Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'll accept either.

Also only noticed on PC the little guys on the giant backs in Harvest Valley. Poor guys being used against their will. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ Yeah the animation on those guys is really well done if you pay attention to it.

That whole zone is pretty cool, even though the poison is annoying. (And its not too hard to manage)

I get a WWI mustard-gas-in-the-trenches vibe from the place.

Maxmaps posted:

So is like the Covetous Demon fight a joke fight? All I had to do was run around it plinking arrows at him every time he took a very dodgeable swing at me.

Jabba is Pinwheel 2.0

:golfclap:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 1, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I encountered a bug in Iron Keep that led to a death -- wondering if anyone else had this problem and how you dealt with it. In the Furnace room, I turned the wheel to turn off the furnace and entered it from the side near the Smelter Demon's fog door. I dropped down, grabbed the loot inside the NOW-DEAD furnace, and then was climbing the ladder to exit the furnace (toward the last enemy and loot in that level other than Smelter D). Somehow, the flames were still on, but ONLY at the doorway at the top of the ladder exiting the furnace. I was really confused since there was no longer a physical source for the flames. I thought maybe it was just a display bug. Anyway, I tried to time it and get through the doorway -- you can see where this is going, bloodstain due to flame trap from a de-activated furnace.

How do I fix this? Did I do something wrong in handling the area? I want to get that bloodstain back.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Covetous IS moderately resistant to at least magic and fire, possibly all magic. So if you're running a sorcery build he can take more of a beating than usual. Still kind of sad and you can kill him with like 15 throwing knives.

vvvv: Fatty ahead, and then Victory.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 1, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Resonant Soul wiped him up without any effort. He's just a giant old bitch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vintersorg posted:

I'll accept either.

Also only noticed on PC the little guys on the giant backs in Harvest Valley. Poor guys being used against their will. :(

Or they're really good freinds teaming up to crush some undead!

...yeah they're slaves. Speaking of which, there's one ogre in the Valley that attacks you after busting through a barricaded wall. Directly behind that ogre is another wall with loot. I thought you had to lure the ogre into smashing that wall, but no matter what I tried the ogre couldn't break the wall. I can't figure out another way to get back there, so what do you do?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

OR there's more than one way to get his stuff? Which is how it works? :doh:

You can get it at earthen peak or later in brightstone cove. You have to summon him for last giant for him to give it to you in earthen peak. You have to talk to him everywhere and kill creighton to get it in tseldora, or you can kill pate at pretty much any point and buy it from a merchant. But then you don't get his ring.

You do have to summon him to get it in Earthen Peak. That's what we were talking about, pay attention. You can get it later in the game otherwise, yes, good for you.

I got his stuff in Earthen Peak and I did not summon him for anything. I just talked to him a whole bunch and he was like "Here, take my stuff."

I don't really understand why you're getting so worked up about something so trivial either.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Internet Kraken posted:

...yeah they're slaves. Speaking of which, there's one ogre in the Valley that attacks you after busting through a barricaded wall. Directly behind that ogre is another wall with loot. I thought you had to lure the ogre into smashing that wall, but no matter what I tried the ogre couldn't break the wall. I can't figure out another way to get back there, so what do you do?

You do have to lure him it can just be difficult. Exploit the fact that he will walk backwards from you sometimes if you get up in his grill after an attack.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The reason why most people disagree with you is because you're saying the wrong thing. Most people would agree that this game has really good level design, but some of those same people would probably agree that the game's world design is lacking. The rest, including myself, don't really care because the world design is completely secondary.

This is exactly what I was saying. Albeit less stupidly and :spergin:

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Two of his dark orbs did it for me.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to get him right next to the wall to get him to break it, but it is possible. In NG+, something else happens and they're much easier to get.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Domattee posted:

Two of his dark orbs did it for me.

Only a single attack is needed but they need to be really close (I think their actual arm has to hit it). For w/e reason it's only the orb attack that works; their regular melee does not

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

MadJackMcJack posted:

That said, didn't DS1 switch to Steamworks after GFWL's much deserved death? Hmmmm....

GFWL isn't dead yet. Its marketplace died in late 2013, but the GFWL infrastructure lives at least until June.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The reason why most people disagree with you is because you're saying the wrong thing. Most people would agree that this game has really good level design, but some of those same people would probably agree that the game's world design is lacking. The rest, including myself, don't really care because the world design is completely secondary.

Looks like some people are willing and able to separate world and level design, that's fine. It still doesn't change the fact that the devs occasionally failed to reconcile the two. Hence why I said they should've gone for the Demon's Souls approach of making separate, self-contained maps. I didn't specifically look for the volcano behind the Earthen Peak windmill (because I didn't know it should be there on my first playthrough) but the transition still felt extremely odd because my sense of direction told me there should've been something there. Having separate maps would also solve the issue of "How did I cross an entire country in 10 minutes?"

It's like some of you believe it's impossible to have well designed encounters and a well designed world at the same time. I also get the feeling that some of you are offended by the idea of DS2 being less than exceptional.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I was white phantoming for a guy doing Covetous Demon and he was actually dropping the zombies for the demon to eat. Dude, there is never a need for that, just punch him in his fat ugly face.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Looks like some people are willing and able to separate world and level design, that's fine. It still doesn't change the fact that the devs occasionally failed to reconcile the two. Hence why I said they should've gone for the Demon's Souls approach of making separate, self-contained maps. I didn't specifically look for the volcano behind the Earthen Peak windmill (because I didn't know it should be there on my first playthrough) but the transition still felt extremely odd because my sense of direction told me there should've been something there. Having separate maps would also solve the issue of "How did I cross an entire country in 10 minutes?"

It's like some of you believe it's impossible to have well designed encounters and a well designed world at the same time. I also get the feeling that some of you are offended by the idea of DS2 being less than exceptional.

Dks2 is still exceptional, better than dks. The less realistic world does nothing to the quality of the game; in Dks it was at-most a neat thing that you would occasionally notice. It's not like this is a Bethsoft game where the world-building is (supposed to be) one of the main focuses.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Okay, this is super loving embarrassing, but... where are the third and forth ring slots? I was told that there are 4 ring slots in this game instead of 2, but the whole game I've just been using 2. Can anyone put up a picture or something to illustrate for a poor, dumb, blind old man?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Okay, this is super loving embarrassing, but... where are the third and forth ring slots? I was told that there are 4 ring slots in this game instead of 2, but the whole game I've just been using 2. Can anyone put up a picture or something to illustrate for a poor, dumb, blind old man?

The four slots in the upper right of the equipment screen are all for rings.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Time_pants posted:

They form a 2x2 box in the inventory. The other two slots are right below the first.

e: I'm having a really hard time making a good looking female character. They always come out slightly pudgy and boyish. :psyduck:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Oh no the PC can't be hot! How can you then thrust but hole?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

My God am I ever stupid. Thank you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can anyone recommend a good weapon with a wide area of attack and long reach? My character is mainly using a Pike which is fine in PvE but terrible in PvP if you're fighting in a remotely open space. Thrusting is pretty awakward in PvP because of lag and your attack being limited to such a small area. I figured since I have nothing better to spend my souls on I might as well ugprade some more weapons.

I'd like it to have long reach since my character is a squishy witch that dies in two hits usually. Keeping my distance is nice.

Genocyber posted:

Dks2 is still exceptional, better than dks. The less realistic world does nothing to the quality of the game; in Dks it was at-most a neat thing that you would occasionally notice. It's not like this is a Bethsoft game where the world-building is (supposed to be) one of the main focuses.

This I don't agree with. While you can enjoy these games purely for the gameplay, one of the things to me that makes them exceptionally good is they build a unique world and tell and tell an interesting story. This is done by taking advantage of the medium of video games as well. The Dark Souls experience could not be replicated in another form of media. This to me is deserving of a high amount of praise.

The world being near perfectly built in Dark Souls made the entire setting feel much more organic and natural. So when I realize the DS 2 world was connected poorly, I was disappointed. However, the world itself is still very good and I'm not going to let that problem ruin what is an otherwise excellent setting.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 1, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Demon / Dark games are perfection in every way (I unironically think this - it's the only thing worth a poo poo to play these days).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Demon's Souls is the atmosphere souls.
Dark Souls is the world souls.
Dark Souls II is the gameplay souls.

None of the games have that knockout punch that makes it the clear best game, and that's virtually impossible to find in any series, be it in movies or games. FROM did an outstanding job. I absolutely can't wait to see how they'll do DSIII, which will inevitably be designed with PS4/XOne in mind.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^ I know I'm probably some kind of weirdo, but I really want a direct sequel to Demon's Souls on the PS4. ^

Welp, finally made it to the Gutter/Black Gulch. Go gently caress yourself with a burning candlestick, FROM. I know everyone in the thread is now going to dogpile me and say "but it's easy lol" but gently caress you too. Actually the gutter was easy as piss as soon as I lit a torch and figured out what was up, but seriously, gently caress Black Gulch. gently caress it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

Can anyone recommend a good weapon with a wide area of attack and long reach? My character is mainly using a Pike which is fine in PvE but terrible in PvP if you're fighting in a remotely open space. Thrusting is pretty awakward in PvP because of lag and your attack being limited to such a small area. I figured since I have nothing better to spend my souls on I might as well ugprade some more weapons.

I'd like it to have long reach since my character is a squishy witch that dies in two hits usually. Keeping my distance is nice.
Have you considered greatswords? The class, not the weapon. The area of attack and the range are both very good and they do huge-rear end damage when upgraded properly. A Mastodon Sword (or whatever they're called again) maxes out at 320 attack rating or so, for uninfused weapons. Plus it has a stab strong attack, for when space is limited.

DrNutt posted:

Welp, finally made it to the Gutter/Black Gulch. Go gently caress yourself with a burning candlestick, FROM. I know everyone in the thread is now going to dogpile me and say "but it's easy lol" but gently caress you too. Actually the gutter was easy as piss as soon as I lit a torch and figured out what was up, but seriously, gently caress Black Gulch. gently caress it.
Just roll everywhere and the poison blobs will nearly never hit you.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

They form a 2x2 box in the inventory. The other two slots are right below the first.

e: I'm having a really hard time making a good looking female character. They always come out slightly pudgy and boyish. :psyduck:

Try using the hormone slider in advanced settings.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DrNutt posted:

^ I know I'm probably some kind of weirdo, but I really want a direct sequel to Demon's Souls on the PS4. ^

There are two options in Black Gulch:

1) Run like hell
2) Take your time (which actually works, I did that)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

^^^Was it worth it to take it slow? Is there anything the grabbers or worms drop that I should be interested in?

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 1, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^ There's 2 ways to do it. Mad dash, or slowly and systematically breaking all the traps before they hit you.

There's a Hidden path that lets you break some of the ones you can't normally reach, but you don't have to do it. There's also a hidden bonfire towards the end of the zone, RIGHT before the boss, so you don't have to run the gauntlet every time.

Vintersorg posted:

The Demon / Dark games are perfection in every way (I unironically think this - it's the only thing worth a poo poo to play these days).

They don't have to be perfect to be the only thing worth a poo poo to play these days :haw:

They've got flaws but they're just so refreshing and original and well crafted compared to everything else, yeah.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sober posted:

There are two options in Black Gulch:

1) Run like hell
2) Take your time (which actually works, I did that)

Yeah, I tried option one but then I got slamfucked by giant worms off the side of a cliff, where two giants managed to go to town on me. I knew I'd eventually hit an unfun wall, but I'm proud that I've made it way farther than I ever did in DS1.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Darklurker is definitely a pain in the butt. I ended up killing him with Chaos Storm but he still managed to magic me to death while in the dying animation. Didn't count.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

FutonForensic posted:

I am supposed to make a mad dash to the end of Black Gulch, right? Doing anything else just seems like a chore.

Edit: Oh well I guess the post right above mine answers that

Either way is fine I guess. It goes a lot faster if you just set it all on fire. :getin:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Don't feel too bad buddy I spent 3 hours getting through the gutter. I had completely forgotten about the torch lighting gimmick.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Darklurker is definitely a pain in the butt. I ended up killing him with Chaos Storm but he still managed to magic me to death while in the dying animation. Didn't count.

Lightning completely ruins his day, you can kill him in ten hits or less with Great Lightning Spear depending on your faith/chime. Also make sure you don't do what I did and try to fight him from the Black Gulch portal because :suicide:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cardiovorax posted:

Have you considered greatswords? The class, not the weapon. The area of attack and the range are both very good and they do huge-rear end damage when upgraded properly. A Mastodon Sword (or whatever they're called again) maxes out at 320 attack rating or so, for uninfused weapons. Plus it has a stab strong attack, for when space is limited.

Just roll everywhere and the poison blobs will nearly never hit you.

I hadn't really. I suppose that's why most people use them. Unfortunately, I rather doubt I have the stats to use any and since the Warden suffered an...unfortunate accident, I won't be able to fix that problem until NG+.

Incidentally, I figured out a way to make ratbroing less miserable for my victim; items! I have tons of rare items I never use because my build doesn't allow it. I could just leave them sitting in my box gathering dust, but why not instead give them to others? So I've started dropping items right at the entrance as gifts/premeptive apologies. I hope that lessens the sting a bit when I walk up from behind and cast fire tempest.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Don't use the -storm spells. They leave you way too open. Flame Swathe is the best for him; if you cast one when he splits, you can hit both and do close to half his Hp. Great fireball is decent.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I think the first time I played Dark Souls is what ruined gaming for me. It enthralled me and then I played Demons Souls and was just... bored of video games. Nothing grips me in the same way that these games do, everything else feels kind of hollow in comparison. I've been slowly playing games less and less ever since v:shobon:v

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, I tried option one but then I got slamfucked by giant worms off the side of a cliff, where two giants managed to go to town on me. I knew I'd eventually hit an unfun wall, but I'm proud that I've made it way farther than I ever did in DS1.

Giant worms:

The giant worms have huge blind spots where they can't reach you. Just stay close to the hole they came out of.

Giants:

Hug the right-hand wall in the giant cave and you will come to a small cave with a prisoner's cage that can be used as an elevator. You will come up on a ledge from where you can fall down and continue running to the fog door or the second bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

DrNutt posted:

The entire zone is about 2 minutes long, the giants are optional. Run past the worms or whatever.