Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010
Was that just some fan page that suggested that Scrambles was one of the winners of the Great Outdoor Fight? (Referred to in that context as "Tex.") Still. Onstad, buddy, what're you up to? Why now?? I do like to read into all this as a sign that he's investing himself anew in the world of Achewood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rollersnake posted:

I'm still convinced super-skeezy bin Goodwills are as much a product of Onstad's imagination as the notion that most men hate/can't figure out the underwear flap.

Here's an example of one. Note that it's not just a regular Goodwill, but a "Goodwill Outlet Store". Onstad's rendering of the interior was pretty spot-on, although I don't recall the people there as having been quite so gross when I was there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Pakled posted:

No right-thinking man uses the underwear flap and I refuse to hear otherwise. :colbert:

The sole convenient use of the underwear flap is for masturbating without having to sit your bare rear end on the cold vinyl of your office chair.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Here's an example of one. Note that it's not just a regular Goodwill, but a "Goodwill Outlet Store". Onstad's rendering of the interior was pretty spot-on, although I don't recall the people there as having been quite so gross when I was there.

I was going to post this as well. There are Goodwill stores both large and small that are basically like any other thrift store you might wander into. Then there are Goodwill Outlet stores, which (IIRC) are where stuff goes to die when it doesn't get sold at any of the regular Goodwill stores. I think it might be also where they send poo poo that isn't considered sellable at the regular Goodwill stores in the first place, but which they think they might be able to sell at the vastly discounted rates the Outlet stores offer (hence Beef's line about shat-up onesies and so forth). I forget the exact amount but basically from what I read, your costs are calcuated per pound, not per item (furniture items being the only exception), and it goes down the more poo poo you buy, basically.

Having never been in a Goodwill Outlet store, I Googled it and came across a guide of sorts on someone's blog (I have since forgotten the link). This lady said that when she went to the one in her area, she wore rubber kitchen gloves (like you'd use for doing the dishes) and one of those face masks people wear when they don't want to catch the flu. She also said she paid like $30-40 for something like 50-60 lbs. worth of clothes that she planned to fix up and resell. So yeah, make sure you're prepared if you happen to go into one, as you don't want to catch tuberculosis and the Hantavirus while digging for eBay gold. :zombie:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The Salvation Army here is mostly a thrift store but there's a bin room where stuff sits before it's sorted into the actual categorized shelves. I guess selling it cheap saves them man-hours sorting the poo poo.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Pakled posted:

No right-thinking man uses the underwear flap and I refuse to hear otherwise. :colbert:

When I was a child I read the interesting fact that men with larger than average penises preferred to use the flap and fly when urinating, and that men with smaller than average penises use the pull-out-and-over method. Having adopted the first method at the impressionable age, I have later in life been complimented on the caliber of my rifle, although this may not be a causal relationship.

Additionally, I can only assume based upon the methods outlined above that men with exactly average penises piss directly through the pants, sieving a substrate from their waste to use for crafts or as a musky pomade.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't think that's Beef's cock. It looks like magazine or something.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The Goodwill store near me has both giant bins of whole-lotta-poo poo and racks of cleaned, sorted clothes. :colbert:

There's also a clothing store near me called The Garment District, which has a clothes-by-the-pound section the size of a basketball half-court. People wade through waist-high mounds of clothing. I like to believe an old lady cartel controls it all, and Onstad's Goodwill store has done nothing to has done nothing to dispel this kind of thinking.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Sigma-X posted:

When I was a child I read the interesting fact that men with larger than average penises preferred to use the flap and fly when urinating, and that men with smaller than average penises use the pull-out-and-over method. Having adopted the first method at the impressionable age, I have later in life been complimented on the caliber of my rifle, although this may not be a causal relationship.

Additionally, I can only assume based upon the methods outlined above that men with exactly average penises piss directly through the pants, sieving a substrate from their waste to use for crafts or as a musky pomade.
Did you just make a post to tell everyone that you have a larger than usual penis not once but three times?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's the point of having a plus-sized penis if you don't tell everyone about it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's the point of having a plus-sized penis if you don't tell everyone about it?

He's just putting the post out there, it is up to us to do what we need to do with it... but also what we want to do with it.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

So I was just digging through the older parts of the thread, and I thought this might reassure some of the folks who've been worrying that this feels a little like the end of the strip.

Chris Onstad posted:

Owlkill posted:

Does anyone else get a 'this could be the end of Achewood' vibe from this arc? I really can't see how we can go back to light-hearted strips about baby otters or cat bros after this. I'm also slightly concerned that Onstad may be in the midst of a nervous breakdown.

Yeah, people have been saying this since like October 2, 2001. Come on, people. Achewood gets weird in the winter and happy in the summer. There is a trend.

(Also I guess nobody got Onstad a special lamp.)

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Penis Ouija posted:

So I was just digging through the older parts of the thread, and I thought this might reassure some of the folks who've been worrying that this feels a little like the end of the strip.

Wasn't this during the Teodor Gargles Dick In A Van storyline?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

It's actually kind of surreal to me that Onstad used to post in this thread.

(.....is that Onstad or a joke account?)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ezzer posted:

It's actually kind of surreal to me that Onstad used to post in this thread.

It's actually him.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Wasn't this during the Teodor Gargles Dick In A Van storyline?

Yep. Though somehow I missed it first time round, so today I got to learn how Roast Beef understands the shape that Teodor would make if he were to take a bite out of a burger.

Ezzer posted:

Actually Onstad, as best as I can tell. He stopped around July '10, though.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

It was him, when I got my GOF book signed, we briefly discussed the thread when I mentioned how strange it was that he didn't look like a young Orson Welles.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Penis Ouija posted:

quote:

Yeah, people have been saying this since like October 2, 2001. Come on, people. Achewood gets weird in the winter and happy in the summer. There is a trend.

(Also I guess nobody got Onstad a special lamp.)

Yeah, I felt told after that. Didn't actually expect the creator to overhear my unkind musings on a messageboard and respond.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Rollersnake posted:

I'm still convinced super-skeezy bin Goodwills are as much a product of Onstad's imagination as the notion that most men hate/can't figure out the underwear flap.

Nobody's penis is small enough to fit through the underwear flap. Folks who have had accidents made by surgeons and only have small tubes for weiners stick their things through that hole and go "ow what a horrible thing this is."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You're meant to hold it (the flap) open until you're done, then replace it. Neither length nor girth is relevant. If some of you subhumans are still confused I'll gladly give you detailed instructions.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Admit it, you just want to watch dude fish their hoggs out and you're so hogg-crazy that you will pretend to be some sort of cock-instructor to do it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Atmus posted:

Admit it, you just want to watch dude fish their hoggs out and you're so hogg-crazy that you will pretend to be some sort of cock-instructor to do it.

This guy goes around all day dissing people's dogs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just wanted to be able to use the phrase "A Brief Primer"

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

This guy goes around all day dissing people's dogs.

You diss my dog, you fluff my hog.

I said that if you speak against Weldon then you are about to enter a world where the only activity that exists is tasting my hog.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

You're meant to hold it (the flap) open until you're done, then replace it. Neither length nor girth is relevant. If some of you subhumans are still confused I'll gladly give you detailed instructions.

Why you gotta try to bring everyone down, Bill?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Bongo Bill posted:

I generally drop trou as soon as I feel the urge and waddle my way to the bathroom.

I am not one to put the pants back on the dancing santa.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

I'm trying to remember this one strip-- I think it was in flowchart form-- something about how to make a girl dinner. All I can remember is "Taco Bell has a value meal for six dollars" and "if she is a down girl she will eat the value meal", something along those lines. I can't find it in the archives. Anyone got a clearer picture of this one?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I remember, quite clearly, that Ray complains about the $40 celery root, saying that it's "that jicama kind of lousy". I sure can't find the strip, though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Pretty sure that was the MANDRAKE ROOT, and that if she is a down girl she will eat Dudemeal. I too can't find that loving strip though—doesn't seem to be transcribed on that Ohnorobot site for some strange reason (despite claiming that it searches 100% of Achewood comics).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I think it's because it's a flowchart, maybe? Anyway, here you go. It may also be because it was originally in GQ?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Tao Jones posted:

I'm trying to remember this one strip-- I think it was in flowchart form-- something about how to make a girl dinner. All I can remember is "Taco Bell has a value meal for six dollars" and "if she is a down girl she will eat the value meal", something along those lines. I can't find it in the archives. Anyone got a clearer picture of this one?

LordSaturn posted:

I remember, quite clearly, that Ray complains about the $40 celery root, saying that it's "that jicama kind of lousy". I sure can't find the strip, though.

I think it's unsearchable because of the GQ original publishing thing.

EDIT: That's what I get for not refreshing the page.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 9, 2014

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I had not seen that before, and it rules.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dude's game stinks so bad families in cars roll up the windows

A dog raises its hackles if Ray's game comes toward it

If Ray's game touches some eggs the mother bird will kill the eggs

Ray's game is melted down chili pepper nailed to a board

Ray should wear a leather mask and shoot 8-ball in a cage in the traveling circus sideshow
Hay all on the floor

A man has a whip

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

"Screw it. If I get a baby tonight, science can take away that baby for a fee" has quickly become one of my favorite achewoodisms

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ezzer posted:

"Screw it. If I get a baby tonight, science can take away that baby for a fee" has quickly become one of my favorite achewoodisms
I really like the idea of making a food so shameful that you have to leave it at a fire station, and take pains to do so anonymously.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

PantsOptional posted:

I think it's because it's a flowchart, maybe? Anyway, here you go. It may also be because it was originally in GQ?

"I let some scientists chop off my dick last night." So wonderful.

Also, Onstad eerily presages Jack in the Box's "Munchie Meal" concept here. Still awaiting the advent of the Finisher's Power Plate in the realm of fast casual dining.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Perfect Friends" is such a great caption.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

"Perfect Friends" is such a great caption.

Hooray for some guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phy posted:

Hooray for some guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ray has a crush on getting high, pass it on.