Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Alright, back to the ol' drawing board, lets do this thing the old way."
"By doing wildly different adaptations and shooting a lot of new material to make the show truly our own thing?"
"Nah, more like season 1. Shoot some stuff, then the episode becomes the cents ays."
"Oh"
"You know what? kids like annie mays. Why do we have to change the show at all? It'll be like nayroot-oh but even bigger, with sams-or-rays"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Well, let's move on. Kids like trains, right?"

"OH COME THE gently caress ON"

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

that Hexagon or whatever guy gave some insight on his blog about the whole go-busters thing, and it mostly came down to being about 5 minutes of usable japanese footage per episode when their target for that is about 10 minutes minimum per episode and preferably more like 15

which i can believe pretty easily considering everything people have said about the series

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not about quality it's about budget

this is what i meant. when has saban ever given a gently caress about quality?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I know some late 90s PR is considered the best, but was it mostly Judd Lynn & crew and did Saban contribute in any manner to actual showrunning?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GuyUpNorth posted:

I know some late 90s PR is considered the best, but was it mostly Judd Lynn & crew and did Saban contribute in any manner to actual showrunning?

I'm not sure Saban has ever done that, no.

When we talk about Saban doing this or that, we mostly mean the company, not the man. The man himself doesn't have much of a role with things. Kind of like Disney now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was pretty heavily involved in the first season though, wasn't he?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's not about quality it's about budget

mods new thread title please

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Early PR Saban was a guy with a cheap studio pumping out Saturday morning cartoons like Kissyfur and at least one Nickelodeon style game show. His competition was companies whose names you have totally forgotten like Sunbow (Hasbro cartoons) and Ruby-Spears (Alvin & The Chipmunks).

Present day Saban is the CEO of Univision, is known for his foreign policy forums and political donations. He is a huge influence for the DNC's hawkish corporate wing to support Israel in the way that Sheldon Adelson is for the GOP. He has a lot more on his plate now to be bothered with PR. Yet the image of early Saban is so much more widely known that when Univision bought Gawker the comments were equal parts conspiracy that he'd tilt the news coverage, and confusion why the guy who makes MMPR would have a nefarious political agenda.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

I haven't watched any Saban2 seasons before this one, but it sort of cracks me up how for as bad as Megaforce supposedly is, everybody's list of how to fix it is basically "please please please emphasize the pirate thing more oh god." Power Rangers just seems to really hate pirates as an aesthetic. Divatox was sort of an in name only pirate whose character was written on a napkin to be an alternative to the Carranger villains, and Captain Mutiny got hosed in order to build deeper bridges to In Space.
Pirates? Who the gently caress needs pirates?! We have morphinominal space ninjas!

-- A Saban producer and probably Lynn.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Craptacular! posted:

I'm five episodes or whatever into Ninja Steel and it's nice enough, but I don't think I look forward to seeing the same cast change costumes to... Kyuranger? How the gently caress are they going to explain the substantially larger team? I guess I shouldn't doubt Judd Lynn to pull it off, though.

Is that their plan? I would expect 2 years of Ninja Steel and then 2 years of Kyuranger as their own self-contained shows.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
The Goseiger/Gokaiger thing was a one time deal. I don't think they'll do that again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dino Charge and Super Dino Charge were both Kyoryuger correct?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

parallelodad posted:

Yes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

parallelodad posted:

Yes. Same with Samurai and Super Samurai.

I expect Super Ninja Steel,

and then like, "Star Rebels" and "Super Star Rebels" or whatever they end up calling Kyuranger. I'd be amazed if they skip Kyuranger, because supposedly Saban collaborated on the zord designs or something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Super Space Ranger will be season 25 or something won't it?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Yes. Same with Samurai and Super Samurai.

I expect Super Ninja Steel,

and then like, "Star Rebels" and "Super Star Rebels" or whatever they end up calling Kyuranger. I'd be amazed if they skip Kyuranger, because supposedly Saban collaborated on the zord designs or something.

They already said it will be Super Ninja Steel.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Morby posted:

They already said it will be Super Ninja Steel.

I desperately need a citation on that, because that's a real low blow to a show with visual design as fun as Kyuranger :negative:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

They are very likely to adapt Kyuranger though? It's Zyuohger they will be skipping. And by the time preproduction for <spacename>ranger starts Kruranger will be done and they know what footage they have to work with.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

I desperately need a citation on that, because that's a real low blow to a show with visual design as fun as Kyuranger :negative:

http://amp.denofgeek.com/us/tv/power-rangers/262935/power-rangers-season-25-is-super-ninja-steel

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This doesn't say anything about it being Kyuranger? I think we might be on different wavelengths here lol.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I think you guys are getting confused. Ninja Steel will be two seasons like Samurai and Dino Charge. Seasons 26 and 27 will be the Kyuranger adaptation.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 30, 2017

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

This doesn't say anything about it being Kyuranger? I think we might be on different wavelengths here lol.

We'll have 2 years of Ninja Steel. Kyuranger will be adapted afterwards (most likely).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Season ౩0 will be an adaptation of a Sentai where bandai/toei have hired Austin St John, Amy Jo Johnson, Walter Emanuel Jones, Jason David Frank, and David Yost, called Americanger. Saban will hire all Japanese Kiwi actors and make it Power Rangers Yamato.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Americanger is already a thing

It's called season 2 of Akibarabger

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 30, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I like how the blue ranger is like "did Tommy just touch my boobs?"

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Lost and Found in Translation: still a good episode.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I like how the blue ranger is like "did Tommy just touch my boobs?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

They are very likely to adapt Kyuranger though? It's Zyuohger they will be skipping. And by the time preproduction for <spacename>ranger starts Kruranger will be done and they know what footage they have to work with.

Hell, by that time, they'll probably know if there's anything usable in the season after Kyuranger also.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Craptacular! posted:

Early PR Saban was a guy with a cheap studio pumping out Saturday morning cartoons like Kissyfur and at least one Nickelodeon style game show. His competition was companies whose names you have totally forgotten like Sunbow (Hasbro cartoons) and Ruby-Spears (Alvin & The Chipmunks).

Present day Saban is the CEO of Univision, is known for his foreign policy forums and political donations. He is a huge influence for the DNC's hawkish corporate wing to support Israel in the way that Sheldon Adelson is for the GOP. He has a lot more on his plate now to be bothered with PR. Yet the image of early Saban is so much more widely known that when Univision bought Gawker the comments were equal parts conspiracy that he'd tilt the news coverage, and confusion why the guy who makes MMPR would have a nefarious political agenda.

I wouldn't be surprised if while he isn't directly involved with PR too much these days, he probably still keeps a reasonably close eye on the brand, after all he spent most of a decade bringing the concept to life in the first place, that's dedication and even a sort of love if nothing else

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Ricardo Medina Jr. sentenced to 6 years in prison, possibility of getting out in 3 years on parole. Guess they can get Cole back for the next big anniversary season if they really wanted to.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just keep him away from the Jungle Sword.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

jivjov posted:

Ricardo Medina Jr. sentenced to 6 years in prison, possibility of getting out in 3 years on parole. Guess they can get Cole back for the next big anniversary season if they really wanted to.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I have no doubt Saban loves Sentai and PR alot,he dedicated alot just to bring it here, but he's a businessman that started from the bottom.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if while he isn't directly involved with PR too much these days, he probably still keeps a reasonably close eye on the brand, after all he spent most of a decade bringing the concept to life in the first place, that's dedication and even a sort of love if nothing else

Apparently he was closely enough involved with Samurai to effect the script. I went to the last Morphicon and, in addition to most of the Samurai team, they had one of the primary script writers there. I asked what was up with some of Antonio's dialogue ( i.e. He is supposed to be a Latino, Spanish speaker but the actor clearly does not speak Spanish). In particular "fantástico" drove me nuts. The writer explained that Saban heard it once and thought it was so amazing that Antonio should say it all the time.

Morby fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 31, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Somewhere in the world is Haim Saban's original Power Rangers pitch using Bioman footage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Funky Valentine posted:

Somewhere in the world is Haim Saban's original Power Rangers pitch using Bioman footage.

You can watch it if you want, kind of. All they did for this video was change the name of the show and adjust the source material from Bioman to Zyuranger. But the music and actors etc is just recycled from the Bio-Man pitch.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Billy Cranston: An athletic heart-throb with a body of steel

:laffo:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sockser posted:

Billy Cranston: An athletic heart-throb with a body of steel

:laffo:

Well they weren't wrong even the eventual Billy was this. They just put him in dumpy overalls. He still had a new girlfriend every week and was jacked AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, he wore a lot of tshirts when he was babysitting the kid rangers in season 3, and he was ripped