Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

deadly_pudding posted:

...is it? I thought it was just supposed to be Dan's Game Genie that hacks invincibility into you. I'm pretty sure it's a Super Sonic/Super Saiyan joke.

It's both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

deadly_pudding posted:

...is it? I thought it was just supposed to be Dan's Game Genie that hacks invincibility into you. I'm pretty sure it's a Super Sonic/Super Saiyan joke.

it's both.

Dan made a Musou game where the main character is invincible, is the joke.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Musou is a term for games in general where you can plow through enemies unopposed. Dynasty Warriors is a big example, but Hyper Muteki isn't a reference to that specific franchise.

Edit is not quote

Ignis fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 19, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ignis posted:

Musou is a term for games in general where you can plow through enemies unopposed. Dynasty Warriors is a big example, but Hyper Muteki isn't a reference to that specific franchise.

edit: I'm just confused because the franchise is called Musou in Japan, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warriors_video_games

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

My issue with Excite's take there is that , while it's not wrong, it's hella misleading - for many of the people watching, Musou is a term linked very specifically to the Dynasty Warriors franchise, but that franchise certainly didn't coin the term. The word musou can apply to many games, like for example Wario Land can count as a musou

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They've only gone for direct references in the movies so they probably did mean the genre of the same name. Most commonly associated non-licensed incarnations like DW itself and Basara tend to play on history afaik though.

e: and a decent number of those dudes have crazy hair so that plus gold/star for invincibility makes sense to me. Dunno if that's the actual design intent though.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

More important than my ill-informed speculation
https://twitter.com/42WV_/status/897662445581471744

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Motto posted:

More important than my ill-informed speculation
https://twitter.com/42WV_/status/897662445581471744

World's ruler, Dan Masamune being the best dad to his son, Dangerous Zombie.

On that note, KR Wiki has some translations for the new songs, including both father and son here. I'm not sure how good they are though, nor where they came from. Meanwhile, MachSubs made a MV with Time of Victory, subs included, though the same applies there.

Kamen Rider songs make me wish I knew Japanese, basically. I wonder if Dan Kuroto God could make a Gashat that instantly taught someone Japanese. Educational games do exist...

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 19, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Broken Loose posted:

edit: I'm just confused because the franchise is called Musou in Japan, right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Warriors_video_games

It's also the name of the genre. The Warriors games are the most common, well known, and franchisiest but anything with the same shape can be called musou or musou-like (e.g. Tales of the Heroes: Twin Brave).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I honestly can't think of one earlier than DW2 that's what we think of as a musou today.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Let's be real, the real reason is "because it looks rad".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SOARERLIMITED2/status/898433514789412864

Poor Ex-Aid's lost his head :ohdear:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's just a 1-up pickup.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mikeycp posted:

I honestly can't think of one earlier than DW2 that's what we think of as a musou today.

Yeah, musou games aren't just limited to Koei's offerings, but let's not pretend that they didn't basically invent the genre.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, musou games aren't just limited to Koei's offerings, but let's not pretend that they didn't basically invent the genre.

Yeah. I might even say that the Basara games surpassed Koei's stuff, but afaik DW2 was pretty much the Dragon Quest of the musou genre.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm very glad that Ex-Aid isn't even trying to pretend that Taiga isn't totally Black Jack.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm amazed with all this Musou talk and no one has brought up that Kamen Rider has had several games in that genre(honestly I'm surprised they haven't announced a new one yet)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

drrockso20 posted:

I'm amazed with all this Musou talk and no one has brought up that Kamen Rider has had several games in that genre(honestly I'm surprised they haven't announced a new one yet)

From what I've heard they're kinda mediocre.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I've seen video and they usually seem kind of...stiff, a little unpolished I guess? The maps themselves also usually look pretty small.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They're cheap musou.

for all that people complain about Koei-Tecmo's Musou stuff they actually have the formula really refined and while they screw up they tend to make games that look pretty good, play well and are generally at worst mediocre with a few stinkers. Because they dominate the genre it's a lot harder to notice that they're actually pretty good at it and most attempts to cash in are a lot crappier. The Kamen Rider stuff is like playable-but-boring.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah the Kamen Rider ones aren't great, especially for how much they would cost to import.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Yeah I usually hold up Dynasty Warriors as a series that does iterative games correctly. Excluding some outliers like 6, every iteration of Dynasty Warriors takes the stuff that worked from the previous game, refines it a little, and adds new features to see if they work. On the outside every game looks the same to someone who isn't paying attention, but if you've played them since like 4 like I have you can notice they've gotten better and better each time as they work out what works and what doesn't work.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah. I'l even working on a video series right now to explore exactly what changes and improvements/faults each new game introduces. It's gonna be fun to make.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I thought Battride War Genesis was perfectly fine for the most part

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The wii/ps2/psp fighters were amusingly janky as long as you weren't putting down money at least.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Motto posted:

The wii/ps2/psp fighters were amusingly janky as long as you weren't putting down money at least.

and the fourze one gave us endless play

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Motto posted:

I liked how they all had one very unexpected clone of a character as a secret. It let us see W CycloneAccelXtreme in action!

If we got one for Ex-Aid, it'd probably have Taiga as Cronus. Grab Cronus, give him some Gashacon Weapon-using moves from the others (or just from Snipe) and bam, new character.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I took a break from Rider so maybe ghost didn't do this, but I appreciate that Build's starting right after ex aid ends proper without any weird epilogues or crossover sidestories.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Motto posted:

I took a break from Rider so maybe ghost didn't do this, but I appreciate that Build's starting right after ex aid ends proper without any weird epilogues or crossover sidestories.

Ghost did it. Even weirder, in the middle of the proper final episode before that Kamen Rider Genm shows up for absolutely no reason, pulls out the Shakariki Sports bike, beats up a crowd of Ganma, and leaves, to Alain and Makoto's utter confusion. Not precisely sure why Dan Kuroto would have done this...

EDIT: Dan then showed up in the next episode, crushed Specter and Necrom (mind you, a stiff breeze could given those two's track records) and did some other random stuff I'd have to rewatch the episode to remember and uh... no. Ex-Aid also showed up for reasons.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 20, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gourdcaptain posted:

Ghost did it. Even weirder, in the middle of the proper final episode before that Kamen Rider Genm shows up for absolutely no reason, pulls out the Shakariki Sports bike, beats up a crowd of Ganma, and leaves, to Alain and Makoto's utter confusion. Not precisely sure why Dan Kuroto would have done this...

it's because he's the true protagonist of ex-aid

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SHIN Dan Kuroto does whatever he wants.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

SHIN Dan Kuroto does whatever he wants.

True. :P

Also, that final episode (I rewatched it, darnit *sigh*, although at double speed) has Genm randomly losing Shakariki Sports to a mysterious kid who claims it has the "Power to Change The World" (of all possible gashats, why Shakariki Sports?) and Ex-Aid showing up to claim it claiming "I need it to save the world" and he'll use it to "change fate". And then Genm just steals it back effortlessly, because Dan is awesome like that.

So uh, I don't know if the Ghost writer was working off an old version of the series bible, bad, really liked bikes, or all of the above here.

EDIT: Also, mysterious kid then vanishes and Takeru claims they'll see him again. So far, and with a very high likelyhood of no major Ghost appearances again, uh, no, no we won't.
EDIT2: ...according to a wiki, he's Takeru's son from the future from a stageplay who's the next Kamen Rider Ghost. Okay then.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 20, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like Dan having the same thing done to him that he did to those two idiots.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

EDIT2: ...according to a wiki, he's Takeru's son from the future from a stageplay who's the next Kamen Rider Ghost. Okay then.

I find it laudable that Fukuda Takuro wanted to use every single side material as means to expand the story, but Ayumu's explanation being on the bloody Ghost final stage show, of all things... that's...

Well

I retroactively hate Ghost more now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Tytoalbamazon/status/898898058225659905

Zero really is my favorite Ultra :allears:

(ps I've been watching KR Ghost lately and I'm ten episodes in, and... the writing is not great but it makes up for that by being immensely charming with every character being someone fun to watch, the suit designs are great, and basically the story is going to have to be amazingly bad in order to make me regret watching this, as it's already my favorite of the modern KRs so far.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

(ps I've been watching KR Ghost lately and I'm ten episodes in, and... the writing is not great but it makes up for that by being immensely charming with every character being someone fun to watch, the suit designs are great, and basically the story is going to have to be amazingly bad in order to make me regret watching this, as it's already my favorite of the modern KRs so far.)
Please save this post. I'm curious what your view on it will be thirty episodes from now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Motto posted:

Ex-Aid 44 and Movie Spoilers: Build showed up out of nowhere in 44 and attacked Dan/Genm, thinking he was Ex-Aid. He even killed him on accident, which is a Dan-exclusive gift of a gag that keeps on giving. I don't know if he'll show up again in 45 since he shows up and successfully steals Ex-Aid's power at the very end of the True Ending movie... Which takes place a year after the actual ending so I have no loving clue what Build is supposed to have been doing during that time, or what he is doing here at all.

Crossovers need to stop happening during canon episodes if they're not going to try to make sense. At least the Drive/Ghost episode make some sense and then Ghost just kind of had the Newton eyecon in-series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
build happens in a post-apocalyptic setting so why the heck is he showing up in another show at all?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

build happens in a post-apocalyptic setting so why the heck is he showing up in another show at all?

Post-apocalyptic settings get really stressful, maybe he just needed to play a game or two to calm down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Depends if he gets turned into Build prior to Pandora's Box going off.

• Locked thread