Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

Pick it for the final photo and stare reminiscent into some shrubs.

I picked one that was just Iggy's rear end.

And New Game+ can't come out fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Oxxidation posted:

So here's something I wish I'd known before - hunts can be reported in to any tipster, not just the one you took the hunt from. Whoops.

I'm surprised you never discovered this by accident. I'd often do hunts on the way to quest spots to be efficient about questing, so I learned this by trying to eat before a dungeon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

holy poo poo chapter 13 is shockingly loving bad

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo chapter 13 is shockingly loving bad

yeah, for the ultimate ring that people want for some reason that ring sure is lovely

doom sucks up drat near all your mp for nothing

x-zone works decently well on small groups but it doesn't suck up everything

holy is the best spell and it only activates on dodge (good luck using it if the enemy's arm falls off)

because of the enemies' arms falling off sometimes, you can accidentally get yourself in a situation where you have to wait 2-3 minutes while your mp regenerates so that you can kill the enemy flailing its stubs at you fruitlessly while blocking you from advancing in any way

for an imperial fortress full of daemons, it sure seems sparsely populated, and the whole keycard fetchquest bullshit is annoying

lol at ardyn's brain teaser puzzle in that dungeon that could be solved by a mentally-challenged 2 year old

also ardyn is way too poorly fleshed out as a villian and a number of characters are introduced and alluded to as important and then drop off the face of the earth

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 18, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i am really mad about ffxv in general. it's magic system is astonishingly limited for a "crafting system"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The ending. I don get it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

2-3 minutes? I think you mean like 30 seconds max.

Though I can't imagine how badly you would have hosed up to be stuck against a single enemy at sub 10% hp before you get the sword.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gotta love how prompto's secret is built up and then loving handwaved away by even the main characters in the course of like half an hour. a loving invalid got hold of this game for the last half and ruined it with barely intelligible poo poo. "let's replace the fun roadtrip hunting cooking game with something comparable to the worst elements of past FF games" what the heck

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So someone has found a reliable way to get the "permanent" Aranea glitch. Since guest characters are invincible it should make some hard post game fights easier. If you want to get rid of her you'll probably have to go do the ending again though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

2-3 minutes? I think you mean like 30 seconds max.

Though I can't imagine how badly you would have hosed up to be stuck against a single enemy at sub 10% hp before you get the sword.

yeah sorry i didn't accurately time the amount of time it took for mp to recharge enough for doom or x-zone to be worthwhile/available again. when you're sitting around while a harmless enemy wastes your time it tends to feel like ages tho

and the way it happens is you holy an enemy till he's armless, then you realize you have to doom him to finish him off, but oops doom takes huge amounts of mp to finish of MTs and you didn't have enough so you hit stasis and then while you're waiting for your mp to fill up again the enemy is already fattened up again and flailing his worthless stubs at you

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 18, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Condiv posted:

yeah sorry i didn't accurately time the amount of time it took for mp to recharge enough for doom or x-zone to be worthwhile/available again. when you're sitting around while a harmless enemy wastes your time it tends to feel like ages tho

I literally never had this problem. I ran out of MP maybe, once? early on and used an Ether.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Levantine posted:

I literally never had this problem. I ran out of MP maybe, once? early on and used an Ether.

i shouldn't have to use an ether to kill a literally harmless enemy

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Condiv posted:

If you're running out of MP killing it, either its not harmless or you're shockingly bad at the game. Use Ethers, cripes.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Condiv posted:

Point-warping to a safe space should fill your MP back up rather quickly. :eng101:
e: oh wait, maybe that's something you have to unlock in the skill tree.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bill NYSE posted:

Point-warping to a safe space should fill your MP back up rather quickly. :eng101:
e: oh wait, maybe that's something you have to unlock in the skill tree.

You can't point warp at that point of the game.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Levantine posted:

If you're running out of MP killing it, either its not harmless or you're shockingly bad at the game. Use Ethers, cripes.

doom takes a poo poo ton of mp to kill MTs and doesn't actually reduce an enemy's HP. you can run out of MP quite easily trying to doom something if you were using holy to kill it before and didn't have your mp high enough from the holy usage. it only happened once but it was aggravating enough i thought i'd mention it in the reasons chapter 13 sucked for me.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 18, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Levantine posted:

You clearly never used holy on the MTs.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Apparently there's a coliseum and chocobo racing that I just never found over the course of this game

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DalaranJ posted:

You clearly never used holy on the MTs.

That's mostly all I used. The first I've seen that their arms can fall off is here.

e: Holy on the Axe MTs, Aeterna on the Shock Troopers and little demons and Death when necessary to fill in the gaps. Death did damage in my game so I dunno what the issue is!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Death did not do damage in your game. It did make them skinny though.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Levantine posted:

That's mostly all I used. The first I've seen that their arms can fall off is here.

e: Holy on the Axe MTs, Aeterna on the Shock Troopers and little demons and Death when necessary to fill in the gaps. Death did damage in my game so I dunno what the issue is!

it was rare, but it happened and at that point holy isn't an option because even though they flail their arms like they're gonna attack, they are literally harmless at that point. that leaves you with only either doom or x-zone to finish the thing off, and doom needs around 200mp to actually finish the job

e: doom does not do damage, it makes the enemy skinny till they implode and you get hp back.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Death did not do damage in your game. It did make them skinny though.

It absolutely did. It made them skinny and harmed their lifebar at the same time. The death effect kicked in before their bars depleted (when full) but it absolutely, 100% damaged them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Levantine posted:

It absolutely did. It made them skinny and harmed their lifebar at the same time. The death effect kicked in before their bars depleted (when full) but it absolutely, 100% damaged them.

i used it enough on nearly dead armless MTs to know, no it does not deal damage. if it did it wouldn't be such a problem, but even a mostly dead MT would take around 200MP to kill with death.

e: also used it on gargantuas and it did nothing.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 18, 2016

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Levantine posted:

No, dude.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

slev posted:

Apparently there's a coliseum and chocobo racing that I just never found over the course of this game

the coliseum is a disappointment. you bet on monsters engaged in a battle royale, and the monsters who will have a high chance of winning becomes fairly obvious after a few bets.

the grand prize you can get from the coliseum is car part that makes it not need gas. not really worth the effort vs farming up another 10 gil tbh.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

slev posted:

Chocobo racing doesn't have super good rewards, but you can find pears during races that give you new colors (you'll need a guide for this cause they're small as hell, as well as race, time, and even weather specific).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Condiv posted:

the coliseum is a disappointment. you bet on monsters engaged in a battle royale, and the monsters who will have a high chance of winning becomes fairly obvious after a few bets.

the grand prize you can get from the coliseum is car part that makes it not need gas. not really worth the effort vs farming up another 10 gil tbh.

Coliseum is easy and has good rewards. :shrug:

Best polearm and gun until postgame, best reel, unique fishing lure and an ingredient you can sell for 50k. Considering the amount of effort it takes to win, the coliseum is great.

Just avoid any prize that costs over 240k medals because they are cosmetic or worthless.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Wait, did the (Chapter uh... 6ish spoilers) Empire kill Titan? Someone just said "The empire was willing to kill a god, but thankfully we got there to recieve his blessing first" Like, I knew he disappeared from the Ring but nobody said what happened!!!!!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Coliseum is easy and has good rewards. :shrug:

Best polearm and gun until postgame, best reel, unique fishing lure and an ingredient you can sell for 50k. Considering the amount of effort it takes to win, the coliseum is great.

Just avoid any prize that costs over 240k medals because they are cosmetic or worthless.

yeah, it has some good prizes. but it's a disappointment cause it could've been much more. it could have been like the coliseum in kingdom hearts with challenging fights

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Meme Emulator posted:

Wait, did the (Chapter uh... 6ish spoilers) Empire kill Titan? Someone just said "The empire was willing to kill a god, but thankfully we got there to recieve his blessing first" Like, I knew he disappeared from the Ring but nobody said what happened!!!!!

He dead.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

No, dude.

Well for now I'll just have to concede the point. I went back to see if I had a save there to test it but I don't. I am positive it did damage (floating damage numbers and everything) but I can't prove it.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was really excited for this game, but holy poo poo what a let a down.

They basically used the fetch quest model of WoW, the combat system plays like a much worse Kingdom Hearts (I feel like my party members in Kingdom Hearts pulled a similar wait to the main), the magic system is garbage, the story is choppy, and the grid system is a worse FF 10.

My heart is broken.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Can't seem to find anybody else complaining about the size of the save file but mine is 630 megs (PS4 Pro). I have two autosave slots and two manual save slots. Took about 90 photos.

Can't seem to find out how to delete these extra save files in game. The PS file browser only shows one massive file.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

DangerDongs posted:

I was really excited for this game, but holy poo poo what a let a down.

They basically used the fetch quest model of WoW, the combat system plays like a much worse Kingdom Hearts (I feel like my party members in Kingdom Hearts pulled a similar wait to the main), the magic system is garbage, the story is choppy, and the grid system is a worse FF 10.

My heart is broken.

I don't know how you can say the combat is worse than KH, the action is way faster and more kinetic and you don't have to wade through menus. Plus you have actually different weapons that you can switch to on the fly. The magic system is fine, magic is more powerful than its ever been, and I for one end up only using the same small handful of spells in each game so the lack of spell variety doesn't bother me in the slightest. Plus the whole limited resources thing hardly matters when you can pump materials in and get like 15+ uses.

The Ascention thing is similar to the Sphere Grid inasmuch as they're both ability progression systems with circles, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. It's more like XII's Liscense Board, though obviously still not a 1:1 analogue.

:agreed: on the quests and main story, but the dynamic between the main four on the anime road trip makes the game for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Meme Emulator posted:

Sorta. I think the official story that the Empire told everyone is that they killed him but the Noctis party got there before and received his blessing, so Titan disappeared. You'll get more information about astrals and how killing them works later in the story.

EDIT: By the way Here's a list of the Royal Arms movesets and what parts are unique. Some are definitely worth keeping in a weapon slot to use when warping, though watch out for the ones that give negative stats.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 18, 2016

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Finally beat the game, this ranks as the second best FF for me right behind 6. Someone called it National Lampoon's Anime Vacation, and I thought that was pretty accurate. The second half was incredibly disjointed and incoherent, but was still fun, and a NG+ in six months or a year with all of the DLCs should be much better. A shame that half the game is paywalled with DLC that isn't out yet, but unlike something like DX:MD, we still got good value for the base game.

I thought chapter 13 was good, definitely the only chapter of the last half that was more than a quarter finished, but I bought 99 ethers at the first vending machine and literally just held down square or circle and popped an ether whenever my MP ran out, and also liberally used those items that gave you infinite MP for a while. I figured I might as well use all those items for convenience to make the level more fun, since it was unlikely I would ever actually need them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My biggest problem with the game is just that I honestly hated the grounded in reality bit. Almost nothing felt really fantastical like previous games and the fact only humans walked around talking to people was just kind of lame. It's not that I hated the roadtrip aspect or anything like that, it just wasn't... cartoony enough? The characters made quips time to time but everything felt way too serious and dull and It really really didn't feel like much of a Final Fantasy game to me, Everything was just kind of muted and dull and it lost a lot of the series charm because of it. The Iron Giants were some of the only monsters I saw that made me go "Wow that transitioned perfectly!"

When I first saw a tonberry in the end game I laughed because it just looked so out of place.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I just need to finish levelling cooking for the platinum now. Bought the season pass, I just want to keep driving around and cooking ribs.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
i like the modern tech and magic mix. I feel like it's not often used in rpgs and high fantasy is getting a little old, (like if this were orcs and dragons, the witcher kinda mastered that)

I like that the npcs knew not to like step outside at night or go into weird caves because of things like liches but braved fighting or running from your giant 6 foot crab every now and again to get things done during the day.

I wish there was more discussion in NPC's about other mystical things besides just the metorite + atlas but devlopment likely was the case.

The story of the summons even seems to be in a childrens book throughout the world.

I kinda wish more games toed more towards the future, even star ocean 3 you spend like 90% of the game on a medevial planet.

But ff's have been pretty decent about mixing tech and fantasy, like in FF8, 10, 10-2, 12 and 13 series.

Cyberpunk 2077 should be cool to see because we'll get to see cd projekt red go full on cyberpunk with witcher depth quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i like all the coleman product placement in the game

• Locked thread