get a capresso infinity.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Google Butt posted:

Buy beans that have a roasted ON date and no older than 2 weeks.

If you can stretch that budget a little, get a capresso infinity.

Hmm, ideas for where to get said beans? Any national chain that sells fresh beans? I don't think my local grocery store or Target would, would they? I know Trader Joe's sells beans. Are they any good?

Also, lighter roasts are generally preferable in regards to flavor and aroma, right? Any reason to go with darker roasts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Hmm, ideas for where to get said beans? Any national chain that sells fresh beans? I don't think my local grocery store or Target would, would they? I know Trader Joe's sells beans. Are they any good?

Also, lighter roasts are generally preferable in regards to flavor and aroma, right? Any reason to go with darker roasts?

Where do you live? Local roasters are becoming more and more common. There are also a lot roasters to buy from online.

As for the roast, lighter roasts taste more like the region they came from so there is a lot more variance in how a bean can taste if it's roasted on the light-medium side of things. The darker you go the less it starts to taste like that region and the more it starts to taste like just a roasted flavor. There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you like it's just a little less interesting if you ask me. Every now and then I like something a little a little dark though.