Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
EV: The NDA prevents me from posting about Free Charging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's pretty normal, you do an early line changeover and then just run 2017.5s for like 16 mos or whatever.

Yeah, it's hardly unique to Germany. US domestics have been doing midyear changes for decades. I have a '66 Corvette and drat near everything on it has an early (E66) or late (L66) part. Like the seat belt buckles, for gently caress's sake. Then you've got the 64 1/2 Mustang.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
This is about Electric Aircraft mainly, but the parts covering Active Battery Management Systems and Solid Power's new Aluminum/Copper LiOn battery are worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PmXL0oiggg

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
And the latest company looking to enter the EV market is... Dyson?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/26/news/dyson-electric-car/index.html

The article mentions a failed attempt at producing an exhaust filter for diesel engines (it worked, but it would have required that the car be periodically emptied of the crap it filtered out). Apparently, this is them wanting to take another whack at saving the planet.

How likely do you think it is that they'll become a real contender? Their vacuum cleaner business has given them a good amount of experience with motors and batteries, but cars have very different needs in that department.

VideoGameVet posted:

This is about Electric Aircraft mainly, but the parts covering Active Battery Management Systems and Solid Power's new Aluminum/Copper LiOn battery are worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PmXL0oiggg

If they can get battery technology to where it'd need to be to make electric aircraft a practical method of transportation, there would be no excuse for anyone to bother with internal combustion.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

The article mentions a failed attempt at producing an exhaust filter for diesel engines (it worked, but it would have required that the car be periodically emptied of the crap it filtered out). Apparently, this is them wanting to take another whack at saving the planet.

How likely do you think it is that they'll become a real contender? Their vacuum cleaner business has given them a good amount of experience with motors and batteries, but cars have very different needs in that department.

If they can get battery technology to where it'd need to be to make electric aircraft a practical method of transportation, there would be no excuse for anyone to bother with internal combustion.

I'm sure they will make the best handling, best performing electric on the market car by a large margin, and sell it for anywhere between 3x and 10x the price of the competition. Its plastics will be beyond reproach.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the EPA entry barrier being removed, it should be easy for a ton of companies to get into the EV space if they don't overthink it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think they can do well. The failure of the automotive establishment to take EV development seriously has left a power vacuum in the market.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ola posted:

I think they can do well. The failure of the automotive establishment to take EV development seriously has left a power vacuum in the market.

I'm going to allow this.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Given their experience working with electric motors and their interesting industrial design, I suspect they've already got it in the bag.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder how many parents Honda has on the onboard vacuum cleaner in the Odyssey.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Given their experience working with electric motors and their interesting industrial design, I suspect they've already got it in the bag.

But they only make bag-less vacuums? :thunk:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I'm not sure, Dyson has only been involved in small electronics right? The possibility of this sucking a lot is high. They could blow a ton of money on this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

D C posted:

I'm not sure, Dyson has only been involved in small electronics right? The possibility of this sucking a lot is high. They could blow a ton of money on this.

My worry is how they'll figure out their 100:1 bill of materials to price ratio when their bill of materials is $10k.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Powershift posted:

My worry is how they'll figure out their 100:1 bill of materials to price ratio when their bill of materials is $10k.

Nissan built a GTR version of the loving Juke. Anything can happen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Nissan built a GTR version of the loving Juke. Anything can happen.

Yeah, but i can't see anybody paying $1m for a sleek nissan leaf

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but i can't see anybody paying $1m for a sleek nissan leaf

They'll make it with hubless wheels and everyone will be all over that poo poo, price be damned.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cockmaster posted:

How can they design a decent electric car when they can't even make a good Airport Urinal?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My Dyson robovacuum is a piece of poo poo.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

How can they design a decent electric car when they can't even make a good Airport Urinal?

:perfect:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

VideoGameVet posted:

Is that what those are? Thought they’d be a bit small for that but you learn something new every day!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Piss in the wind

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dyson’s own products are underwhelming, but they have a knack for reminding everyone that the products they were buying suck and/or blow.

The Airblade is gross but I credit Dyson with getting XLERATORs installed in a lot of places that used to have “press button to hear a short speech from our president for ambiance, then dry your hands on your pants” machines.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Platystemon posted:

Dyson’s own products are underwhelming, but they have a knack for reminding everyone that the products they were buying suck and/or blow.

The Airblade is gross but I credit Dyson with getting XLERATORs installed in a lot of places that used to have “press button to hear a short speech from our president for ambiance, then dry your hands on your pants” machines.

They're a favorite down here, because they seem super futuristic and high tech.

Problem is, even hot air doesn't dry your hands when the humidity is almost always over 80%.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The new hotness in air blades is two nozzles next to the faucet in the sink. Works actually pretty well.
The fans are pretty gimmicky. It's the rechargeable cordless stick vacuums that are the tits.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Finger Prince posted:

The fans are pretty gimmicky. It's the rechargeable cordless stick vacuums that are the tits.

The cordless vacs own.

Imagine a car with Dyson Ball wheels on each corner!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

The new hotness in air blades is two nozzles next to the faucet in the sink. Works actually pretty well.

Doesn't it whirl the inevitable remaining drops of soapy water around and onto your groin so you emerge from the bathroom looking like you've done a very poor job?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

D C posted:

The cordless vacs own.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

D C posted:

Imagine a car where every couple of weeks you have to relubricate the door hinges or the doors won't open (and if you pull a little harder when the door is sticking, it just snaps the hinge and the whole thing needs to be taken in for repair.)

(ref: Dyson upright locking mechanisms being poo poo)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Doesn't it whirl the inevitable remaining drops of soapy water around and onto your groin so you emerge from the bathroom looking like you've done a very poor job?

Surprisingly no! (or unsurprisingly I was too drunk to notice if it did.) I think sink design might be part of the package.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

I think sink design might be part of the package.

If they actually hired the one functional sink designer in the world to do that, I have full confidence in their automotive efforts. Usually, all fancy looking sinks and toilet bowls are insufficiently tested for splashback.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Alright, we get it. Your turds are huge. Don't rub it in :sigh:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What is up with the bowls on top of a counter pretending to be sinks?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Tesla Model 3 looks interesting, but seriously, gently caress having a single touchscreen for everything. If I got that car I'd go off the road at 60 mph while trying to adjust the windshield wiper speed.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

Roadie posted:

The Tesla Model 3 looks interesting, but seriously, gently caress having a single touchscreen for everything. If I got that car I'd go off the road at 60 mph while trying to adjust the windshield wiper speed.

Wait hold on: they have toggle arms that do that, right? That would be a huge design oversight to make something like that require your attention shift from the road.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

McStephenson posted:

Wait hold on: they have toggle arms that do that, right? That would be a huge design oversight to make something like that require your attention shift from the road.
Wipers are controlled from the screen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nobody knows :shrug:

The Model 3 launch is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. People with $1000 deposits, being asked to pay $50,000 for the vehicle once it hits their spot in line, have to go on unaffiliated internet forums to figure out what features the car actually has and how they work.

Tesla: okay, i got this thing, you wanna buy it?
Customer: what is it?
Tesla: Does it matter? do you want it or not?
Customer: Okay, how much does it cost?
Tesla: Quit wasting my time, fucko, i've got other people in line

e:

quote:

I agree with you for some people who may or may not buy, but I feel there is a large percentage that will buy based on reputation, seeing someone else's car or based on reviews. I don't test the new I-phone before buying. Things are changing...the internet has increased buy without touching and testing.

:bravo:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 30, 2017

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
I enjoy this thread when it isn't "pooping on Tesla", but having to do things on a screen when they absolutely need to be done with a mechanical switch is very very very worrying.

Also the whole thing Powershift said. Jeez Louise I'm glad I bought my dork mobile Leaf

v So, that's a bit more reasonable. Not great, but it makes sense. v

SapientCorvid fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 30, 2017

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

McStephenson posted:

ilkhan posted:

Wipers are controlled from the screen.
The toggle arm turns the wipers on and off, but to set them to slow/medium/fast you have to use the touchscreen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Roadie posted:

The toggle arm turns the wipers on and off, but to set them to slow/medium/fast you have to use the touchscreen.

That’s still pretty bad.

Who here has never seen a light misting suddenly turn into a heavy downpour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Wouldn't rain detection (once it's actually working) alleviate the need for setting the wiper speed manually?

• Locked thread