Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Badger of Basra posted:

Do people still smoke opium in the 19th century opium den way, or has it been replaced by heroin/other opiods?

Not many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

credburn posted:

another thing i am wondering is what do you think the noods smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Badger of Basra posted:

Do people still smoke opium in the 19th century opium den way, or has it been replaced by heroin/other opiods?
Yes, although you rarely find raw opium far from the poppy fields because it's stupid to smuggle the bulky raw product instead of the finished product. So opium is still commonly smoked in areas close to Afghanistan such as Iran. That said, Drugs Data got a sample last year of actual opium from California which the sender assumed would be heroin.

As an aside, heroin users in the UK/EU usually smoke it. This is because heroin in the UK is sold as heroin #3, the freebase, and is ready to be smoked but it's not water soluble. Users who want to shoot/snort it must first treat it with an acid such as lemon juice. Heroin destined for the American market, heroin #4, is the hydrochloride and ready to snort/shoot but isn't smokeable.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Alright, abort, abort! It was just an idle curiosity, I don't want to start a thing.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

credburn posted:

Alright, abort, abort! It was just an idle curiosity, I don't want to start a thing.

You cannot unring a bell.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Thirteen Orphans posted:

You cannot unring a bell.

av/post combo

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

credburn posted:

Why does everyone hate TV Tropes so much? I just discovered it a year ago and I love it. I've been talking to people about all these things forever, and used to make my own poorly organized databases of examples of these tropes. The articles on the site are also pretty well written. I've never seen anyone here explain WHY they hate it so much, but there is a lot of side admonishments toward the site.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

That's a bit helldumpy

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

It's literally in this thread.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

It's still a bit helldumpy. What's wrong with tvtropes anyway?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

...This is because heroin in the UK is sold as heroin #3...
...Heroin destined for the American market, heroin #4...
What are heroin 1 and 2, how many heroins are there, and is that how drug deals are done? Like "oh I need 2kg of #3, 5kg of #4", etc?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Trapick posted:

What are heroin 1 and 2, how many heroins are there, and is that how drug deals are done? Like "oh I need 2kg of #3, 5kg of #4", etc?
Here's the DEA's guide to manufacturing heroin (PDF). To just answer your question, Heroin #1-4 are old DEA designations of steps in the Asian manufacturing process.

Heroin #3: Heroin freebase. Not water soluble but ready to smoke. Commonly available in Europe. Pg 15
Heroin #4: Heroin hydrochloride. Water soluble. Standard in the United States. Yes even black tar heroin, Wikipedia is wrong. Pg 16-17 of the PDF.

What heroin #1 and #2 are is disputed, but in any case they refer to preceding steps in the process that aren't actually heroin.

A dealer and his customers expect their heroin to be in a certain form (freebase or hydrochloride) and would not order the other kind.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Here's the DEA's guide to manufacturing heroin (PDF). To just answer your question, Heroin #1-4 are old DEA designations of steps in the Asian manufacturing process.
This is a really excellent answer and link, thank you! I know a lot more about heroin now, which will hopefully never come in handy.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Gobbeldygook posted:

Heroin #3: Heroin freebase. Not water soluble but ready to smoke. Commonly available in Europe. Pg 15
Heroin #4: Heroin hydrochloride. Water soluble. Standard in the United States. Yes even black tar heroin, Wikipedia is wrong. Pg 16-17 of the PDF.

What heroin #1 and #2 are is disputed, but in any case they refer to preceding steps in the process that aren't actually heroin.

A dealer and his customers expect their heroin to be in a certain form (freebase or hydrochloride) and would not order the other kind.

where is the one to cook meth

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hyperlynx posted:

What's wrong with tvtropes anyway?

It's mostly just fairly pointless. On its own, pointing out that there are similarities between aspects of different stories doesn't really tell you anything. Especially when a lot of them are very broad so as to include as many examples as possible. A character in this show is similar to a character in that show. OK. So what? What does that mean? It's just endless classification with no purpose. It feels like useful work, but nothing ever comes of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This thread is the only reason I’ve been to TVTropes in at least a decade because there are a number of questions answered by “TVTropes lists examples of that thing you’re talking about under ‘Unmoving Plaid‘ ” or whatever.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How do we make this a new smilie?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grouchio posted:

By plunking down 30 bucks here: https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/smilie.php

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Part of the reason people hated tv tropes back in the day was hating on autistic people, and part of it is just that it leads to stagnation in creativity and criticism. People who do surface level categorization of facets of media they consume, as tropes, and don't think deeper about it. That's fine, who cares, but then you have people creating media whose understanding of narrative and genre end at the tropes list, and that makes for very boring, formulaic, basic media that people (especially the creators) think is a lot deeper because they confuse tropes with themes. They then passionately and angrily defend themselves, take no criticism, and become huge drama bombs to discuss.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Does anyone remember this really strange (I think goon-made) music video?

Here's what I remember about it:

• The singer is a goony guy with black hair and a leather trenchcoat. He spends most of the video just standing still and staring into space while singing.
  • A CG animated Anubis appears out of nowhere and steals the girl in the video and I think is eventually defeated by the singer? Or its revealed the singer is actually Anubis in disguise or something?
  • I was certain it was named "The Darkness" but there's already a band and countless other songs with that name so it's a bit hard to find!

It wasn't 'Darkness', it was 'The Hunger', I think. I remember the mock thread

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Two words: Troper Tales

You can't have anything but disdain for the site after wading through that muck.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nighthand posted:

Part of the reason people hated tv tropes back in the day was hating on autistic people, and part of it is just that it leads to stagnation in creativity and criticism. People who do surface level categorization of facets of media they consume, as tropes, and don't think deeper about it. That's fine, who cares, but then you have people creating media whose understanding of narrative and genre end at the tropes list, and that makes for very boring, formulaic, basic media that people (especially the creators) think is a lot deeper because they confuse tropes with themes. They then passionately and angrily defend themselves, take no criticism, and become huge drama bombs to discuss.

So what you're saying is that Ernest Cline is an admin there.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

steinrokkan posted:

Two words: Troper Tales

You can't have anything but disdain for the site after wading through that muck.

Oh god, I’m having flashbacks.
They all started with “This Troper...” and had a really formulaic format.
The mock threads here were fun though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It also had mock worthy stuff like "innocent panties", where users lovingly detailed every time a(n underaged) character had their underwear showing.

The page now, if you try to go to it says it all:

quote:

Note: This page was cut for reason: FastEddie: Why don't people report this poo poo?

E: iirc there was also a problem with it devolving into people pasting "fetish fuel" and then listing everything, a page for hentai and other things that made it look less like a chronicling of stuff in media and more 4chan categorizing their hentai.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 30, 2020

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grouchio posted:

Forums poster Midjack beat you to it in the in-jokes/smilies thread:

Midjack posted:

Hang on.

EDIT: in as vincefrog, should appear shortly :vincefrog:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

Oh god, I’m having flashbacks.
They all started with “This Troper...” and had a really formulaic format.
The mock threads here were fun though.

And anyone who ddn't get a chance to experience Troper Tales back in the day can at least get a snippet through this podcast:

https://thefpl.us/episode/60

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

It wasn't 'Darkness', it was 'The Hunger', I think. I remember the mock thread

Yes! Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPrek1oAjG0

PersonFromPorlock
Jan 27, 2019

That's true!
Something of an unusual question: I have an alarm clock with a radium dial that no longer glows. It's my understanding that this isn't a failing of the radium, which should remain radioactive for more than a thousand years, but rather the luminous varnish breaking down. There are any number of luminous paints and powders on Amazon, but they're the usual modern sort that are supposed to be charged in the light and then glow for a time. Would the radiation emitted by radium cause them to glow perpetually? If not, what sort of glowy material am I looking for?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Something of an unusual question: I have an alarm clock with a radium dial that no longer glows. It's my understanding that this isn't a failing of the radium, which should remain radioactive for more than a thousand years, but rather the luminous varnish breaking down. There are any number of luminous paints and powders on Amazon, but they're the usual modern sort that are supposed to be charged in the light and then glow for a time. Would the radiation emitted by radium cause them to glow perpetually? If not, what sort of glowy material am I looking for?
Your understanding is correct. What you need to do is apply a thin, fresh layer of a phosphor on your dials. You're looking for something like zinc sulfide.

edit: This page contains instructions for how to apply phosphor to a watch, so worth a glance. Their pigment is probably a Strontium-based one that will glow much brighter than the zinc sulfide, if you're not just trying to restore it to it's former glory.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 30, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a movement in Colombia to rename the country, similar to people wanting to change Columbus Day and take down Columbus statues etc in the US?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there a movement in Colombia to rename the country, similar to people wanting to change Columbus Day and take down Columbus statues etc in the US?

No, the rest of the world doesn't care tbh.

Nobody is upset over British Columbia, either.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Methanar posted:

No, the rest of the world doesn't care tbh.

Nobody is upset over British Columbia, either.
British Columbia (I dunno about Columbia) isn't even named directly for Columbus - it's named after the river which was named after a boat which was named after the general region which was named after Columbus. So pretty sure nobody thinks "we live in a province named after Columbus", it's just a name at this point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trapick posted:

British Columbia (I dunno about Columbia) isn't even named directly for Columbus - it's named after the river which was named after a boat which was named after the general region which was named after Columbus. So pretty sure nobody thinks "we live in a province named after Columbus", it's just a name at this point.

No one puts that much thought into the origins of place names.

Look at Rhode Island voting to remove “and Providence Plantations” from its official name.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Platystemon posted:

No one puts that much thought into the origins of place names.

Look at Rhode Island voting to remove “and Providence Plantations” from its official name.

Last I heard it wasn't clear that they had actually voted to remove "and".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have a home inspection scheduled for a home I've put an offer in on. The previous two times I've been in this situation, I've been too far away to attend the inspection in person. The woman who scheduled it said that people usually show up towards the end of the 4-hour period. Would it be considered rude if I wanted to be there the whole time? Would I just be getting in the inspector's way, or is attending the whole thing common as well?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I attended the whole thing for mine! I'm paying hundreds of dollars for this person to look at the house I might spend many thousands on, you better believe I'm going to be there for every minute of it. I found it very instructive too and the inspector was cool and helpful.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How come some restaurants have both a delivery fee and a minimum order for delivery? I would have thought the fee covers it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Hyperlynx posted:

How come some restaurants have both a delivery fee and a minimum order for delivery? I would have thought the fee covers it.

It could be to "cover the cost of the delivery driver" but really it's there because people will pay it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

A delivery fee may cover the cost of additional expenses of delivery (like the infrastructure and the labor) while a minimum delivery order amount would prevent wasting time on small orders since time, especially during rush restaurant hours, is extremely tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hooah posted:

I have a home inspection scheduled for a home I've put an offer in on. The previous two times I've been in this situation, I've been too far away to attend the inspection in person. The woman who scheduled it said that people usually show up towards the end of the 4-hour period. Would it be considered rude if I wanted to be there the whole time? Would I just be getting in the inspector's way, or is attending the whole thing common as well?

It's fine, just don't get in the way and don't constantly pepper the inspector with questions. Bring a notepad, write down your comments and questions, and hit him or her up once or twice during the inspection.

DON'T follow them around like a puppy or constantly asking "what are you checking now? How does this compare to a normal house? Whatcha looking for right now?"

Ultimately, everything they see will be in the report so you're not really doing much except making their job harder just to get some dribs and drabs of info a day sooner.

You'll be bored out of your skull and/or constantly annoying them 20 minutes in but it's your money they're being paid so have at it.