Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
i like my women like i like my steak, pink throughout and bloody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

i like my jokes like i like my coding languages, with easy to use templates because i am dumb and boring

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

WorkingPeer posted:

I AM ANGRY ABOUT YOUR LACK OF COOKING KNOWLEDGE YOU FUUUUUCKING PHILISTINE!

dont quote amecyst

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

i like my jokes like i like my coding languages, with easy to use templates because i am dumb and boring

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

its all in my head that its uniformly cooked? neat

:allears:

WorkingPeer posted:

i can vacuum seal chicken breasts or steaks or salmon fillets and some veggies over the weekend, pop a few bags in a sous-vide bath in the morning before going to work, come home, open them up, sear the meat for a minute per side and serve. how is this stupid? its loving easier than prepping all the slow cooker ingredients before work, or spending 30 mins firing up a bbq after work on a rainy day, or making a lasagne or whatever, and it produces really consistent, juicy, evenly cooked meat every time.

suits my needs

its not like i'm whipping up a bone marrow foam to go with my sonically cavitated french fries or something.

it's new technology! :wink:

in the amount of time it took you to get your hipster boiler pot set up you could have set your grill to preheat and thrown poo poo on there then worried about turning it over later and pulled it off and have less crap to clean up afterwards instead you now have a pile of worthless crap in your kitchen because you're too dumb to cook and can't handle simple things like flipping meat

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

flyboi posted:

:allears:

in the amount of time it took you to get your hipster boiler pot set up you could have set your grill to preheat and thrown poo poo on there then worried about turning it over later and pulled it off and have less crap to clean up afterwards instead you now have a pile of worthless crap in your kitchen because you're too dumb to cook and can't handle simple things like flipping meat

you really dont have any idea whats going on, do you?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sham bam bamina! posted:

[grover says all the lf jokes about him were just lieposts]

grover posted:

Edit: Oh, and the tie-in with the existing house! In my case, I decided it was easier just to put in a 2nd wall, as I would have had to dick too much with the roof to try to tie straight in; the existing footer wasn't really built for a 2-story house, either. This will also allow for the settling in the addition to (hopefuly) be even. I ended up undercutting my foundation and pouring a new footer about a foot deeper than the old footer, which the masons blocked up, with a 1" gap. Wasn't enough- the existing wall bowed in 1.5" which ended up messing with my new walls too, which sucked :-( You can't tell in the finished house, but it was readily apparent when hanging the kitchen cabinets, and it still bothers me that my wall isn't perfectly plumb! The two walls are nailed together at several places, most notably, I nailed the the ceiling in the old kitchen to the header I put on the new wall when I broke the new opening between the two. I placed a 2x6 above the existing joists in the attic, used 16D nails to nail through to the new triped 2x12 header, and put on hurricane straps to support the existing joists. Then I knocked out the 2x4s holding the ceiling up. So, essentially, the ceiling is now suspected by hurricane straps from a board nailed through sheating into the other wall! I hope there isn't much settlings between the walls, heh.

quote:

So, essentially, the ceiling is now suspected by hurricane straps from a board nailed through sheating into the other wall! I hope there isn't much settlings between the walls, heh.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

:stonk:

ok, even i know thats crazy...

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

*f-22 flies past*

*grovers house flies away into the clouds never to be seen again*

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
lol are we still arguing about cooking meat

you should all be sentenced to live off soylent for a month

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Vicas posted:

death would be certain

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

IDK sous-vide is pretty useful when your aunt has some sort of mental disorder that makes her literally unable to ever show up on time for thanksgiving dinner so you want the turkey to not suck this year for once

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Vicas posted:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

IDK sous-vide is pretty useful when your aunt has some sort of mental disorder that makes her literally unable to ever show up on time for thanksgiving dinner so you want the turkey to not suck this year for once

how do u crisp the skin, though? deep fryer?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

WorkingPeer posted:

how do u crisp the skin, though? deep fryer?

You split the turkey into breasts and legs first, because they need different temps. Bag the legs together and the breasts together. Cook the legs at the leg temp, lower to breast temp, cook the breasts. This doesn't take forever since you have very good thermal contact with the water and you don't need to break down collagen, so you're just trying to hit the target temp.

Take everything out of the bags then dry the surface very well. Either deep fry or sear it in oil skin-side down for a couple minutes until the skin puffs. It'll puff more like a pork rind than normal because you've properly rendered out the fat.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

You split the turkey into breasts and legs first, because they need different temps. Bag the legs together and the breasts together. Cook the legs at the leg temp, lower to breast temp, cook the breasts. This doesn't take forever since you have very good thermal contact with the water and you don't need to break down collagen, so you're just trying to hit the target temp.

Take everything out of the bags then dry the surface very well. Either deep fry or sear it in oil skin-side down for a couple minutes until the skin puffs. It'll puff more like a pork rind than normal because you've properly rendered out the fat.

:drat:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
post the most worthless meatstarters and greatest sous vide cookers you got

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

sauce-bidet this *points to dilz*

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

guys im launching a kickstarter:

artisinal bespoke butchered sirloin steaks ready to sous vide delivered to your doorstep

(they're actually rump from the supermarket in a cardboard box :ssh:)

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

only 10k needed guys!!!!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Orbi posted:

artisinal bespoke butchered sirloin steaks ready to sous vide delivered to your doorstep

isnt that literally omaha steaks

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Orbi posted:

yeh, so omaha steaks

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

yeh, so obama steaks

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

nuh uh! these are... uh

lincoln steaks!

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

holy poo poo nebraska is barren it actually took me a few minutes to find another somewhat populated city

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

theyre called flyover states for a reason

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Orbi posted:

guys im launching a kickstarter:

you need a unmarked white delivery van to drive around in and stop people on the street

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

you really dont have any idea whats going on, do you?

no i know what sous vide is and it's still for idiot douchetards unless it's being used in a restaurant

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
MY MEAT MUST BE EXACTLY 55C OR ELSE MY STEAK IS TOO DONE OR NOT DONE ENOUGH *scoffs*

people that use sous vide are probably the kind of douche losers that order stupid drinks and demand specific temps at starbucks while they wait for their douche bags to get to temp back home

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

flyboi posted:

unless it's being used in a restaurant

hmm yes the magic of the restaurant that us plebs can never hope to achieve at home because of the mysterious and arcane rituals used in professional food preparation

such magic as "if it falls on the floor before its cooked its fine because its going to be cooked" and "if you get injured in the kitchen either put on a finger condom or face to cauterization"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

we can never ever hope to recreate the precise skill used at any restaurant

in fact cooking at home is for hippy douchebags

just go to a restaurant this it tyool2013 stop wasting your time with this "home cooking" hipster poo poo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

it's literally impossible for a home cook to prepare food equal to the quality obtainable at a restaurant. if you dont believe me just go to olive garden and order a tour of italy

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
:rolleyes:

i'm saying it has no benefit of use at home because it takes almost 0 effort to actually cook a piece of meat through "pleb" means

in a restaurant the benefit is that it cuts down on prep time much like how they steam vegetables in a bag in a microwave before plating that's the only real benefit it provides past people that are incapable of properly cooking

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's literally impossible for a home cook to prepare food equal to the quality obtainable at a restaurant. if you dont believe me just go to olive garden and order a tour of italy

id like to see YOU create a never ending pasta bowl for only $9.99

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Vicas posted:

meatstarters

they're called fluffers

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

flyboi posted:

:rolleyes:

i'm saying it has no benefit of use at home because it takes almost 0 effort to actually cook a piece of meat through "pleb" means

in a restaurant the benefit is that it cuts down on prep time much like how they steam vegetables in a bag in a microwave before plating that's the only real benefit it provides past people that are incapable of properly cooking

look nobody is arguing that grilling isnt loving awesome

it is awesome and i am shamed i havent done more this summer

its just a single method of preparation. nobody is only going to sv their food just like nobody is going to just grill. sv is easy as poo poo and gives an entirely different output. i like sv steaks better but i will still grill them up because i like doing different poo poo all the time.

pls lets hug

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

everything is anything. nobody is right, and nobody is wrong. hail satan and/or jesus

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
i bet you sous vide punks fix your own computers and do your own taxes too

fukkin plebs with their "cooking skills"

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

hail satan and/or jesus

satan xor jesus

(and really, what kind of choice is that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

sous vide satan

• Locked thread