Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

or you just didn't know what rancid eggs did and the banker seemed like the safest option. I tended to do a lot of exploring and didn't need the extra pressure of oh poo poo don't die to something stupid

Don’t they explain what the rancid eggs do well before the banker is even reachable?

Hell you can unlock the guy in the graveyard within a half hour of starting the game probably. He IS the reason there’s no pressure to worry about dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you can go the entire game without unlocking the rancid egg guy if you don't actively seek him out

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
if anything I was annoyed I wasted a key on that, you definitely don't need to talk to them

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RCarr posted:

There’s just no reason to use the banker unless you die in terrible places and deliberately don’t use a rancid egg just to make it riskier.

Finding the banker again after she leaves rewards you with a lot of extra geo so it's at least worth doing that

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

RCarr posted:

Don’t they explain what the rancid eggs do well before the banker is even reachable?

Hell you can unlock the guy in the graveyard within a half hour of starting the game probably. He IS the reason there’s no pressure to worry about dying.

I unlocked the guy but only got 1 egg from a shop for the longest time before I finally found like a dozen all at once

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
It is funny that I have played this game for like six hours now and I have no idea what most of you are talking about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cartoon Man beat you to it

Cartoon Man posted:

The best part about the Lore is that you can completely ignore 98% of it all and the game still works and is amazing.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

In my case it's not lore - like I literally haven't even found the banker or these other people (bugs).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

In my case it's not lore - like I literally haven't even found the banker or these other people (bugs).

The game is massively huge, don’t sweat it and keep playing. If you get frustratingly lost post in here and we’ll tell you where to go next.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah one thing that isn’t immediately obvious is that Hollow Knight might have one of, if not THE, largest metroidvania maps in gaming. You really can’t from how big the game is until your up in the 85-90% done range and you hit pause like “wtf”

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Yeah. My biggest issue is my memory. It's one of those games where you are supposed to go down some passage, fail to get through because of "X" (you don't have double jump yet, you don't have wall climb yet, you basically don't have the foozle that lets you do something).

I find X an hour or two later (which is maybe a day or two later in real life), and I have complete forgotten which of the little side branches I have not done yet is now solveable. I get a little tired of the running around to refresh my recollection that "oh, it was this hallway."

Other issue I have is I find it sometimes hard to figure out if I am supposed to be able to get past something and can't figure out how, or if I can't get by it because I need some new tool I don't have yet. That can be frustrating. Like I couldn't figure out those bouncing mushrooms. And now there is this "U" shaped passage with spikes around it, and I don't know if I'm supposed to get through with the wall climb (mantis claw thing) or if I'm supposed to wait until I find something else.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah. My biggest issue is my memory. It's one of those games where you are supposed to go down some passage, fail to get through because of "X" (you don't have double jump yet, you don't have wall climb yet, you basically don't have the foozle that lets you do something).

I find X an hour or two later (which is maybe a day or two later in real life), and I have complete forgotten which of the little side branches I have not done yet is now solveable. I get a little tired of the running around to refresh my recollection that "oh, it was this hallway."

Other issue I have is I find it sometimes hard to figure out if I am supposed to be able to get past something and can't figure out how, or if I can't get by it because I need some new tool I don't have yet. That can be frustrating. Like I couldn't figure out those bouncing mushrooms. And now there is this "U" shaped passage with spikes around it, and I don't know if I'm supposed to get through with the wall climb (mantis claw thing) or if I'm supposed to wait until I find something else.

you can buy map icons from one of the shopkeepers in town. learn to use and love em

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I have a crap memory and found using the map markers really helps

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also doesn’t the greyed areas on the map show you where you haven’t explored yet?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

RCarr posted:

Also don’t the greyed areas on the map show you where you haven’t explored yet?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

RCarr posted:

Also doesn’t the greyed areas on the map show you where you haven’t explored yet?

Yeah, that's not the issue. The issue is remembering "Oh, that's the one I couldn't go further in because I didn't have a light" versus "That's the one I couldn't go further in because the wall was too high to get over" versus "Spikes are blocking the way," etc.

If that makes sense. I don't completely get how the markers will help, because unless you can label them, I'd still have to remember why the red marker means "Need light," etc.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, that's not the issue. The issue is remembering "Oh, that's the one I couldn't go further in because I didn't have a light" versus "That's the one I couldn't go further in because the wall was too high to get over" versus "Spikes are blocking the way," etc.

If that makes sense. I don't completely get how the markers will help, because unless you can label them, I'd still have to remember why the red marker means "Need light," etc.

well you can use the different colors for different things. even if you dont (i just plopped down whatever) your brain will usually naturally remember "oh yeah heres where the big gap i cant cross was". or if you get stuck you can just visit any map icon you have and see if your new abilities can help you get past whatever you got stuck on

i too thought they would be useless for the reasons you state but they really do help.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I pretty much just mark generic areas to double back to when I hit a wall / get some new abilities. Plus the actual act of marking it helps me retain the details better

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

babypolis posted:

well you can use the different colors for different things. even if you dont (i just plopped down whatever) your brain will usually naturally remember "oh yeah heres where the big gap i cant cross was".

You know, you'd think so, but sometimes I think I'm brain damaged for certain things memory wise. 😂

Anyway, that's my problem, not the games. And point taken, I'll use the markers, it probably will help some.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah a recurring theme in Hollow Knight is that the game really won’t ever hold your hand, and it does require you to sort of relearn things other video games have beaten out of you. Navigation is chief among those.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

SlyFrog posted:

You know, you'd think so, but sometimes I think I'm brain damaged for certain things memory wise. 😂

Anyway, that's my problem, not the games. And point taken, I'll use the markers, it probably will help some.

it will actually help a lot

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Map pins help a bit. They would help a lot more if you could attach text annotations to them :argh:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The HK map is one of it's weakest points imo. I missed a super obvious item lying out in the open since it was in a room you'll never revisit, but I didn't explore fully when going through the first time. The game cheerfully filled the entire thing out (no fog etc) and I'd assumed it was explored until I cracked open the wiki wondering where the thing I wanted was missing from.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I literally didn't go that way until I came in from above it. By that point the banker stuff had already happened :shrug:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah a recurring theme in Hollow Knight is that the game really won’t ever hold your hand, and it does require you to sort of relearn things other video games have beaten out of you. Navigation is chief among those.

That's something I dig about the game and it's never performative or smug about it, it's just a game that expects you to engage with it on its own level as you learn it.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

Double post but I have BREAKING NEWS NEW INFORMATION IN THE ZOTE ARGUMENT:

grey prince zote is the dream invention of a badly gaslit young lady, it doesn't have any standing when considering the real zote

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BBJoey posted:

grey prince zote is the dream invention of a badly gaslit young lady, it doesn't have any standing when considering the real zote

The Zotes in the Eternal Ordeal aren't related to Grey Prince Zote.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BBJoey posted:

gaslighting involves intentional deception, dreamnailing zote reveals that he 100% believes every word he says

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grey Prince Zote is how Bretta perceives Zote

The Eternal Ordeal may be how Zote perceives himself

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

For gently caress's sake, just grab a piece of paper or make a note on your phone.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

For gently caress's sake, just grab a piece of paper or make a note on your phone.

In a modern video game? No thanks. I left making hex sheet dungeon maps behind in 1985 with Bard's Tale.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

In a modern video game? No thanks. I left making hex sheet dungeon maps behind in 1985 with Bard's Tale.
Okay, but I'm not the one describing myself like the guy from Memento.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe he just likes complaining.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

It's not quite Momento like. More that when there are six or seven areas on four-five maps that I can't get to because I need double jump for one, be able to walk on spikes for another, talk to some miner presumably with some object for another, have a source of light for another, presumably find some key that opens a gate for another, etc., it's a bit hard for me to remember which was which across all those maps.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Complaining about having to revisit an area in a Metroidvania game seems silly, especially when the game bends over backwards to provide stag stations everywhere to minimize the worst of it. Hell, they even patched in an extra station or two after the games release to accommodate more players who need them.

Once you get some map markers from Iselda, you should be dropping those everywhere you encounter somewhere you can’t go or a boss that’s too hard. Who cares if you don’t remember what the map marker represents, the most you’ll lose is 5-10 minutes of travel time to and from a stag station if you show up and still don’t have double jump or shade cloak, etc. At least you’ll be getting more geo from the enemies along the way and with gathering swarm turned on, you don’t even have to waste time picking them up.

The game won’t hold your hand but it really does go out of its way to minimize the BS that people typically complain about when playing metroidvanias these days. Also don’t be afraid to just outright google up what to do, whether it’s the location of the double jump or the tram pass, or how to increase the damage of your nail. Don’t let something like that block you from enjoying the rest of the game.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

RCarr posted:

Maybe he just likes complaining.

Could be. You seem to. What's it like?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’m still not sure what’s stopping you from just revisiting the areas you got stuck at. If you can now progress further there, great, if not, go to the next one.

SlyFrog posted:

Could be. You seem to. What's it like?

What?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's fun how we had a kind and regular ending to this conversation and then it got dredged up again with a much ruder tone for no particular reason.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Revisiting portions of a Metroidvania map is pretty standard for the formula. Nothing jumped out to me as particularly tedious, apart from one or two platforming areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Complaining about having to revisit an area in a Metroidvania game seems silly, especially when the game bends over backwards to provide stag stations everywhere to minimize the worst of it. Hell, they even patched in an extra station or two after the games release to accommodate more players who need them.

Once you get some map markers from Iselda, you should be dropping those everywhere you encounter somewhere you can’t go or a boss that’s too hard. Who cares if you don’t remember what the map marker represents, the most you’ll lose is 5-10 minutes of travel time to and from a stag station if you show up and still don’t have double jump or shade cloak, etc. At least you’ll be getting more geo from the enemies along the way and with gathering swarm turned on, you don’t even have to waste time picking them up.

The game won’t hold your hand but it really does go out of its way to minimize the BS that people typically complain about when playing metroidvanias these days. Also don’t be afraid to just outright google up what to do, whether it’s the location of the double jump or the tram pass, or how to increase the damage of your nail. Don’t let something like that block you from enjoying the rest of the game.

I'm not complaining. I'm explaining what happens. The game is what it is.

I don't really like to google things - I'd generally rather just figure them out on their own. So far I'm having a blast - I love the game. Only issues are the ones I've described so far, and they are relatively minor things.