Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

quote:

Opinion 'One Jewish Life Is Worth More Than 10,000 non-Jews': Why More U.S. Jews Will Walk Off Birthright This Summer
My Birthright guide's supremacist stance was extreme. But the program's claim to be 'apolitical' is not only demonstrably untrue; it frames every critical, inquisitive Jewish millennial who wants to meet Palestinians as Israel-haters

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-why-more-u-s-jews-will-walk-off-birthright-this-summer-1.6269655

(It's paywalled but if you register you can read a few articles for free - can't remember how many).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-why-more-u-s-jews-will-walk-off-birthright-this-summer-1.6269655

(It's paywalled but if you register you can read a few articles for free - can't remember how many).

5, iirc. Try in incognito mode, that sometimes fixes that?

When will people understand that nothing is apolitical? Ugh. Birthright is the worst.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

5, iirc. Try in incognito mode, that sometimes fixes that?

Yes that works on New Statesman :D

Deleting cookies also works sometimes but not always!

Haven't tried on Haaretz because I have about 10 different email address logins on that from 2014 'war'.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

had to double take on this being the official foreign ministry account. starting to suspect agent provocateurs...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lollontee posted:

had to double take on this being the official foreign ministry account. starting to suspect agent provocateurs...
I mean the IDF account basically called protesting children weapons back during the heavier Gaza protests in May

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean the IDF account basically called protesting children weapons back during the heavier Gaza protests in May

I wanna see their take on that emoji.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
hmmmm, how do you stop the pesky Gazans protesting? How about making things worse?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2018/07/punishment-israel-blocks-fuel-shipment-gaza-180717073507536.html

Is this an attempt to stop the :siren: terror kites :siren: ?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

starkebn posted:

hmmmm, how do you stop the pesky Gazans protesting? How about making things worse?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2018/07/punishment-israel-blocks-fuel-shipment-gaza-180717073507536.html

Is this an attempt to stop the :siren: terror kites :siren: ?

There's also been a big back-and-forth rampup in the Gazan rockets and Israeli airstrikes, too. And four IDF soldiers were lightly injured by a Gazan rocket the other day, which is the first time in several years that any Israeli has been physically harmed by rocket fire. Bibi is also facing a lot of pressure from the right, and is currently forging ahead on the nation-state bill, so I'm sure he welcomes the distraction.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/noa_landau/status/1019730801452371968

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Congrats on the official apartheid state

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The bill also calls for expansion of settlements as a national goal.

Looks like BDS has forced Israel to officially become a racist terror state. Those dastardly lefties!

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 19, 2018

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Orange Devil posted:

The bill also calls for expansion of settlements as a national goal.

They've been loudly yelling this from every available rooftop for the past 90 years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i hate that i was ever a pro-israel idiot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Miftan posted:

They've been loudly yelling this from every available rooftop for the past 90 years.
Right, and more importantly, doing it

A lot of what is in this bill seems to codify in Israeli law things that their government has been doing for ages. I just think that Bibi is pushing this now to distract from his multiple scandals, as well as because they can get away with something egregious like this with Trump in office.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's just the usual routine of Netanyahu facing pressure from the right and immediately giving in to everything the fringe parties demand because it's the only way he can hold the coalition together, while their demands get more and more extreme because they've learned that he'll give them anything they want if they just push a little.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Groovelord Neato posted:

i hate that i was ever a pro-israel idiot.

Take solace in the fact that if you can change your mind, so can other people

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Take solace in the fact that if you can change your mind, so can other people

Yeah! It is our combined efforts that will convince, god willing, the people who own everything that israel is indeed the good guys.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Don't the courts usually knock these bills down?

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Don't the courts usually knock these bills down?

I'm not an expert in Israeli law so correct me if I'm wrong, but this is an amendment to the Basic Laws which are essentially Israel's constitution. I don't think there's much chance of this being struck down; rather, it will be used as a legal justification for the policies that Israel has been pursuing all along.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
And on that note, the Knesset also passed a jurisdictional change so that legal challenges and petitions from the West Bank (i.e., Palestinians) no longer go to the High Court. They will now go to the Jerusalem District Court, which is widely thought to be more settler-friendly. While it will still be possible to appeal the district court's rulings to the Supreme Court, the extra hurdle will significantly slow those cases' progress through the system (as well as making them more expensive to pursue). It's also regarded as another baby step toward effective annexation by extending the jurisdiction of normal courts over the West Bank.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I can understand a country founded on X wanting to keep X a crucial part of that country, but instead of passing laws how about just stop forcefully taking over areas filled with people who follow Y?

I can't believe they had the gull to include building settlements as part of their national goals.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's more that the bill basically produces two types of citizens. Those who have all their rights, and those who don't. How the Jewish Diaspora doesn't see the irony in this, I don't know, but the extremely right-wing lunatics in charge of Israel seem to think it's a vote-winner so there you go.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

It's more that the bill basically produces two types of citizens. Those who have all their rights, and those who don't. How the Jewish Diaspora doesn't see the irony in this, I don't know, but the extremely right-wing lunatics in charge of Israel seem to think it's a vote-winner so there you go.
Remember when Jimmy Carter got attacked for calling Israel an apartheid state? Yeah.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the contradictions don't matter to them because FYGM.

Edit: I meant this for something else but it still fits here.

FreshlyShaven
Sep 2, 2004
Je ne veux pas d'un monde où la certitude de mourir de faim s'échange contre le risque de mourir d'ennui

pro starcraft loser posted:

I can understand a country founded on X wanting to keep X a crucial part of that country, but instead of passing laws how about just stop forcefully taking over areas filled with people who follow Y?

If they did that, Israel would have never been created. At the end of the Mandate period, 2/3 of the population of Palestine was non-Jewish. Even within the land apportioned to a Jewish state under the partition plan, Jews would have had only a slight majority(like 52 percent) and over 90 percent of the land by acreage was Arab-owned or inhabited (because the Jewish settlers were highly concentrated in the cities.) As the Right likes to remind people, the settlers are just continuing the work of Israel's founders.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hamas Hamas Hamas

https://twitter.com/jdgreenblatt45/status/1020092880390688775?s=21

Nothing is Israel’s fault, ever

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Is it war yet?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Is it war yet?

the other side's gotta fight with something other than kites and condoms first

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
gaza under attack right now

https://twitter.com/palinoia/status/1020381637538975752

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One of the nice things about having an RSS feed set up for Israel news is that it's easy to see changes and patterns in the coverage.

A sampling of headlines from before news organizations found out about the dead IDF soldier:
  • 3 Terrorists Killed as IDF, Hamas Exchange Fire On Border
  • After Troops Come Under Fire, IDF Strikes Hamas Posts in Gaza, Killing 4
  • Eight Arabs Killed By IDF Fire

A sampling of headlines from after news organizations found out about the dead IDF soldier:
  • Soldier Killed By Gaza Sniper Fire, IDF Retaliates
  • IDF Soldier Killed By Terrorist Snipers
  • Israel Retaliates With Ferocity After IDF Soldier Killed By Hamas Sniper
  • IDF Soldier Killed By Fire on Gaza Border, Sparking Wide-Scale Israeli Strikes

Notice that the pre-sniper headlines brag about escalating killcounts, which vanish from the headlines as soon as there's a single Israeli death.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Main Paineframe posted:

One of the nice things about having an RSS feed set up for Israel news is that it's easy to see changes and patterns in the coverage.

A sampling of headlines from before news organizations found out about the dead IDF soldier:
  • 3 Terrorists Killed as IDF, Hamas Exchange Fire On Border
  • After Troops Come Under Fire, IDF Strikes Hamas Posts in Gaza, Killing 4
  • Eight Arabs Killed By IDF Fire

A sampling of headlines from after news organizations found out about the dead IDF soldier:
  • Soldier Killed By Gaza Sniper Fire, IDF Retaliates
  • IDF Soldier Killed By Terrorist Snipers
  • Israel Retaliates With Ferocity After IDF Soldier Killed By Hamas Sniper
  • IDF Soldier Killed By Fire on Gaza Border, Sparking Wide-Scale Israeli Strikes

Notice that the pre-sniper headlines brag about escalating killcounts, which vanish from the headlines as soon as there's a single Israeli death.

Hmmmm so Israel feels a sniper killing an IDF soldier warrants large scale aerial attacks; but an Israeli sniper killing an unarmed medic is totally justified as that medic clearly was a terrorist collaborator? Seems legit

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Replace 'IDF soldier' with Jew and 'unarmed medic' with Palestinian because that's all the average Bibi-voting Israeli sees.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I can't imagine living like this. Do you think there will ever be peace in middle east?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

zapplez posted:

I can't imagine living like this. Do you think there will ever be peace in middle east?

https://www.pongo.co.il/Product.aspx?Item=118&Department=10&ReturnUrl=%2fDefault.aspx%3ftabid%3d119

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zapplez posted:

i saw a video of three children having their youtube challenge interrupted by israeli bombs outside and the comments below were about how it was fake and the kids were actors. it was very obviously not staged or those kids would sweep the oscars. i had a visceral reaction to the video and these people can just otherize children to a degree i can't even comprehend.

these people will just deny deny deny. people were blaming the family of the dead infant during the nakba protests for being too close to the fence. it's never israel's fault.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Raldikuk posted:

Hmmmm so Israel feels a sniper killing an IDF soldier warrants large scale aerial attacks; but an Israeli sniper killing an unarmed medic is totally justified as that medic clearly was a terrorist collaborator? Seems legit

They murdered 10 people in international waters because they didn't want building supplies delivered to gaza by boat, and then justified it by saying "look at all the weapons we found!!" Consisting of a pile of construction supplies (including, hilariously, mains powered angle grinders, something so impractical as a weapon I can't even)

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Replace 'IDF soldier' with Jew and 'unarmed medic' with Palestinian because that's all the average Bibi-voting Israeli sees.

It's literally the fourteen words that dominate Israel. Likud is trying to secure the existence of their people and a future for white children.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

i saw a video of three children having their youtube challenge interrupted by israeli bombs outside and the comments below were about how it was fake and the kids were actors. it was very obviously not staged or those kids would sweep the oscars. i had a visceral reaction to the video and these people can just otherize children to a degree i can't even comprehend.

these people will just deny deny deny. people were blaming the family of the dead infant during the nakba protests for being too close to the fence. it's never israel's fault.

That's because it is literally the closest parallel to the Nazi ideology that exists in the world today. The alt right is a loving joke compared to likud. murder pregnant women and their children by shooting them in the belly and then printscreen t shirts to laugh about it. If you support Israel today you're the type of person to be wearing jackboots selling out the other Jews to the ovens back then.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Anyone with a survivor in their family, anyone who ever met a survivor or heard from them, anyone who has seen and heard what it was like and still turns around with a cackling smile and does the same poo poo for the same reasons is disgusting. Anyone who supports this is just as disgusting. They literally sterilize non white Jews, murder children, torture, rape, steal bones and body parts as trophies. If I found out someone in the IDF had a lampshade made of Palestinian skin I would be unsurprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Your Parents posted:

That's because it is literally the closest parallel to the Nazi ideology that exists in the world today. The alt right is a loving joke compared to likud. murder pregnant women and their children by shooting them in the belly and then printscreen t shirts to laugh about it. If you support Israel today you're the type of person to be wearing jackboots selling out the other Jews to the ovens back then.

Don't forget sterlising "undeseriable" elements of society without their consent!! That was a good one, and didn't result in any action at all being taken. They only stopped this in 2013.