Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

how safe is sms as a 2fa method? i always forget to move authenticator to my new phone. if i set sms as my 2fa method, i'd be fine forever. i know it's less safe than authenticator, but by how much? is 2fa via authenticator really that much better than sms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

how safe is sms as a 2fa method? i always forget to move authenticator to my new phone. if i set sms as my 2fa method, i'd be fine forever. i know it's less safe than authenticator, but by how much? is 2fa via authenticator really that much better than sms?

Everything I’ve read says 2FA is significantly better than SMS, and if you have to use SMS it’s better to get a Google Voice number and send the texts to that instead of your real number.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hackers don't need access to your phone to bypass SMS-based authentication.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do we have an HVAC thread?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

As well as this cool hacking stuff, there's also the old classic "call your phone company and convince some underpaid and overworked call centre person you need the number switched to a new SIM". So yah sms ain't great as a secure 2nd factor, although unless you're famous/important or have a lot of bitcoin it's likely fine. If you're a regular Joe protecting their gmail, sms is probably enough.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hooah posted:

Do we have an HVAC thread?

It's in diy.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, I know, but I want to know if there's like an actual kill count for birds vs missiles shot from military things like jets. I suspect there isn't, but this is the thread to ask.

I'd love to hear any more authoritative answers, but I would be really surprised if the answer was much greater than 0. The sky is very large. Birds are very small. A collision by chance seems incredibly unlikely. A collision by targeting system seems unlikely too because birds are very small and not very hot compared to a jet. Missiles exploding is, I think, triggered either by a circuit / computer saying "I'm close enough to the target" or by concussion/impact, and I doubt a collision with a bird - already I think very unlikely - would create enough of an impact on the missile's head to register and make it splode.

Birds and other wildlife killed as collateral from a missile exploding on a target on the ground seems like it has probably happened a ton though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A lot of missiles are also traveling much higher than any birds for large parts of their journeys. The window for possible impacts is pretty narrow.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The bottom line is there's much easier ways to kill birds than by shooting missiles at them

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The bottom line is there's much easier ways to kill birds than by shooting missiles at them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punt_gun

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Birds have been struck by baseballs.

I’m sure it’s happened with rocket‐powered missiles

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Birds have been struck by baseballs.

I’m sure it’s happened with rocket‐powered missiles

See I was thinking about the bird exploding in the path of a fastball pitch gif. Even that is very rare, and it still seems way more likely than a missile hitting a bird. Baseballs are thrown low to the ground where birds are more likely to be found, they are on a grass field surrounded by discarded scraps of lovely stadium food, and a ton of baseballs are thrown per year.

People hunt birds with clouds of birdshot from shotguns because the sky is very large and birds are a very small part of it. The likelihood of two single fast moving objects colliding in the entire sky is crazy small even when you are trying to do it on purpose, let alone by chance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

I know 3 people personally who have been sim swapped and had accounts stolen. It's really, really bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

See I was thinking about the bird exploding in the path of a fastball pitch gif. Even that is very rare, and it still seems way more likely than a missile hitting a bird. Baseballs are thrown low to the ground where birds are more likely to be found, they are on a grass field surrounded by discarded scraps of lovely stadium food, and a ton of baseballs are thrown per year.

People hunt birds with clouds of birdshot from shotguns because the sky is very large and birds are a very small part of it. The likelihood of two single fast moving objects colliding in the entire sky is crazy small even when you are trying to do it on purpose, let alone by chance.

Not every missile starts high and stays high. Anti‐ship missile practice and Iron Dome/Patriot activations come to mind. For sheer volume, it would be hard to beat RPG fire, and that takes place at ground level.

The FAA says that thirteen thousand aircraft strike birds in the U.S. each year. Aircraft are far larger than most missiles, and there are a lot more of them in the sky at any one time, but that number can drop by five orders of magnitude and still leave us with a missile striking a bird within the last decade, more if worldwide numbers are considered.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

How many of those bird strikes occur during takeoff and landing?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for, thank you for telling me about the bird vs missile / airplane war.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Maybe if the Australians had missiles they wouldn't have lost the emu wars.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Hey at least all we lost was a bit of pride. You want to talk about a war on birds that ended Badly, look at the one Chairman Mao declared on sparrows.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Not sure how missiles would've helped there.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Missiles hit, by birds.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Memento posted:

Hey at least all we lost was a bit of pride. You want to talk about a war on birds that ended Badly, look at the one Chairman Mao declared on sparrows.

Hey, I'm pretty sure the birds lost in that one. Though the next generation of birds was probably fat and lazy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Space launchers count as missiles, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTCjx5DEPkE

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Can dogs be trained to fart on command?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Can you fart at will?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
A lot of the time yes, but I want the dog to do the deed.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Every time you fart, give yourself a dog treat. Maybe the dog will get it after a while.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

This question is great. I am now curious about how many millions of dollars have been spent on killing birds.

E: missed the discussion above.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Are there any useful resources on running a Facebook page for a local community? I don't use Facebook so I have no idea what the best practices are in terms of security or how things work in terms of moderation, but trying to look things up just gets me a lot of bullshit about how to maximize engagement to make my small business profitable. I don't have a small business, we just want to let people know when the rec center is open.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Tell the rec center to post hours on their page or website it whatever.

Unless you want to personally moderate people complaining about the local minorites using or being near the facilities, random nonsense rants, and whatever local issues people feel way too strongly about, I guess.

Running a page or group is pretty easy if you don't care about all the business poo poo, just post whatever rules you want and keep it moderated. There are probably better ways to go about keeping people informed of whatever, though.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
I work in an office that just now received a package for a client, as I was opening it I thought it must be a Christmas client gratuity but it was actually some lunatic who posted a bunch of rubbish - crisp packets, bathroom tiles, empty juice carton, etc. Is there a name for this spiteful nonsense? I've tried googling pranks where you send rubbish in the post but no luck

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The closest things I can think of are glitter bombs, and using business reply envelopes to send junk while making the junk mailer pay for it. This used to be done with bricks but now the USPS just discards those.

In the telecom realm, there are black faxes and fax loops.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007
poo poo posting. Junk mail

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
You know how most houses have a particular smell to them? Is there any way of bottling that smell, like is there a company or something that does it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Per posted:

You know how most houses have a particular smell to them? Is there any way of bottling that smell, like is there a company or something that does it?

There’s a town in India that bottles the scent of rain, among other things.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I had some questions about Playstation Plus subscriptions. I got a PS4 last year and it came with a year of free PS+. I didn't really use it much in that year and it just renewed the other day. Not a big deal.

PS+ is the online, multiplayer, social interaction, etc subscription, right? One of the benefits to PS+ is that you get full free games every month that you can download install and play whenever. These are usually games that are a bit older, but still quality. And you get to keep those games for as long as you own your system, right?

There are also some older (PS2, PS3) games on the game store that I thought you can get access to for free with a PS+ subscription but that seems to be not correct somehow. For example one of the older Katamari Damacy games was on there. But that might be PS Now? And PS Now costs as much as PS+ subscription, but it includes access to 100s of games that you can "stream" or download, but those for sure go away if you cancel your PS Now subscription, right? If so, how well does streaming a game work?

I just kind of feel like I subscribed to the wrong service. I don't really do multiplayer games (though getting full AAA free games is nothing to sneeze at), so if that's all I'm really getting with PS+, I thing I'd drop that in favor of signing up for PS Now and playing the last generation or 2 of games instead.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I used to use a program called Moon VR to stream files from my computer to my Gear VR. It looks like they've started charging for the program now. Are there any other free alternative programs that will let me do that?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Per posted:

I doubt it. We don't really have the technology to feed a scent into a computer and let it spit out a photocopy, it's still done by people sniffing stuff and then comparing it to other stuff in their lab. To pick out and match the dozens (hundreds?) of scents that make up a particular "house smell" is probably impossible. Not every individual scent can be accurately recreated in a lab, anyway.

There is such a thing as an "odor camera" that is used to capture a scent but there's still the issue of recreating it, and I don't know if they're even available commercially, but again, I doubt it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Per posted:

There's probably some combination of scents that makes up the "home" smell that you are experiencing. It could be the musty smell of an basement, or old books. It could be lingering cigar or cigarette smell. It could be fresh baked goods or charred kitchen disasters depending on what is brought to mind. Maybe there is some animal smell that reminds you of home. Maybe there's a specific cleaning product that was used in your home that you have some fondness for. Either way, there is not one single smell that would encapsulate your house and your experience.

But there are certainly some of those scents that can be re-created or approximated. But you would have to have some idea of what you are looking for. When you think of the smell would you say it is floral like flowers or mowed grass? Is it acrid like smoke or burning? Is it sour like something spoiled? Is it bright like citrus? Earthy like dirt or mushrooms? Sweet like cakes and candies? Just plain funky like cheese?

You probably can't find something that is a single exact match, but you might be able to find something that's close by getting some combinations. That being said, there are some companies doing some interesting things with perfumes and candles that get some unusual smells. You could probably find a company that makes fragrances that smell like fish or a bog or peat moss if you look. The only other thing is that if you do find something like that, you're probably going to be paying a pretty penny for it. Anybody can make a candle that smells like Vanilla, but one that smells like your living room carpet is likely not going to sell well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I forger where I read about it but apparently scent is really closely tied to long-term memory. It’s probably possible to get close to a scent but it would be really difficult to nail it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

I forger where I read about it but apparently scent is really closely tied to long-term memory. It’s probably possible to get close to a scent but it would be really difficult to nail it.

https://twitter.com/damnbluci/status/1045704183263956993