Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Please, please don't give David Cage money.

I didn't think that Beyond: Two Souls was that bad :kiddo:

I'm only halfway through it though so maybe it will take an Indigo Prophecy before the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm pretty sure I've almost completed Oxenfree. If you liked Life is Strange, it's absolutely a must-buy (especially when it's so cheap). Very creepy, great dialogue and voice acting, and a neat art style.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I didn't think that Beyond: Two Souls was that bad :kiddo:

I'm only halfway through it though so maybe it will take an Indigo Prophecy before the end

It would have been more interesting if it did

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The atmosphere was good, but that story...euuch. Maybe that was intentional, but I dislike playing as completely repellent protagonist. Most games don't pull that off well.

The atmosphere was AMAZING but I think the main problem was you only had like 10 minutes to sympathize with your player character before he revealed himself as a giant rear end in a top hat due to mental illness. I mean yeah his wife goes insane too, but she is deprived of all agency because of it. Your character isn't though.

Not only that, but it doesn't give you much indication that he is trying to FIGHT the way his illness affects his relationships with his family. He says 'sorry' a lot after the fact, but he never begs his wife's forgiveness nor does he tell her what's going on.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Another game with amazing monster design but typical story hang-ups (see: Satan's Giant Dick. Username, anyone?).
I wanna live in a world where Satan's Giant Dick is considered a "typical" story hang-up.

That game needed an award just for using jiggle physics fairly and properly on an enormous schlong.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Not only that, but it doesn't give you much indication that he is trying to FIGHT the way his illness affects his relationships with his family. He says 'sorry' a lot after the fact, but he never begs his wife's forgiveness nor does he tell her what's going on.

He does at the very end in a letter he writes to her. But, of course, she's already dead, and their child has already been taken away or whatever happened.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is the last part of Layers of Fear with replaying the first 3/4th of it that were in EA? it was kind of a neat game but I haven't finished it because I don't want to replay everything that I already did

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lakeview Cabin Collection and 35MM are in my Summer Sale cart, do I want to press buy while they're in it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oxenfree is pretty dope.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ZearothK posted:

Lakeview Cabin Collection and 35MM are in my Summer Sale cart, do I want to press buy while they're in it?

Lakeview Cabin is definitely worth the 2.50 I paid for it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Should I play System Shock 2 first without any mods, or should I root around for some graphics rehauls?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Even when it's not being "Oh poo poo what do I do!" type of scary, Lakeview Cabin is usually really good for funny/stupid things just happening on their own. :v:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Bogart posted:

Should I play System Shock 2 first without any mods, or should I root around for some graphics rehauls?

I still think it's just as effective without any mods. The base art style is a lot of bold lines and primary colors, so they help the chunky 3D models look more natural. If you haven't had any little panic attacks by the time you reach Hydroponics, maybe look into mods then.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Safari Disco Lion posted:

He does at the very end in a letter he writes to her. But, of course, she's already dead, and their child has already been taken away or whatever happened.

Yeah that's what I mean. At that point no one gives a poo poo, or, at least I didn't

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Zombie Samurai posted:

I still think it's just as effective without any mods. The base art style is a lot of bold lines and primary colors, so they help the chunky 3D models look more natural. If you haven't had any little panic attacks by the time you reach Hydroponics, maybe look into mods then.

Cool, will do. Just played the System Shock remake pre-alpha demo. It looks pretty. :shobon:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Yardbomb posted:

Even when it's not being "Oh poo poo what do I do!" type of scary, Lakeview Cabin is usually really good for funny/stupid things just happening on their own. :v:

Lol, I tripped over that stupid rake enough times to give one of the characters a gushing head wound.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I was 100% on board with lakeview cabin collection until that loving morse code puzzle. Who the gently caress does things like that? I was getting along ok in the game without having to look anything up until I got to that part. It really captures the humor, vulgarity, horror and gratuitous violence that 80's slasher flicks were weirdly adept at combining. But that puzzle just threw me off the whole experience.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Is the last part of Layers of Fear with replaying the first 3/4th of it that were in EA? it was kind of a neat game but I haven't finished it because I don't want to replay everything that I already did

More or less. The order is reshuffled and there are new set pieces but if it's fresh in your memory there won't be enough new content worth a revisit.

ZearothK posted:

LCC gets surprisingly tense and there are a ton of stupid things to amuse yourself with even when you aren't getting knifed by murderers. Recently I found you can pop pills until the character ODs and shits themselves and then pick up the turd to use as a weapon.

EDIT: Yeah it's worth it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

ZearothK posted:

You can get 35MM as part of this bundle at the minute.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Also have this FPS supposedly coming out towards the end of the year: Inner Chains I'm excited.

e: also the art director and creator, Tomasz Strzalkowski is sufficiently Polish and a definite apostle of Beksinki's: http://tomstrzal.com/

But it is Kickstarter, and game development, so you can safely add at least a few months to any estimated dates.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 3, 2016

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
What is with Poland and raising artists that make really hosed up creepy poo poo? (I mean this in the nicest possible way because it's all gorgeous.)

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
they channel their xenophobia into making abstract representations of the immigrant threat

no i dont know but that sounds right doesnt it

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Decades of Soviet oppression while still being close enough to the West to get our radio signals.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Terrible Opinions posted:

Decades of Soviet oppression while still being close enough to the West to get our radio signals.

Maybe

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Are there many good horror games that give you everything you need to take care of the threats?

Resident Evil 4-6 and Dead Space 1-3 are pretty golden for it, but I've gone through those.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VoidBurger posted:

What is with Poland and raising artists that make really hosed up creepy poo poo? (I mean this in the nicest possible way because it's all gorgeous.)

Years of being ruled by various other peoples have left them to be influenced by the nightmares of others. With but a pinch of overall Russian Everything is Terrible.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Doctor Goat posted:

Are there many good horror games that give you everything you need to take care of the threats?

Resident Evil 4-6 and Dead Space 1-3 are pretty golden for it, but I've gone through those.

Resident Evil 0 gave you more than enough ammo to take everything down without having to resort to dodging threats or whatever. It was the first RE game I played because of this fact.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Doctor Goat posted:

The Evil Within is essentially RE4 with more body horror.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

WaltherFeng posted:

I could not stand The Evil Within.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

This is a lie and a slander.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

TEW was a good game

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

TEW was good but you weren't exactly swimming with ammo

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Hell, sometimes you were lucky to pick up one bullet. Or you wouldn't have enough room a lot of the time. I think the ammo drops in that game must have been calibrated to how much ammo you already had.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lacklustre Hero posted:

That in and of itself isn't a bad thing, survival horror games are best when you are scraping by with two bullets and no health. The issue with TEW was that it had a bad habit of giving you very little ammo and then "environment bosses" where you had to either run away or kill them with the environs, but it wasn't well communicated so you just waste a ton of ammo for nothing.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What is it exactly that makes TEW such a bad game? I see people complaining about it all the time but I have never heard any good reasons.

Aviron
Oct 6, 2011

treat posted:

What is it exactly that makes TEW such a bad game? I see people complaining about it all the time but I have never heard any good reasons.

It's not a bad game by any means, it just got hyped to hell because it was developed by Shinji Mikami and people were disappointed when it didn't deliver. If you are interested in actual flaws, the game has some troublesome bosses and the story is really vague / doesn't make a lot of sense.

Aviron fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 5, 2016

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

treat posted:

That's cause in reality it's actually a well made horror game with a lot of interesting, varied set pieces coupled with gruesome enemies and bosses that you fight with either common place survival horror weapon staples (like a shotgun or magnum) or you use the fun gimmick weapon of the game which is a multi-purpose crossbow. Or you can also just be a jerk to the enemies in a number of interesting ways:

Now the game definitely has some problem areas, but I think the good in the game far and away exceeds the bad. Just in all honesty, it's not Resident Evil 4 and I don't think it was meant to be.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The car park boss was pretty bad. And the mansion where Ruvik randomly spawned and beelined for you was also real crap.

The Kidman DLCs were goddamm exquisite though.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Melee felt like an astonishingly novel way to declare your intent to suicide, the guns didn't have enough ammunition and felt like garbage, and even killing enemies with the bow wasn't all that satisfying.

I only got up to the chainsaw dude in the barn, though, because the game decided at that point that the chainsaw dude should be completely invincible. Maybe the game gets super awesome after that point.

The only really good moment I had in the game was watching the invincible dude lurch around with a flamethrower round stuck in him, torching everyone he run past on his way to get to me.

Parasite Eve 2 is another example of a game with good horror elements where you can actually fight things. It had slipped my mind.

i like horror and i like being surprised and having no idea what's going to happen in a game, but I hate just hiding from things/running from things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Doctor Goat posted:

Have you played the Suffering games? I know people like to hate on the sequel, but I still enjoyed it.

There's also Cold Fear, a RE4 clone from the Xbox/PS2 era. It's kinda interesting how heavily Dead Space 1 cribbed from it.

The Marine campaign in the first Alien vs Predator PC game is scary as gently caress, and you're armed to the teeth. The Marine campaigns in AvP2 and AvP2010 are similarly scary, but nowhere near AvPClassic.

And if we creatively expand "take care of" beyond "shoot in the face until dead", Alien Isolation gives you all the tools you need to survive.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 5, 2016