Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Orv posted:

Good for about 5 hours of marveling at the stupidity of what the devs think the military is like, preferably with coop buddies.

I'd love to hear more. :allears:

EDIT: This is what happens when you leave your tabs open too long.

Azran fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Overlord II is $2.50 today. Is it the same kind of fun as the first? I'm guessing I can use joy2key or something to play it with my 360 controller.

There is an infuriating feature where you can either convert or harvest each villager in the towns you conquer, and to get all of them you have to approach every house and smash up the doors to see if they are in the houses (there are close to 100 in the starting village) and then make sure to 'enthrall' them rather then kill them.

It was a massive pain in the rear end and trying to get all of them is what finally made me stop playing. It's pretty cool, the enthralled villagers work at forges and churn out gear your minions can pick up and arm themselves with, but the rest of the game is fairly bland and the new additions don't really make it more fun or better then the original Overlord.

The first game is still fun and absolutely worth $1.25. The expansion is just "Hell" versions of the regular game levels, which are harder and have more complex puzzle solving.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

you think i'm trolling?

Claptrap is my bud.

*High-fives Claptrap*

check out my fav game

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dragonashes/

Well then! I apologize for this error on my part many pages back!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah, the first Overlord is a very fun game that I love. I think my favourite part is that by deliberately taking the 'long term evil' approaches, you're deliberately gimping yourself, and there's a very good plot reason why you are told to do this by your advisor: You're not the real Overlord, you're just setting up stuff for when the actual boss gets back. Gnarl is a devious fucker.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Aksys has seen some of the sweet, sweet PC gamer moolah that Idea Factory Ghostlight is getting, and is now going to wade into the arena.

By porting MindZero.

Hey guys? How about you convince ArcSys about a PC port of the new Guilty Gear, eh? Or how about a 999 port?

(Apparently, it's nowhere near as terrible as its reputation suggests, as long as you recognise that the ending is non-existant and that it's wearing its Persona influences on its sleeve. But still, there's a good number of Aksys games that I'd far rather see)

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

I'd love to hear more. :allears:

EDIT: This is what happens when you leave your tabs open too long.

Oh it ticks all the checkboxes. "Inspirational" cursing and yelling from your CO, ridiculous "Oorah kill dem hajii!" comments, crazy battles that no commander in history would ever commit forces to, hilarious misuse of materiel. It is a ride. This is Red River to be clear. Dragon Rising is just unoffensively bland.

Keep in mind they made a big deal of bringing in military advisors for Red River's production. :v:

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 4, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

pentyne posted:

There is an infuriating feature where you can either convert or harvest each villager in the towns you conquer, and to get all of them you have to approach every house and smash up the doors to see if they are in the houses (there are close to 100 in the starting village) and then make sure to 'enthrall' them rather then kill them.

It was a massive pain in the rear end and trying to get all of them is what finally made me stop playing. It's pretty cool, the enthralled villagers work at forges and churn out gear your minions can pick up and arm themselves with, but the rest of the game is fairly bland and the new additions don't really make it more fun or better then the original Overlord.

The first game is still fun and absolutely worth $1.25. The expansion is just "Hell" versions of the regular game levels, which are harder and have more complex puzzle solving.

there was a part in the elf village (i think?) were the villagers would always get blown up by one of their suicidal allies. after about 10 tries trying to not get them to suicide so i could convert them i just shut the game off in disgust. overlord 1 was more fun

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I noticed that Spacebase DF-9 is $12 and got an update today. Is the game at a stage yet where there is a solid base like Prison Architect has? PA is at a point where each update adds more features to an already fun game. Is Spacebase at this point or do you still run out of stuff to do?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Spaseman posted:

I noticed that Spacebase DF-9 is $12 and got an update today. Is the game at a stage yet where there is a solid base like Prison Architect has? PA is at a point where each update adds more features to an already fun game. Is Spacebase at this point or do you still run out of stuff to do?

Nope! Continue waiting.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
So now all Steamcommunity pages are in Spanish for me. How do I make it English again?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So now all Steamcommunity pages are in Spanish for me. How do I make it English again?

Top right, drop down menu, Englais.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Orv posted:

Top right, drop down menu, Englais.

Inglés. :hist101:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

pentyne posted:

I forgot about that. You can eventually kill them all and set yourself up to be broke the whole game since it actually matters that the town is working for you.

The small crystals you harvest to upgrade your gear are plentiful when you first find them, then they are rare as gently caress to find after that map. Enjoy spending an hour gathering them up so you won't agonize looking for rare ingredients.

Half the game is fighting the same bunch of enemies.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Delusibeta posted:

By porting MindZero.

Hey guys? How about you convince ArcSys about a PC port of the new Guilty Gear, eh? Or how about a 999 port?

It's especially weird since from what I heard, Xrd would be rather easy to port to PC.

Ed: Yeah, it's made in UE3 so it shouldn't be a problem.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Delusibeta posted:

Aksys has seen some of the sweet, sweet PC gamer moolah that Idea Factory Ghostlight is getting, and is now going to wade into the arena.

By porting MindZero.

(Apparently, it's nowhere near as terrible as its reputation suggests, as long as you recognise that the ending is non-existant and that it's wearing its Persona influences on its sleeve. But still, there's a good number of Aksys games that I'd far rather see)

The game is actually pretty good. The English voice actors are shared with Persona in some cases and it seems like Persona fan-fiction to start, but then again Persona got the entire concept from stands in JoJo's Bizzare Adventure. I got it for $27 on a launch sale and thought it was worth the money. Steam will probably have it for $5 before long.

Here's an early dungeon from the game: (shamelessly copied from the vita thread)

Floor 1

Floor 2

(This girl sounds like Laura Bailey aka Rise)
Floor 3 +

Battle.

Orv
May 4, 2011
E: Haha nevermind, woops.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 5, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

You poor earthlings, of course I will accept the star system I am literally invading right now and that other system I have blockaded to invade next for peace.

Of course I will... :black101:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Orv posted:

I mentioned The Repopulation before to someone who was asking about games like SWG. It's still super early, but it already has the most important MMO functions down.

Pretty sweet detail on the male nipples

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Accordion Man posted:

This person is insane because handcuffing, tasering, and tear gassing people is amazing. :haw:

This. Being an rear end in a top hat beat cop is one of the best parts of the game. Randomly arresting people or launching canisters of teargas pointblank into citizen's faces is a great change from undercover triad work, and firmly cements Wei's place as worst loving cop on the force.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Dehry posted:

(This girl sounds like Laura Bailey aka Rise)

Holy poo poo, they look bored.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Mind Zero is basically the only Vita game i've actually been interested in, so i'm pretty hyped for this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, I get to put a refund request on Steam Support because I found out the hard way that my computer isn't up to speed anymore. I didn't bother looking at the Dead Rising 3 specs, but man my PC doesn't even meet the minimum specs on a lot of stuff. I haven't bother looking at the required specs on most games since generally all games have been pretty mild for the past six or seven years.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
A port of Virtue's Last Reward could probably finance the third game all on its own.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Splinter Cell Blacklist is still fantastic, but boy are some of the side missions tough. I heard that I should try Grim's missions to get cash and upgrade my plane/gear. That drat sniper at the end of the first side mission always gets me, forcing a restart of the mission. At least it's a fun game so I don't mind that much.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hilariously the best stealth gear comes from finishing the Grim side missions. Hence, you don't really need them to finish the game. I feel like they are kinda more fun to leave at the end since they don't really reference the main storyline too much. That and the character bits they sprinkle into them feel more like epilogue stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ragequit posted:

Splinter Cell Blacklist is still fantastic, but boy are some of the side missions tough. I heard that I should try Grim's missions to get cash and upgrade my plane/gear. That drat sniper at the end of the first side mission always gets me, forcing a restart of the mission. At least it's a fun game so I don't mind that much.

The sniper on the first level didn't really give me much trouble, it was that loving dog roaming the lobby that tanked most of my attempts.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The sniper on the first level didn't really give me much trouble, it was that loving dog roaming the lobby that tanked most of my attempts.

Probably helps that I am taking the dog out. Should I be trying to nail the sniper from afar? I don't care about being pure stealth.

I'll just play the campaign for now and try this stuff later.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been lazy about upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 because I remember a lot of people having problems gaming when 8.1 first came out. Are there still a lot of issues or has everything been smoothed over since then?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ragequit posted:

Probably helps that I am taking the dog out. Should I be trying to nail the sniper from afar? I don't care about being pure stealth.

I'll just play the campaign for now and try this stuff later.

Actually no, because he's one of those targets of interest. He shouldn't even be a threat to you at all anyway, just hang off the side of the pier and shimmy along past the guards.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Lester Shy posted:

I've been lazy about upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1 because I remember a lot of people having problems gaming when 8.1 first came out. Are there still a lot of issues or has everything been smoothed over since then?

I've been using 8.1 since release and have never had any problems with it, nor was I aware that that was a thing people were experiencing.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Lester Shy posted:

I jumped in 8.1 when it launched because my pc shat the bed about the same time it came out. I never had any issue, and haven't since. But there are a few things that are different, and they take some getting used to. But nothing major.

I find it does run better though.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

I've been using 8.1 on my gaming pc since it was released with no issues. It's a noticeable improvement over 8.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
It used to be that my group tab in my friends list would actually list out the players in each group if I expanded the row, now though it just takes me to the group page. When and why did they change this? It makes organizing a game so much harder!

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Lester Shy posted:

I've never had an issue, and as far as I know the issues people were having were smoothed out ages ago. I'd highly suggest jumping on it, as 8.1 is a big improvement over 8.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I don't really notice the difference between 8 and 8.1 because I use startisback.

Heck I barely even notice the difference between windows 7 and windows 8 anymore, because startisback is just that useful. Though, to be honest, just download launchy and never use the start menu again.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
A windows update a couple weeks back caused a terrible hard drive error on my system (bluescreening before even booting to desktop) that could only be fixed by reformatting (losing all of my game saves, Dark Souls 2, Remember Me, and Rogue Legacy being the important ones, in the process) but that might have happened on windows 8 as well as 8.1 because Microsoft.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

AngryBooch posted:

A windows update a couple weeks back caused a terrible hard drive error on my system (bluescreening before even booting to desktop) that could only be fixed by reformatting (losing all of my game saves, Dark Souls 2, Remember Me, and Rogue Legacy being the important ones, in the process) but that might have happened on windows 8 as well as 8.1 because Microsoft.

I had the same problem, but I just popped in my windows 8.1 disk and did a recovery, and it booted with no issues and I didn't have to format.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So Space Run is on sale for -40% off ($9). Pretty good price if you like Tower Defense games. I've done a longer writeup on it before but :effort: in finding it.

Basically you own a hex-grid based ship (that changes/gets bigger as you progress) where you place turrets, shield generators, missle launchers/point defense, thrusters, etc. You're automatically moving across the screen trying to reach the end on time (and there are different rankings for getting there faster). There's a ton of upgrades (you earn credits at the end of each mission to spend on upgrades), lot of different strategies you can do and just really fun all around. Probably my second favorite TD after Defender Quest

Probably the only major flaw is it still suffers from pre-knowledge. I.e. once you know which direction the boss is going to spawn (and there are indicators, but sometiems you may want to build yourself with most weapons facing the boss from the getgo), the game is much easier the second round. Or you can abuse knowing that no enemies are going to spawn from [X] direction to maximize credits by using thrusters instead.

Of course Defense Grid 2 comes out soon... soooooooooooo

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 5, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Splinter Cell Conviction, I thought it was a pretty cool Jack Bauer game. I don't know that i'd call it a Splinter Cell or a Sam Fisher game, but it was very 24, and there was even a mole. Blacklist is apparently a better game so I'm looking forward to picking that up whenever it's on sale, which is probably often with Ubisoft.

e: Right now you can get Dustforce and Cubetractor for 2 bucks: https://indiegamestand.com/deal/

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Conviction made Splinter Cell fans foam at the mouth, so I consider that a victory.

I actually have a friend who worked on Blacklist and he made sure you could pull of a bunch of bullshit in the levels because he kept pestering the level design team to get it in.

• Locked thread