Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Installing Skyrim Special Edition, and I dropped out of the game/modding scene when it first came out so I'm not sure what options are out there now.

I'm basing my mod list with this as a starting point: https://eso-ui.com/skyrim-se-micro-list

I have a few questions though: are FNIS and XPMSSE useful? I don't really want to fiddle with animations unless you guys have an easy to install one to recommend.

Also, I've finally decided to jump into graphical modding to make the game look less dated. I found a good skin texture mod + feet mesh mod for males, is there anything comparable for women and/or elves? I just want my game to look like it was released more recently than 2011 and looking relatively close to vanilla, but I don't want any nudity or fiddling with different meshes for other people's titty mods so UNP/CBBE don't really fit the bill. Preferably just texture stuff and better details for the faces. (EDIT: I just realized one of the mods in that list, total character makeover, already seems to do this?)

Gameplay wise, anything cool and recommended for a sort of vampire hunter/magical archer character that uses spells themselves? I already have magical arrows and crossbows expanded and so on. I'm always open for cool magic mods or one-handed swords/daggers.

EDIT 2: The modlist gives me like 20 FPS outside of Falkreath :negative: Which of these would be best to prune?

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Anything out for special edition like SkyXP? "Experience" mod isn't doing it for me.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

cheesetriangles posted:

So what is the go to vampire overhaul these days? I never really play vampire and thought it would be nice to give it a try. The only major mods I'm currently running are sperg and apoc.

It's Sacrosanct or Better Vampires. I've played with both, but I like Sacrosanct a bit better and it's easier to weave its features into your standard Skyrim gameplay.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

kaschei posted:

Anything out for special edition like SkyXP? "Experience" mod isn't doing it for me.

It's a little bit different but look into "Gold is XP"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
oh god I grabbed the SE and now I've fallen down a flight of mods and I can't get up, send help

Running through the tucoguide and excising at my discretion for now, mostly going with trying to make the game look super pretty this time. I'll finish up most of those before I go back to content stuff, and in all honesty I'm probably just going to end up installing SPERG yet again because it's fun. Definitely gonna think about some content mods as well this time.

One thing that's getting annoying is the cap on download speed from the Nexus. It's not a big deal once I've got the stuff up and running and I'm just making tweaks, but when I'm downloading multiple 1GB+ mods, this is actually taking a really long time. Any advice for speeding the process along (that isn't "pay them money"), or do I just suck it up?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah you just gotta suck it up unless you're willing to pay 4$ once

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I found it worth giving them a one time payment of four dollars given that some of the mods I downloaded were multiple gigs in size. I was following an insane mod guide with hundreds of mods, so it all depends on whether saving some time is worth the four bucks to you I guess.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'm trying to figure out how to properly make a patch for Lost Grimoire's Spectral Staff to make it trigger the Ordinator bound weapon perks. It seems to have a flag as a bound weapon already, but didn't seem to apply any of the effects like Void Burn, etc. The only keyword I was able to add to it was 'WeaponTypeBoundArrow' which I'm not sure will work. I'd inquire at the LG nexus page but the oldrim one seems dead and the SE one was taken down for reasons unknown.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Eh, I just got through them over the course of the day.

So I've gotten the mods to pretty up the game, now what should I grab for content? I barely remember what I used to run beyond SPERG and Apocalypse, and I'll probably grab both again. Anything else really stand out these days? Can be anything from a few items to perk overhauls to those giant DLC-sized insanities people produce, as long as it's good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Apocalypse guy has a series of mods, from stuff like changing up racial powers, new Shouts, new enchantments, an actual religion system, etc. You might want to check those out. I also have a mod called something like Realistic Item Weight Adjustments which, as it says on the tin, makes item weights more realistic, which conveniently halves (or more) the weights of most armor and weapons.

I'm not on my PC right now so I don't have access to my mod list, but I'll take a look later. Those are just a few off the top of my head.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

theshim posted:

Eh, I just got through them over the course of the day.

So I've gotten the mods to pretty up the game, now what should I grab for content? I barely remember what I used to run beyond SPERG and Apocalypse, and I'll probably grab both again. Anything else really stand out these days? Can be anything from a few items to perk overhauls to those giant DLC-sized insanities people produce, as long as it's good.

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma is apparently really good, I've got it installed but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet

I'm also enjoying Interesting NPCs and Inconsequential NPCs, but the former requires some fiddling because IIRC the conversion wasn't perfect

Oh and Guard Dialogue Overhaul and Relationship Dialogue Overhaul are good as well

Quickloot adds FO4-style quicklooting to the game, so you don't need to pause the game whenever you want to loot something

The new Expanded Towns and Cities adds a bunch of new buildings and well-voiced NPCs to a few locations in the game (it's a work-in-progress)

I'd also suggest Skyrim Bridges as it makes the environments more varied. The same goes for Immersive Fallen Trees, gets you some nice dramatic views.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma is apparently really good, I've got it installed but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet

I'm also enjoying Interesting NPCs and Inconsequential NPCs, but the former requires some fiddling because IIRC the conversion wasn't perfect

Oh and Guard Dialogue Overhaul and Relationship Dialogue Overhaul are good as well

Quickloot adds FO4-style quicklooting to the game, so you don't need to pause the game whenever you want to loot something

The new Expanded Towns and Cities adds a bunch of new buildings and well-voiced NPCs to a few locations in the game (it's a work-in-progress)

I'd also suggest Skyrim Bridges as it makes the environments more varied. The same goes for Immersive Fallen Trees, gets you some nice dramatic views.

Bruma’s pretty cool but still fairly tiny as far as worldspaces go. Hopefully Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil will be done some time this year.

JK’s Skyrim and Great Cities also do a great job expanding the world. They’re also highly modular so you can create a hodgepodge, especially because there’s certain villages that ETAC covers that JK doesn’t like Shor’s Stone, Karthwasten and Kynesgrove, meanwhile JK has a better take on places like Riverwood and the hold capitals, while Great Cities basically creates a whole city beneath Solitude to explore at sea level and turns Winterhold into a proper city like it’s claimed to be in the game lore.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you like frostfall you will really like frostfall. For me it made the landscape so much more interesting.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

sebmojo posted:

If you like frostfall you will really like frostfall.

?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

He's saying that if you're into the realism of a camping/cold survival mod, Frostfall is the top contender. I'm not; I've tried it a couple of times and it generally just makes the game more tedious imo.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I'm not into the camping part of frostfall, but I do enjoy having to wear furs up in Winterhold, and making the walk to the archaeology site feel arduous, and not being allowed to swim across freezing rivers and the like. Outside of the far north, I've found Frostfall doesn't impact the game much at all, aside from making loincloth armor impractical.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Commander Keene posted:

The Apocalypse guy has a series of mods, from stuff like changing up racial powers, new Shouts, new enchantments, an actual religion system, etc.

EnaiSiaion has been slowly remaking basically all of Skyrim's mechanics and it's more then a little insane. Fortunately, his mods are also pretty good.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

any sweet mods?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Remember Lockpick Angle - Does what it says on the tin

Left Hand Rings Modified SE - Left handed rings are now craftable and lootable

Name Those Ash Piles - Ash piles are now named after the person they were originally (ex: "Ulfric's Ash Pile")

New Treasure Hunt SSE - More treasure maps for you to decipher

Quests Are In Skyrim - The vanilla radiant quests will now never send you to DLC areas outside of the province of Skyrim

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thank you for the sweetie pie mods.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Iunnrais posted:

I'm not into the camping part of frostfall, but I do enjoy having to wear furs up in Winterhold, and making the walk to the archaeology site feel arduous, and not being allowed to swim across freezing rivers and the like. Outside of the far north, I've found Frostfall doesn't impact the game much at all, aside from making loincloth armor impractical.

I didn't mind Frostfall, but I ended up disabling it because I'm pretty sure it's a high python load and was causing crashes for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Commander Keene posted:

He's saying that if you're into the realism of a camping/cold survival mod, Frostfall is the top contender. I'm not; I've tried it a couple of times and it generally just makes the game more tedious imo.

Exactly, yeah.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is there any way to make SkyUI not make the menu always open on 'Quests'? I've finally managed to tinker it to a good place but for some reason it removes the vanilla game's Quests/General Stats/System menu memory.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Is there any way to make SkyUI not make the menu always open on 'Quests'? I've finally managed to tinker it to a good place but for some reason it removes the vanilla game's Quests/General Stats/System menu memory.

I've never noticed it doing that. You're hitting esc not the "j" key, right?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skwirl posted:

I've never noticed it doing that. You're hitting esc not the "j" key, right?

I'm, uh, using a controller :blush:
I'm using SkyUI in conjunction with Hide SkyUI (I checked that it is exclusively SkyUI causing this issue, though) because I like MCM and the buff HUD, but I just can't get comfortable playing Skyrim with KB+M. From what I can understand it seems to have bound Start to Quests rather than Menu but I can't figure out how to change or subvert that in any way. The in-game options don't help/aren't relevant and there doesn't seem to be any sort of .ini for SkyUI.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 13, 2019

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Stay At the System Page should hopefully do what you are looking for. Not sure it'll work on controllers though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm, uh, using a controller :blush:
I'm using SkyUI in conjunction with Hide SkyUI (I checked that it is exclusively SkyUI causing this issue, though) because I like MCM and the buff HUD, but I just can't get comfortable playing Skyrim with KB+M. From what I can understand it seems to have bound Start to Quests rather than Menu but I can't figure out how to change or subvert that in any way. The in-game options don't help/aren't relevant and there doesn't seem to be any sort of .ini for SkyUI.

No idea then. Maybe see if you can configured it in the base Skyrim.ini? Do you know if it was working properly without skyui?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Skwirl posted:

No idea then. Maybe see if you can configured it in the base Skyrim.ini? Do you know if it was working properly without skyui?

Yeah, it worked fine before SkyUI, and I just toggled it off and menu memory works properly again. My only guess is that SkyUI's PC-intended bindings end up supplanting 'Menu' with 'Quests' for controllers with no apparent way to fix it. I'll muck around some more in the inis.

Zeron posted:

Stay At the System Page should hopefully do what you are looking for. Not sure it'll work on controllers though.

While this isn't perfect, it's still very helpful as convenient access to Quicksave is the real issue about no menu memory. Thank you very much!

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Hey team, I was just talking with a friend about this game and I decided to check it out. Given that its an 8 year old bethesda game, I imagine there is a lot of jank to mod out. Do you have any recommendations for my first playthrough? I bounced hard off of Oblivion once I realized all the encounters were the same and the skill / level scaling was boring.

So, I guess there are two types of mods I'm looking for. 1) Mods that make it no longer look like a game built for the xbox 360 and played with a controller. 2) Mods that change some of the more "bethseda" design decisions.

Any suggestions?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lechtansi posted:

Hey team, I was just talking with a friend about this game and I decided to check it out. Given that its an 8 year old bethesda game, I imagine there is a lot of jank to mod out. Do you have any recommendations for my first playthrough? I bounced hard off of Oblivion once I realized all the encounters were the same and the skill / level scaling was boring.

So, I guess there are two types of mods I'm looking for. 1) Mods that make it no longer look like a game built for the xbox 360 and played with a controller. 2) Mods that change some of the more "bethseda" design decisions.

Any suggestions?

First off: are you playing the original or Special Edition? If it's the original, you need all the DLC (which is hidden and never on sale anymore) for mods to be happy these days. If that's not a problem or if you're playing with SE, you'll need the Unofficial Skyrim Patch; this is mandatory. Not only does it make the game work properly, nearly every mod runs off it as a baseline.

From there, get SkyUI for a PC interface, SkyHUD for better text kerning and a modular HUD (you can leave it standard if you want!), a better world map (Ice Penguin's is good), and Modern Brawl Bug Fix. There's also a bunch of engine fixes worth looking up that differ based on version; they're usually on the first page or two on the Nexus.

Judging from your comments it seems like you want a better game, which is good! Get Disable Cinematic Kills to turn that poo poo off and not let powerful enemies instagib you with no recourse, High Level Enemies so bandits stop being useless after 1 hour of gameplay among other things, Unleveled Items so rare artifacts aren't immediately outdated, and maybe Less Tedious Thieves Guild so it doesn't take 125(!) looting quests to finish it.

Cutting Room Floor is rad as it restores a ton of content that SHOULD be in the game but isn't, Dawnguard Map Markers lets you actually fast travel in the DLC, Run for your Lives makes NPCs actually avoid vampires and dragons, and Bring out your Dead gives NPCs graveyards in minor holds.

For graphics, SMIM makes the models high poly, Skyrim Flora Overhaul makes the plants and trees look great, and Total Character Makeover is a simple NPC improver, graphically. Search the Nexus for things that look good, too!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Lechtansi posted:

Any suggestions?

Anything EnaiSiaion is pretty reliably good. There are unofficial patches, also you'll want some expanded armor and weapon mods, and mods that add new monsters so you don't just end up fighting bandits/draugr/wolves/the same 3 types of dragons/bears/etc. Magic mods, Argonian raptor feet mod. Really, the driest stuff in the vanilla game are the perks, the weapons, the magic, the monsters... gently caress just the whole drat thing really. The follower Cosnach is always gold though, vanilla or otherwise.

Basically, go to the Skyrim Nexus, get the mod manager downloaded, sort the mods by most endorsed of all time, and start going through pages and downloading stuff. You'll probably have a lot of stuff within the first 10 pages that you'll like, and after that you'll get more and more until you just ruin your loving save and start over.

Probably.

Maybe.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
These are good suggestions thanks. I do have the SE edition, so I’ll start by looking for mods compatible with it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Make sure you have the unofficial patch. It fixes most of the bugs and weird probably unintentional interactions in the game. It requires all three dlcs, but since you have SE I think they're all included.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lechtansi posted:

These are good suggestions thanks. I do have the SE edition, so I’ll start by looking for mods compatible with it.

the nexus sites are different if you're running SE or Oldrim, so as long as the first bit of the url is https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition you're fine, and the most popular mods that exist for both usually have a link to the special edition if you end up on the wrong one.

(I remember when it was just the elder scrolls nexus and both morrowind and oblivion mods were mixed together there).

I would honestly recommend playing a bit without any mods first, just to get a feel for what you want to change. Like, Apocalypse Magic is almost mandatory if you're going to be a mage character, but pointless if you aren't going to cast anything besides a couple buffs for your sword and boarder.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I definitely agree with playing at least a bit of the game vanilla first. Get a few bug fix patches and SkyUI and just gently caress around a bit to see what you like and what you don't. My modlist is currently less than 50 or so mods, which is tiny compared to some of the folks here, because I don't care much about graphics and have focused on a few gameplay mods that I really like.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Here's my mod list for SE that's near-vanilla but has some basic graphical enhancements, bug fixes, gameplay improvements, and other seamless QoL changes. Of course this is just my vision of how I want the game, but I feel like if you want the corest gameplay possible this is the best setup. Not pictured are non-plugins like .dll loaders, engine fixes, Hide SkyUI and Classic Menu.

code:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
Shadowmarks.esp
SkyUI_SE.esp
sandboxcylinderheight.esp
DisableCinematicKills.esp
HearthFire Display Case Fix.esp
High Level Enemies.esp
High Level Enemies - Dawnguard.esp
High Level Enemies - Dragonborn.esp
IcePenguinWorldMap.esp
InstantMining.esp
Less Tedious Thieves Guild.esp
Player Blink Fix.esp
Unleveled_Items.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
House Map Markers Legendary.esp
SkyHUD.esp
Dawnguard Map Markers.esp
Modern Brawl Bug Fix.esp

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 14, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is heretical, but I just used the SSE in game mod picker thing to install all the mods that looked interesting (40 or so?) and chucked a graphics filter on top, worked great, never crashed.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Lechtansi posted:

Any suggestions?

this is the same game as oblivion but with less interesting quests.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Commander Keene posted:

I definitely agree with playing at least a bit of the game vanilla first. Get a few bug fix patches and SkyUI and just gently caress around a bit to see what you like and what you don't. My modlist is currently less than 50 or so mods, which is tiny compared to some of the folks here, because I don't care much about graphics and have focused on a few gameplay mods that I really like.

:agreed:

Other than bug, UI and graphics mods listed on the 1st page of this thread, I just played and then added mods to fix irritating things as I ran across them. A few annoyance-removing mods I ended up adding to my (non-SE) game I just started:

All Thieves Guild Jobs Concurrently lets you take every job on offer from the 2 quest givers in one shot, then turn them in all at once, instead of being limited to 1 active job at a time from each one.

Better Eagle Eye and Steady Hand Perks lets you adjust the zoom, stamina drain and time dilation effect of those perks on the fly through the game menus.

Dynamically Disable Eye Adaptation and Bloom lets you shut off the drastic brightness shifts that can happen as you look around, which were bugging me after a while.

I also used the settings here https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7638 to make my shadows stop looking so lovely even though I'd set everything to ultra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

sean10mm posted:

All Thieves Guild Jobs Concurrently lets you take every job on offer from the 2 quest givers in one shot, then turn them in all at once, instead of being limited to 1 active job at a time from each one.

Atrocious British accent posted:

Feel like doin' a bit o'writin'?