Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Pararoid posted:

So this is finally getting some coverage in national news: http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/health/chch-mental-health-funding-slashed-despite-overwhelming-demand/

As someone who has been the primary supporter of a family member who was among the 100% increase in suicide related incidents, I can tell you first hand that the safety net is almost utterly non-existent. It's actually quite difficult for me to go into specifics, but I felt entirely let down.

I know 14 year old kids with PTSD; and apparently 1 in 5 kids here suffer in similar ways.

And then you see this:

I'm mad.

Funding across the board is horrible. We waited a year for consults & tests to confirm what my partner had, which is what we thought it was anyway. She was rejected for consults, put on the waiting list, upgraded to semi-urgent and then urgent after multiple ED trips. That's in addition to her PTSD/Anxiety, and tbh while I probably should avail myself of some of this mental health stuff I don't really see a point where there's already not enough to go around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

fong posted:

I love any sign of division in the national party~

Also Richie got NZer of the year

Probably the only prominent NZer who would let John Key get near enough to give him the award at this point

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Somfin posted:

Probably the only prominent NZer who isn't awaiting trial

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSwb4o4c4io

This is like a who's who of old tories lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

John Drinnan on Twitter: "Who would have thought come to a bunch of Lefties fighting to keep the Union Jack and Dame Jenny Shipley lambasting colonial legacies."

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Exclamation Marx posted:

My favourite bit is the Vietnam vet who says 'I fought for the country and my mates, not for the flag', it sounds like a defense of the status quo more than anything else.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Tinkly background music is like the #1 sign that something is evil

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

National party campaigning is so clichéd at this point. It's like their answer to everything is "more rugby"

http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/dan-carter-joins-campaign-to-change-flag-2016021808#axzz40ABybdsT

quote:

Rugby World Cup hero Dan Carter is trying to boot the current New Zealand flag into touch after backing the campaign to replace it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Exclamation Marx posted:

This is the video that dares to posit that we need to discard the Union Jack as a relic of the colonial age while glossing over the question of discarding our actual very real status as a colony, then dares to ask what is more "independently" and "authentically" New Zealand than the Southern Cross, a motif shared with four other countries that is so rooted in the colonial age that it's been used a sobriquet for the colonists of those countries.

Come on New Zealand, let's put a band-aid shaped like a Silver Fern on our flag so we can feel better about the fact that the poo poo bitter fruit that are the failures of the last decade of governance are finally beginning to bud.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Varkk posted:

John Drinnan on Twitter: "Who would have thought come to a bunch of Lefties fighting to keep the Union Jack and Dame Jenny Shipley lambasting colonial legacies."

Can someone explain this sentence to me because I don't understand it at all

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

Can someone explain this sentence to me because I don't understand it at all

He is saying that it's ironic that left-wingers, who are usually anti-imperialists, are supporting the ensign with the Union Jack over a new flag; and that it is also ironic that Dame Jenny Shipley, former National party leader, Prime Minister, and right-winger, is supporting a change away from the current flag because of its "colonial legacy".

He isn't wrong.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It really doesn't seem to be a particularly partisan thing, I have lefty friends holding opinions across the board on it. There are lots and lots of reasons to support or resist the flag change

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thanks

also when did shipley become a dame

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Isn't the silver fern a relic of our colonial past anyway? Didn't the British pick it as the plant to symbolize this country?

kaiwero fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2016

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Yes, if you wanted a plant to symbolise the Maori heritage the koru spiral would be a better choice. Also the star formation which meant something to Maori would be Matariki.
Basically the new flag design is still colonial poo poo.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
If we change now, we will have that "brand" (ugh) for a long long time. If we vote to stay with the current flag, we could do it again next year, but get a good alternative instead.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

klen dool posted:

If we change now, we will have that "brand" (ugh) for a long long time. If we vote to stay with the current flag, we could do it again next year, but get a good alternative instead.

We really couldn't. Key got away with everything from lying to sexual assault without a dent in his popularity and this is what hosed him. No politician will touch the flag issue in the next 200 years.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Infotainment! posted:

We really couldn't. Key got away with everything from lying to sexual assault without a dent in his popularity and this is what hosed him. No politician will touch the flag issue in the next 200 years.

What makes you say Key has lost popularity over the flag?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

klen dool posted:

What makes you say Key has lost popularity over the flag?

Ten national politicians left who give a gently caress, every single flag change poll, even the loving Herald making fun of him.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Infotainment! posted:

Ten national politicians left who give a gently caress, every single flag change poll, even the loving Herald making fun of him.

Curia is showing support for keeping current flag has dropped to 55% from close to 70% a few months ago so it's not quite as clear cut as it was.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Dull breaking news..

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/top-stories/a/30863338/top-kiwi-actress-dies-suddenly/

Not to be all "Internet" but.. who?

Is she really one of our most famous actors? am I really that out of touch?

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Um, I'm going to say that yes, you are out of touch; I thought she was awesome in The Insider's Guide to Happiness. Although to be fair, her father is 'more' famous.

But you know, feel welcome to be a dick about the unexpected death of a 39 year old.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Thank you for implicitly condoning being a dick about the expected deaths of 39 year olds.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Noxin of Shame posted:

Um, I'm going to say that yes, you are out of touch; I thought she was awesome in The Insider's Guide to Happiness. Although to be fair, her father is 'more' famous.

But you know, feel welcome to be a dick about the unexpected death of a 39 year old.

I didn't know who she was either and I think you might be projecting a little hard there mate.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I didn't know who she was either and I think you might be projecting a little hard there mate.

Was IGtH the one with the girl who won the lotto and the guy who was a reincarnation of the Buddha or the one where the guy was all hosed up because he had eaten his twin in the womb?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Noxin of Shame posted:

Yeah, I'm being a dick about a comment saying one of our "greatest actors" has died unexpectedly, and then that person turning out to be someone I've never heard of.

But yeah, I have to say I honestly don't care someone I've never heard of has died.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

504 posted:

But yeah, I have to say I honestly don't care someone I've never heard of has died.

You should work on having empathy for other people, so that society can benefit from having you in it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
When you say something like "ONE OF OUR GREATEST ACTORS" and 90% of people go "Who?" They aren't one of our greatest actors.

Now if like, Anna Pacquin had died, then yeah, because people here and outside NZ know who she is.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Varkk posted:

Yes, if you wanted a plant to symbolise the Maori heritage the koru spiral would be a better choice. Also the star formation which meant something to Maori would be Matariki.
Basically the new flag design is still colonial poo poo.

This sums up my feelings on it pretty well as a leftist who doesn't support the "new" flag.

I'd love a flag change, but it's just insulting that they're trying to force-feed us what is essentially the exact same flag. "Let's just get rid of the Union Jack, that's the only problem people had with it, right?"

klen dool posted:

This is what my dad hopes, but I'm with the people that think if it doesn't change we're stuck with the old one for another century. If it does change we're stuck with the new one for another century. No good outcome here. Hopefully we're just pessimists.

Maybe if a group of dedicated people got a good flag idea, a lot of public support and pushed it through as a referendum under another government it might work. But as John Key's vanity project it was never going to be anything other than terrible.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Yeah, but if someone dies, and she is one of the countries most well known actresses (which she is), then it's ok to say that she's well known. It's not ok to say that it's dull.

mirthdefect posted:

Was IGtH the one with the girl who won the lotto and the guy who was a reincarnation of the Buddha or the one where the guy was all hosed up because he had eaten his twin in the womb?

Nah, it was the one with the haemophiliac and the ghost.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

When you say something like "ONE OF OUR GREATEST ACTORS" and 90% of people go "Who?" They aren't one of our greatest actors.

Now if like, Anna Pacquin had died, then yeah, because people here and outside NZ know who she is.

If one of our greatest authors or painters died then 90% of the population would be "who?".

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Varkk posted:

If one of our greatest authors or painters died then 90% of the population would be "who?".

Agreed because they all suck poo poo, just like our actors and musicians

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Is popularity or fame really a good measure of greatness.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Varkk posted:

Unless it was Anna Pacquin, it which case it would be "The chick with the teeth".

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Agreed because they all suck poo poo, just like our actors and musicians

Okay this is a bad opinion. We have a lot of excellent music here in NZ, and a lot of excellent musicians, and just like everywhere in the world the popular music sucks balls.

As for actors, I don't have an opinion because I don't know enough about it. I can't imagine it would be any different though, I've seen heaps of kiwi films and the actors are fine.

Note, I am not saying "plucky little Nz punches above its weight", I am saying "normal little Nz is similar to the rest of the world".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

You should work on having empathy for other people, so that society can benefit from having you in it.

Oh come on. Don't be so precious. Some random person died who happened to be an actress - random people die every day in all kinds of circumstances. It sucks for them and for everyone who knows them but if I got weepy about everyone who died I'd be unable to get out of bed in the morning. If my mother died I wouldn't expect some random cunts on the internet to feel sad for me - and I talk to you people.

e: it sucked when Bowie died, for example, but it hardly ruined my day or anything as dramatic as that and I actually like and know who Bowie is/was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah but did you link articles on his death to the internet to mention that actually he was kind of over-rated for the last couple of decades so who cares.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've never heard of her either :shrug:

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah but did you link articles on his death to the internet to mention that actually he was kind of over-rated for the last couple of decades so who cares.

If only someone had actually done this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oh come on. Don't be so precious. Some random person died who happened to be an actress - random people die every day in all kinds of circumstances. It sucks for them and for everyone who knows them but if I got weepy about everyone who died I'd be unable to get out of bed in the morning. If my mother died I wouldn't expect some random cunts on the internet to feel sad for me - and I talk to you people.

e: it sucked when Bowie died, for example, but it hardly ruined my day or anything as dramatic as that and I actually like and know who Bowie is/was.

I am not suggesting you should "get weepy" about "everyone" who died. I am suggesting that if someone mentions that "So and so died" and you literally don't care then you lack some empathy, and it would be better for everyone if you had more empathy. This attitude is how wars can start and continue.

• Locked thread