Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Still, that was almost as good as when I was in the hospital and my nurses were Karma and Sunshine.

You know the nursing shortage is bad when strippers are moonlighting at hospitals. At least they already have the uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Two brothers in different year groups at my highschool had the surname Dick. They were often referred to (by other students) as Big Dick and Little Dick. Big Dick was in my class, and his actual first name was Ryan. At one point, a substitute teacher insisted on calling him Richard Ryan, and got increasingly frustrated as we told her she was wrong.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Bobby Digital posted:

You know the nursing shortage is bad when strippers are moonlighting at hospitals. At least they already have the uniform.

Dude, I've worked with more than one nurse that moonlighted as a stripper.

Thread content. Both of these are real surnames of people I know:

Fagot
Faganel

They did not have easy childhoods.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

trauma llama posted:

I'm only nursing to pay my way through pole dancing school?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

Nothing says sexy like shapeless purple scrubs with Ziggy cartoons on them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The US Air Force loves Dick Bong. Just about every Air Force Base has a Dick Bong Road, sometimes two.

The dude WAS pretty badass.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Pastry of the Year posted:

Nothing says sexy like shapeless purple scrubs with Ziggy cartoons on them.

It's those upside down watches that do it for me.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Camera

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

If you think about it, Asia is a pretty weird name.

If you are Asian and named Asia, it's like, yeah, duh.

If you aren't Asian and named Asia, then just what on earth is going on.

I think I may have posted this before here, but my husband's uncle's sister, who is the whitest lady of all time, has an adopted Cambodian daughter and they named her Asia. It's just too tacky for words.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have met more than one white woman named China. Are they named after the fine dining foodware?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I have met more than one white woman named China. Are they named after the fine dining foodware?

Likely, the dolls.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

trauma llama posted:

Thread content. Both of these are real surnames of people I know:

Fagot
Faganel

They did not have easy childhoods.

This is Donald Fagen, part of Steely Dan and also an accomplished dad rock/yacht rock solo artist.

Once when I was searching for his music in my playlist I typed "gay" and got confused why nothing showed up in the autocomplete.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

At least it's pronounced "Fay-gen," I'm pretty sure

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Laserjet 4P posted:

Once when I was searching for his music in my playlist I typed "gay" and got confused why nothing showed up in the autocomplete.

I don't understand, what were you expecting to come up?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

if they had typed "fag" it would have auto-completed to Fagen, which is what they were expecting. Instead, they wrote gay, which does not auto-complete into Fagen.

Because fag is a slur for gays, you see

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I think it was an attempt at a joke but boy was it ever a dud

Either that or L4P also might type "dinner" into the playlist search and be surprised at the absence of Meatloaf

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Jestin.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Sven Hammar.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Why does anyone named Richard EVER go by "Dick"? My dad's name is Richard, he's almost seventy, and he still doesn't let anyone call him that (except my brother.)

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Flipping through the channels tonight we came across a DIY crafting show hosted by a woman named Didiayer *lastname* . How do you even pronounce that?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Astrofig posted:

Flipping through the channels tonight we came across a DIY crafting show hosted by a woman named Didiayer *lastname* . How do you even pronounce that?

Some sort of bastardization of Didier I suppose?

I met a little kid named Blade the other day, that was pretty cool. He had a rat tail.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Nostradingus posted:

I met a little kid named Blade the other day, that was pretty cool. He had a rat tail.

You could have just said the first sentence; the second is implied.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Why does anyone named Richard EVER go by "Dick"? My dad's name is Richard, he's almost seventy, and he still doesn't let anyone call him that (except my brother.)

So instead of a Dick he's a pussy :smugmrgw:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

I think it was an attempt at a joke but boy was it ever a dud

I fix

Laserjet 4P posted:

This is Donald Fagen, part of Steely Dan and also an accomplished dad rock/yacht rock solo artist.

Fagen isn't that funny of a name but he 100% always looks like he was interrupted in the process of trading Russian teenagers for diamonds

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rejected names for newly-born children in Finland last year (all the English-language ones would have been rejected as a matter of course because names have to be Finnish):

Boys:

Saurus
Soulio
Rontti (What's Left Over When You Eat An Apple, also Scoundrel)
Lexx
Jubileum
Rolandaxis
S.
Haades
Moolok
KingJames
Southerncross
Lyricpoet
Karhukuningas (Bear King)
Greed
Pasintero (Pasi's Tero. Pasi and Tero are both normal names.)

Girls:

Toisaa (:confused:)
Ammu (Moo)
Ravenheart
Hukka (Euphemism For Wolf)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Mar 1, 2017

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Rejected names for newly-born children in Finland last year (all the English-language ones would have been rejected as a matter of course because names have to be Finnish):

Is this true even for people who are not native Finns or naturalized citizens, like maybe people working there on a visa?

edit: a couple minutes of research says that waivers are given for "valid family, religious or ethnic reasons" per Wikipedia.

HelloIAmYourHeart has a new favorite as of 14:21 on Mar 1, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Is this true even for people who are not native Finns or naturalized cititzens, like maybe people working there on a visa?

No.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It would be pretty wicked if someone went into labor on holiday and therefore is forced to give their kid a Finnish name...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Are wolves such a taboo in Finland that you need a euphemism for them?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are wolves such a taboo in Finland that you need a euphemism for them?

Old languages tend to have (or have had) euphemisms for important (either as threats or as food or both) animals. You can call it taboo if you want.

e: Well I don't know if they actually "tend to" or not but many do.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Mar 1, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The "real" Finnish word for wolf, Susi, has been in use as a name for both men and women for over a hundred years but it's very rare.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Well, I had no idea. I can't think of anything like that in dutch or english, but maybe I just have a blind spot because I don't really understand the mechanism or the need it fulfills. Mildly interesting though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

Well, I had no idea. I can't think of anything like that in dutch or english, but maybe I just have a blind spot because I don't really understand the mechanism or the need it fulfills. Mildly interesting though.

English is like two hundred years old as a language. They'd killed off most animals on the island by then.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

If you think about it, Asia is a pretty weird name.

If you are Asian and named Asia, it's like, yeah, duh.

If you aren't Asian and named Asia, then just what on earth is going on.

When I was teaching in Spain I had at two students who were white as the driven snow named Africa.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Flipperwaldt posted:

My understanding is that it's on the order of "speak of the devil and he will come," dating back to the days when "killed by animals" was a relatively common way to go out.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Words for animals like wolves and bears being taboo is something that extends pretty far back in human history across many different languages.

Contribution to the thread: Pud

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Edit: Another.

Say Nothing has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Mar 2, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Words for animals like wolves and bears being taboo is something that extends pretty far back in human history across many different languages.

I heard somewhere that the german equivalent for "speak of the devil" is "name the wolf and he comes running". Can anyone confirm/deny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

ladron posted:

I heard somewhere that the german equivalent for "speak of the devil" is "name the wolf and he comes running". Can anyone confirm/deny?

Wikipedia has a collection of those, the Czech one is close to that one. (Along with "Speak of the poo poo, and there it is on your shoe")

e - lot of languages have a wolf in that saying. Some just like beating up dogs :shrug:

Hogo Fogo has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Mar 2, 2017