Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

I bought both the cataclysm and Pandariav expansions as digital downloads, what, two, three years ago?

Time flies, my friend. That' wasn't two, three years ago.

But even the first expansion, Burning Crusade, back in 2007 you could buy fully digitally. World of Warcraft has always been very progressive about that kind of thing, being an online game and all.

And EA used to sell their Battlefield 2 expansions "Euro Force" and "Armored Fury" released back in 2005 via their EA downloader service. Retail versions were simply a code in a DVD box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

In-store game selection for PC has been pathetic since like 2005 so I'm not sure what rock you guys have been living under. Steam ate brick and mortar's lunch on this.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I can't speak to any of the xpacs afterwards, but if you bought Cata or MoP on physical discs, they were completely blank except for like a 12MB install for bnet, to download your actual content.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Pandaria was new about six years ago, Cata was eight or so

God. How many expansions have there been since Pandaria? I haven't played anything in the 4 years since I got married (it's not my wife's fault, life just got complicated).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anonumos posted:

God. How many expansions have there been since Pandaria? I haven't played anything in the 4 years since I got married (it's not my wife's fault, life just got complicated).

Two, Warlords of Draenor and Legion. The next one is Battle for Azeroth, likely to be released later this year.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

anonumos posted:

I played the hell out of Vanilla and BC and then cut the cord. Great decision.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

anonumos posted:

Two since pandaria, with a third this year

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I dunno, as an adult with kids I get pretty irate when groups of teenagers hang out in McDonald’s with one brown bag between them and pretend to drink from a empty cup and hog all the seats while being Loud and Obnoxious .

Seriously, there is a park - with several places kids can hang out behind and in, a covered teenage hang out bench and seating area by sports direct that gets McDonald’s free WiFi, and a canal, all of which are preferable to hanging out in McDonald’s, especially since aforementioned places all have toilet near them whereas the ones in McDonald’s are now locked.

Do cops not run lingering teens out of parks where you live?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In some neighbourhoods people call the cops on teenagers, especially non white teenagers, literally waiting for the bus.

Where are they going to go? The arcade?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
They can just go to the mall, even though some malls are increasingly strict about teens loitering around with no adult supervision later in the day. (And of course the whole 'malls are slowly dying' thing)

Or they can hang out at...uh...the library? Sure, the library. That hotspot of teen activity.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Doom Rooster posted:

I can't speak to any of the xpacs afterwards, but if you bought Cata or MoP on physical discs, they were completely blank except for like a 12MB install for bnet, to download your actual content.

There is a reason for this.
Blizzard changed the file structure of WoW in Cata, so all previous physical releases were useless and DVDs can't hold 30+ gigs of data to replace the older stuff.
And converting the old stuff wasn't doable seeing it runs on potato machines which couldn't handle it.
So digital installs it was.

The boxes are only there for show these days, for collectors who want to keep them on their shelf with the rest of the series.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Haifisch posted:

They can just go to the mall, even though some malls are increasingly strict about teens loitering around with no adult supervision later in the day. (And of course the whole 'malls are slowly dying' thing)

Or they can hang out at...uh...the library? Sure, the library. That hotspot of teen activity.

Amazon Books is the happenin' place in town.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

happyhippy posted:

The boxes are only there for show these days, for collectors who want to keep them on their shelf with the rest of the series.

gamers.txt

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

In some neighbourhoods people call the cops on teenagers, especially non white teenagers, literally waiting for the bus.

Where are they going to go? The arcade?

Yep, this happened to me several times when I was 17. I took the bus to during the summer, the bus stop was on the sidewalk out front someone's house, and the police just conveniently kept showing up to ask me why I was hanging out there. Fucker living there kept calling the cops on me, and I'm about as white as they get. We weren't even allowed to hang out at school after a certain time for "liability reasons." Not literally involved in sanctioned basketball practice with a coach present? Get out of the gym, kids. Not in an office hours session with a teacher? Nope, out of the library with you.

It's no wonder kids get into trouble when you remove any potentially healthy or non-disruptive means of entertainment for them. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sundae posted:

Yep, this happened to me several times when I was 17. I took the bus to during the summer, the bus stop was on the sidewalk out front someone's house, and the police just conveniently kept showing up to ask me why I was hanging out there. Fucker living there kept calling the cops on me, and I'm about as white as they get. We weren't even allowed to hang out at school after a certain time for "liability reasons." Not literally involved in sanctioned basketball practice with a coach present? Get out of the gym, kids. Not in an office hours session with a teacher? Nope, out of the library with you.

It's no wonder kids get into trouble when you remove any potentially healthy or non-disruptive means of entertainment for them. :(

When people call the cops for stuff like this are they legitimately afraid kids are up to no good, or is it just a nice legal form of harassment they're doing out of boredom or hate?

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

When people call the cops for stuff like this are they legitimately afraid kids are up to no good, or is it just a nice legal form of harassment they're doing out of boredom or hate?

They are afraid of the kids because they are boring and hateful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And they wonder why teenagers stay inside playing video games all day.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

They are afraid of the kids because they are boring and hateful

If the woman named, I poo poo you not, Tweefie, on my local Nextdoor is any indication, this is accurate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

It's both in at least most cases. I'm going to guess that they remember the days when anti-loitering laws still existed. You know, the times before they were struck down as being too vague as they had a tendency to be very selectively enforced against anybody that was the "wrong" type of person.

Riding the bus is also associated with dirty poors and I shouldn't have to look at my window and see a dirty poor at any time of the day, ever. This is a respectable neighborhood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, it might not be a major reason why so many teenagers are socially maladjusted and alienated from society, but it can't be helping.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/976934239890558982?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Best of nextdoor is the best thing on twitter

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/976963620083937280

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inescapable Duck posted:

I mean, it might not be a major reason why so many teenagers are socially maladjusted and alienated from society, but it can't be helping.

They aren't though, that's just some bullshit made up by Boomers who spent all day hanging around whatever the gently caress there was to do in 1963 as a middle school student.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I work in Retail myself, and the poo poo I've seen my company do in the past 2 years to shoot themselves in the foot is hilarious. Just in the past few months I've seen such gems as dumping our entire stock of bathroom towels to replace them with the exact same thing with a different SKU, or loving up entire advertising signage runs and just having stores re-print them on our lovely laserjet.

They also had us clearance and dump our entire inventory of brooms & mops only to replace them with the exact same thing with some parts colored blue.

And apparently someone at Corporate has a massive hardon for that awful LaCroix sparkling water, because they keep putting it on every new food presentation. Whenever they do that they send us piles of the poo poo, we've got about an entire pallet of it sitting back in our warehouse. Shockingly enough, in Rednecksburg Indiana nobody buys this poo poo.

Every year they do a huge "organic & gluten free" presentation, we're lucky to maybe sell 25% of it. The rest just sits there, then gets marked down, then when it still doesn't sell it's off to the food bank.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

people who move to or live in the suburbs on purpose generally hate their neighbors and want as little as possible to do with them and messes with people who grow up in that environment

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

SelectaVision is the video format if you think laserdisk was too convenient and mainstream.
I picked up a Laserdisc of the original Clash of the Titans for a buck at a library sale. I have absolutely no way to play it but it's kinda neat to have.

Rated PG-34 posted:

loitering: the grand crime of existing w/o spending money
A capital offense in America

Caganer posted:

Playing the long game.

Next natural wonders will reopen to sell orbs again 🔮
Orbs are big business in 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zero_Grade posted:

I picked up a Laserdisc of the original Clash of the Titans for a buck at a library sale. I have absolutely no way to play it but it's kinda neat to have.

Now imagine a laserdisk that instead of a laser used an actual physical needle to read the grove on the disk but then also that made the disk so fragile that the whole thing had to be kept in a giant plastic shell almost as big as a pizza box. And then imagine that the picture quality was worse than broadcast tv and you have the amazing technology of selectavision.

I think it might literally be the worst video format ever released commercially. (no, I guess DIVX was worse, and those aren't even fun to collect)

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think it might literally be the worst video format ever released commercially. (no, I guess DIVX was worse, and those aren't even fun to collect)

I actually have a few unopened DIVX discs that I bought when it was clear the tech was going to fail.

I mean, it was always clear, but... yeah.

DIVX was an incredibly stupid thing that I still have a hard time believing actually happened.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
DIVX was DVDs designed to expire, right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

whydirt posted:

It was a DVD where you had to pay every time you played it after the first time.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

whydirt posted:

Basically, yes.

You would get a rental period once you first played the disc, but could pay to "unlock" the movie for ownership.

They were also almost all pan and scan and had little to no extra features.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
“What if we had movie rentals that gave consumers the joy of extra clutter and waste?”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

whydirt posted:

DIVX was the one where you had to have a machine hooked to a phone line and it'd charge you 5 dollars every time you watched the movie and also the player cost 100 dollars more than a regular DVD player and also only best buy sold the disks and also they didn't support widescreen or menus of extras.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
did they ever release those disks that had a layer that would physically rot/cloud with exposure to oxygen? I remember some company talked up that concept as a single watch disk but I'm not sure that ever actually hit market. A disk with a dye layer that would start to erase the disk a few days after you opened the package.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

did they ever release those disks that had a layer that would physically rot/cloud with exposure to oxygen? I remember some company talked up that concept as a single watch disk but I'm not sure that ever actually hit market. A disk with a dye layer that would start to erase the disk a few days after you opened the package.

There was a christmas themed romcom that im pretty sure came out using the technology as like a test market kind of thing but I dont think anyone else tried.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Capitalism is the worst.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Barudak posted:

There was a christmas themed romcom that im pretty sure came out using the technology as like a test market kind of thing but I dont think anyone else tried.

Jeez this is bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplay

The Disney organization announced in 2003 that it would issue some releases on Flexplay ez-D discs. Discs were test-marketed in Austin, Texas. One grocery chain dropped the discs in February, 2004, saying "It didn't turn out to be an item that our customers were looking for."[4]

The first Flexplay disc to receive national consumer distribution in the U.S. was a 2004 Christmas movie entitled Noel, which was released "trimultaneously" to theatres, to cable TV, and to Flexplay disc. Reportedly theatres were angered at the simultaneous release, and as a result the movie actually received screenings in only a few dozen theatres.[citation needed]

As of 2005, Flexplay discs appeared in Japan under the 48dvd brand name, and were also used in 2006 for the Japanese release of Mission: Impossible III.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

boner confessor posted:

people who move to or live in the suburbs on purpose generally hate their neighbors and want as little as possible to do with them and messes with people who grow up in that environment

No, they live out in the country and commute for thirty miles for anything they need.

And the only time I have ever wanted to call the police over kids hanging out is on the little poo poo that zips around on his dirt bike through the alley next to my house.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

DIVX was the one where you had to have a machine hooked to a phone line and it'd charge you 5 dollars every time you watched the movie and also the player cost 100 dollars more than a regular DVD player and also only best buy sold the disks and also they didn't support widescreen or menus of extras.

Circuit City, but close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

whydirt posted:

“What if we had movie rentals that gave consumers the joy of extra clutter and waste?”

This already exists for carryout food, and you also have to cook the food.