Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Soak test invites have apparently gone out to Verizon Moto X 2014 owners.

How does one get in the soak test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

First you pee your pants.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

hooah posted:

How does one get in the soak test?

You have to sign up for the Motorola feedback network on their website.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So I unfortunately found myself at someone else's house at about 5 AM with dead phone and a Samsung Galaxy S5 USB 3.0 phone charger. Can someone please explain to me how that retarded cable came to exist? Who is transferring so much stuff to their phone over USB that they need a 3.0 cable and why is the micro USB connector like the dumbest designed thing I have ever seen, it's a micro USB plug with an extra retarded number of pins grafted onto it in a separate but attached plug.

This is dumb Samsung, stop it right now.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Three Olives posted:

They did... awhile ago. The S6 has microUSB like everything else.

Bring on Type C!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/bEVD4De32Uo

5.1 seems to be ready for the 1st gen Moto X.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Mogomra posted:

lmao called it. what the gently caress is the delay with the turbo goddamn

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Three Olives posted:

So I unfortunately found myself at someone else's house at about 5 AM with dead phone and a Samsung Galaxy S5 USB 3.0 phone charger. Can someone please explain to me how that retarded cable came to exist? Who is transferring so much stuff to their phone over USB that they need a 3.0 cable and why is the micro USB connector like the dumbest designed thing I have ever seen, it's a micro USB plug with an extra retarded number of pins grafted onto it in a separate but attached plug.

Dumb on a phone sure, but what is wrong with that connector?

It lets you plug a normal micro USB cable into the device if you for some reason you don't have that cable with you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mogomra posted:

Lol eat poo poo verizon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

It's very easy to see how it came to exist: the USB consortium, when designing micro USB3 prioritized backward compatibility of the port over every other consideration rather than just saying "gently caress it guys, let's make a port that doesn't suck and not worry about people having to buy new $5 cables!"

dissss posted:

Dumb on a phone sure, but what is wrong with that connector?

It lets you plug a normal micro USB cable into the device if you for some reason you don't have that cable with you.
That's the only reason it exists! It's "micro" but barely smaller than the USB plug on the other side of the cable.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Three Olives posted:

That was only on the S5 and the Note 3, it's already gone. It did charge the Note 3 crazy fast though, in the pre-quick charge days, and you could always use everyone else's chargers when you didn't have it with you.

That said it was huge and ugly and if the rumors are true the Note 5 has moved on to USB-C along with everyone else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FAUXTON posted:

Lol eat poo poo verizon

Att as well. This is only hitting the unbranded devices.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

I'm willing to give Motorola a pass on this, as realistically they still don't have the clout or resources to tell carriers to go gently caress themselves. On the other hand, if Samsung wants to remain competitive with Apple, it's time to release one Galaxy Note and one Galaxy S as opposed to the AT&T Galaxy S or whatever, they have no excuse or reason not to at this point. If they want to stay at the top of the premium race they have to provide premium support.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

bull3964 posted:

At first yeah. Carriers will lag a bit but it shouldn't* be too far behind.

* it will be though sorry goons

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Three Olives posted:

Believe it or not that's the actual standard USB 3.0 Micro-B connector.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

bull3964 posted:

:dong:

Anything would be better than the Gingerbread I'm currently on, though. The people who sent that refurbished Verizon 2013 instead of new T-Mobile / unbranded 2013 apologized and said they'd send me the right one if I returned the old one. So hopefully within a week I'll have the right phone, just before/after they send out the Lollipop update (I have no idea how long it is from an announcement like that to availability).

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yea, its called Superspeed and is a part of the standard, not something Samsung just made up. I never saw anyone but them implement it though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lamentable dustman posted:

Yea, its called Superspeed and is a part of the standard, not something Samsung just made up. I never saw anyone but them implement it though.
I have an external hard drive with it. Samsung is the only phone maker that's used it, though, that I know of.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Not for phones anyway, but it's plenty prevalent in USB hard and optical drives.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

The case for my PC has this too. My motherboard doesn't seem to support it though. v:)v

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Whole mess of AT&T unlocked refurb 32GB HTC M8s on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/381249378606?rmvSB=true

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Of course, at the price, the only ones left are the Windows Phone versions.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Installing 5.1 on my developer GSM 2013 Moto x right now.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

IuniusBrutus posted:

Installing 5.1 on my developer GSM 2013 Moto x right now.

Gimmie a trip report please, still kinda nervous after the way my N7 turned out

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've had it for about a week on my 2013 moto x, it's really nice. It performs pretty much exactly the same if a little bit faster than 4.4 did especially with all of the fancy animations going on. Battery life seems to have improved. It seems like they put a lot more effort into basic aesthetics with lolipop cause everything animates really smooth and looks hella slick

the only thing I don't like is that text notifications have their own little popup on the top of the screen instead of just showing on the notification bar, which can overlap ui elements in other apps so you have to swipe the notification away/wait for it to dissappear which is dumb as hell

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sir Unimaginative posted:

No you don't get it, Samsung used it so it's bad don't you see??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It actually is bad, and that it's being deprecated is further proof. Samsung using it is just further proof.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
I bought a Moto G last night and when I opened it today it sort of seemed like it might have been used before. The back case wasn't completely snapped on and the screen cover that showed all the features definitely looked like it may have been reapplied by someone (there were lots of air bubbles under it) and I could swear it looked like someone had had their fingers on the back of the phone.

Before I go exchange this thing for another one at Best Buy (I only got it there because I had a gift card to use) I thought I'd ask the Android thread if that's maybe normal for Moto phones to have air bubbles under the protective screen cover and not have the back snapped on completely?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Air bubbles could be because the phone has been sitting for awhile. The back case not being snapped is a little weird.

I got my Moto G at Best Buy and didn't have these issues. Just go exchange it for another.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Air bubbles could be because the phone has been sitting for awhile. The back case not being snapped is a little weird.

I got my Moto G at Best Buy and didn't have these issues. Just go exchange it for another.

Guess I will. The other thing I found weird, but again I don't know if this is normal for Motorola or not, is that the little pamphlets that came in the box were directly under the phone and bent into a curved shape from that and in all the unboxing videos they look to be under the cardboard the phone sits on, the same area of the box the charger is in.

Oh well, guess it can't hurt to exchange it for another. When you got your Moto G at Best Buy was there any sort of tape or seal on the box?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ev posted:

Guess I will. The other thing I found weird, but again I don't know if this is normal for Motorola or not, is that the little pamphlets that came in the box were directly under the phone and bent into a curved shape from that and in all the unboxing videos they look to be under the cardboard the phone sits on, the same area of the box the charger is in.

Oh well, guess it can't hurt to exchange it for another. When you got your Moto G at Best Buy was there any sort of tape or seal on the box?

No, I don't believe so. I ordered it online so they slapped a sticker on it for online pickup purposes, but I don't see signs of any other tape or seal on my Moto G box. Also, my pamphlets are still in the box and flat.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Could have also been a quality control pull at the factory

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm not in the anti-Samsung brigade, I have a Tab S that I really like and don't have any Samsung bitches about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Could have also been a quality control pull at the factory

It would have been repacked properly if that were the case. I'd exchange it because why else are you buying a new phone but to get a new phone? This definitely sounds like someone has at least fiddled with it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

It actually is bad, and that it's being deprecated is further proof. Samsung using it is just further proof.

Hey, once I realized I'd be able to replace the cable I really like the 3.0 connection.

On my 2TB hard drive. No one needs that on a cellphone. The only win that comes from using that port is you can use a normal 2.0 micro cable when you inevitably lose/damage the 3.0 cable.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Hey, once I realized I'd be able to replace the cable I really like the 3.0 connection.

On my 2TB hard drive. No one needs that on a cellphone. The only win that comes from using that port is you can use a normal 2.0 micro cable when you inevitably lose/damage the 3.0 cable.

I don't understand why Windows couldn't do what OS X always could and simply negotiate higher power for portable HDDs connected via a standard 2.0 cable. Those Y-shaped Frankencables were always retarded.

Either way, the new USB-C fixes these problems at the cost of about a decade in transition to the new standard. I have no problems with new computers working like the MacBook or better yet, the Chromebook Pixel where you just get two ports, one on either side, and you can charge with either side. It'll never be better than the MagSafe 2, but it's a decent enough compromise to just have everything use one standard (and thank god, reversible) cable and port. Everything using the same size and type of cable for everything will be amazing, especially if you're old enough to remember things pre-1995 which was just connection hell in everything. If they get to the point to where HDMI could be replaced with the same cable I'd probably just die because it'd be the cabling equivalent to nirvana.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Or you could just live exclusively in Apple-land and use Thunderbolt for everything. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FlyingCheese posted:

Or you could just live exclusively in Apple-land and use Thunderbolt for everything. :v:

And pay 3x price for everything because Intel is so stingy on licensing the tech.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

kitten smoothie posted:

And pay 3x price for everything because Intel is so stingy on licensing the tech.

I never said it was a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I have my google account on my old phone and my google account on my new phone. I sync contacts on my old phone and then go sync contacts on my new phone. Not a single contact is synched. My wife recently tried the same thing and had the same result on her old/new phones.

What am I doing wrong?