Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Building inspector showed up and for some reason thought it's against the town ordinances to have stacks of dana 44s and 60s in your yard, I disagree with him but need him on my side to get more permits for renovations to my house so decided to just do what he says.

As a result I had a large number of large jeep parts to put in a large jeep for storage.

hmmmmm it won't quite fit (that's a chrysler 318, nv3500 trans, np231j tcase, and the A-frame bars are ten feet long for scale)

goes in better via the tailgate

next up, the 360, nv4500, and np231dld for the blue MJ

aaaaand in it goes!

I love having a kaiser jeep "pickup" with a 7x14 foot bed, it currently has both V8/5spd/231 drivetrains, five dana 60s, three dana 44s, a chrysler 8.25, and six 395/85r20 (46" tall, 15" wide, approx) mud tires in it... fit very comfortably and I didn't even really pack things carefully. The rear springs didn't even noticeably droop, I may have to take it for a spin tomorrow just to see if it rides better with approx. 3 tons of truck parts in the back.

Also, I really hope people buy some of this crap on cl soon because I have absolutely no need for five dana 60s, they just keep coming to me via two-for-one deals and in parts trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Wow that thing's awesome!

How long have you been working on trucks? I just got my first Jeep a few weeks back and am looking forward to learning a few things on it.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

How long have you been working on trucks? I just got my first Jeep a few weeks back and am looking forward to learning a few things on it.

He doesn't work on them, per se. He just collects the parts he finds in the road.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

ken you need to boatside the MJ stat

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm really hating the fact that Jeeps are considered luxury vehicles in Costa Rica. I've been trying to find 4.0 heads, and the usual going price is $300. Rear differential (be it a 8.8 or a D35) is $600, that being the cheapest I've found. Not that I really need either of these right now, but apparently somebody confused the price of steel for gold.

Rear YJ door for $200...for gently caress's sake. And not one is primed or in good paint condition.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I've been working on jeeps / trucks since late fall 2008, when a rusted brake line, a sharp turn, and some wet leaves introduced my 96 XJ (first car I ever bought) to a guardrail. Got some bodyshop quotes and they all wanted $1500+, so I decided to fix it myself, having no idea how to do anything nor any tools aside from a single 18-piece $5 walmart socket set... so I bought around 900 dollars worth of parts, tools, and matched paint and it actually came out pretty well. I was hooked.

I didn't know diddly squat about anything until probably late 2009 or so when I signed up for an XJ/MJ specific forum, bought a few factory service manuals, downloaded the official parts catalogs and began learning everything I possibly could about them. Even now I find something I didn't know yet basically every time I fix anything.

piss boner posted:

He doesn't work on them, per se. He just collects the parts he finds on craigslist.

fixed.

Though my white MJ there... has very few original parts left. The bed, tailgate, frame/cab, doors, interior (minus the steering column, swapped that a few weeks ago) are about all that's left of the original vehicle. It started life as a stock 4.0/automatic, 2wd, and since then has become a lifted, locked, 4.0 (new motor) 5-speed 4wd truck with a complete new brake system, new axles, new steering column, new radiator, 97+ nose, bumpers, new gas tank, etc. gently caress, I even put the new windshield in myself.

Slow is Fast posted:

ken you need to boatside the MJ stat

it's so rotted out it's getting a step further than that. I'm still working on collecting the money to buy the rest of the tubing I need to build the new frame... when I have all that, it'll have a 318, nv3500, np231 doubler box, np231 transfer case w/SYE (this is all the first drivetrain pictured being loaded into the 5-ton in my last post...), dana 60s front and rear, 2x6 1/4" wall box tube rocker replacements, a fully boxed, fully sealed frame with no portion thinner than 1/4", a 3 link front suspension, a new bed, and probably a snorkel, based on the fact that I managed to hydrolock the engine running through a foot of water at NEAIfest.

Literally the only original part of the vehicle will be the firewall, A-pillars, cab back, and roof.

poo poo that I actually did, instead of just yapping about on the internet and collecting parts for:

Monday, Tuesday, and today have been a death march of repairing Sandbagger (CommissarGribbs' 87 YJ.) Monday night we planned and got some parts, Tuesday I spent basically all day completely rewiring the entire dash, and today we wrapped things up, repainted the dash (he swapped a CJ-7 dash in), and attempted to tune the carb, which only made it worse because neither of us has any idea how to tune that cursed weber.

The wiring harness went from a rats nest of wire nuts, duct tape, assorted zip ties, dead wires, intermittent connections, and scotchloks to a single milspec Canon style connector, all splices properly done, the harness wrapped properly. Fixed a few things (the running lights, turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, gauge wiring, and HVAC blower among them), mostly made it "not a fire hazard", and I'm pretty sure I will be seeing 87 YJ wiring diagrams in my nightmares for quite some time.

Most of the gauges still don't work, but I'm fairly certain that's because it's a CJ-7 instrument cluster attempting to receive signals from an 87 YJ oil pressure / coolant temp / fuel level sender set. I'm sure we could fix it fully now but it's probably going to wait until the parts are all procured for an EFI swap. Pretty sure we nailed down the list of things needed for that today:
* 91-99 4.0L
* 96 XJ wiring harness, ECU, manifolds, all sensors except gauge senders
* 86 CJ-7 gauge senders
* perhaps a custom module or something to make the fuel level sender signal line up if we decide it's worth the time
* ~94-01 AX15 or NV3550, whichever comes along first at a good price
* 99 NP231 (it's sitting in my yard already)
* 99 c8.25 rearend (to be installed at the same time, since the driveshaft lengths will be changing due to the AX15 and NP231 anyways)
* SYE kit (to be installed at the same time, since driveshaft length and pinion angle are changing... might as well... CAN OF WORMS OPENED)
* external fuel pump will probably be needed

we're not entirely sure how the PS pump, alternator, etc are going to be set up due to the fact that the YJ mechanical fan is mounted to the WP instead of its own idler and the stock PS pump bracketry is designed to match the mounting bosses on the 258 intake manifold instead of the 4.0, and one is separate belts and the other is serpentine belts, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. It's going to involve a fully custom wiring harness built off of the bulkhead connector from the YJ and most of the engine management harness from the donor XJ, fortunately electronics is what I do for a living.

edit: too many :words: here is a picture of my friends badass jeep truck that I don't own or work on

My friend Sam's J10 that he just finished. Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear, bed bobbed, 39" tires. He's driving it to Rausch Creek at the end of the month and wheeling it with NAXJA.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 14, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Images to support Kastein's post:

Here he is filling the bed of the 5 ton with axles as part of yard beautification.

2 full motors and... a lot of axles. I dont even remember how many.

Crane Jeep and Sandbagger

An E-carb was harmed in the making of these photos:

So basically, we did what he said: we spent a lot of time going over the wiring and trying to make my dash not a scary fire hazard-looking mess. We also threw my old BBD into a fire for the sweet sweet aluminum, fixed the heat, fixed the windshield wipers and managed overall to fix more things than were broken and I consider that a fairly productive last few days.

Cutting defroster slots.

I don't have any after photos of the dash at the moment but suffice to say, it looks pretty great with the Kastein's new custom defrost slots and the air flows pretty reliably from the duct up at the windshield from there.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 14, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sweet Jesus dude.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Rhyno posted:

Sweet Jesus dude.

Honestly, it looked pretty damned awesome when it was done.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Kastein -

I'm 90% + certain that this is exactly the carb I have and if he's attaching it to a 258, this should be my manual for fixing any issues.

http://saragossa.net/weber_conv.php

This means I have a 34 DGEC which was not mentioned in ACE's manual.

It looks like my fast idle screw fell out.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 14, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

commissargribb posted:

Cutting defroster slots.

I was more worried that he is not going to have legs or a ding-a-ling when hes done cutting slots.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

please refer to the "gently caress safety gear!!!" picture chrisgt annotated some time ago.

(I was quite carefully braced - and on hair trigger alert to throw the grinder as far as possible)

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I was more worried that he is not going to have legs or a ding-a-ling when hes done cutting slots.

It's ok - he had necessary switches and other delicate items under the cutting surface to protect his legs and other organs.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
In the past week I have painted the front and rear fenders with bedliner, installed new speakers front and rear, cleaned battery terminals, diagnosed problem with 4wd light and windshield washer sprayer motor, and learned how to take the top off :)

Now comes the fun / harder part where I install the 4wd light switch on the transfer case, the sprayer motor, and a new muffler. I'm also planning on doing an oil change, transmission flush, differentials and transfer case fluids. SO far I'm having a blast but nothing has been hard yet either :ohdear:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

commissargribb posted:

It's ok - he had necessary switches and other delicate items under the cutting surface to protect his legs and other organs.

When do you two start making out?

I keeeeeed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

this just in: Auto Extra ceramic brake pads to fit a ZJ rear disc swap really, really suck.

Also, there will be no making out. I only make out with MJ owners.

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
Man, I am so pissed Jeep never brought the MJ to Australia, what were they thinking?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

commissargribb posted:

Honestly, it looked pretty damned awesome when it was done.

You terrify me.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
... Gribb, You and kastein are *NEVER ALLOWED* within the same zipcode of Opel Lady. This would be like crossing the streams. (She put a hole in her leg while drilling through a pipe... because she forgot she HAD IT ON HER LEG).

... mother of god I'm looking at these pictures and all I can see is her. :gonk:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

how the hell? :stare:

HOW DO YOU FORGET YOU ARE DRILLING TOWARD YOUR LEG?

edit: the final count of things that ended up in the 5 ton was -
2 V8s
2 5 speed manual trans
2 transfer cases
3 dana 44s (2 front, 1 rear)
5 dana 60s (2 front, 3 rear)
6 46" tires

and gently caress if I know what else. It was an awful lot of wrestling axles around, hoisting them up with the crane, then wrestling them around again.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 15, 2012

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

kastein posted:

how the hell? :stare:

HOW DO YOU FORGET YOU ARE DRILLING TOWARD YOUR LEG?

When she gets into a project, she GETS INTO A PROJECT.

I could tell many a tale of absolute automotive insanity to come from her, starting with her desire to mate her 81 VW Rabbit with a mark 1 scirocco.

That was one scary bunny when all was said and done.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
kastein, you are one badass dude. That is all.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Last week I was at home visiting my folks and Internetracecar in CT. I decided to take a look at my old friend who has been sitting in the barn since 2002.

Oh hi

Hmm, lets tow you out with my 2003 Forester which already has a failing clutch, $1400 and 7 hours later I had it back from the dealership with a new clutch.:downsbravo:

Well you're not looking too bad

Hmm, you seem to have split your water jacket while sitting for a decade, ughhh.

Needs a bit of tidying up

At least the crap on you is just dirt and not rust

So yeah I parked my M38 in dads barn when I went off to college a decade ago, and finally got around to taking a look at it. Hopefully soon when I get a new house I'll drag it down here to FL and finish it properly.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

N183CS posted:

So yeah I parked my M38 in dads barn when I went off to college a decade ago, and finally got around to taking a look at it. Hopefully soon when I get a new house I'll drag it down here to FL and finish it properly.

The obvious solution here is to get one of your buddies in the USCG who fly helis to air lift the M38 by its D-rings to FL.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 15, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress, I want that.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
That M38 is going to be spoiled in Florida.

Remind me are you going to mark it up when it's finished with unit information?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I found a CJ7. 304 with a 4 speed... rust is pretty decent, its there but pretty minimal.

Please tell me I am a total moron.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Please tell me I am a total moron.

Yep. You said "found" instead of "bought"

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

commissargribb posted:

That M38 is going to be spoiled in Florida.

Remind me are you going to mark it up when it's finished with unit information?

I thought about finding a USCG shore patrol unit from the early 50's and marking it up that way.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

N183CS posted:

I thought about finding a USCG shore patrol unit from the early 50's and marking it up that way.

That would be loving amazing and I fully support this.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Yep. You said "found" instead of "bought"

Yeah... Its between that and a Disco. If I do end up with a CJ7, where is the best source for body parts? I plan to just cut, replace and fill. I don't want to deal with fiberglass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So the ladyfriend's Jeep's turn signals have ceased working. All other lights work just fine, the stalk behaves normally but now signals. Fuse maybe?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Rhyno posted:

So the ladyfriend's Jeep's turn signals have ceased working. All other lights work just fine, the stalk behaves normally but now signals. Fuse maybe?

Well if it's a red one they tend to be cunty and the signal stalk will short out. Put some more lipstick on and try it again?

What model and year of Jeep?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EightBit posted:

Well if it's a red one they tend to be cunty and the signal stalk will short out. Put some more lipstick on and try it again?

What model and year of Jeep?

2000 Cherokee sport.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Rhyno posted:

2000 Cherokee sport.

Does the turn signal light come on and stay on? It could be the turn signal relay.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Speaking of lights, I swapped out my socket assemblies and now I went from having 1 working brake light (the other was hacked out) to having none. Now even when I swap one of the OLD socket assemblies back in (the one that worked) still neither brake light works. All other lights do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rally posted:

Does the turn signal light come on and stay on? It could be the turn signal relay.

No, the signals don't come on but the hazards, headlights, running lights and reverse lights all work normally.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Rhyno posted:

No, the signals don't come on but the hazards, headlights, running lights and reverse lights all work normally.

If none of the fuses are blown, it's probably the stalk. Goondolences, it's hard to replace.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
loving Jeep engineers. I posted a picture of my drivers side floorpan earlier in the thread and the passenger side doesn't look much better. One through and through hole, lots of crumbling flaky rust. Probably need to replace the seat risers too. Lots of wirewheeling ahead of me.

Is "Rustoleum Rust Reformer" paint any good? I've been putting it down after I get the floors wirewheeled just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Veins McGee posted:

Is "Rustoleum Rust Reformer" paint any good? I've been putting it down after I get the floors wirewheeled just in case.

I used it on my tub in some choice areas. If I had the chance to do it again, I would have ponied up the dough and got rust bullet or POR 15 for it.