Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I use the terra-cotta feet for plant pots. They balance flat on the edge of the fuel pit on the egg and get grate to almost perfect level height

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So my first large scale (~26 people) bbq went off pretty well yesterday. I was generally satisfied with the meat. The brisket was top notch, as was the sausage. The ribs weren't perfect but they were decent...I started them late and had to finish them off hard in the oven at like 300 degrees in order to get them done in time. I also kind of failed with the actual "smoke": after heating the grill and starting the AMAZEN thing, I go back out to check the smoker...great smoke coming out, so I think I'm good to go. Three hours later I go check again, and it turns out the smoke was coming from old grease in the grease tray, and the AMAZZZEN thing had gone out hours before. So, I still got about 3 hours of good smoke-on-meat, but I'm now curious how grease smoke flavors meat.

People were REALLY complimentary but I always take stuff like that with a grain of salt because who gonna come in man's house and dis his meat.

I took pictures like a dweeb.

Prime packer brisket from Costco that I trimmed myself. I actually did a pretty solid job on the trimming. Jalapeno cheddar sausages from two different meat markets, and then three racks of STL ribs that I also did a pretty solid job of prepping.

Seasoned brisket with kosher salt and coarse ground colored pepper.

The rub I used, it is outstanding. Cowtown stuff best stuff.

Smoker was literally packed full.

Ribs done. Bark was too soft as I'd had to nuke them in the oven to get them done, but they were cooked very well and were tender and greasy and that rub is killer.

Brisket done, it was pretty excellent:

Sausages done. There isn't a better meat product you can buy for $1 imo.

Inside of brisket:

Inside of ribs. Smoke ring looks weird.

Final spread:

Wife made killer German potato salad and vinegary cole slaw. IMO Both are way better than the mayonnaisey stuff, and you all should give them a try. I had Cowtown regular sauce and Night of the Living Sauce (Best Sauce), plus I made some mustard sauce that was actually really good and was also the most popular much to my surprise.

Anyway, things went off well and I am pleased, smoker performed heroically.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

I have a 5 lb yard bird going in the WSM. About 4 hours in right before I wrapped it.

It more or less has that magic dust dry rub on it.

Does the rub "work"? I always assumed the skin would prevent the flavor from getting anywhere else.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

SoftNum posted:

Does the rub "work"? I always assumed the skin would prevent the flavor from getting anywhere else.

I've had best results pulling skin away from the breast and thigh and rubbing the mix into the meat itself. It seems with chicken with dry rub on the outside is good for making tasty skin, but that's about it. It appears to be difficult to get flavor through the skin and into the meat.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Farking Bastage posted:

I've had best results pulling skin away from the breast and thigh and rubbing the mix into the meat itself. It seems with chicken with dry rub on the outside is good for making tasty skin, but that's about it. It appears to be difficult to get flavor through the skin and into the meat.

Salt and a small amount of sugar are really the only things that get absorbed into the meat. Everything else is just seasoning the surface.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

dalstrs posted:

Salt and a small amount of sugar are really the only things that get absorbed into the meat. Everything else is just seasoning the surface.

That's better than being on the skin where a lot of it falls off and the meat isn't seasoned at all. The real answer is to do both.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I am going to be doing a smoked turkey again this year. Might even do two as this year will be even more people. Would there be any major risk of holding one in a cooler for a couple hours like I would a brisket or shoulder?

I have a 40" MES and could only do 1 turkey at a time but I think I could smoke the first for 4 hours then take and put it in the oven to glaze and crisp skin for a bit while the second one smokes. Then do the same in the over with that one, while the first is wrapped and put in the cooler. They would both be reheated at the party if needed.

VVV - I will probably fill the cooler with as hot water as I can in the bathtub just before putting the turkey in. Drain, whip down and put turkey in it wrapped in parchment, then foil then a towel.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 2, 2017

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Trastion posted:

I am going to be doing a smoked turkey again this year. Might even do two as this year will be even more people. Would there be any major risk of holding one in a cooler for a couple hours like I would a brisket or shoulder?

I have a 40" MES and could only do 1 turkey at a time but I think I could smoke the first for 4 hours then take and put it in the oven to glaze and crisp skin for a couple hours while the second one smokes. Then do the same in the over with that one, while the first is wrapped and put in the cooler. They would both be reheated at the party if needed.

This is a really good question that I would also like the answer to. Probably depends on the temp inside the cooler pre-turkey, how you wrap, and the style of cooler.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Curious how you guys do turkeys, I'm thinking of trying one next week. What wood would you suggest?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Larrymer posted:

Curious how you guys do turkeys, I'm thinking of trying one next week. What wood would you suggest?

I cannot remember what I did last year. Probably going to go with CHerry or Pecan this year. I finished mine last year in the oven to crisp the skin because the MES doesn't get hot enough and when I did that I mopped it with a glaze of Honey & Maple. I might add some brown sugar to it this year just to thicken it a little more.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

Deep fry it, just be careful for the love of god.

E: Oops, thought I was in a different thread!

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 2, 2017

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Trastion posted:

I have a 40" MES and could only do 1 turkey at a time but I think I could smoke the first for 4 hours then take and put it in the oven to glaze and crisp skin for a bit while the second one smokes. Then do the same in the over with that one, while the first is wrapped and put in the cooler. They would both be reheated at the party if needed.

This is basically what I do/have done for the past few years as I've got the MES smoker, but don't host the party.

Smoke it, then wrap and pack it in a cooler. Before serving I pop it in the oven to crisp up the skin and reheat.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I spatchcocked and smoked a turkey last Thanksgiving and it was the best turkey I've ever had. Birds will dry out if you hold them too long or if they were overcooked before holding.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I spatchcocked and smoked a turkey last Thanksgiving and it was the best turkey I've ever had. Birds will dry out if you hold them too long or if they were overcooked before holding.

Did the same last year, great results. Going to do the same this year.

Used A-MAZE-N Pit Masters blend (cherry, hickory and maple).

May brine it this time around.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do what I do and brine that bitch.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Brine the drat turkey.

Being Canadian, and having to do 2 turkeys this year for our earlier Thanksgiving, I did both a dry brine and a wet brine (2 different meals/families).

Turkeys - 14lbs, fresh/never frozen.

Dry brine: Better flavour, moisture level was "this is great turkey". Method was to spread coarse kosher salt under the skin and in the cavity for 48 hours in advance of cooking, then take it out and cook it. It's easy to do, so no excuses not to.

Wet brine: Better flavour, maximum moisture, and everyone going "best turkey ever". Method was to boil water, salt, other spices (juniper, brown sugar, bay leaves, sage, other stuff laying around - google recipes) to dissolve it - then cool it, and finally then submerge the turkey in it for 24 hours in the fridge. And "submerge" meant I used the extra large freezer ziplock bags, which just perfectly hold a 14lb turkey so you don't need huge amounts of liquid. After 24 hours, take it out, rinse it, and put it back in the freezer to dry out for another 24 hours or you get soggy skin. (Pro chef tip I was given: use a hair dryer on no-heat if you want to dry out the skin fast)

Now here's an interesting tidbit about wet brining a turkey. Your cooking times become waaay shorter (like 25% shorter). Best I can guess is that the extra moisture allows heat to travel through the muscles much more quickly. So don't panic when the temperature probe looks to go nuts/fast.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Do what I do and brine that bitch.

I didn't say my turkey was dry, I said it can get dry. Brining won't change that. Wet brining is way too much work for almost no benefit.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is what I’ve done the last two years and will do again this year. Last year I also butterballed it and it was even more amazing. I freaking love turkey.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I also butterballed it

Do you mean you bought an actual Butterball brand turkey? or did you do something to it with butter?

I thought about doing the spatchcock thing but think that would make it even harder to fit in my MES40. Since I am doing 2 this year it looks like I might try one each way. How long do you smoke for if it is spatchcocked? I assume it is less time but my 22lb bird last year took around 3.5 to 4 hours.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Trastion posted:

Do you mean you bought an actual Butterball brand turkey? or did you do something to it with butter?

I thought about doing the spatchcock thing but think that would make it even harder to fit in my MES40. Since I am doing 2 this year it looks like I might try one each way. How long do you smoke for if it is spatchcocked? I assume it is less time but my 22lb bird last year took around 3.5 to 4 hours.

Ha, no, I didn't buy a butterball brand. I injected the turkey with melted butter / olive oil mixed 50/50 (so that it stayed liquid long enough to actually be injected). That, plus spatchcocking the turkey, means that you get super juicy turkey inside and nice crackling skin on the outside.

I did a 19.5lb turkey last year and it was done in around 2 hours, maybe two and a half.

EDIT: I actually did two turkeys last year for this reason: when smoking a turkey, you don't get the amazing drippings you do when roasting it in the oven. So, one was smoked and the other was done in the oven so I could make some awesome gravy. The second one was only like 12lbs, though. This year I'm only doing one, though, because it's a helluva lot of work to do both, even if that gravy is crazy good.

Dr. Pangloss fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It took maybe 2.5 hours for a 12 lbs bird at 325.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Ha, no, I didn't buy a butterball brand. I injected the turkey with melted butter / olive oil mixed 50/50 (so that it stayed liquid long enough to actually be injected). That, plus spatchcocking the turkey, means that you get super juicy turkey inside and nice crackling skin on the outside.

I did a 19.5lb turkey last year and it was done in around 2 hours, maybe two and a half.

EDIT: I actually did two turkeys last year for this reason: when smoking a turkey, you don't get the amazing drippings you do when roasting it in the oven. So, one was smoked and the other was done in the oven so I could make some awesome gravy. The second one was only like 12lbs, though. This year I'm only doing one, though, because it's a helluva lot of work to do both, even if that gravy is crazy good.

I had plenty of drippings to make a big pan of smoked turkey gravy last year. It was great.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Trastion posted:

I had plenty of drippings to make a big pan of smoked turkey gravy last year. It was great.

How’d you catch them? I tried two years ago with an aluminum pan, but they all burned up since I couldn’t really access the lower level.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dr. Pangloss posted:

How’d you catch them? I tried two years ago with an aluminum pan, but they all burned up since I couldn’t really access the lower level.

Put water in the pan you dope. Then you just boil it away and have smoky jus. Add whatever flavorings you want to the water. I did lamb ribs with a pan of red wine, lemons, parsley, basil and garlic. I took it out, strained it, reduced it and used that to glaze them at the end and on the side. I also do a similar thing with pork shoulder for carnitas.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 4, 2017

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Put water in the pan you dope. Then you just boil it away and have smoky jus. Add whatever flavorings you want to the water. I did lamb ribs with a pan of red wine, lemons, parsley, basil and garlic. I took it out, strained it, reduced it and used that to glaze them at the end and on the side. I also do a similar thing with pork shoulder for carnitas.

I’ve done that for low and slow, but with a spatchcock Turkey at 450-475 degrees it’s hard to keep it up. Plus, I’m on a Weber grill, not a true smoker, so opening up to top off the water on the lower level is a bit more involved than it would be otherwise.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Cook it at a lower temperature.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Cook it at a lower temperature.

Kinda defeats the point of spatchcocking it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's for even cooking so the breast doesn't dry out while the thighs are still raw. It just happens to speed up cooking. You're talking about grilling it.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's for even cooking so the breast doesn't dry out while the thighs are still raw. It just happens to speed up cooking. You're talking about grilling it.

Nope, definitely not grilling a 20lb turkey.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Okay, you're roasting it in a charcoal oven. Whatever you want to call it 450-475 is too drat high.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Okay, you're roasting it in a charcoal oven. Whatever you want to call it 450-475 is too drat high.

so, I’m dumb. I was referencing my notes and had my oven/chicken and grill/turkey times and temps mixed up. 2.5 hours at 275. That’s what I get for shooting from the hip. Guess I’ll just double the water in the pan? Sorry for the back and forth due to my confusion.

Dr. Pangloss fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 4, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I usually have a 9"x13" halfway full of water but your mileage may vary.

I was thinking there is no way you're cooking a spatchcocked turkey that high for that long and not having horribly dry meat. I've argued more fervently while being vastly more wrong so it's all good.

Here is a brisket I am smoking and some dogs who are helping.

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict

Larrymer posted:

I smoked one with pecan last year and it turned out awesome.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I usually have a 9"x13" halfway full of water but your mileage may vary.

I was thinking there is no way you're cooking a spatchcocked turkey that high for that long and not having horribly dry meat. I've argued more fervently while being vastly more wrong so it's all good.

Here is a brisket I am smoking and some dogs who are helping.

I am a little worried here. You say "A brisket" and show 2 pictures I would think are brisket. Then say "SOME dogs" and show a single picture of A dog. I hope that second picture isn't the other dog...

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I used a foil pan with some water in it as others have said. Also I was not doing Spatchcocked, it was a full regular bird standing up on a "beer can" stand.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I think I'm going to get a dog and name it Brisket.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Trastion posted:

I am a little worried here. You say "A brisket" and show 2 pictures I would think are brisket. Then say "SOME dogs" and show a single picture of A dog. I hope that second picture isn't the other dog...

The background in the 2nd picture has the other one :ssh:

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Has anyone used any cold smoker accessories with a Weber Smokey Mountain with any degree of success? Just looking to do cheeses and maybe some sausages at some point. I'm looking at a few on Amazon such as:

Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker 12" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CS6YFIC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SMoaAbBRE33K6

Or:

A-MAZE-N Amazen Pellet Smoker with Pitmasters Choice Pellets, 5" L x 8" W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLIQRZW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_RNoaAb7PNEG5W

Thoughts?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I've used the second one you posted with my 18.5" WSM and it works well. I've done bacon, salt, and butter with it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a dual probe thermometer that's under $30 that they've tested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone wanna recommend a dual probe thermometer that's under $30 that they've tested?

I got this one (https://www.ebay.com/i/142541949303?rt=nc) on Amazon last year on sale for around $30. It's been great and I love the wireless functionality. It doesn't appear to be offered on Amazon anymore, so getting it at the same price might be an issue. If you can, though, you can buy with confidence.