Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fister Roboto posted:

What's a good first three idea groups for Muscovy? I'm really tempted to go with Admin and/or Influence, because I've got just a poo poo ton of coring to do - Novgorod alone is 1190 base points. But that would severely delay settling Siberia and I don't want to wait too long and discover Spaniards in Kamchatka. Maybe Admin/Exploration would be better? Or Expansion/Influence? Or I could just say gently caress it to coring costs and go Exploration/Expansion.

There was super extensive discussion of opening Muscovy idea groups and strategy in this thread on July 30 and 31. May have started late on July 29. I remember because I had jury duty on those days and there were no cases, so I just sat there reading pro strats and started a super fun Muscovy --> Russia game. It's like 2-3 pages worth of Russia discussion.

e: Start on page 115 and go from there.

Here's my ending screen, you can see the idea groups I took:

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I wonder how the custom naming works with regnal numbers. If Martin 'Daneslayer''s father was Martin I, will Martin Jr. be Martin II 'Daneslayer' or Martin 'Daneslayer' I? Will it be Gustav N Adolf or Gustav Adolf N? I guess a simple solution would be to base regnal numbers on only the first name. Would that run into any problems with historical leaders of the period?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

The dirty Russian westernization trick is to get in on a Teutonic Order curbstomp and force release of Danzig, then diplo-vassalize them. Boom free Westernization at your leisure.

Idea picks on a spectrum from hardcore colonizer / conqueror:

Exploration/Influence
Religious/Admin
Quantity/Defensive
Expansion
<your pick military idea>
<maybe Trade but probably another military idea>
<game is pretty much over>

I still disagree on expansion being a good option, expansion is bad because it's an admin idea. Having both Religious and Admin is better than having Expansion and only one of the other two, just use exploration to dump those useless diplo points into your colonization. You don't need the expansion CB with Deus Vult.
Basically expansion would be on par with Religious/Admin/Exploration but it suffers from being in the admin category.

Playstyles vary tough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BBJoey posted:

I wonder how the custom naming works with regnal numbers. If Martin 'Daneslayer''s father was Martin I, will Martin Jr. be Martin II 'Daneslayer' or Martin 'Daneslayer' I? Will it be Gustav N Adolf or Gustav Adolf N? I guess a simple solution would be to base regnal numbers on only the first name. Would that run into any problems with historical leaders of the period?

Not quite the time period, but Louis Philippe of France was Louis Philippe I, not Louis XIX Philippe.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

BBJoey posted:

Yeah. The Friedrich Wilhelms of Prussia get their own numbers separate from either the Friedrichs or the Wilhelms. I'm sure there's other cases as well, plenty of double barreled names in the period.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Watched some tutorials, got a feel, gonna kick off this weekend.

Do you keep Lucky Nations on Historic or Random? I know it gives bonuses to the historically dominant nations to keep them strong and dominant in this game, but to people tend to play with the historic side, or switch to random to get some crazy Brittany controlling France shenanigans?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Not quite the time period, but Louis Philippe of France was Louis Philippe I, not Louis XIX Philippe.

skasion posted:

Yeah. The Friedrich Wilhelms of Prussia get their own numbers separate from either the Friedrichs or the Wilhelms. I'm sure there's other cases as well, plenty of double barreled names in the period.

I hope Wiz has accounted for these cases, then. It would Not Do for the Prussian kings to be represented incorrectly. :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fat Turkey posted:

Watched some tutorials, got a feel, gonna kick off this weekend.

Do you keep Lucky Nations on Historic or Random? I know it gives bonuses to the historically dominant nations to keep them strong and dominant in this game, but to people tend to play with the historic side, or switch to random to get some crazy Brittany controlling France shenanigans?

Turn it off imo. Lucky nation bonuses are Real Good and a lucky France or Ottos or whatever isn't something you want to deal with right as you're learning the ropes. It also increases the potential for wacky shenanigans because neither the big powers, as in historical, or whoever, as in random, have a magical safety net to keep them from exploding after a few bad wars.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is the Lucky modifier applying to battles? Like LOL LUCK BONUS I just rolled 10 straight 9s in a row! Or is it just a bonus to everything? How does it work?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm at admin tech 20, are there any government forms that are noticably useful?

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/popout

Wiz and DDRJake are currently streaming and showing off the new random new world.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Man, trying to prevent the Italian nations from leaving the Holy Roman Empire as Austria is driving me nuts. Florence has taken Umbria - one of the six-or-so provinces that you need - which meant that I couldn't fabricate a claim on Rome, which is another province that you need.

One no-cassus-belli war on Rome later and I've taken Rome, cored it, added it to the empire and handed it back to the Papal State because the penalties for occupying Rome are steep for a Catholic (fair enough).

However, I'm stuck with the fact that Florence still holds Umbria - they've cored it, and haven't added it to the empire despite being part of the Holy Roman Empire. Is there anything I can do to get them to add it to the empire, or do I need to attack them as well? (This will suck since they're part of a coalition against me AND they have an alliance with France)

I'm beginning to think that so many things have to go right to prevent Italy leaving the HRE that you might as well not bother.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

why even bother in the first place

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gort posted:

I'm beginning to think that so many things have to go right to prevent Italy leaving the HRE that you might as well not bother.

If you want to prevent Italy leaving the HRE, you need to do so asap before the minors grab pope land. Venice generally won't lose land to it's neighbors for a while, so your first priority should be murdering the pope.

And yes, HRE members will not add land to the HRE unless they're Emperor. So you'll need to murder Florence. If France isn't in the coalition, you can declare on someone else in the coalition to dodge them getting called in though.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jastiger posted:

Is the Lucky modifier applying to battles? Like LOL LUCK BONUS I just rolled 10 straight 9s in a row! Or is it just a bonus to everything? How does it work?

From the wiki:

quote:

Lucky nation rulers have a bonus of +1[1] to their administrative, diplomatic and military skills. Additionally the following bonuses[2]:
+10% Global trade power
+5% Settler chance
+1% Missionary strength
+5% Spy offense
−10% Stability cost modifier
+10% Fort defense
+5% Siege ability
+1 Possible advisors
+25% Chance of new heir
−1 National unrest
+1 Yearly legitimacy
+0.5 Yearly republican tradition
−1 Interest per annum
−25% Mercenary cost
+33% Manpower recovery speed
+25% Improve relations
+1 Monthly fervor
+25% Church power
−25% Aggressive expansion impact

It's supposedly only +1 to monarch skills, but the end result is they'll always have great monarchs, which means they always have at least one great military leader, which does translate into higher dice rolls.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Despite the name, Lucky Nations do not get to cheat on die rolls. At least not in battle, I think there are a few nasty events that have lower chance to fire for Lucky Nations. Mostly it's just bonuses to lots of stuff: -1 national unrest, +1 yearly legitimacy, +33% manpower recovery speed, etc. The full list is here. The bonuses are actually toned down a bit these days. They used to get +1 to the shock and fire score of all their generals and I think also a bonus to moral, these days their bonuses at least does not give them a direct advantage on the battlefield.

Drakhoran fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 9, 2015

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
Espionage has new actions to raise liberty desire for a subject and to study technology which can give more monarch points. Also the hansa is gone and lübeck, bremen and hamburg are now independent at the start.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Gonna play as some Indonesian nation and go espionage first to steal tech from one of the Random New World's colonizing High American empires.

Also by far the best feature they mentioned on the stream was an icon appearing on provinces if a battle is going to occur, you don't have to hover over arrival dates anymore to see if you're going to cut someones escape off.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sorced posted:

Espionage has new actions to raise liberty desire for a subject and to study technology which can give more monarch points. Also the hansa is gone and lübeck, bremen and hamburg are now independent at the start.

This owns. Hamburg is probably my favourite HRE OPM. I wonder if Lubeck is going to get new NIs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sorced posted:

Where is this from? That sounds great!

Tendronai posted:

Also by far the best feature they mentioned on the stream was an icon appearing on provinces if a battle is going to occur, you don't have to hover over arrival dates anymore to see if you're going to cut someones escape off.
:flashfap:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

It's from the stream Jake and Wiz just did, studying tech comes from espionage 5 and the liberty desire is 6.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's going to be really annoying if Hamburg and Lubeck are always picked as the 7th free city by the AI (they probably will be). It would make playing as the selected Free City freaking awesome though.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Tendronai posted:

It's from the stream Jake and Wiz just did, studying tech comes from espionage 5 and the liberty desire is 6.

Have only those two been added or are there more additions? I've been hoping for a useful espionage tree for quite some timenow and while tech spying and independence inciting sounds nice I'd really like them to redo the whole thing.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The Hansa was one of the most fun games of EU4 I ever played, sad to see them go

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Tendronai posted:

Sorced posted:

Also the hansa is gone and lübeck, bremen and hamburg are now independent at the start.

1.14 sounds amazing.

Larry Parrish posted:

It's going to be really annoying if Hamburg and Lubeck are always picked as the 7th free city by the AI (they probably will be). It would make playing as the selected Free City freaking awesome though.

They absolutely should be. And the Emperor shouldn't be allowed to attack Free Cities either probably.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

1.14 sounds amazing.

They absolutely should be. And the Emperor shouldn't be allowed to attack Free Cities either probably.

He already isn't, you can only get dragged into war with a free city.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's funny how becoming the HRE is less about protecting the princes and more about conquering as many as possible now that there's no pesky unlawful territory modifers to worry about. Especially if you go the full mile and vassalize 4 electors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

skasion posted:

He already isn't, you can only get dragged into war with a free city.

Hmm, maybe I'm getting confused with how often Austria loses the Imperial crown then. I'm so damned sick of Austria conquering their way through southern Germany to connect their halves, when Switzerland is more than happy to give them access.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I hope that with the new random new world I'll be able to play the Crimson Empire or other fantasy options in Ironman mode and get silly achievements for them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
The canal change is a long time coming, even though I never get to the stage in the game where I can afford them anymore.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Roadie posted:

I hope that with the new random new world I'll be able to play the Crimson Empire or other fantasy options in Ironman mode and get silly achievements for them.

My impression was that you could play ironman with any setup you wanted, (easy, mods, custom nation) but you can only get achievements with the standard historical start/rules (lucky nations on etc).

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

My impression was that you could play ironman with any setup you wanted, (easy, mods, custom nation) but you can only get achievements with the standard historical start/rules (lucky nations on etc).

You can get achievements with RNW, just not new world specific ones. There are also some Nation Designer achievements coming in 1.14. Since you can pre-generate the RNW you can in fact play with the Crimson Empire if you roll them, and get some generic achievements with them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wiz posted:

You can get achievements with RNW, just not new world specific ones. There are also some Nation Designer achievements coming in 1.14. Since you can pre-generate the RNW you can in fact play with the Crimson Empire if you roll them, and get some generic achievements with them.

Aww, you guys should at least add some amusing/stupid ones for RNW-specific content.

Higher American: As the Crimson Empire, own and have cores on (the provinces that include the locations of Mount Everest, K2, and Tirich Mir).

Crimson Permanent Assurance: As the Crimson Empire, control 90% of the trade power in the English Channel trade node using privateers.

Denmark's Greatest Secrets Revealed: As Secret Denmark, own and have cores on all of Denmark.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 9, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Will we be able to alt-tab/cmd-tab on a Mac in 1.14? A guy can dream...

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Star posted:

Have only those two been added or are there more additions? I've been hoping for a useful espionage tree for quite some timenow and while tech spying and independence inciting sounds nice I'd really like them to redo the whole thing.

I disagree. It's not gonna turn it into a game winning idea group, but Espionage already had some fairly cool things and this definitely seems like Good Enough to me. Being able to flip a vassal of your choosing to (presumably) disloyal on a whim and effectively nullify them in any war sounds incredibly useful on its own, and then there are free monarch points and another diplomat?

The issue I think is that getting caught with espionage actions is still all based around spy offence/ defense, which is way too random and hard to manipulate to build proper strategies around. The ideas themselves sound alright now.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Koramei posted:

I disagree. It's not gonna turn it into a game winning idea group, but Espionage already had some fairly cool things and this definitely seems like Good Enough to me. Being able to flip a vassal of your choosing to (presumably) disloyal on a whim and effectively nullify them in any war sounds incredibly useful on its own, and then there are free monarch points and another diplomat?

The issue I think is that getting caught with espionage actions is still all based around spy offence/ defense, which is way too random and hard to manipulate to build proper strategies around. The ideas themselves sound alright now.

I just don't see the point in several of the ideas, even if two of them are remade into something decent. Embargo/privateer efficiency, national spy defense, extra diplomat and spy offense along with less covert action relation impact aren't that great. The extra diplomat is nice but you already get one as part of the government form bonus and it's still a couple of ideas into the group, and the embargo/privateering bonus is negligible in the long run. I'd much rather see them replaced with stuff that is useful in wars, such as increase opponents war exhaustion or something similar.

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Is there a guide floating around about what to do when elected Emperor as a non-HRE country? I just got it as Italy and I'm delighted (not least because achievement) but I'm a bit non-plussed now. Should I be going through the reforms, or trying to enforce religious unity, or trying to screw over Austria as much as possible, or...

I dunno. Treating it like a bunch of free bonuses and carrying on as if nothing happened?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Star posted:

I just don't see the point in several of the ideas, even if two of them are remade into something decent. Embargo/privateer efficiency, national spy defense, extra diplomat and spy offense along with less covert action relation impact aren't that great. The extra diplomat is nice but you already get one as part of the government form bonus and it's still a couple of ideas into the group, and the embargo/privateering bonus is negligible in the long run. I'd much rather see them replaced with stuff that is useful in wars, such as increase opponents war exhaustion or something similar.

Embargo and Privateering (as well as supporting rebels) increase Power Projection. I haven't tried Espionage in forever but if the bonuses were large enough so you could keep up above 50 PP that would make it pretty great.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

YoSaff posted:

Is there a guide floating around about what to do when elected Emperor as a non-HRE country? I just got it as Italy and I'm delighted (not least because achievement) but I'm a bit non-plussed now. Should I be going through the reforms, or trying to enforce religious unity, or trying to screw over Austria as much as possible, or...

I dunno. Treating it like a bunch of free bonuses and carrying on as if nothing happened?

Up to you. Post a map with religious map maybe? If the HRE is really divided religiously and a mess it might not be worthwhile to spend a lot of energy on it.

However, since you're now Emperor, you can add your provinces to the HRE and it's probably a good idea to add your capital provinces so you're a permanent member. At the very least you can then enjoy the benefits.

A screenshot with the HRE window (showing reforms and such) along with a religious view of the HRE would help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Star posted:

Yeah of course a few of the ideas are pretty much worthless (although I disagree about which ones), but that's the case with nearly every idea group. There's some genuinely good stuff in there now to balance it out.

• Locked thread