Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Clitch posted:

Main Bass Body Shapes:

Fender shapes

SG

Hofner

"I traded my meds for a bandsaw."

Did I miss any?

Ric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Clitch posted:

Main Bass Body Shapes:

Fender shapes

SG

Hofner

Did I miss any?

Stingray

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

He said Fender

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Nnngh. Fair enough.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Clitch posted:

Main Bass Body Shapes:

Fender shapes

SG

Hofner

Did I miss any?

amorphous blob

eg

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Repeat offender. He also played a Les Paul with a cherry sunburst finish. The worst finish.

Can't get the picture to post but it's Ace Frehley's horrible Washburn.
http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/frehley.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krustic fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 22, 2014

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

He's playing near me soon and I have been offered tickets for the bargain price of £20 each, lol.

Honestly worth going to just for the comedy. He came by Maidstone about six years ago and it was the funniest £14 I ever spent.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Honestly worth going to just for the comedy. He came by Maidstone about six years ago and it was the funniest £14 I ever spent.

It's a bit of a trek, but I'm considering it a bit more than I should. The videos of him playing on youtube are funny as poo poo.

Do any of you US Goons fancy a project?

Item condition:
For parts or not working

"Old Kramer guitar project, just about everything is shot... Tremolo looks good."

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2014

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

gently caress NICE.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
it's the mr. cool ice of guitars

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

comes along bort posted:

it's the mr. cool ice of guitars

At least he is consistent with his fonts. Could use more Comic Sans though.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

"The Minarik Inferno is the most scientifically advanced electric guitar ever built."

Also the stupidest.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

It's a bit of a trek, but I'm considering it a bit more than I should. The videos of him playing on youtube are funny as poo poo.

Where is it? You can't possibly think of missing the Lord of bluesdads.

e: His little two step shuffle dance thing is adorable.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

But what a payoff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwV-p0vepZ8

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Where is it? You can't possibly think of missing the Lord of bluesdads.

e: His little two step shuffle dance thing is adorable.

I love how he's gotten so fat that he can barely open his eyes now.
I was offered tickets for liverpool, according to his site the show has been and gone though. Ah well.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."

Minarik Guitars posted:

This flagship design features Custom Tone Chambering throughout the entire body, even into the flame tongues. Every design feature on this body shape has a purpose. Increased mass on the left side of the body accents low frequencies, and reduced mass on the right side increases the voice-like high frequencies. Each individual flame tongue was designed to produce a certain frequency response, giving the Minarik Inferno the most balanced and widest tone spectrum unmatched by any other guitar on the market today.

I want to loving slap whoever wrote that. Even if being "scientifically advanced" was generally a desirable thing in an instrument (to most guitarists), what a bunch of blatant low-effort bullshit. Not that I'm a huge fan of either, but Parker and Steinberger are both much more "advanced" in various ways (construction, materials, and finishing as well as general design). gently caress, Heritage guitars are more advanced just by virtue of using a skinny headstock. That's without bringing in small production guys like Strandberg, Rick Toon, and that one company that builds custom jobs around Moses graphite necks. And all of them are capable of designing guitars without a dozen tiny thin pointy bits that are easy to break off.

I know I'm sperging but sometimes the sheer audacity is too much for me.

Also if you want to watch that Grove video he finally starts playing about half way through. It sounds like a normal guitar with two humbuckers in it.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I want to loving slap whoever wrote that. Even if being "scientifically advanced" was generally a desirable thing in an instrument (to most guitarists), what a bunch of blatant low-effort bullshit. Not that I'm a huge fan of either, but Parker and Steinberger are both much more "advanced" in various ways (construction, materials, and finishing as well as general design). gently caress, Heritage guitars are more advanced just by virtue of using a skinny headstock. That's without bringing in small production guys like Strandberg, Rick Toon, and that one company that builds custom jobs around Moses graphite necks. And all of them are capable of designing guitars without a dozen tiny thin pointy bits that are easy to break off.

I know I'm sperging but sometimes the sheer audacity is too much for me.

Also if you want to watch that Grove video he finally starts playing about half way through. It sounds like a normal guitar with two humbuckers in it.

Your ears just aren't accustomed to TONE sir.

You can do whatever you want to a guitar as long as you put TONE in front of it. That crack by the neck pocket? It's a micro-tone fissure. Chips in the paint? Scientifically designed gaps in the finish to enhance tone. TONE.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 22, 2014

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This guy knows how to keep a beat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2UitlmX7Uo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

White Dog Eggs posted:

Your ears just aren't accustomed to TONE sir.

You can do whatever you want to a guitar as long as you put TONE in front of it. That crack by the neck pocket? It's a micro-tone fissure. Chips in the paint? Scientifically designed gaps in the finish to enhance tone. TONE.

the best thing about using tone as a descriptor is it's like using flavor to describe food

why did you poop all over my egg salad?

flavor.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
tone poo poo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pvj6l8a0mo

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

I love how he's gotten so fat that he can barely open his eyes now.
I was offered tickets for liverpool, according to his site the show has been and gone though. Ah well.

I noticed he was thumbbing in the other video, and checked another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqUDgQy2i3E

EDIT: I think he's sweating more than the overweight drummer, and Segal is sitting for the entire thing too.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
I missed this thread for a while, and everyone started saying "relicing."

For 3-4 pages of reading I was just nodding along, thinking we were adding lice again.

I am a dim man.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

I noticed he was thumbbing in the other video, and checked another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqUDgQy2i3E

EDIT: I think he's sweating more than the overweight drummer, and Segal is sitting for the entire thing too.

Pretty sure he's melting. Fucker can't sing for poo poo either.

Back when he could actually move, he used to run like a Japanese school-girl;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkskuSXqUD0

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I'm sort of curious about what he's doing with his right hand. Is he trying to imitate someone famous, or is it just an affectation to seem more "authentic"? I can believe that some people could play well that way, but it sure doesn't seem to be working for him.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Going to make a sign for my toilet that says "Tone Chamber".

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

Do any of you US Goons fancy a project?

Item condition:
For parts or not working

"Old Kramer guitar project, just about everything is shot... Tremolo looks good."

Make sure you use proper tone epoxy when reassembling.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

bitchtard posted:

Make sure you use proper tone epoxy when reassembling.

Epoxy kills the highs, man, you should only be using wood glue manufactured before 1976

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
only use hide glue

speaking of gluing I just had my local place glue my norlin era LP which was starting to crack along the pancake seam, hopefully it holds!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

shitocaster

come on

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Check me out with my new Zachary guitar

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

tacodaemon posted:

Check me out with my new Zachary guitar

Headstock looks like a dildo.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

White Dog Eggs posted:

Headstock looks like a dildo.

So does the kid holding it.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Ferrous Wheel posted:

I'm sort of curious about what he's doing with his right hand. Is he trying to imitate someone famous, or is it just an affectation to seem more "authentic"? I can believe that some people could play well that way, but it sure doesn't seem to be working for him.

Albert King played like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TkdHUZqRvM&t=193s
It's a weird "thumb as a pick" kind of thing. He also was left handed and played right handed guitars flipped around but not restrung(opposite of Hendrix for example). So the heavy strings were on the bottom.

He is probably trying to copy him to seem "authentic".

Dirt fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 23, 2014

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

muike posted:

only use hide glue
Pretty sure I have some tone duct tape that'll fix that right up

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

Albert King played like that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TkdHUZqRvM&t=193s
It's a weird "thumb as a pick" kind of thing. He also was left handed and played right handed guitars flipped around but not restrung(opposite of Hendrix for example). So the heavy strings were on the bottom.

I remember reading (or maybe seeing) an interview with Stephan Segall where her claimed to have been an old Delta blues guy in a previous life.

Some of the poo poo he comes out with is hilarious, so I'm fairly sure I didn't dream it up;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxloUBCYuFM

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

Pretty sure he's melting. Fucker can't sing for poo poo either.

Back when he could actually move, he used to run like a Japanese school-girl;
story checks out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHFr1_md3Ok

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

This is like if Francis Bacon had painted guitars instead of meat/bishops/scary dogs.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Dirt posted:

. He also was left handed and played right handed guitars flipped around but not restrung(opposite of Hendrix for example). So the heavy strings were on the bottom.

I played with a guy who did this, and following along with him was absolutely :psyduck:

Like backing into a parking space looking into a mirror that looks into another mirror.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Dirt posted:

I love how he's apparently got a broken finger in that video,and gives zero fucks. It's a pretty important finger too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

bitchtard posted:

I played with a guy who did this, and following along with him was absolutely :psyduck:

Like backing into a parking space looking into a mirror that looks into another mirror.

I was going to do this, but I came to my senses in time.

• Locked thread