Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If I find myself toggling airplane mode to get back onto LTE when only on 3G, is that a verizon problem or iPhone problem? Full bars of service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

If I find myself toggling airplane mode to get back onto LTE when only on 3G, is that a verizon problem or iPhone problem? Full bars of service.
Sounds like an iPhone problem.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

When do you notice this happening and how long are you waiting for it to toggle back to LTE before flipping airplane mode on and off?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Where's a good place to get an estimated market value for an iPhone? I'm selling mine to a buddy and want to get an average price. eBay completed auctions?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RhoA posted:

When do you notice this happening and how long are you waiting for it to toggle back to LTE before flipping airplane mode on and off?

When I'm on the bus, which is when I mostly use the phone. I usually don't notice it's on 3G until I wait a minute for a page to load.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

When I'm on the bus, which is when I mostly use the phone. I usually don't notice it's on 3G until I wait a minute for a page to load.

I think Endless Mike is right that it's an iPhone problem, because I can't see why the bus would keep the phone from connecting to the LTE network.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

terre packet posted:

Where's a good place to get an estimated market value for an iPhone? I'm selling mine to a buddy and want to get an average price. eBay completed auctions?

People usually recommend Swappa. They have graphs n' poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

RhoA posted:

I think Endless Mike is right that it's an iPhone problem, because I can't see why the bus would keep the phone from connecting to the LTE network.

Well poo poo, the only free time I have to go to the Apple Store is this weekend and my car is broke. Guess I'm figuring out that bus route too.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Protocol7 posted:

Well poo poo, the only free time I have to go to the Apple Store is this weekend and my car is broke. Guess I'm figuring out that bus route too.
I think he means "iPhone problem" in the sense that's it's a issue with all iPhones. I live in a lovely coverage area but I'll often have to flip airplane mode to re-establish a 4G connection that is lagging.

I think it's just a combination of your particular route / coverage area and how the iPhone handles the service.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
In the realm of network issues, on ATT on the train, LTE will refuse to work even with 3-5 bars of signal. Won't even download/stream a song, photo, or website. When I turn off LTE in favor of 4G, everything loads fine. This is also corroborated by a dead <1Mbps speed test with LTE on, but a normal ~5Mbps speedtest with 4G on.

Could it be a physical chip issue with my phone, or is it just a feature of my city? I cannot reproduce the issue at all times, for instance at an Apple store, because LTE usually returns to its advertised ~30Mbps speed outside of the city center or when I'm not travelling.

I use Mark The Spot with ATT, not that that will result in anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's an iMessage issue. It happens to MY GIRLFRIEND all the time and I dunno what causes it but I blame her since she's technologically challenged and I've never had it happen to me.

Last page but I have the exact same issue with my gf. I blame it on the ridiculous amount of linked iCloud devices and accounts she has.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I think he means "iPhone problem" in the sense that's it's a issue with all iPhones. I live in a lovely coverage area but I'll often have to flip airplane mode to re-establish a 4G connection that is lagging.

I think it's just a combination of your particular route / coverage area and how the iPhone handles the service.

Yeah, sorry, meant to say a global issue with all iPhones. I've never tried flipping to airplane mode to force it to connect with LTE whenever I've had the problem though, I always just ended up resetting the phone.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Michael Scott posted:

In the realm of network issues, on ATT on the train, LTE will refuse to work even with 3-5 bars of signal. Won't even download/stream a song, photo, or website. When I turn off LTE in favor of 4G, everything loads fine. This is also corroborated by a dead <1Mbps speed test with LTE on, but a normal ~5Mbps speedtest with 4G on.

Could it be a physical chip issue with my phone, or is it just a feature of my city? I cannot reproduce the issue at all times, for instance at an Apple store, because LTE usually returns to its advertised ~30Mbps speed outside of the city center or when I'm not travelling.

Sounds like network congestion to me. I work at a theme park and I get the exact results you describe on days with higher attendance.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

MrNonacho posted:

Sounds like network congestion to me. I work at a theme park and I get the exact results you describe on days with higher attendance.

Figured as much. Sucks that $100/mo doesn't get you enough of a connection to stream some loving music in TYOOL 2015. I've heard Verizon is better in my city but I'm on a family plan so it wouldn't really make sense for me to break off.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Michael Scott posted:

Figured as much. Sucks that $100/mo doesn't get you enough of a connection to stream some loving music in TYOOL 2015. I've heard Verizon is better in my city but I'm on a family plan so it wouldn't really make sense for me to break off.
You can't stream music with 5Mbps?

I stream Spotify on EDGE when I'm driving through the boonies.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There's a difference between having coverage and those cell towers actually having a ton of bandwidth available.

Back haul upgrades are just as important if not more important than adding towers to the network.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You can't stream music with 5Mbps?

I can, but I have to manually switch LTE off when in congested areas or during rush hour times to be able to use data at all. It feels stupid as hell to have to do that on an $800 smartphone.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Alternatively you could only flip LTE on when you need the extra bandwidth. Also it's been said numerous times that its a service congestion issue. It happens regardless of how much your phone happens to cost. If you have an issue with it take it up with your cell provider or switch companies.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Butt Savage posted:

People usually recommend Swappa. They have graphs n' poo poo.

That's perfect. Thanks!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does OSX Photos no longer have a "Delete after Import" option? I just backed up to my Mac from my 5S but it looks like all the photos are still being stored on my phone :confused:

(Crosspost from the OSX software thread)

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
The whole iCloud Photos thing is kind of a mess at the moment. Mine hasn't updated in weeks -- the photos just won't upload. My phone says "uploading 181 items" and there is no progress bar. I keep getting notifications on my iPhone telling me that my photos haven't been backed up in 22 days and to connect to wifi to backup, but I'm always on wifi and it does nothing. It just sits there looking like this:

Photos in OS X says "updated just now" but the last photos I see there are from last month. It's just a beta I guess. Hopefully this will be fixed in the final version.

Anyway you can't delete your photos off your iPhone if you're using iCloud Photo Library or they'll be deleted from iCloud. That's probably why the option is no longer available.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I've just given up on the iCloud photo sharing thing and turned it off. It's broken as hell.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Something bad happened to my iphone today, and I need help figuring out how to fix it. In the middle of the day I noticed that my phone was having issues with text messages. It would just lag on "sending message", and I would also stop receiving messages. If I restarted the phone, it would fix it temporarily, but would go back to not working within 1-2 minutes. I reset the network settings which did not help. Then I noticed that my 64 gigabyte phone was at 100% capacity, and I started getting warning for full storage. I plugged it into itunes, and suddenly I have 42gigs of "other" space filled up. I don't remember the last time I checked the space, but suffice to say it was no where near full.

I read that if you never delete your text messages it could cause issues. I have text messages dating back from about a year ago, so I attempted to start deleting them. I then found my phone is unable to delete the text messages. It will appear to delete them successfully, nut no space will be be refilled on my phone, and when I restart the phone, all the text messages I deleted are restored. I tried deleting some apps to gain back a small amount room of as well, and even if I do this I gain back no storage space, and my phone stay at 100% of the max storage space used.

Anyone have any insight on what is going on here and how I can fix it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The easiest way to fix is probably going to be to restore it. Do an encrypted backup in iTunes before, then run through the restore process. It may have done what mine did recently and decide that all the music on your phone isn't music and shunt it off to unusable "other" space.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
It says I have backup to Icloud from March 18th, but the option to restore from backup is greyed out. When I go to make a backup on my computer I just get an error message saying "iphone cannot be backed up because the iphone disconnected".

Edit: Screw it. I just did a factory reset. Then restored from Icloud after

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 4, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Maybe I'm blind but is there really no way to sort photos in a shared photostream? My wife and I want to add honeymoon pics from both our phones, but we'd prefer to be able to view the whole batch chronologically.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Any speculation as to what may be in iphone 6s?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rear end Catchcum posted:

A9 processor, quad core? Samsung is making them. 2GB RAM, 32GB flash storage base model, OIS in the non-plus model. Maybe a 1080p display on the non-plus model, but that would probably necessitate a higher capacity battery, and who knows if all of that is in the cards. This is all probably more in line with a 2016 iPhone laundry list. I'm not expecting force touch to show up on the iPhone until next year, but depending on how long they've been sitting on it, maybe.

enojy fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 5, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It'll have some bullshit no one will care for until it's on an iPhone like no front home button and instead has the entire slab act as a scanner with force touch or something

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's apparently going to be called the iPhone 7.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Bottom Liner posted:

It's apparently going to be called the iPhone 7.

Holy poo poo.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

I really hope that they don't switch to USB-C for charging and syncing with the next iPhone, but this is Apple, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm sure Apple will deliberately leave out important features, so you should probably wait until the iPhone 7.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I hope the rumors of a 6c are true. I just don't want a bigger phone than my 5s.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They're going all in on the Apple Watch so the 6S won't have the time or a clock app.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobfather posted:

I hope the rumors of a 6c are true. I just don't want a bigger phone than my 5s.
If they're true, why would you upgrade, since the rumors are that it'll be a 5s in plastic?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Endless Mike posted:

If they're true, why would you upgrade, since the rumors are that it'll be a 5s in plastic?

Obviously I wouldn't buy a 6c unless it were a tangible upgrade. I'm saying I hope Apple makes an A8 or A9 powered 4" iPhone, is all.

Edit: although the A7 is no slouch compared to the A8.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RhoA posted:

I really hope that they don't switch to USB-C for charging and syncing with the next iPhone, but this is Apple, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Doubt it, too big for mobile devices imo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bobfather posted:

Obviously I wouldn't buy a 6c unless it were a tangible upgrade. I'm saying I hope Apple makes an A8 or A9 powered 4" iPhone, is all.

Edit: although the A7 is no slouch compared to the A8.

They won't, at least for another year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They're going all in on the Apple Watch so the 6S won't have the time or a clock app.

iOS9 removes clock.app from all iPhones. :haw: